Chernobyl - Evangelion similarities

For serious and at times in-depth discussions only, covering the original TV series, the movies End of Evangelion and Death & Rebirth.

Moderator: Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion and abide by them.
Duke
Ramiel
Ramiel

Chernobyl - Evangelion similarities

•      
  •      

Postby Duke » Sun Mar 11, 2012 4:36 pm

I noticed this while I was reading about Chernobyl and the Chernobyl disaster and whatnot last night. I don't know if it's intentional or if I'm just subconsciously making it fit.

At Chernobyl, nuclear reactors 1, 2, and 3 all worked fine. Reactor 4 exploded, and reactors 5 and 6 were being built but never finished after 4 exploded. After reactor 4 exploded, the entire area around the plant had to be evacuated.

In Evangelion, the first three evas worked fine, Eva unit-04 more or less exploded, taking the entire NERV base around it with it. If I remember correctly, Misato says that evas #05 and #06 were under construction but later scrapped when she's talking about the mass production evas.

D'you think this was intentional or am I just stretching it to make it fit?

(also, I'm not sure if this belonged in Evangelion Discussion or Evangelion chit-chat. Oh well, so sorry if it's in the wrong forum.)

Stallard
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Stallard » Sun Mar 11, 2012 4:57 pm

Probably just coincidental. No effort was made to maintain the similarities in the Rebuild of Evangelion movies.
Memento mori.

Hirdy
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Hirdy » Mon Mar 12, 2012 3:10 am

I don't think it be some they put in on puppose, cause well they have more than six evas to oppose the six reactors... apart from that, it seems pretty unusual to say the least
Nothin important here, keep scrollin

Kendrix
Defender of Puppy Boy
Defender of Puppy Boy

•      
  •      

Postby Kendrix » Mon Mar 12, 2012 2:54 pm

That's just four being an unlucky number in Japan (and, apparently, in real life as well)
I wanted to try harvesting the rice

I wanted to hold Tsubame more

I wanted to stay together forever with the boy I like

ReiAyanami25
Israfel
Israfel

•      
  •      

Postby ReiAyanami25 » Mon Mar 12, 2012 11:47 pm

The similarities are visible, but they do not seem to be significant enough to be actual references.
生は、死の始まり。そして再生は、夢の終わり。
"I write only because there is a voice within me that will not be still." - SP

Rei Ayanami's beauty comes from the truth that she has feelings...the struggle to draw your feelings forth, the reconciliation between your surface and your death - that, I believe, is where we truly become alive, truly become human beings." -Hayashibara Megumi

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Tue Mar 13, 2012 12:13 am

Actually, the fourth Eva (Eva-03) got a fungal infection and had to be put down. Eva-04 didn't explode, either; it was sucked into another dimension and took its surroundings with it.

I'm still not completely sure what Misato was implying, if anything, about Eva-05 and -06. I have to ask symbv about that line when he gets back.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

TehDonutKing
Camel Dilettante
Camel Dilettante

•      
  •      

Postby TehDonutKing » Tue Mar 13, 2012 4:37 pm

View Original PostKendrix wrote:That's just four being an unlucky number in Japan (and, apparently, in real life as well)

So Japan isn't real?
/hj

I said and did some dumb and hurtful things in my time here when i was younger. If i ever hurt you, i'm sorry. If you see any of this while reading old threads, i'm learning and trying to improve. Donut redemption arc in progress.

Hyper Shinchan
Younger God
Younger God

•      
  •      

Postby Hyper Shinchan » Thu Mar 15, 2012 7:03 am

View Original PostTehDonutKing wrote:So Japan isn't real?

I'm not sure but maybe she wanted to say that it's an unlucky number in both Japan's folklore and real life.
View Original PostReichu wrote:I'm still not completely sure what Misato was implying, if anything, about Eva-05 and -06. I have to ask symbv about that line when he gets back.

Personally I think that removing 3 arms to repair Eva-00 and Eva-02 would just delay the completion of those units, why would they have to scrap them?
So let’s make a wish.
“Please let me redo again.”
No matter how many times

From the book “All About Nagisa Kaworu: A Child of Evangelion”.

TehDonutKing
Camel Dilettante
Camel Dilettante

•      
  •      

Postby TehDonutKing » Thu Mar 15, 2012 3:01 pm

View Original PostHyper Changsha wrote:I'm not sure but maybe she wanted to say that it's an unlucky number in both Japan's folklore and real life.

:fuyu_facepalm:
/hj

I said and did some dumb and hurtful things in my time here when i was younger. If i ever hurt you, i'm sorry. If you see any of this while reading old threads, i'm learning and trying to improve. Donut redemption arc in progress.

Warren Peace
Potential Pilot
Potential Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby Warren Peace » Thu Mar 15, 2012 10:10 pm

I starting to hate that Fuyutsuki emoticon. It's only used when people want to be condescending.

Hyper Shinchan
Younger God
Younger God

•      
  •      

Postby Hyper Shinchan » Fri Mar 16, 2012 7:15 am

View Original PostWarren Peace wrote:I starting to hate that Fuyutsuki emoticon. It's only used when people want to be condescending.

Well, people knows countless ways to be condescending, for example they can play bad jokes with your nickname, that emoticon doesn't make much of a difference.
So let’s make a wish.
“Please let me redo again.”
No matter how many times

From the book “All About Nagisa Kaworu: A Child of Evangelion”.

TehDonutKing
Camel Dilettante
Camel Dilettante

•      
  •      

Postby TehDonutKing » Fri Mar 16, 2012 3:38 pm

I wasn't trying to be condescending. Also, the name thing was just me messing around with FireFox's spellcheck out of boredom.
/hj

valshon
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby valshon » Sat Mar 17, 2012 12:35 am

I can see a connection between the destruction and inhospitable conditions, but we are comparing a small region of the Ukraine to 2I which is world wide. Also people died from a tsunami and military conflicts versus radiation and cancer. IMO the strongest argument for similarities are government commissions trying to cover up the events.

Return to “Evangelion TV Series + EoE Discussion”