Since when does my GF force ME to watch NGE?

This is the place to start: Feel free to introduce yourself, have general conversations and casual discussions about all things Evangelion, including chit-chatty topics like "Sachiel is adorable" or "Which Eva kicks the most ass?"

Moderator: Board Staff

Vegeta 20XX
XX0↊ ɐʇǝƃǝɅ

Since when does my GF force ME to watch NGE?

•      
  •      

Postby Vegeta 20XX » Mon Feb 20, 2012 9:11 pm

Back in the olden days, I used to pressure her to watch it with me almost every day, but as time went on, I lost an interest and now my GF wants me to regain it for some reason. Somehow, though, I've been trying to avoid it until tonight - she's made me download the series in its entirety with the intent of watching it with me (we watched Inuyasha, Full Metal Alchemist, One Piece, and Monster together in the same fashion).

Am I embarrassed of my former obsession with Evangelion? Do I fear her disappointment, or, at worst, her insane laughter? I don't know what she'll think!

Do I take it like a man and manage to regain what was lost to me? Or do I run like fuck and hope I never have to worry about it?

"I mustn't run away" seems more fitting now than ever...
Avatar: Apophis' shifty-looking gaze as he invades the SGC.
Vegeta 20XX: Actually pixelated, and the self proclaimed "King of the screw up". - Fazmotron
The most awesome thing ever. Seriously.
I witnessed a young girl ohhh about 12 years of age or so fall off a snowbank then proceed to say "Fuck you snowhill that hurt" - Dataprime
For those who put things like "Chuckman x Chuckmen" and "Follower of the Chuckman x Chuckman pairing" in their signatures: All you need is fuck.

Tankred
Anime Ja Nai
Anime Ja Nai

•      
  •      

Postby Tankred » Mon Feb 20, 2012 9:37 pm

You gotta be a man for yo girl, guy.

r0ach
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby r0ach » Mon Feb 20, 2012 10:04 pm

When I tried getting my girl to watch Eva she laughed and hated it so much. Typically in my experience the two don't go together very well. You should live it up
"I knew a girl........... had a dozen guys. One of them found out about it, beat her up so bad she ended up in a hospital on Guerrero street."~ Mark

ONIAgent150
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby ONIAgent150 » Mon Feb 20, 2012 10:10 pm

I know a two girls who love Evangelion long before I ever heard about it. If she's been through that many series with you, I doubt there will be anything different about Evangelion for her. Until you get to the tonal shift midway through the series... that will be the real test.
AVATAR: Zer0 from Borderlands 2.

Kamon-san
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Kamon-san » Mon Feb 20, 2012 10:53 pm

You know, I wouldn't be too worried about the change of tone halfway through the series... for all we know, this is what could get her REALLY interested in the show. Didn't the original Full Metal Alchemist anime go through a change of tone towards the end of the series too?

Na7e
Bardiel
Bardiel

•      
  •      

Postby Na7e » Mon Feb 20, 2012 11:58 pm

View Original PostKamon-san wrote:You know, I wouldn't be too worried about the change of tone halfway through the series... for all we know, this is what could get her REALLY interested in the show. Didn't the original Full Metal Alchemist anime go through a change of tone towards the end of the series too?

Yeah in both the original, and Brotherhood. But, nothing compared to the soul crushing that was the descent arc in Evangelion.

ONIAgent150
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby ONIAgent150 » Tue Feb 21, 2012 12:05 am

Evangelion is a unique test of mental fortitude and, though I haven't personally experienced this, I suspect that would go double for a relationship. Tell us how it goes!

Fireand'chutes77
Sahaquiel
Sahaquiel

•      
  •      

Postby Fireand'chutes77 » Tue Feb 21, 2012 4:03 am

Take it from Shinji: Be a pussy, get th.... well, you know how it goes.
"I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. JSDF attack ships on fire during Operation Yashima. I watched particle beams glitter in the dark near the Geofront. All these moments will be lost in time. Like LCL in rain. Time to die." ~ ANT Pogo
Asuka: founder of

Asuka
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Asuka » Tue Feb 21, 2012 5:00 am

I used to force my bf to watch it with me, but he gave up after 6 or 8 episodes...cause he is a pussy ;)
I'm going to get the whole series (including EoE and D&R) and watch it with him in one sitting - no excuses then!

Tankred
Anime Ja Nai
Anime Ja Nai

•      
  •      

Postby Tankred » Tue Feb 21, 2012 9:17 am

View Original PostFireand'chutes77 wrote:Take it from Shinji: Be a pussy, get th.... well, you know how it goes.

In this case, he'll just look like a pussy.

Fireball
First Ancestor
First Ancestor

•      
  •      

Postby Fireball » Tue Feb 21, 2012 9:50 am

>Your girlfriend will never tie you up and make you watch animu against your will.

"I was born into the wrong time" - laughed the girl

「<ゝω・)\綺羅星☆!!/
[/size]

liquidus118
Zeruel
Zeruel

•      
  •      

Postby liquidus118 » Tue Feb 21, 2012 10:59 am

Your gf is making you watch Eva with her? You're a lucky guy if you ask me.
Tell us how she reacts to the latter half and EoE.

driftking18594
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

•      
  •      

Postby driftking18594 » Tue Feb 21, 2012 12:01 pm

View Original PostAsuka wrote:I used to force my bf to watch it with me, but he gave up after 6 or 8 episodes...cause he is a pussy ;)

A user named Asuka has a boyfriend who is a pussy. Sounds familiar... :shinchair:

r0ach
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby r0ach » Tue Feb 21, 2012 3:37 pm

View Original Postdriftking18594 wrote:A user named Asuka has a boyfriend who is a pussy. Sounds familiar... :shinchair:

I see what you did there
"I knew a girl........... had a dozen guys. One of them found out about it, beat her up so bad she ended up in a hospital on Guerrero street."~ Mark

Vegeta 20XX
XX0↊ ɐʇǝƃǝɅ

•      
  •      

Postby Vegeta 20XX » Tue Feb 21, 2012 5:38 pm

View Original PostONIAgent150 wrote:I know a two girls who love Evangelion long before I ever heard about it. If she's been through that many series with you, I doubt there will be anything different about Evangelion for her. Until you get to the tonal shift midway through the series... that will be the real test.

Well, the thing is...she's seen it already. All twenty-six episodes of it. She hated it, and now she's giving it a second go to see if she'll have a different view of it this time around - THAT'S the big catch here.
Vegeta 20XX: Actually pixelated, and the self proclaimed "King of the screw up". - Fazmotron
I witnessed a young girl ohhh about 12 years of age or so fall off a snowbank then proceed to say "Fuck you snowhill that hurt" - Dataprime
For those who put things like "Chuckman x Chuckmen" and "Follower of the Chuckman x Chuckman pairing" in their signatures: All you need is fuck.

ONIAgent150
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby ONIAgent150 » Tue Feb 21, 2012 7:21 pm

How long has it been since she first saw it and what drew her back to it?

Trajan
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby Trajan » Tue Feb 21, 2012 8:37 pm

I actually hated Evangelion when I first watched it...but it kept sucking me back in and by Episode 16 I was riveted.
Movin' Right Along
"Everything has its beauty but not everyone sees it." - Confucius
"All styles are good except the tiresome kind." - Voltaire

Vegeta 20XX
XX0↊ ɐʇǝƃǝɅ

•      
  •      

Postby Vegeta 20XX » Tue Feb 21, 2012 9:04 pm

View Original PostONIAgent150 wrote:How long has it been since she first saw it and what drew her back to it?

A: A couple of years. B: The fact that I pretty much lost interest in it - it was a defining aspect of my personality that I was an Evangelion fanboy (similarly, I've lost my love of fighting games for the most part too).

ONIAgent150
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby ONIAgent150 » Tue Feb 21, 2012 10:10 pm

Ah, so it sounds like she is getting interested as a direct result of you not being interested? Is this something that's happened in the past? Like you stop loving Egg McMuffins and she starts liking them? Or is this solely an NGE thing?

Vegeta 20XX
XX0↊ ɐʇǝƃǝɅ

•      
  •      

Postby Vegeta 20XX » Wed Feb 22, 2012 7:05 pm

View Original PostONIAgent150 wrote:Ah, so it sounds like she is getting interested as a direct result of you not being interested? Is this something that's happened in the past? Like you stop loving Egg McMuffins and she starts liking them? Or is this solely an NGE thing?

Such as the fact that I'm not interested in Mugen, either.

Return to “Evangelion General and Chit-Chat”