Commentary Episode 01 Re-opened

For discussion of and submissions for the EvaGeeks Wiki and Commentary. Open to all posters.

Moderators: UrsusArctos, Board Staff

thewayneiac
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

Commentary Episode 01 Re-opened

•      
  •      

Postby thewayneiac » Tue Feb 14, 2012 4:12 pm

EvaGeeks is pleased to announce the re-opening of Episode 01 for comments. We know that most of you have joined us since the initial phase of the commentary, and that you have been anxious to add your two cents. The old timers should feel free to add to their comments as well.

http://wiki.evageeks.org/FGC:Episode_01

As always, index your comments by cut # so we know where to put them.

Enjoy!

(Oh, and you should probably keep in mind that many of our old commenters have left us and likely will not respond to any replies you make to their comments. The ones who are still with us are a different story.)
Rejoice, glory is ours. Our young men have not died in vain. Their graves need no flowers. The tapes have recorded their names.
I am all there is.
Negative! Primative! Limited! I let you live.
But I gave you life.
What else could you do?
To do what was right.
I'm perfect, are you?

Twin Drive Sigma Aquarion
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Twin Drive Sigma Aquarion » Tue Feb 14, 2012 4:42 pm

02, 040: Taby's gonna be ticked I broke one of his model VTOLs.

02, 050: I don't get it, am I supposed to be hurt?

03, 099: That was my favorite mask! Now what am I going to wear when my fellow life forms reclaim our planet for you? At least in the Rebuild movies it'll take less damage.

03, 130: No more pictures! Seriously, get lost you paparazzi goons!

08, 342: Wait, what the hell is that?

08, 344: Liliy? Is that you? Out of the way, I think Adam is here somewhere.
So depressed am I
Missing you I do TK
Gone from paradise

KnightmareX13
Seepage Murid
Seepage Murid

•      
  •      

Postby KnightmareX13 » Tue Feb 14, 2012 5:26 pm

scene 3 cut 100: reminds me of the rednecks I've seen with pickups held together with duct tape, aka duck tape.
scene 4 cut 147: Speak of the devil
scene 5 cut 169A: The way the buildings are lit up reminds me of Las Vegas
scene 6 cut 214: It looks like Unit-01 has a grinning shark's mouth painted on it
scene 8 cut 311: Shinji: "Hey where did all the trippy lights go?"
"This is for the record. History is written by the victor. History is filled with liars. If he lives, and we die, his truth becomes written - and ours is lost..." -- Cpt. Price
"Damn the torpedoes" -- ADM Farragut
"I have not yet begun to fight!" -- Cpt. John Paul Jones
"Don't be alarmed, we're taking over the ship" -- Cpt. Jack Sparrow
Napalm Sticks to kids ♣ Λ

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Wed Feb 15, 2012 2:50 am

Hey, guys, the commentary is supposed to be actual discussion about the scenes; we're not trying to out-do the Commentary of Evil.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

thewayneiac
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby thewayneiac » Wed Feb 15, 2012 12:17 pm

Humorous comments are welcome on the Commentary, and have been included in every episode. However, bear in mind that humor is subjective, and they will likely be included only if the commentary editors find them to actually be funny.

This makes serious comments more likely to be accepted for the commentary. So even those who primarilly enjoy making wise-cracks should try to include some serious comments as well. This will increase the chances of both being included in the commentary. (I'll admit to a little bit of bias here. If I think that a poster is taking the project too lightly, I'm more likely to exclude his jokes. Fortunately, we have other people who can add comments in case I leave out anything deserving.)

So any of you who posted to Ep. 05-06 and wondered why some posters had 90% of their comments included, while you had only about 20%, the answer probably lies in your serious/funny ratio.

(Of course, we realize that some scenes will of neccessity trigger funny comments, for instance, Misato's bad cooking, Pen Pen's reaction to Shinji's thermal expansion, ect. That's just fine.)

Once again, I'm not saying "no jokes", just keep them funny, and use them in their proper proportions.
Rejoice, glory is ours. Our young men have not died in vain. Their graves need no flowers. The tapes have recorded their names.
I am all there is.
But I gave you life.
What else could you do?
To do what was right.
I'm perfect, are you?

Ornette
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Ornette » Wed Feb 15, 2012 3:01 pm

Cut 196:
In an interview with Anno and (RahXephon's) Yutaka Izubuchi, they mention how this reveal of Eva-01 was textbook "Combattler-V" ( http://forum.evageeks.org/post/517418/Anno-interview-about-RahXephon/#517418 ). Anno goes on to say "Yeah, the first episode of Con-V is the standard, orthodox way of doing it. All characters are gathered, and the robot is shown from the face first. In the manga Mazinger, beyond the startled face of Koji, there's the face of the robot. You have a robot, and it has a face. That's what the face is there for."

InstrumentalityOne
Strawberries & Peaches
Strawberries & Peaches

•      
  •      

Postby InstrumentalityOne » Wed Feb 15, 2012 3:33 pm

Ritsuko looks pretty pissed in that cut.
You can already see that she doesn't really like Shinji that much.

Shinji IS THAT YOUR GIRLFRIEND?

How come Misato is still standing while "Shinji fell on his butt"?

So, she didn't fall on her butt from the explosion, but (harhar) from Shogouki lifting her arm?
Really goes to show how massive that thing is

That display implies that the catapult has multiple routes, which is really strange, because it looks like Shogouki has just been sent straight to the surface.
I highly doubt that the catapult shaft is curved, so the lift has to actually brake and come to a halt, transfer the eva onto another lift and then send it to the surface.
But something like an "angled lift" was only shown in the Rebuild movies.
So, what in the world happened here?

Dream
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby Dream » Wed Feb 15, 2012 6:12 pm

The anxiety is gutting me, anyway (spoilered for lenght):

SPOILER: Show
I wonder if Shinji was secretly trying to get Misato to be warm and gentle to him (he never had a mother after all), or he was secretly hoping she would reassure his feelings towars his father, whichever they might be? But i'm pretty sure that he didn't expect the answer he got, so much for a subtle/sneaky approach.

Funny way of trying to ignore reality, pretty stupid, but funny.

Shinji seems extremely ashamed in this frame, i guess that's why he ran away from him around... Three years ago i think. He just couldn't stand that high look reminding him how pathethic and "wicked" he is... Well, that's how the scenario is in his head anyway.

And now begins one of my favorite scenes and songs from NGE. I believe this is easily the most Shinji-centered scene in all of NGE (well, maybe) The pacing, the direction, the dialogue, the sheer intensity with this feeling of tragedy and... Fate, what he has to do, an unavoidable sacrifice Shinji has to perform and he has no idea why, why they chose him, why he has to do it, and how they can think this worthless cowardly child (his assumed feelings, yet they are true to a certain extent) can possibly do something, anything, good without fucking it up.

I honestly think that in his head Shinji is thinking "this can't be.." in tears. In this frame he reminds me of an ostrich hiding his head in the sand, don't really know why tough.

I guess this is a way of Anno to convey how secretly screwed up or dark is the concept of child pilots or chosen ones.

Sad, cruel, horrible, heartbreaking and true.

Actually i think some of the workers have the Ritsuko expression and others the Misato expression, i feel it as a nice way of conveying just how much of a central role in the whole Shinji has taken now wether he wants it or not.

A boy and his duty. I really like this shot of Shinji looking down in shame, crushed by pain, and the Eva in the background, giant, covering it all, actually, the final frames of I.Shinji. are all deeply symbolic to me.

You know, i can't avoid thinking that Anno included the Cross symbol in here to represent/convey the role of savior/atoner of mankind that Shinji is going to carry for the series, he who was boiled alive for our sins. I wonder if the fact that the angel caused the cross has any meaning? In any case the i think the I. Shinji scene is much more profound than that, i think.

Very appropiate that the Rei 1 theme starts here, in a way we are all replaceable aren't we? :D

I say this to feel badass or when i need to get out :D. On a more serious note, there is a quote i remember now "One minute of good overrides the crimes of history." for some reason i feel it applies to this, in the last frame Shinji looks like a knight. I really like that look on him.

And this is why i believe, ultimately, that Shinji is a good or even admirable person. The tone and way he says "I'll pilot it" is almost knightly or heroic. A badass in his own way.

Sorry if i added anything ridiculous.
"Every line is a joy" -Kaworu Nagisa.

"Nothing great was ever achieved without enthusiasm." - Ralph Waldo Emerson.

Xana
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby Xana » Thu Feb 16, 2012 1:02 am

Cut #001: And the journey begins!

Cut #016: Shinji looks surprisingly good in that black uniform, I think he looks a bit older.

Cut #022: Rei! get out of there! don't you know it's dangerous to just stand in the middle of the street?! >.<

Cut #180: Misato's expression is kinda cute here ^_^

Cut #258: The Goddess of bandages makes her big entrance! in bandages....

Actually, I couldn't think of any better way to introduce us to Rei, this was the perfect way to do it; seeing her lying on a bed injured from the very beginning gives her this aura of fragility which she maintains throughout the show and which is totally fitting for her; most viewers would feel pity and would want to grab her and protect her; most, I said.

Cut #262: I'm in pain when Rei's in pain.

I always admired the way Rei's so determined that she wouldn't refuse to fight even if she were dying and falling apart. And here I thought going to school with a mild headache would kill me :p

Cut #288: Rei's heavy breathing was one of the most painful things to hear.

thewayneiac
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby thewayneiac » Thu Feb 16, 2012 8:27 pm

View Original PostInstrumentalityOne wrote:#212
Ritsuko looks pretty pissed in that cut.
You can already see that she doesn't really like Shinji that much.

I don't know about that. There's no sign that she dislikes Shinji in scenes where they interact, for instance, this scene:

[url]http://wiki.evageeks.org/FGC:Episode_05_Scene_04[/url]

She just seems determined to get the job done; it is an emergency after all.
I am all there is.
But I gave you life.
What else could you do?
To do what was right.
I'm perfect, are you?

ReiAyanami25
Israfel
Israfel

•      
  •      

Postby ReiAyanami25 » Sat Feb 18, 2012 11:49 pm

#030- The way Sachiel walks amuses me. The swinging of the arms is especially interesting.
生は、死の始まり。そして再生は、夢の終わり。
"I write only because there is a voice within me that will not be still." - SP

Rei Ayanami's beauty comes from the truth that she has feelings...the struggle to draw your feelings forth, the reconciliation between your surface and your death - that, I believe, is where we truly become alive, truly become human beings." -Hayashibara Megumi

InstrumentalityOne
Strawberries & Peaches
Strawberries & Peaches

•      
  •      

Postby InstrumentalityOne » Tue Feb 21, 2012 6:33 pm

View Original Postthewayneiac wrote:I don't know about that. There's no sign that she dislikes Shinji in scenes where they interact, for instance, this scene:

[url]http://wiki.evageeks.org/FGC:Episode_05_Scene_04[/url]

She just seems determined to get the job done; it is an emergency after all.

But her way of telling Shinji what to do seemed almost motherly.
Can you see what I'm playing at?

thewayneiac
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby thewayneiac » Tue Feb 21, 2012 7:32 pm

View Original PostInstrumentalityOne wrote:But her way of telling Shinji what to do seemed almost motherly.
Can you see what I'm playing at?

No, I must be missing something. How does her being motherly square with her not liking him?
I am all there is.
But I gave you life.
What else could you do?
To do what was right.
I'm perfect, are you?

Jayfive
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby Jayfive » Thu Feb 23, 2012 6:25 pm

View Original PostMr. Tines wrote:Hey, guys, the commentary is supposed to be actual discussion about the scenes; we're not trying to out-do the Commentary of Evil.

Or Rifftrax.

InstrumentalityOne
Strawberries & Peaches
Strawberries & Peaches

•      
  •      

Postby InstrumentalityOne » Sat Feb 25, 2012 4:44 pm

View Original Postthewayneiac wrote:No, I must be missing something. How does her being motherly square with her not liking him?

Well, maybe I am looking to hard into this, but I always got the feel that Akagi is kind of jealous of the fact that "Shinji" is not her child she made with Gendo.
Her desire to act like his mother and being possessive of him is there IMO.
The fun part is that she's doing all that in front of Shogouki, lol.

UrsusArctos
The Beginning and The End
The Beginning and The End

•      
  •      

Postby UrsusArctos » Tue Feb 28, 2012 12:26 pm

074 - The initial flash of the N2 mine exploding here seems to be cross-shaped, before it becomes a 'regular' explosion.

075 - Sachiel should've been catapulted high into the air when the N2 mine sent the earth below his feet skywards. Same goes for the Israfel twins when they turn up.
(Was Board Staff from Dec 31, 2007 - Oct 17, 2015 and Oct 20, 2020 - Aug 1, 2021)
Not knowing that Monk is bi is like not knowing the Pope is Catholic - ZapX
You're either really bad at interpreting jokes or really good at pretending you are and I have no idea which.-Monk Ed
WAAAAAAAAGH!!!!!(<-link to lunacy)...Taste me, if you can bear it. (Warning: Language NSFW)
The main point of idiocy is for the smart to have their lulz. Without human idiocy, trolling would not exist, and that's uncool, since a large part of my entertainment consists of mocking the absurdity and dumbassery of the world, especially the Internet.-MaggotMaster

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Tue Feb 28, 2012 2:17 pm

View Original PostUrsusArctos wrote:Sachiel should've been catapulted high into the air
Newton's Third Law is an early casualty in anime physics (shortly after the first catgirl).
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

Kendrix
Defender of Puppy Boy
Defender of Puppy Boy

•      
  •      

Postby Kendrix » Wed Apr 04, 2012 7:34 am

Just wanna apologize that I haven't posted yet even tough I was the one whining about why this isn't open yet, some real life stuff kept me from doing it.
My comments will follow shortly, perhaps even today.

I just hope I didn't fail that damned math exam again... I think I should have enough of it right this time, but math exams are rather unpredictable... *sigh*
I wanted to try harvesting the rice

I wanted to hold Tsubame more

I wanted to stay together forever with the boy I like

Ceimoa Nan
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby Ceimoa Nan » Fri Apr 06, 2012 11:47 pm

023: This exact shot, including the birds flying away, is reused when Shinji and Rei run into each other in Episode 26's alternate reality. Considering how many other times this image, with or without the birds, is reused, it might not have been as intentional as I suspect. But I thought it was poignant how their silly first meeting in the alternate reality so subtly echoes their spooky, melancholic first meeting in real life.

035: I love the way the missile looks like it flew right through the title card. It's just... cool.

Sephizim
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby Sephizim » Wed Apr 11, 2012 10:37 pm

I make my triumphant return to the forum (as if anyone remembers me anyway) to do the kind of thing I pretty joined the forum to do in the first place! (Spoiler'd for length, etc, etc)

SPOILER: Show
002: Really listen to track A-8 on S^2 Works, and how cheesily it sounds like the Jaws theme, and then think about how it would have sounded over this... Not only would it have ruined the scene, just imagine the impression that would leave on so many starting off the show like that.

035: Another reason why I like that there isn't any music prior to this point. Everything before the title card has a slow, quiet, eerie silence, which puts you in a tense, anxious mood. The city is empty, the military is sitting there, waiting, and this... thing appears. We, like Shinji, are given a few seconds to stare uncomprehendingly (and a brief introduction to NERV, as well as what this creature is called), and then, BAM! Title card, "Angel Attack," and dynamic shot of a missile flying right from the camera. Its a great way to really break the tension, I've always felt.

038: I like moments where you see the collateral damage on a smaller scale like this. The Rebuild movies do this a lot more than the original series did, but I like little inserts like this one.

039: Say what you will about the English dub, but I can't help but smile when I hear, "EVERY SINGLE MISSILE HIT THE TARGET!!!"

060: The fact that the UN guys are there raises an interesting point. How far in advance did they know about Sachiel's approach? For all later Angels, they seem to detect their approach at a close enough distance that they really only have time to sortie the EVAs before the Angel reaches the GeoFront. Hardly enough time for the UN guys to go all the way to NERV HQ. Seems to me that getting those guys there would take more time than just the distance traveled to NERV HQ. Or, at least more time than they ever get with the subsequent Angels. Did they know Sachiel was going to be there? I mean, SEELE and NERV have the Dead Sea Scrolls, etc, but even so, it at least appears that they don’t know exactly WHEN the Angels are going to appear. Maybe I’m missing something, but it seems strange that they’d happen to be there the day that the first Angel in 15 years shows up...

065: This is probably the first time in the episode that Sachiel looks truly menacing.

072: Given what we know about Shinji, it is as equally likely that he's staring at her chest as it is that he's absorbed in such a mundane detail as her cross. Could even be both, or that one stemmed from the other.

088: For an initial contact, this is pretty positive for Shinji. Looking at how standoffish he is when meeting new people throughout the rest of the series, one has to wonder if he was a little bit better at opening up before this point, and just becomes more and more disillusioned as the series goes on...

103: I always found it interesting that "Barefoot in the Park" appears among a bunch of upbeat yet ultimately unused tracks in S^2 works. Listening to some of these tracks, you have to wonder how Sagisu conceptualized the show while he was composing, considering that this piece is really only used in an ironic kind of way...

124: Again, Shinji seems to open up to Misato much faster than anyone else in the series. He's already at the point of criticizing her. Typically, he'd still be keeping his feelings to himself. In fact, his openness with Misato only ever seems to regress from this point onward...

129: Gendo probably uses "weapon" to refer to the fact that the Angels really are a tool for mankind's destruction. They really don't serve much of a purpose beyond that, or at least not as far as he's concerned.

163B: It seems to me that this is the moment that marks the beginning of Shinji's shift into being less able to be open with Misato. Funny that it happens after she brings up something they actually have in common. When she was a nebulous unknown entity, she was approachable. Now that he know something about her, suddenly he doesn't know what to do.

165: Maybe it's just me, but it's strange to see Shinji so excited about something like this. Makes you realize just how much setting foot into the EVA even one time really affected the poor kid...

185: See, now this is the kind of introduction more fitting of Shinji. Hiding away by being distracted (or pretending to be distracted) by reading. Either way, meeting a new person is not on the forefront of his mind here.

205: I always felt like the melody of this song sounds like the song "America" in a minor key. Now that I've said this, you're all going to start singing "My country 'tis of thee..." somberly every time you hear this song from now on.

226: I like the brief moment of hesitance here. I always felt like Shinji is at war with himself in a way. His nature as a doormat is to just go along with things, just because he prefers to avoid conflict. However, this is something he absolutely doesn't want to do, not only because it is completely unknown to him, but due to his disappointment that Gendo only called him to do a job, not reconcile or anything. However, it's not as easy as saying no. Once he does, everyone starts to fight him on it. He hesitates here, because his natural instinct would be to cave to the pressure and just do it so people won't be mad at him. In this case, however, his disappointment in Gendo outweighs all that. (This is only one of many, many ways where Shinji's life parallels my own...)

242: Breaking point. He obviously has some affinity for Misato, and seeing that she's now angry at him (or at least that's likely how he perceives that line), he pretty much wants to crawl in a corner and die. He wants nothing more to be away from this situation where people are angry at him, his father is as much of a douche as ever, and they're trying to get him to do things he doesn't want to.

245: Better to just avoid her than face her perceived disappointment in him. Piloting the EVA is the last thing on his mind right now.

268: The lighting on Unit-01 always bugged me here. Just looks weird.

293: Of course, a pretty girl is the one thing that will motivate him. He needed this to put the situation in perspective. It's not about his grudge with his father (well, okay, it still sort of is), its about protecting innocent people. I fully believe Gendo knew that when he called Rei in. Bastard.

297: This is the first time we see Maya, isn't it? Well, aside from 138 and 140, but we don't get clear view of her until now. We don't even get any closeups of Hyuga and Aoba in this episode.

315: The shadows and the angle make Unit-01 look pretty weird here...

Return to “Wiki Editing and Discussion”