Is all life on earth descended from Lilith?

For serious and at times in-depth discussions only, covering the original TV series, the movies End of Evangelion and Death & Rebirth.

Moderator: Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion and abide by them.
kylethestrange
Embryo

Is all life on earth descended from Lilith?

•      
  •      

Postby kylethestrange » Wed Feb 08, 2012 4:09 am

If humanity was born from Lilith and we are the 18th angel, what does that make all other life? In the third impact were animals and plants reduced to LCL as well? or were they just destroyed in the process?
This has made me wonder, humanity appeared like 200,000 years ago. So was that when Lilith possibly spawned us, like Adam spawned the angels?
Why would angels come out fully evolved, and not as some bacteria that has to evolve for millions of years like life started on earth?

TheMarauder
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby TheMarauder » Wed Feb 08, 2012 7:06 am

While chances are Reichu or someone has a very in depth answer to your question, I think you're just reading to deeply into the idea of life coming from Lilith.

Yes, in Eva all life on Earth came from Lilith, but trying to place dates and factor in evolution will just result in more headaches than satisfying answers.

Kendrix
Defender of Puppy Boy
Defender of Puppy Boy

•      
  •      

Postby Kendrix » Wed Feb 08, 2012 7:56 am

Maybe only humanity is included in the angel count because after a long process of evolution from puddles of LCL, we were the first ones to fully manifest the fruit of knowdledge?
I wanted to try harvesting the rice

I wanted to hold Tsubame more

I wanted to stay together forever with the boy I like

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Wed Feb 08, 2012 8:23 am

A lot of relevant discussion came up here not too long ago:

http://forum.evageeks.org/viewtopic.php?t=8996
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

symbv
Elder God
Elder God

Re: Is all life on earth descended from Lilith?

•      
  •      

Postby symbv » Wed Feb 08, 2012 9:35 am

View Original Postkylethestrange wrote:Why would angels come out fully evolved, and not as some bacteria that has to evolve for millions of years like life started on earth?

Because they possess the fruit of life instead of fruit of wisdom, is one explanation I read.
I never thought I would come back to Evangelion after EoE,
But I discovered Re-Take (or it found me?) and
now here I am.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Asuka FAN FOREVER
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Kendrix
Defender of Puppy Boy
Defender of Puppy Boy

•      
  •      

Postby Kendrix » Wed Feb 08, 2012 4:28 pm

View Original Postsymbv wrote:Because they possess the fruit of life instead of fruit of wisdom, is one explanation I read.

Probably this.
Since Angels are way more "singular" than any lillithian life, and they have been shown to "evolve" on an individual level - Sachiel got smarter as he regenerated etc...
I wanted to try harvesting the rice

I wanted to hold Tsubame more

I wanted to stay together forever with the boy I like

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Wed Feb 08, 2012 4:37 pm

It seems that Lilith "birthed" primordial ooze (which eventually yielded humanoid life worthy of the Fruit of Knowledge via the usual sci-fi contrivances), while Adam birthed actual embryonic gods. I have no idea why Lilith didn't just squirt out humanoids from the start and say, "Here you go, have the Fruit of Knowledge and hope you enjoy dying", but...
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

•      
  •      

Postby NemZ » Wed Feb 08, 2012 5:46 pm

It's also worth wondering if angels actually do evolve based on the attempts of previous angels or on the environment they develop in or if they simple are what they are, independent of other factors. In general I'd say they do, but then again I don't know how to explain Matarael if that's true.
Rest In Peace ~ 1978 - 2017
"I'd consider myself a realist, alright? but in philosophical terms I'm what's called a pessimist. It means I'm bad at parties." - Rust Cohle
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize that half of 'em are stupider than that." - George Carlin
"The internet: It's like a training camp for never amounting to anything." - Oglaf
"I think internet message boards and the like are dangerous." - Anno

TehDonutKing
Camel Dilettante
Camel Dilettante

•      
  •      

Postby TehDonutKing » Wed Feb 08, 2012 5:52 pm

View Original Postkylethestrange wrote:If humanity was born from Lilith and we are the 18th angel, what does that make all other life?

The 18th Angel.
In the third impact were animals and plants reduced to LCL as well?

Yes.
or were they just destroyed in the process?

No.
This has made me wonder, humanity appeared like 200,000 years ago. So was that when Lilith possibly spawned us, like Adam spawned the angels?

No. Humans in Eva likely evolved from the chimpanzee/bonobo line, same as in this world.
Why would angels come out fully evolved, and not as some bacteria that has to evolve for millions of years like life started on earth?

They have the Fruit of Life, which allows them to control their evolution.
/hj

I said and did some dumb and hurtful things in my time here when i was younger. If i ever hurt you, i'm sorry. If you see any of this while reading old threads, i'm learning and trying to improve. Donut redemption arc in progress.

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Wed Feb 08, 2012 7:15 pm

View Original PostNemZ wrote:It's also worth wondering if angels actually do evolve (...)

Whatever it is, it probably can't be called evolution in the strict biological sense, since the genomes would have to undergo such wild and wacky change in the process that the 99.89% overlap would make even less sense than it already does. It's more like... some kind of analogy for behavioral and psychological adaptation throughout life. This kind of adaptation becomes conflated with physical adaptation in Angels, since their self-image and physical forms are intimately intertwined, and the results look like evolution to us.

Boy, I hope that makes sense...

Donut: The 18th Angel is specifically Homo sapiens. (It might include other members of Homo, but we'll never know.) The rest of Lilith-based life just... is.
Last edited by Reichu on Wed Feb 08, 2012 7:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

Azathoth
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Azathoth » Wed Feb 08, 2012 7:15 pm

View Original PostNemZ wrote:I don't know how to explain Matarael if that's true.

Sometimes the watchmaker is blind; other times blind and retarded.
Nothing is so valuable that it need not be started afresh, nothing is so rich that it need not be enriched constantly.

Sachi
Oh Daddy!
Oh Daddy!

•      
  •      

Postby Sachi » Fri Feb 10, 2012 12:50 am

View Original PostReichu wrote:Whatever it is, it probably can't be called evolution in the strict biological sense, since the genomes would have to undergo such wild and wacky change in the process that the 99.89% overlap would make even less sense than it already does. It's more like... some kind of analogy for behavioral and psychological adaptation throughout life. This kind of adaptation becomes conflated with physical adaptation in Angels, since their self-image and physical forms are intimately intertwined, and the results look like evolution to us.

Boy, I hope that makes sense...

Loud and clear, and I completely agree. In that way it seems like deliberate evolution, rather than by method of natural selection. This is appropriate if we are to consider that Angels represent their own species, parallel to the 18th Angel being the entire human species or "Lilin." The behavior of one Angel's development and adaptation mimics that of Lilith-based life on Earth.
- Sachi

I host the discord server for the EvaGeeks forums. Join us! https://discord.gg/aBQ3F6M9yp

Radical Lanzar
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Radical Lanzar » Fri Feb 10, 2012 8:25 am

Angels are born of Lilith and most certainly varied in appearance, that much I know is established. If humans are 2% difference in DNA from Homo Simians, then Angels must be radically different in DNA as well.

I could list a few theories, but they would contradict themselves. As it is, I'm certain Evangelion contradicts itself several times over - I try not to think it too much or I get a headache.

Sachi
Oh Daddy!
Oh Daddy!

•      
  •      

Postby Sachi » Fri Feb 10, 2012 1:39 pm

View Original PostRadical Lanzar wrote:Angels are born of Adam and most certainly varied in appearance, that much I know is established. If humans are 2% difference in DNA from Homo Simians, then Angels must be radically different in DNA as well.

Fixed in bold, and I believe in episode 05 Ritsuko says that Angels and Humans have a 99.8% similarity in DNA structure (or something very close to that number).
- Sachi

I host the discord server for the EvaGeeks forums. Join us! https://discord.gg/aBQ3F6M9yp

The Eva Monkey
IT'S OVER 9000!!!
IT'S OVER 9000!!!

•      
  •      

Postby The Eva Monkey » Fri Feb 10, 2012 1:44 pm

You can presume that all Earth life is derived from Lilith, otherwise why would there be genetic similarities between humans and the rest of the life on this planet?

Then again, this is reading into the scientific accuracy of a show that is fundamentally (in my opinion) a psychological drama.

It's called pseudo-science for a reason.

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Fri Feb 10, 2012 2:33 pm

View Original PostThe Eva Monkey wrote:You can presume that all Earth life is derived from Lilith

Adam's children are as Terran as we are.

Also, what the blazes are "Homo Simians"? Insert tasteless joke here.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

Radical Lanzar
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Radical Lanzar » Fri Feb 10, 2012 3:12 pm

View Original PostSachi wrote:Fixed in bold, and I believe in episode 05 Ritsuko says that Angels and Humans have a 99.8% similarity in DNA structure (or something very close to that number).

Do forgive me, it's been awhile.

Trajan
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby Trajan » Fri Feb 10, 2012 8:26 pm

I think the whole 18th Angel thing is largely meant to be symbolic, but all traditional earth based life forms are descended from Lilith.
Movin' Right Along
"Everything has its beauty but not everyone sees it." - Confucius
"All styles are good except the tiresome kind." - Voltaire

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Fri Feb 10, 2012 9:29 pm

View Original PostTrajan wrote:I think the whole 18th Angel thing is largely meant to be symbolic,

Only as "symbolic" as Adam and Lilith being Angels, too.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

•      
  •      

Postby NemZ » Fri Feb 10, 2012 9:34 pm

Ah, it's just that humans are like 40k orks... we bring our whole ecosystem with us.
Rest In Peace ~ 1978 - 2017
"I'd consider myself a realist, alright? but in philosophical terms I'm what's called a pessimist. It means I'm bad at parties." - Rust Cohle
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize that half of 'em are stupider than that." - George Carlin
"The internet: It's like a training camp for never amounting to anything." - Oglaf
"I think internet message boards and the like are dangerous." - Anno

Return to “Evangelion TV Series + EoE Discussion”