The Eva Monkey
IT'S OVER 9000!!!
IT'S OVER 9000!!!

The dubbies rule the earth?

•      
  •      

Postby The Eva Monkey » Fri Jan 13, 2006 11:07 pm

http://www.animenation.net/news/askjohn.php?id=1226

I swear to god if this is true I will personally murder the other 80% of the anime fanbase.

DatDude
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby DatDude » Fri Jan 13, 2006 11:51 pm

Monkey sit back and take a look at the situation. People are going to want to watch a TV show in their own language with out subtitles.
There was an EVA Nerd here, but now he's gone.

Ryo
Matarael
Matarael

•      
  •      

Postby Ryo » Fri Jan 13, 2006 11:55 pm

This seems to be a mostly american "problem." I've never met a swedish dubbie, and I pray to Bob that I'll never do. Most of my fellow nerds agree on that 99% of the time, the Japanese VA's pwns the english ones. Heck, we wouldn't even touch the Cowboy Bebop dub with a 7' pole.
Asuka > Rei

SEELE 08
Arael
Arael

•      
  •      

Postby SEELE 08 » Sat Jan 14, 2006 12:28 am

I take on a character by character basis, some of the American VA's are better and some of the Japanese VA's are better it just depends. I far prefer Misato's Japanese seiyuu to the American Actor, she's sounds far more age appropriate, the American sounds like a teenager. Its the reverse for Keel, I can't stand his Japanese seiyuu.

drinian
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby drinian » Sat Jan 14, 2006 12:51 am

Ryo wrote:Heck, we wouldn't even touch the Cowboy Bebop dub with a 7' pole.

Cowboy Bebop is the rare example of a show (also FLCL) where the dub was actually an improvement, but, then again, it's not what I would call a distinctly Japanese show.

Conversely, I've also heard that the Japanese dub of Star Wars III is better than the English one because the actors actually acted.

That being said, most anime I watch is Japanese, both because that's the overwhelming preference of the club here at school and because the quality is consistiently higher. Not to mention that fansubs have changed the shape of the market somewhat.

In cases where a translation can be made without losing much, a dub can be worthwhile so as to be able to focus more on the rest of the screen and the storytelling. But those cases are fairly rare, and dubs are very easy to mess up. I've been watching TCM's Miyazaki series this month and am rather suprised at what they let decent actors get away with, e.g. Anna Paquin slipping back and forth between British and American accents in Laputa.

My point is that I think Japanese companies would be very wise to include English subtitles on more of their R2 DVD releases. FLCL did and this helped propel some early buzz. That way, the subbers can get their anime straight from Japan without worrying about all this licensing business and the dubbers can wait six months for the Americanized version to come out. This is one of those wars that isn't going to get resolved, so might as well make money off of both camps.

Heidroch
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Heidroch » Sat Jan 14, 2006 1:04 am

I for one have nothing against watching anime in either way, subbed or dubbed. I will usually watch an anime both ways. All the series I own I have watched both subbed and dubbed, and I see nothing particularily wrong with either way.

As for you sub fanatics whom think that dubs are the devil, I cant help but to point to this thread, in which the last few posts became a bit of a sub vs. dub debate:

http://evageeks.org/forum/viewtopic.php?p=34569&highlight=#34569

Please take note of insight's final post in the thread, which I whole-heartedly agree with:

insight wrote:Anyways...if listening to another language and reading subtitles is your cup of tea, go for it, I'm not trying to convert you. I just don't think someone illiterate in the language/cultural trends of another culture should be able to argue for it.

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Sat Jan 14, 2006 4:12 am

For me, if I'm going to listen to foreigners talking, I'd rather have the original set, especially as Japanese is much easier on the ear than some USAn accents.

But then I'm the sort of crazy who goes to a lot of foreign cinema anyway.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

Hunter21
Pilot
Pilot

Re: The dubbies rule the earth?

•      
  •      

Postby Hunter21 » Sat Jan 14, 2006 6:55 am

The Eva Monkey wrote:I swear to god if this is true I will personally murder the other 80% of the anime fanbase.

If it is, I will lend you my shotgun.

And sadly the guy might be right. This is the only forum I visit where I find a good amount of the people watching anime subbed.
EVANGERIONANIME is stupid

Come Join the Sakaki Fan Club!

Remember you're on Evageeks, where preset personal delusions outweigh reality.

ThroneofDravaris
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby ThroneofDravaris » Sat Jan 14, 2006 10:11 am

I usually enjoy watching anime in whatever language I watched the show in first. Because of this, I can barely stand watching Evangelion in Japanese. I simply cannot stand Gendo, at all. Some shows are a lot better in Jap (Azumanga Daioh and Galaxy Angel) and some shows are pretty good in both (Excel Saga, Elfen Lied, Full Metal Panic). There are a few anime where the voice acting is terrible in both (Saikano).
BEWAREOBLIVIONISATHAND

Ryo
Matarael
Matarael

•      
  •      

Postby Ryo » Sat Jan 14, 2006 10:48 am

ThroneofDravaris wrote:and some shows are pretty good in both (Excel Saga, Elfen Lied, Full Metal Panic).

Don't mention that evil in this sacred place! I couldn't even stand having that abomination on my computer. They all sounded like dorks. Especially Kouta.

And Cowboy Bebop in English isn't what I'd call an "improvement."
Asuka > Rei

DatDude
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby DatDude » Sat Jan 14, 2006 11:16 am

Ryo wrote:This seems to be a mostly american "problem." I've never met a swedish dubbie, and I pray to Bob that I'll never do. Most of my fellow nerds agree on that 99% of the time, the Japanese VA's pwns the english ones. Heck, we wouldn't even touch the Cowboy Bebop dub with a 7' pole.

Its not a " problem " theirs just money in the american anime market to pay for voice actors.

drinian wrote:Cowboy Bebop is the rare example of a show (also FLCL) where the dub was actually an improvement, but, then again, it's not what I would call a distinctly Japanese show.

Bebop and FLCL have very good dubs, right up their with FullMetal Alchmist.

Defectron
Tentacle Girl
Tentacle Girl

•      
  •      

Postby Defectron » Sun Jan 15, 2006 1:35 am

Cowboy Bebop is the rare example of a show (also FLCL) where the dub was actually an improvement, but, then again, it's not what I would call a distinctly Japanese show.

Well improvement is a rather strong word to use , I think a better word to use would be "Not completely horrible" while these dubs were better then usual I still prefer the Japanese version especially with flcl.
Parasite Galaxy: An experimental webcomic

http://www.parasitegalaxy.com/ Updates Monday and Thursday. Vote for me on top webcomics

If you want to support this comic buy something from me on amazon

ThroneofDravaris
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby ThroneofDravaris » Sun Jan 15, 2006 2:47 am

Ryo wrote:
ThroneofDravaris wrote:and some shows are pretty good in both (Excel Saga, Elfen Lied, Full Metal Panic).

Don't mention that evil in this sacred place! I couldn't even stand having that abomination on my computer. They all sounded like dorks. Especially Kouta.

Since when can someone define what a dork sounds like?
BEWAREOBLIVIONISATHAND

Hexon.Arq
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby Hexon.Arq » Sun Jan 15, 2006 3:57 pm

I'm actually surprised at how much this doesn't bother me. This is just one more minority to belong to on my ever-growing list. As Henrik Ibsen wrote: "The majority is always wrong." I don't care what most people do. Just get me a Japanese-language R1 release of Sonic-X within the next ten years and no one will have to die.

_you can't do anything, so don't even try
_get some help
_don't do what sonic does

Six Winged Angel
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby Six Winged Angel » Sun Jan 15, 2006 4:03 pm

:spreads AT-field: personaly I prefer dubbed shows (in english) to subs :AT-field full spread: :P

PURPLE MONKEY DISHWASHER PURPLE MONKEY DISHWASHER PURPLE MONKEY DISHWASHER PURPLE MONKEY DISHWASHER PURPLE MONKEY DISHWASHER PURPLE MONKEY DISHWASHER PURPLE MONKEY DISHWASHER PURPLE MONKEY DISHWASHER PURPLE MONKEY DISHWASHER PURPLE MONKEY DISHWASHER PURPLE MONKEY DISHWASHER PURPLE MONKEY DISHWASHER PURPLE MONKEY DISHWASHER PURPLE MONKEY DISHWASHER PURPLE MONKEY DISHWASHER PURPLE MONKEY DISHWASHER PURPLE MONKEY DISHWASHER PURPLE MONKEY DISHWASHER PURPLE MONKEY DISHWASHER PURPLE MONKEY DISHWASHER PURPLE MONKEY DISHWASHER PURPLE MONKEY DISHWASHER PURPLE MONKEY DISHWASHER PURPLE MONKEY DISHWASHER PURPLE MONKEY DISHWASHER PURPLE MONKEY DISHWASHER PURPLE MONKEY DISHWASHER PURPLE MONKEY DISHWASHER PURPLE MONKEY DISHWASHER PURPLE MONKEY DISHWASHER PURPLE MONKEY DISHWASHER PURPLE MONKEY DISHWASHER PURPLE MONKEY DISHWASHER PURPLE MONKEY DISHWASHER PURPLE MONKEY DISHWASHER PURPLE MONKEY DISHWASHER PURPLE MONKEY DISHWASHER PURPLE MONKEY DISHWASHER PURPLE MONKEY DISHWASHER PURPLE MONKEY DISHWASHER PURPLE MONKEY DISHWASHER PURPLE MONKEY DISHWASHER PURPLE MONKEY DISHWASHER PURPLE MONKEY DISHWASHER PURPLE MONKEY DISHWASHER PURPLE MONKEY DISHWASHER PURPLE MONKEY DISHWASHER PURPLE MONKEY DISHWASHER PURPLE MONKEY DISHWASHER PURPLE MONKEY DISHWASHER PURPLE MONKEY DISHWASHER PURPLE MONKEY DISHWASHER PURPLE MONKEY DISHWASHER PURPLE MONKEY DISHWASHER PURPLE MONKEY DISHWASHER PURPLE MONKEY DISHWASHER

Hexon.Arq wrote:Your A.T. Field cannot save you! :P
~But someday you will come to understand that on your back, there are wings with which you can fly on the distant future.

Ryo
Matarael
Matarael

•      
  •      

Postby Ryo » Mon Jan 16, 2006 12:18 am

ThroneofDravaris wrote:Since when can someone define what a dork sounds like?

Since ADV released the dubbed version of Elfen Lied, that's when!

Teh Hex wrote:Your A.T. Field cannot save you!

Hexon, you rock.
Asuka > Rei

Hexon.Arq
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby Hexon.Arq » Mon Jan 16, 2006 2:01 am

Actually, a dork sounds like this. Hold on...

*sound of a salami hitting a leather couch*

I haven't seen Elfen Lied (it's next on my list), but I have heard performances that come pretty close to that.

Damn, but that bass drum sound is unmatched by any other.

_you can't do anything, so don't even try
_get some help
_don't do what sonic does

SEELE 08
Arael
Arael

•      
  •      

Postby SEELE 08 » Mon Jan 16, 2006 3:57 am

If you've ever seen the dub of "Lost Universe" you know what bad voice acting is, it even makes the blue commitee man's VA sound golden.

Toilet Duck
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Toilet Duck » Wed Jan 18, 2006 8:40 pm

what's so wrong with gendo in Japanese? they didn't have him do this "GRRR I'M A TOUGH, GRUFF BASTARD" thing that the english dub put him through.

several english dubs out there are actually well-made; a couple of my favorites are r.o.d the tv and last exile. (something about geneon, perhaps...?) however, i passionately avoid any dub that includes brad swaile as part of its main cast -- for obvious reasons.
"Do you think Reis big giant head would be enough to make a nuclear winter?" --defectron

Being banned from GodTube = VICTOLY

DatDude
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby DatDude » Wed Jan 18, 2006 8:45 pm

SEELE 08 wrote:If you've ever seen the dub of "Lost Universe" you know what bad voice acting is, it even makes the blue commitee man's VA sound golden.

I have a first generation dub of the macross movie thats just plain bad.

I like dubs and I can stand that one.

As times gone on and the market for anime with less and less edits gets bigger dubs get better. Somthing about being able to pay better voice actors :)

Return to “Anime and Manga”