Perceived Contradiction in Terms on Freudian Analysis of Rei

For discussion of and submissions for the EvaGeeks Wiki and Commentary. Open to all posters.

Moderators: UrsusArctos, Board Staff

Rockoff
Embryo

Perceived Contradiction in Terms on Freudian Analysis of Rei

•      
  •      

Postby Rockoff » Fri Oct 14, 2011 11:29 pm

I was reading about Rei on the wiki earlier and I think I found a contradiction in the Theory and Analysis section on http://wiki.evageeks.org/References_to_Psychology_in_Neon_Genesis_Evangelion
I know that the section consists of fan theories but I don't know where else to post this as I read it on the wiki.

The theory posits Rei as the superego, Shinji as the ego and Asuka as id. I can definitely see Shinji as the ego and I guess Asuka fits the id and there's some reason to see Rei as the superego but I see something wrong. On the Wikipedia article on Superego it states, "Freud's theory implies that the super-ego is a symbolic internalisation of the father figure and cultural regulations." Now, the internalisation of the father figure part is easily explained through Gendo. However, when it comes to the cultural regulations part, I found something interesting on the Eva Wiki. On the page analysing Rei, it states, "Rei has so little experience with other people that she has no idea of the effect that her nudity might have upon a teenage boy." This seems to me to contradict the definition of the superego as she is not aware of such a simple 'cultural regulation.'

You may call me pedantic for pointing this out, but I blame you guys for getting me interested in Freud in the first place, haha. Peace out.

Ornette
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Ornette » Sat Oct 15, 2011 1:23 am

I'm not sure where that Theory originated from, I don't think it's been discussed a whole lot on these forums, but it's one of those things that's been around for long enough that a lot of people has heard of it but nobody really knows who came up with it originally (was it from the commentaries?). Enough so that it probably merited being put on that page I guess.

Deepak
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Deepak » Sat Oct 15, 2011 6:48 pm

Similar to the super-ego in humans, Rei is repressed. She was taught from birth that she can easily be replaces, so she doesn't have that inner desire to survive against all odds. Maybe she doesn't follow social norms, but she follows her own sense of morality; she perceives everything rationally. When Asuka asks her to be friends, Rei want a reason for it. Though it may be exaggerated, the ability to reason is present in Rei and is a vital aspect super-ego. Because of this reason Rei is not hindered by personal desire or feeling (at least for most of the show), similar to the super-ego.

(if people accept some of this ranting I may just add it to the wiki's section)

child of Lilith
Celestial Serendipity
Celestial Serendipity

•      
  •      

Postby child of Lilith » Sun Oct 16, 2011 3:38 am

I'd rather you didn't.
"Let the right one in. Let the old dreams die. Let the wrong ones go. They cannot do, what you want them to do."- Morrissey, Let the Right One Slip In

"Happy people can be so cruel"- Claudia, Silent Hill 3

"everlasting, true love, I am yours"- Rule of Rose

Deepak
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Deepak » Sun Oct 16, 2011 12:34 pm

better to clear up the confusion then letting people who read the page not understand the concept behind the theory.

Return to “Wiki Editing and Discussion”