We live in public

This is the place to start: Feel free to introduce yourself, have general conversations and casual discussions about all things Evangelion, including chit-chatty topics like "Sachiel is adorable" or "Which Eva kicks the most ass?"

Moderator: Board Staff

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

We live in public

•      
  •      

Postby NemZ » Thu Oct 13, 2011 12:25 am

I'm not sure exactly where to put this thread, as it's not really eva but at the same time... kinda?

Just saw a truely fascinating documentary entitled "We Live In Public", a biopic of an incredibly unstable dotcom millionaire who performed a number of human experiments on himself and others on a theme of privacy vs. publicity, some of which seem to me a sort of warped precursor to instrumentality in physical form. For example, right at the turn of the millenium he put a few hundred people in a bunker complex built in NY where they were filmed at all hours (and able to watch each other at will) in an atmosphere that was equal parts 1984 and burning man. It's a vision of a way of life both wonderful and terrifying simultaneously, and it's really making me rethink the whole instrumentality thing altogether.

So, anybody else see this film yet?
Rest In Peace ~ 1978 - 2017
"I'd consider myself a realist, alright? but in philosophical terms I'm what's called a pessimist. It means I'm bad at parties." - Rust Cohle
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize that half of 'em are stupider than that." - George Carlin
"The internet: It's like a training camp for never amounting to anything." - Oglaf
"I think internet message boards and the like are dangerous." - Anno

Fireand'chutes77
Sahaquiel
Sahaquiel

•      
  •      

Postby Fireand'chutes77 » Thu Oct 13, 2011 12:56 am

I haven't. But it also sounds like an experiment out of the Fallout series.
"I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. JSDF attack ships on fire during Operation Yashima. I watched particle beams glitter in the dark near the Geofront. All these moments will be lost in time. Like LCL in rain. Time to die." ~ ANT Pogo
Asuka: founder of

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

•      
  •      

Postby NemZ » Thu Oct 13, 2011 1:04 am

That occurred to me as well. :thumbsup:
"I'd consider myself a realist, alright? but in philosophical terms I'm what's called a pessimist. It means I'm bad at parties." - Rust Cohle
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize that half of 'em are stupider than that." - George Carlin
"The internet: It's like a training camp for never amounting to anything." - Oglaf

Sachi
Oh Daddy!
Oh Daddy!

•      
  •      

Postby Sachi » Thu Oct 13, 2011 1:28 am

This sounds really interesting. I'd like to see this when I have the chance. Hopefully before this topic subsides into the forgotten so that I'll be able to share my thoughts on it.
- Sachi

I host the discord server for the EvaGeeks forums. Join us! https://discord.gg/aBQ3F6M9yp

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

•      
  •      

Postby NemZ » Thu Oct 13, 2011 1:36 am

palehorseXIII
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby palehorseXIII » Thu Oct 13, 2011 4:47 am

It seems to be on Netflix for anyone with a Netflix account.
. . .

Trajan
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby Trajan » Thu Oct 13, 2011 1:04 pm

As an extremely introverted person, this would be my idea of hell.
Movin' Right Along
"Everything has its beauty but not everyone sees it." - Confucius
"All styles are good except the tiresome kind." - Voltaire

Xard
Banned

Re: We live in public

•      
  •      

Postby Xard » Fri Oct 14, 2011 5:27 pm

View Original PostNemZ wrote:I'm not sure exactly where to put this thread, as it's not really eva but at the same time... kinda?

Just saw a truely fascinating documentary entitled "We Live In Public", a biopic of an incredibly unstable dotcom millionaire who performed a number of human experiments on himself and others on a theme of privacy vs. publicity, some of which seem to me a sort of warped precursor to instrumentality in physical form. For example, right at the turn of the millenium he put a few hundred people in a bunker complex built in NY where they were filmed at all hours (and able to watch each other at will) in an atmosphere that was equal parts 1984 and burning man. It's a vision of a way of life both wonderful and terrifying simultaneously, and it's really making me rethink the whole instrumentality thing altogether.

Sounds more like Vault shit from original Fallouts to me

Cody MacArthur Fett
Bardiel
Bardiel

Re: We live in public

•      
  •      

Postby Cody MacArthur Fett » Fri Oct 14, 2011 6:54 pm

View Original PostNemZ wrote:I'm not sure exactly where to put this thread, as it's not really eva but at the same time... kinda?

No, but that actually sounds actually like the fluff I made up for my own writing years ago, only on a far smaller scale. Which is kinda creepy.

I'll have to check it out sometime. :smirk:
Sic Semper Tyrannus
Carry on.

Korgan
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Korgan » Sat Oct 15, 2011 12:57 am

View Original PostFireand'chutes77 wrote:I haven't. But it also sounds like an experiment out of the Fallout series.

Being such a geek, he might have well got the idea from there. :D
"Why should things be easy to understand?"
-Thomas Pynchon, whose works I've never actually read

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

•      
  •      

Postby NemZ » Sat Oct 15, 2011 2:17 am

It's entirely possible that was an influence. Mostly I think it was just because the guy was a massive control freak egomaniac with too much money and nothing much to do with it.

Return to “Evangelion General and Chit-Chat”