Villians in Eva Fanfics?

Everything Evangelion Fanfiction related.

Moderators: Derantor, Board Staff

MarqFJA87
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby MarqFJA87 » Fri Aug 08, 2014 8:09 am

Anyone know of any stories that do a good job of writing Yui as a villain, whether or not it's as a "well-intentioned extremist"/"Knight Templar" type of character (since those two villain types are the best candidates for villainizing Yui without deviating too much if at all from what little we know of her aims in the story)?
"Our magic is not omnipotent. A little bit of courage is the true magic."
–Negi Springfield, Negima: Magister Negi Magi

"Where there is distress, therein lies a story. Where there is a story, therein lies a will. And wherever there is a will, therein lies a soul."
–Evangeline A.K. McDowell, Negima: Magister Negi Magi

ChaddyManPrime
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby ChaddyManPrime » Fri Aug 08, 2014 1:24 pm

^
The Traitor of Traitors is writing one right now but other than that I don't think I've ever read a fanfic where Yui is the villain unless you consider NGE and EoE.
"Look at Me!, I'm Mr. MeeSeeks!" - Mr. MeeSeeks

You know nothing, Jon Snow - Chuckman

MarqFJA87
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby MarqFJA87 » Sat Aug 09, 2014 3:43 am

View Original PostChaddyManPrime wrote:^
The Traitor of Traitors is writing one right now

Where can I find it?

but other than that I don't think I've ever read a fanfic where Yui is the villain unless you consider NGE and EoE.

What do you mean, "unless you consider NGE and EoE"?

"Where there is distress, therein lies a story. Where there is a story, therein lies a will. And wherever there is a will, therein lies a soul."

ChaddyManPrime
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby ChaddyManPrime » Sat Aug 09, 2014 5:51 am

^
Fanfiction.net, mind you it is pretty terrible.

ElMariachi
Le Posteur Verbeux
Le Posteur Verbeux

•      
  •      

Postby ElMariachi » Sat Aug 09, 2014 6:29 am

I remember a fic using the Time Loop theory where Yui was an evil monster wanting to become God and very good at faking being a kind person, and all the loops being a giant chess game between Shinji, Kaworu and Yui to take down the latter for good while leaving the world in a good shape, knowing that each loop is damaging the planet a little more (the first loop was the manga, by the time of the story we are centuries later and in the Rebuild version of Earth)
Avatar: THE HIGHEST OF ALL HIGHS WE AAAAAAAAAARE!!!
Kensuke is a military otaku who, at one point, is shown creepily taking pictures of girls to sell. He would clearly fit right in as an animator at Studio Gainax. -- Compiling_Autumn
EoTV is a therapist, EoE is a drill instructor. -- Chuckman
Seriously, that is the most fananked theory I've ever heard, more than Mari being Marty McFly travelling through time to keep her parents (Asushin) together. -- Jäeger

Gob Hobblin
First Ancestor
First Ancestor

•      
  •      

Postby Gob Hobblin » Sat Aug 16, 2014 5:59 pm

That sounds like an interesting way to tie all the properties together, especially if they were to move into whatever that newest print version is (with the older versions of the kids...what the heck is it called, again?....).

Do you happen to remember the fic, Mighty Spaniard? (...I almost didn't recognize you, ElMariachi. Like the new avatar!).
Though, Gob still might look good in a cocktail dress.
-Sorrow

Rei wanted to know what waffles tasted like.
-Literary Eagle

We have to remember what's important in life: friends, waffles, and work. Or waffles, friends, and work. But work has to come in third.
-Leslie Knope

Come read EVA Sessions! This place has it, too! There'll be pizza! Not really! There are other things, too! Not EVA Sessions! Did I mention the pizza!?

ElMariachi
Le Posteur Verbeux
Le Posteur Verbeux

•      
  •      

Postby ElMariachi » Sun Aug 17, 2014 10:11 am

^
Here you go:
https://www.fanfiction.net/s/9035854/1/Here-Let-s-Not-Go-Again

It also deconstruct the "badass time looper Shinji" tropes by exploring what could really happens if someone really came back in time a lot of times and became more knowledgeable and powerful (he steals ADAM's embryo and absorb it in most of the loops and used the loops to learn a lot about fighting both in and out of his Eva), ie Shinji became kind of a huge ass. Think Homura in PMMM but replace the cold and stoic facade by one of complete laid-backness and fun-seeking.
Still, you gotta love his recount of all the ways he found to thwart and then troll SEELE and Gendo to absolutely epic proportions!

Unfortunately, the author as a rather confusing style of writing, so sometimes it's hard to follow what's happening, especially since there are lots of flash-backs.
Avatar: THE HIGHEST OF ALL HIGHS WE AAAAAAAAAARE!!!
Kensuke is a military otaku who, at one point, is shown creepily taking pictures of girls to sell. He would clearly fit right in as an animator at Studio Gainax. -- Compiling_Autumn
EoTV is a therapist, EoE is a drill instructor. -- Chuckman
Seriously, that is the most fananked theory I've ever heard, more than Mari being Marty McFly travelling through time to keep her parents (Asushin) together. -- Jäeger

Gob Hobblin
First Ancestor
First Ancestor

•      
  •      

Postby Gob Hobblin » Sun Aug 17, 2014 12:47 pm

That's an interesting deconstruction: I mean, if you think about it, there would be two likely ways a time looper like Shinji would come out. He'd either be depressed, hopeless, bitter, and cold, or (as you say) an arrogant ass (because where are the consequences?).

I'll give it a look. Thanks!
Though, Gob still might look good in a cocktail dress.
-Sorrow

Rei wanted to know what waffles tasted like.
-Literary Eagle

We have to remember what's important in life: friends, waffles, and work. Or waffles, friends, and work. But work has to come in third.
-Leslie Knope

Come read EVA Sessions! This place has it, too! There'll be pizza! Not really! There are other things, too! Not EVA Sessions! Did I mention the pizza!?

MarqFJA87
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby MarqFJA87 » Sat Aug 30, 2014 11:59 am

Fanfiction.net, mind you it is pretty terrible.

... Which one? There are several EVA fics in Traitor of All Traitors' page.

ChaddyManPrime
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby ChaddyManPrime » Sat Aug 30, 2014 3:08 pm

^
This is it [url]https://www.fanfiction.net/s/10545901/1/Final-Struggle-Teaser[/url]

MarqFJA87
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby MarqFJA87 » Sat Aug 30, 2014 4:47 pm

This is it [url]https://www.fanfiction.net/s/10545901/1/Final-Struggle-Teaser[/url]

... Well, I hope that the author elaborates more clearly on this Yui's apparent duplicity in her motivations, because to me it seems that one could interpret her behavior as having been completely unaware that she was fooling herself about why she's doing all that she was doing, and once the self-deception was broken she was genuinely remorseful. Not exactly pure villain material.

On another note, any suggestions on how best to write Yui as a irredeemable villain?

... And you have yet to answer my second question in this post.

ChaddyManPrime
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby ChaddyManPrime » Sat Aug 30, 2014 7:46 pm

That's weird, I don't even remember writing that part :lol: Maybe I meant if you consider NGE or EoE to be fanfics? :shrug: Or I could have been talking about whether you find that opinion valid in the original series.

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Sat Aug 30, 2014 7:51 pm

View Original PostMarqFJA87 wrote:... Well, I hope that the author elaborates more clearly on this Yui's apparent duplicity in her motivations, because to me it seems that one could interpret her behavior as having been completely unaware that she was fooling herself about why she's doing all that she was doing, and once the self-deception was broken she was genuinely remorseful. Not exactly pure villain material.

Yeah, there's not a lot there, honestly. Yui works as a Great (wo)Man or as a deluded fool, but not so much as a straight-up villain. She's an idealist or an idiot, not a bad guy.

On another note, any suggestions on how best to write Yui as a irredeemable villain?

Nope. The source material just doesn't support it.
For my post-3I fic, go here.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion
Yes, I know. You thought it would be something about Asuka. You're such idiots.

ChaddyManPrime
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby ChaddyManPrime » Sat Aug 30, 2014 8:07 pm

@ Marq

You could do it but you'd have to reveal her to be really really fucked in the head, like she gives zero fucks about what other humans want.

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Sat Aug 30, 2014 8:33 pm

View Original PostChaddyManPrime wrote:@ Marq

You could do it but you'd have to reveal her to be really really fucked in the head, like she gives zero fucks about what other humans want.

Hard to square that with what she says in 21' and EoE, though. Again, deluded or messianic, not evil. It just doesn't work.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion

MarqFJA87
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby MarqFJA87 » Mon Sep 01, 2014 6:10 am

How about "deluded into thinking she's messianic, and would snap into murderous fits as a self-defense mechanism once you point out the glaring flaws in her plan/worldview"? You know, as in "she's too dangerously broken in the head to be allowed to live any longer; killing her now would be a mercy"?

ChaddyManPrime
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby ChaddyManPrime » Mon Sep 01, 2014 1:12 pm

^
Kinda what I was aiming for, though I wanted it to be even more fucked up.

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Mon Sep 01, 2014 1:18 pm

Again, doesn't really work with what we're shown in the show.

Nuclear Lunchbox
Agent Ahegao
Agent Ahegao

•      
  •      

Postby Nuclear Lunchbox » Tue Sep 02, 2014 4:36 pm

View Original PostMarqFJA87 wrote:How about "deluded into thinking she's messianic, and would snap into murderous fits as a self-defense mechanism once you point out the glaring flaws in her plan/worldview"? You know, as in "she's too dangerously broken in the head to be allowed to live any longer; killing her now would be a mercy"?

Eh. She does some questionable stuff, but I don't think that would work for Yui as a villain.

KingXanaduu
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

•      
  •      

Postby KingXanaduu » Tue Sep 02, 2014 4:42 pm

^

"Villains who twirl their mustaches are easier to spot then those who hide under the guise of the Righteous."
-Jean-Luc Picard
"You're na�ve, Cecil. Even knowing betrayal and despair, you would depend on the whims of others?" - Golbez
---------------------------------------
Sephiroth: "Do you miss the Light?"
Golbez: "Hmph...I merely have duties to fulfill."
Sephiroth: "Too close to the brightness, and you may get scorched."
Golbz:.............
Golbez: Your loss can strengthen you.

"NGE Shinji is broken, Manga Shinji is an asshole, Rebuild Shinji is an idiot. Which is best? Uh, can I get some other options? All of these really suck." -Bagheera

Return to “Fanfiction”