News of Anime in Japan

Non-Eva Anime and Manga discussion

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Xard
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Xard » Tue Oct 18, 2011 11:08 am

My heart skipped couple of beats this morning when I opened ANN and was welcomed by the WHAT - calling my state of mind "bewildered" for a while afterwards is understatement.

At any rate this is the biggest NEWS BOMB of the month

I mean Jesus:

Planning, Supervision: Yasushi Akimoto
Original Planning, Chief Director: Shoji Kawamori (Macross: Do You Remember Love?, Macross Frontier: Sayonara no Tsubasa, Aquarion)
Series Script Editor, Scriptwriter: Mari Okada (AnoHana, Hana-Saku Iroha, Toradora!)
Character Design: Mikan Ehime (Macross Frontier)
Director: Yoshimasa Hiraike (Working!!/Wagnaria!!, Amagami SS, Sketchbook ~full color'S~)
Executive Producer: Toshimichi Ootsuki (New Evangelion films)
Animation Production: Satelight (Macross Frontier, Aquarion, Shugo Chara!)

- the core of Macross Frontier production is here with Kawamori presumably directing, Ehime/Ebata doing character designs and animation being produced at Satelight

- Yasushi Akimoto himself being the co-planner with Kawamori and a "supervisor"

- Mari Okada doing the series composition. Like her or not she is the hottest, most sought after name in anime writing right now

- Ootsuki being the executive producer

Guys, this is HUGE. As far as I can tell there are distinct chances:

- it'll be one of the worst things Kawamori has ever done
- it'll be one of the best things Kawamori has ever done
- it'll be biggest flop of 2012
- it'll be ginormous, terrifying success more than ready to challenge Bakemonogatari and Madoka

These four possibilities can be combined in many patterns and I have no idea what combination is going to happen. Is it going to suck and be blockbuster success? Is it going to be good but a flop? Who knows.

If the series makes it big and even fifth or fourth or so of AKB48 otakus hop on the train we're talking about monster hit. Chances are its music sales will make the current giants of the industry (K-ON and MacrossF) look like peanut trade in comparison.

I'm going out of limb and predict the production values will be astronomical. Kawamori's productions always have high budget but we're talking about THE UNDISPUTABLE TOP MUSICAL ACT IN Japan here as a focus...and to drive the point home we have producer of Rebuild as the executive producer. On the staff side of things we also have likes of Okada and Ebata here, popular names right now... all of this practically screams "money"

Chances are this production is going to make Idolmaster look small time. I can't even begin to imagine the hype machine they're going to build for this thing.

I'm watching the hell out of it anyway whether it's going to rock or suck. Moar idols from Kawamori with Ehime's/Ebata's designs... my body is not ready.

Except this time there shall be nine of them! Ganbare Ehime-san :D

Roll over, A1's boring old blobfaces. There's finally idol anime coming out with good designs

Given the occasionally almost-softcoresque nature of AKB48's videos and stuff I wonder how much OG Inspector EDesque (Ehime did them too) treatment we're going to get with them :tongue:

I presume these are preliminary design sketches

Cute :kawaii:

Anyway, what a revelation out of the left field. I'm not at all convinced it's going to end up good but seeing project of this scale in industry (and remembering how two cour shows have numerically gone up this season) is a good sign it's starting to get better after the economic depression of late years, I think.

Kawamori is busy as hell in 2012. I mean with this he should be doing:

- Aquarion EVOL (tv)
- AKB48 anime (tv)
- Macross 30th Anniversary Project (tv? OVA? Film? Who knows at this point)

the fuck O_o

Anyway, with Akimoto assigning Kawamori and Satelight into doing AKB48 anime I feel like things have come full circle in a sense as at least couple of AKB48 girls are Ranka fans (stumbled upon their blog posts on cosmic cuune last spring :lol: ) and IIRC there's still video of youtube of one of them performing Seikan Hikou on TV. :lol:

I wonder if said Macross fans are going to audition (presuming they're still part of group, I have no idea how often the members change in AKB48) :P

soul.assassin
Geezer of All Trades
Geezer of All Trades

•      
  •      

Postby soul.assassin » Tue Oct 18, 2011 12:43 pm

*Taps Xard on the shoulder*

http://www.japanator.com/nissanime-car- ... 0579.phtml

Also revealed is the involvement of Nakajima Megumi, who will be performing both the opening and ending of the anime. Some of you may recognise her in a similar role when she voiced Ranka Lee in Macross Frontier. Similarities to that show are welcome in my books!

Man, we've got a lot on our hands for this week. :lol:

Oz
Finland Miracle
Finland Miracle

•      
  •      

Postby Oz » Tue Oct 18, 2011 12:47 pm

View Original PostXard wrote:I presume these are preliminary design sketches

These sketches seem to be modelled after some of the central members of AKB48. Fanart, perhaps?
"I'd really like to have as much money as you have, Oz" - robersora
"No you wouldn't. Oz's secret is he goes without food to buy that stuff. He hasn't eaten in years." - Brikhaus

"Often I get the feeling that deep down, your little girl is struggling with your embrace of filmfaggotry and your loldeep fixations, and the conflict that arises from such a contradiction is embodied pretty well in Kureha's character. But obviously it's not any sort of internal conflict that makes the analogy work. It's the pigtails." - Merridian
"Oh, Oz, I fear I'm losing my filmfag to the depths of Japanese pop. If only there were more films with Japanese girls in glow-in-the-dark costumes you'd be the David Bordwell of that genre." - Jimbo
"Oz, I think we need to stage an intervention and force you to watch some movies that aren't made in Japan." - Trajan

soul.assassin
Geezer of All Trades
Geezer of All Trades

•      
  •      

Postby soul.assassin » Tue Oct 18, 2011 12:51 pm

That was also printed on a newspaper, so it's official character concept art.

Persona 4 in trouble?
http://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=352331

Twin Drive Sigma Aquarion
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Twin Drive Sigma Aquarion » Wed Oct 19, 2011 9:36 am

I don't know what an AK-48 is (I know about it's 47 relative) but I'm really hoping this doesn't interfere with the production of the sequel of the greatest anime franchise ever created (I'd say best anime period, but they just had to make Shin Mazinger Z AND make it as unbelievable as it was). 2012: The year Aquarion proves it's awesome enough to become it's own franchise. Take THAT you nay sayers!

Honestly, how can you say no to that?
So depressed am I
Missing you I do TK
Gone from paradise

soul.assassin
Geezer of All Trades
Geezer of All Trades

•      
  •      

Postby soul.assassin » Fri Oct 21, 2011 9:11 am

symbv
Elder God
Elder God

AKB48 anime

•      
  •      

Postby symbv » Thu Nov 03, 2011 5:43 am

Having been absent from this thread for almost one month, there are quite a lot of news about anime production I want to share. Some of them are already old news and should go to some other thread -- in particular Winter 2012 Anime thread. And then there are the Amazon anime BD sales ranking for the past 4 weekends. Lest the post gets too long, I would get the Amazon ranking off first. BUT first.....

THIS

THE BIGGEST BOMBSHELL IN ANIME WORLD

It is worth quoting Xard's post here again...

View Original PostXard wrote:At any rate this is the biggest NEWS BOMB of the month

I mean Jesus:

Planning, Supervision: Yasushi Akimoto
Original Planning, Chief Director: Shoji Kawamori (Macross: Do You Remember Love?, Macross Frontier: Sayonara no Tsubasa, Aquarion)
Series Script Editor, Scriptwriter: Mari Okada (AnoHana, Hana-Saku Iroha, Toradora!)
Character Design: Mikan Ehime (Macross Frontier)
Director: Yoshimasa Hiraike (Working!!/Wagnaria!!, Amagami SS, Sketchbook ~full color'S~)
Executive Producer: Toshimichi Ootsuki (New Evangelion films)
Animation Production: Satelight (Macross Frontier, Aquarion, Shugo Chara!)

- the core of Macross Frontier production is here with Kawamori presumably directing, Ehime/Ebata doing character designs and animation being produced at Satelight

- Yasushi Akimoto himself being the co-planner with Kawamori and a "supervisor"

- Mari Okada doing the series composition. Like her or not she is the hottest, most sought after name in anime writing right now

- Ootsuki being the executive producer

The team is jaw-droppingly strong. Every staff named in the team has tons of success and amazing credentials in their specialized area of anime production. It is no exaggeration to say that all the mocking, dismissive or indifferent otakus in 2ch (there are many AKB haters there) had to stand up and take notice at such come together of these anime celebrities.

Picking Kawamori makes a lot of sense because he is one director who loves idols and has actively incorporated elements of idol music/performance into his works. A director who holds true passion about real life idols and is reliable in execution and delivery is what a project like this needs. And with Kawamori, we have Satelight and Ehime with proven records of making dazzling and entertaining anime.

The role of Akimoto is to be expected, given his status as the top boss of AKB48. At the end he must be there to make sure the result is compatible with the image and direction he wants to take AKB48. The English translation of the "Planning" roles are a bit confusing. Akimoto's is Kikaku 企画 which is overall planning; Kawamori's is Genan 原案 which is for an original anime (which the AKB anime will be) means coming up with the overall idea of what kind of anime it should be, what kind of characters should appear, making final decision of the type of story and its flow etc. You can see that it is quite different from Kikaku. I am surprised that a major anime site like ANN did not make it easier to understand for anime fans.

As for Mari, as Xard said, she is damned hot, having just received many awards for her screenplays written in the last few years. 2ch has very good idea of what to expect from her:
SPOILER: Show
When girl meets girl in Mari's anime, this is what happens!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Seriously, I believe the humanity side that Mari is so praised will be the focus in this anime.

Hiraike was noted earlier for not repeating his previous role of directing Working!! in the 2nd season. Perhaps he has already started working on this project so could not free himself for more Working work?

I believe Ootsuki's skill of making Evangelion a "social sensation" will be particularly treasured in this project. Stratospherically famous AKB may be, stepping into anime world still carries its own risk as big scale anime adaptation of real idols is very much an uncharted water.

View Original PostXard wrote: Guys, this is HUGE. As far as I can tell there are distinct chances:

- it'll be one of the worst things Kawamori has ever done
- it'll be one of the best things Kawamori has ever done
- it'll be biggest flop of 2012
- it'll be ginormous, terrifying success more than ready to challenge Bakemonogatari and Madoka

If the series makes it big and even fifth or fourth or so of AKB48 otakus hop on the train we're talking about monster hit. Chances are its music sales will make the current giants of the industry (K-ON and MacrossF) look like peanut trade in comparison.

Everything will look small compared to what is selling under AKB name. It is not just Bake or Madoka people are comparing, the talk is about the sales could rival Eva - despite it being an unfair comparison between a TV series and a movie franchise.

This prospect terrified otakus in 2ch. Let me share with you some of the predictions given in 2ch:
- This is clearly aiming at king of kings status We are talking about 6 digit sales!
- Nightmare!! Help!! This thread will turn into scorched earth by AKB believers!!
- AKB Haters (I mean all of you out there), kneel and prostrate yourselves to the conquerors!
- I know how the BD wil l be packaged:
>> 3 limited editions (1 with photo, 1 with handshaking event ticket, 1 with special jacket cover) and 2 more standard editions
>> no OP/ED CD, buy BD to get the OP/ED song
>> Only in BD can you listen to commentaries made by AKB members
>> Dance PV for the OP will only be available in BD
- At least the staff are reliable, maybe I can watch it as just an anime without thinking of the real AKB

As for my view, I have made it clear here
post/500670/Music-The-Grand-Music-Discussion-Thread-2/#500670

In summary, I think such an unprecedented collaboration between the two pop culture media that Japan is arguably most famous for, idols and anime, is ambitious and a hugely positive development for both. This is history being made and I hope it will be a success, proving anime can reach out to more than just otaku and family/kids/shounen fares and expand the pie while opening another area for idols to showcase their talent and charm.

View Original PostXard wrote: I'm going out of limb and predict the production values will be astronomical. Kawamori's productions always have high budget but we're talking about THE UNDISPUTABLE TOP MUSICAL ACT IN Japan here as a focus...and to drive the point home we have producer of Rebuild as the executive producer. On the staff side of things we also have likes of Okada and Ebata here, popular names right now... all of this practically screams "money"

I can imagine money being burnt to make it real cool stuff. We already know Kawamori do not skimp on cost and has high standard of what cool-looking anime should be like, and AKB is definitely not short in cash. Just look at the bestselling singles for the current year so far - 6 out of 10 are from AKB, including monopoly on all the top 3 slots (all over 1 million copies sold) !!

View Original PostXard wrote:I presume these are preliminary design sketches

Cute :kawaii:

View Original PostOz wrote:These sketches seem to be modelled after some of the central members of AKB48. Fanart, perhaps?

As soul.assassin said, it is official concept art also printed on newspaper.

Being a AKB fan, it is not difficult to tell they are the "Godly Eight" (some are pretty easy to tell, some less so)
From left to right:
篠田麻里子 Mariko Shinoda
板野友美 Tomomi Itano
大島優子 Yuuko Ooshima
前田敦子 Atsuko Maeda
小嶋陽菜 Haruna Kojima
高橋みなみ Minami Takahashi
柏木由紀 Yuki Kashiwagi
渡辺麻友 Mayu Watanabe

You can try to match up the Godly Eight in anime form with their real life counterpart in this magazine cover. Just bear in mind the order is not the same!

However, the actual AKB anime will not necessarily star these best known members. According to what I read in news account, the idea is to give the chance to members who have a real talent as seiyuu. And it is not just AKB48, audition will be held for >200 members of the 4 related teams: AKB48, SKE48, NMB48 and HKT48. Apparently ranking from "general election" will not count, though I suspect those who are most famous for being anime otaku (Mayuyu being the most prominent example) will have an advantage.

Besides its being an original anime, there is still no schedule announced yet, thus for the moment Kawamori's work on Aquarion should stay on schedule. What we know now is that only 9 will be selected to voice the anime. I suspect there will be a longish series of reality shows to document how the seiyuu are selected from all these >200 girls, and that would take time (and then there will be training etc). Here the role of veteran producers like Ootsuki could come in useful - it is likely that the final 9 may have very few well known names (I am counting Mayuyu will be one of them) so the big name of AKB alone may not generate a sensation effect.

Xard wrote: Anyway, with Akimoto assigning Kawamori and Satelight into doing AKB48 anime I feel like things have come full circle in a sense as at least couple of AKB48 girls are Ranka fans (stumbled upon their blog posts on cosmic cuune last spring :lol: ) and IIRC there's still video of youtube of one of them performing Seikan Hikou on TV. :lol:

Do you remember who in AKB sang Seikan Hikou?

As I said my post in the music thread, it is also full circle for Kawamori. Instead of working virtual idols, he now gets real idols to work upon, which may have been his lifelong dream since he was a little boy. :)

Lastly let me translate the comments by Kawamori regarding this project:

日本が誇る伝統的なアニメーションに、最新のCG技術、そして、アイドル達の“プロ魂”を融合させて、笑いあり涙あり歌ありダンスありの感動的な作品をお届けし、世界中を元気にしたいと考えています。
彼女達のこまやかな表情や心情を、手描きのアニメーションならではのぬくもりでデフォルメして表現し、個性を出していきながらも、ダイナミックでスピーディーなハイクオリティー映像作品に仕上げます。
ストーリーも全くのオリジナルで、斬新かつ誰にでも楽しめる物語になっています。
AKB48のメンバーと、ストーリーがどのように絡んでいくのか、ご期待下さい。

I am thinking of fusing the latest CG technology with the "professional spirits" of those idols into a traditional animation that Japan prides herself on, and delivering to the whole world a touching work in which there are laughters, tears and dances and raise the spirit of everyone.
I plan to express the subtle expression and feelings of those girls by undergoing them via deformation process with warmth that can only be made by hand-drawn animation. I want to come up with a high quality video work that is dynamic and speedy while the girls' individual character will also come out.
The story will also be thoroughly original. It will be a tale that is fresh and can be enjoyed by everybody.
Please stay tuned to find out how the AKB48 members and the story will get involved with each other.

This raised my expectation.....

This has turned into a long post. So I will post the 4 weeks of Amazon BD sales ranking later....
I never thought I would come back to Evangelion after EoE,
But I discovered Re-Take (or it found me?) and
now here I am.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Asuka FAN FOREVER
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

soul.assassin
Geezer of All Trades
Geezer of All Trades

•      
  •      

Postby soul.assassin » Thu Nov 03, 2011 6:39 am

:lol: The news somewhat amused me, as though I could imagine down the road -- in the Frontier universe, at least -- two or three years later Ranka and Sheryl decide to form a new idol group that would become their worthy successors.

No doubt about it, to have a bunch of seasoned pros in the production team is like forming a rock supergroup.

The mag cover seems to be insufficient, so instead I bring out this one to bring them out to full height:

I wonder if it's already starting, with this video:
http://youtu.be/4Dxi1ku54xk

Damn, Kawamori now has his hands full, with those girls, TDSA's biggest orgasm, and Macross at 30. :lol:

----------------
http://www.japanator.com/32nd-annual-ni ... 0663.phtml

On the other hand, some want Steins;Gate to be nominated, but I think the committee has already made up their minds.

Oz
Finland Miracle
Finland Miracle

Re: AKB48 anime

•      
  •      

Postby Oz » Thu Nov 03, 2011 10:53 am

View Original Postsymbv wrote:This is history being made and I hope it will be a success, proving anime can reach out to more than just otaku and family/kids/shounen fares and expand the pie while opening another area for idols to showcase their talent and charm.

THIS. This is the very reason I'm so interested in this project.

View Original Postsymbv wrote:Being a AKB fan, it is not difficult to tell they are the "Godly Eight" (some are pretty easy to tell, some less so)

I got all of them right back when I posted about it originally! The only one I was unsure of was Yuuko because it doesn't really look like her, but it was quite easy to figure out it had to be her since she was the only important member missing from the ones I could recognize.

View Original Postsymbv wrote:I plan to express the subtle expression and feelings of those girls by undergoing them via deformation process with warmth that can only be made by hand-drawn animation.

Oh boy, Kawamori is aiming high. I sincerely hope all of it comes together well in the end because it has such epic potential.
"I'd really like to have as much money as you have, Oz" - robersora
"No you wouldn't. Oz's secret is he goes without food to buy that stuff. He hasn't eaten in years." - Brikhaus

"Often I get the feeling that deep down, your little girl is struggling with your embrace of filmfaggotry and your loldeep fixations, and the conflict that arises from such a contradiction is embodied pretty well in Kureha's character. But obviously it's not any sort of internal conflict that makes the analogy work. It's the pigtails." - Merridian
"Oh, Oz, I fear I'm losing my filmfag to the depths of Japanese pop. If only there were more films with Japanese girls in glow-in-the-dark costumes you'd be the David Bordwell of that genre." - Jimbo
"Oz, I think we need to stage an intervention and force you to watch some movies that aren't made in Japan." - Trajan

Randomanon
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby Randomanon » Thu Nov 03, 2011 1:54 pm

I had no doubts that AKB48 popularity alone would make the anime successful, but that staff list makes me think wow, we could get an unprecedented big hit based on it being actually good as well. I'm not the biggest j-pop fan but I'm really looking forward to this. I'm with Oz and symbv in thinking it could expand the anime fanbase further to a more mainstream audience. I'll have to start checking it out on 2ch threads (been avoiding it so far because, time limitations).

symbv
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby symbv » Thu Nov 03, 2011 10:49 pm

View Original Postsoul.assassin wrote:The mag cover seems to be insufficient, so instead I bring out this one to bring them out to full height:

This is really a cool pic for their latest single. The "Godly Eight" plus one.
For those who want to know who is who. From left to right:
柏木由紀 Yuki Kashiwagi
篠田麻里子 Mariko Shinoda
渡辺麻友 Mayu Watanabe
大島優子 Yuuko Ooshima
前田敦子 Atsuko Maeda
高橋みなみ Minami Takahashi
小嶋陽菜 Haruna Kojima
板野友美 Tomomi Itano
宮澤佐江 Sae Miyazawa

Actually these are the "front row" members for the girls selected to perform in PV, the full performing team can be found here:

View Original Postsoul.assassin wrote:I wonder if it's already starting, with this video:
http://youtu.be/4Dxi1ku54xk

That is just ad for the new mobile game from GREE, a fighting game where AKB members compete for the "center position". I am sure Kawamori's product will be much cuter and cooler than this :)

View Original PostOz wrote:I got all of them right back when I posted about it originally!

Congratulations! You are well on your way to become a proud AKB fan then. Start with the Godly Seven/Eight and then expand your scope to the lower tier and anywhere you fancy. AKB is pretty much a bottomless pit in term of digging for details and information so cast a net that does not overload you and just take it easy from there :wink:

=====

OK, it is time to go over the Amazon anime BD sales ranking for the past 4 weekends:

Legends:
P4 - Persona 4
Haganai - Boku wa Tomotachi ga sukunai
Ano Hana - Ano Hi Mita Hana no Namae wo Bokutachi wa Mada Shiranai
T&B - Tiger & Bunny
MajiKoi - Maji de Watashi ni koishinasai

1. Oct 09 weekend
- For current season anime, P4 is still very strong, followed by Working!! 2nd season. A bit further down is Haganai and then Horizon, Gundam AGE and Shana III. After those are Maken-ki, Ika-musume 2nd season and Tamayura. And then MajiKoi and Mirai Nikki.
- The usual perennial favorite like Gundam UC, Bake BD Box, Toradora BD Box and Sengoku Basara movie are still in the top tier. For last season's anime, T&B and Ano Hana are still doing very well.
- New entrants include FMA (the sacred star of Milos) and Saki BD Box

Oct 09 2011
01 P4 #1
02 Bakemonogatari BD Box
03 MS Gundam UC #4
04 Working 2nd season #1
05 P4 #2
06 Ano Hana #5
07 T&B #6
08 Toradora BD Box
09 Working 2nd season #2
10 Steins;Gate #5
11 Haganai #1
12 P4 #3
13 Sengoku Basara - The Last Party
14 Horizon #1
15 Full Metal Alchemist - The Sacred Star of Milos
16 Haganai #2
17 Haganai #3
18 Haganai #6
19 Haganai #4
20 Haganai #5
21 Hana Iroha #4
22 MS Gundam AGE #1
23 T&B #7
24 Shana III Final #1
25 T&B #9
26 Ano Hana #6
27 PMMM #6
28 Saki special BD Box
29 Horizon #2
30 YuruYuri #2
31 T&B #8
32 Ika-musume 2 #1
33 Maken-ki #1
34 Horizon #3
35 PreCure All-Stars DX the dance Live
36 s.CRY.ed BD Box
37 IS encore OVA
38 Tamayura #1
39 Ika-musume #2
40 Horizon #4
Honorable Mentions
41 MajiKoi #1
42 Detective Conan Quarter of Silence
50 IdolMaster #1
51 Hotarubi no Mori e
62 Natsume Yujincho 3 #3
63 PenguinDrum #1
64 Rokyubu #2
71 Mirai Nikki #1
72 MayoChiki #2
76 Utano Prince-sama #2
79 Escaflowne BD Box

2. Oct 16 weekend
- This week Gundam UC #4 took the top slot, but the real top should be MacrossF movie - Sayonara no Tsubasa but as the BD is only available in a bundled package of the latest MacrossF game, it is categorized under Games in Amazon. But as Xard posted here it became the 2nd best-selling anime BD of non-kids/family-oriented genre.
- Same as last week, P4, Working 2nd season are still the bestselling this season, although the rank of Horizon and Hagnai have now swapped places. Tamayura also seemed to get popular - could be indication that the actual airing of the anime got favorable review. Chihayafuru debuts in the list.
- For the previous season, Steins;Gate, YuruYuri and IdolMaster jumped up, perhaps because it is nearing the release date.
- The latest Pokemon movies also debut in the list.
Oct 16 2011
** MacrossF movie - Sayonara no Tsubasa
01 MS Gundam UC #4
02 P4 #1
03 Bakemonogatari BD Box
04 P4 #2
05 T&B #7
06 Working season 2 #1
07 Ano Hana #5
08 T&B #6
09 P4 #3
10 Steins;Gate #5
11 Working season 2 #2
12 YuruYuri #2
13 Hana Iroha #4
14 Sengoku Basara - The Last Prty
15 ToraDora BD Box
16 Horizon #1
17 IdolMaster #1
18 Haganai #1
19 Hana Iroha #5
20 T&B #8
21 T&B #9
22 Tamayura #1
23 YuruYuri #3
24 s.CRY.ed BD Box
25 IS one-off festival
26 Ano Hana #6
27 PMMM #6
28 Rokyubu #2
29 Haganai #3
30 PenguinDrum #1
31 Detective Conan movie - Quarter of Silence
32 Pocket Monsters Best Wishes - Victini and the White Hero: Reshiram / Victini and the Black Hero: Zekrom
33 Ika-musume season 2 #1
34 Natsume Yujincho 3 #3
35 Fullmetal Alchemist - The Sacred Star of Milos
36 Haganai #3
37 Haganai #4
38 Horizon #2
39 Haganai #6
40 Haganai #5
Honorable Mentions
42 MayoChiki #2
44 MajiKoi #1 (maji de watashi ni koi shinasai)
46 Maken-ki #1
56 Chihayafuru #1
57 Saki BD Box
63 Usagi Drop #1
64 Utano Prince-sama #2
71 BakaTest 2 #2
75 Shana III #1

3. Oct 23 weekend
- The 3D short animation made by Disney Japan, Fireball Charming (in fact its 2nd season), turned out to be extremely popular and debuts as #1 this week. The standard non-deluxe edition also debuts at #10.
- P4 and Working 2nd season are still very strong, but Horizon is the 2nd most popular show (in terms of pre-sales) for the current season this week! On the other hand, Hagani dropped quite significantly. Guilty Crown debuts at #34 and Last Exile new season debuts at #41.
- Anohana, Steins;Gate and PenguinDrum are in high-ish places as the actual release date approaches.
- Somehow Amaozn puts Sphere Club, a BD of "talent and idol show" format for the seiyuu singer group Sphere, as "anime". I scratch my head.
Oct 23 2011
01 Fireball Charming chikuwabu BD Box (deluxe)
02 MS Gundam UC #4
03 T&B #6
04 P4 #1
05 Horizon #1
06 Anohana #5
07 Working 2nd season #1
08 Steins;Gate #5
09 Bakemonogatari BD Box
10 Fireball Charming BD+DVD set
11 P4 #2
12 PenguinDrum #1
13 T&B #7
14 Horizon #2
15 Anohana #6
16 Working season 2 #2
17 P4 #3
18 Horizon #3
19 Sengoku Basara movie - The Last Party
20 IS one-off festival
21 Steins;Gate #6
22 Anohana Fes Memorial Box
23 s.CRY.ed BD Box
24 ToraDora BD Box
25 Horizon #4
26 T&B #8
27 Hoshi wo Ou Kodomo
28 IdolMaster #1
29 T&B #9
30 PenguinDrum #2
31 Haganai #1
32 Rokyubu #1
33 Utano Prince-sama #2
34 Guilty Crown #1
35 MayoChiki #2
36 Hana Iroha #5
37 Natsume Yujincho 3 #3
38 IS encore OVA
39 MajiKoi #1
40 PMMM #6
Honorable Mentions
41 Last Exile season 2 #1
42 Tamayura #1
43 Denpa Onna #4
45 Haganai #2
46 Sphere Club #2
47 Ika-musume season 2 #2
49 Ika-musume season 2 #1
53 YuruYuri #3
63 Usagi Drop #1
65 Mirai Nikki #1
71 A-Channel #6
77 Shana 3 final #1
87 Katte ni Kaizo #3 (of 3)

4. Oct 30 weekend
- Fate/Zero breaks the convention of new BD release. BD Box is usually released only a few years after the individual BD volumes were released, as a cheaper alternative for fans who are willing to wait and save money, and usually it is done only for really popular anime. Fate/Zero skips the stage of releasing individual BD volume and jumps to releasing a BD box in one go for the whole first cour (it is a 2 cour series) !! And it debuts at #1, testament to its being the most watched title in the current season.
- Seeing a chance too good to miss, Fate/Stay Night BD Box also starts to take pre-order this week. And it debuts at #36.
- Working 2nd season now overtakes P4 in the ranking this week, although in accumulation P4 is likely to have sold quite a bit more than Working by now. Horizon and Guilty Crown have climbed up the ranks in the meantime.
- The rest of the bunch for the current season are grouped quite a bit off top 40, including Haganai (quite a bit of fall), MajiKoi, Last Exile new season, Tamayura, Mirai Nikki, Ika-musume, Ben-to.
- For the previous season, Steins;Gate, T&B and Anohana are still doing very well.
- Akira BD 30th anniversary edition debuts at #15. It is an Amazon exclusive product apparently.
- The live event from the Anohana seiyuu, Anohana Fes, has its BD debuted at #51 this week.
Oct 30 2011
01 Fate/Zero BD Box I
02 MS Gundam UC #4
03 Working 2nd season #1
04 P4 #1
05 Fireball Charming BD Box (deluxe)
06 T&B #7
07 Bakemonogatari BD Box
08 Working 2nd season #2
09 P4 #2
10 Working 2nd season #3
11 Steins;Gate #6
12 Ano Hana #6
13 T&B #6
14 Horizon #1
15 Akira BD 30th anniversary edition
16 Ano Hana #5
17 Steins;Gate #5
18 Guilty Crown #1
19 Sengoku Basara movie - the last party
20 ToraDora BD Box
21 P4 #3
22 T&B #8
23 Hidamari Sketch xSP
24 Horizon #2
25 Guilty Crown #2
26 IdolMaster #2
27 T&B #9
28 Hana Iroha #5
29 Guilty Crown #3
30 PenguinDrum #2
31 Horizon #3
32 Horizon #4
33 Rokyubu #3
34 IS encore OVA
35 Idolmaster #5
36 Fate/stay night BD Box
37 Hoshi wo Ou Kodomo
38 YuruYuri #3
39 IdolMaster #8
40 IdolMaster #6
Honorable mentions
46 Haganai #1
51 Anohana Fes Memorial Box
52 MajiKoi #1
65 Last Exile season 2 #1
68 Tamayura #1
72 Mirai Nikki #1
79 Ika-musume season 2 #1
80 Ben-to #1
82 Hotarubi no Mori e
now here I am.
Asuka FAN FOREVER

InstrumentalityOne
Strawberries & Peaches
Strawberries & Peaches

•      
  •      

Postby InstrumentalityOne » Fri Nov 04, 2011 5:03 am

Are those Gundam UC #4 rankings just pre-orders?
Cuz it ain´t out yet.

soul.assassin
Geezer of All Trades
Geezer of All Trades

•      
  •      

Postby soul.assassin » Fri Nov 04, 2011 6:00 am

Kotaku focuses on seiyuu and public image, especially in the case of Yuko Miyamura:
http://kotaku.com/5856321/dont-let-a-little-thing-like-a-sex-video-slow-you-down

:clap:

---------------
Not surprised.

http://yaraon.blog109.fc2.com/blog-entry-5429.html#more

symbv
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby symbv » Tue Nov 29, 2011 2:19 pm

View Original PostInstrumentalityOne wrote:Are those Gundam UC #4 rankings just pre-orders?
Cuz it ain´t out yet.

Of course they are. In fact half or more of the titles in the list are pre-orders because these days the anime BD/DVD market, especially for OVA and midnight anime, works by taking in pre-orders which will serve as a guide to how many copies to actually make.

2011 Nov 05 weekend
- Fate/Zero BD Box still #1
- The debut of MS Gundam Seed HD-remaster BD Boxes claimed most of the top 10 slots
- Persona 4 still the bestselling anime of this season after Fate/Zero, followed by Working 2nd season and then Horizon
Nov 05 2011
01 Fate/Zero BD Box #1
02 MS Gundam Seed HD-remaster BD Box #1
03 MS Gundam UC #4
04 MS Gundam Seed HD-remaster BD Box #2
05 MS Gundam Seed HD-remaster BD Box #3
06 MS Gundam Seed HD-remaster BD Box #4
07 P4 #1
08 Bakemonogatari BD Box
09 Working 2nd season #3
10 Fireball Charming BD Box chikuwabu (deluxe)
11 Working 2nd season #2
12 Steins;Gate #6
13 Ano Hana #6
14 Horizon #1
15 Working 2nd season #1
16 T&B #7
17 Sengoku Basara movie - the last party
18 P4 #2
19 IdolMaster #2
20 IS encore OVA
21 ToraDora BD Box
22 T&B #8
23 PenguinDrum #2
24 Horizon #2
25 P4 #3
26 IS #5
27 Hidamari Sketch xSP
28 T&B #9
29 Hana Iroha #5
30 T&B #6
31 Ano Hana #5
32 Steins;Gate #5
33 Horizon #3
34 Guilty Crown #1
35 Natsume Yujincho 3 #4
36 Haganai #1
37 YuruYuri #3
38 Horizon #4
39 IdolMaster #7
40 Hoshi wo Ou Kodomo
Honorable Mentions
41 MajiKoi #1
(majikoi and idolmaster)
48 Rokyubu #3
50 Mirai Nikki #1
51 Denpa-dekina Kanojo
53 Akira BD 30th anniversary edition
58 Anohana Fes.memorial Box
62 Last Exile - Fam of Silver Wing #1
63 Tamayura #1
74 Ika-musume 2nd season #2
80 Usagi drop #2
83 Saint Seiya the movie BD Box 1987-2004

2011 Nov 12 weekend
- Still Fate/Zero BD Box at #1; Persona 4 and Horizon have risen in ranking
- Hellsing OVA IX debuted at #7
Nov 12 2011
01 Fate/Zero BD Box #1
02 MS Gundam UC #4
03 P4 #1
04 Bakemonogatari BD Box
05 T&B #7
06 Horizon #1
07 Hellsing OVA IX
08 T&B #8
09 Steins;Gate #6
10 Sengoka Basara movie - The Last Party
11 Working 2nd season #3
12 T&B #9
13 P4 #2
14 Ano Hana #6
15 Working 2nd season #2
16 IdolMaster #2
17 Hana Iorha #5
18 Working 2nd season #4
19 MS Gundam Seed HD-remastered BD Box #1
20 P4 #3
21 ToraDora BD Box
22 IS encore OVA
23 MS Gundam Seed HD-remastered BD Box #2
24 YuruYuri #3
25 MS Gundam Seed HD-remastered BD Box #4
26 MS Gundam Seed HD-remastered BD Box #3
27 PenguinDrum #2
28 Working 2nd season #1
29 Horizon #2
30 T&B #6
31 Howl's Moving Castle
32 Hoshi wo Ou Kodomo
33 IS #4
34 Hana Iroha #6
35 PreCure All-Stars DX the Dance Live (heart)
36 Hidamari Sketch xSP
37 Ika-musume 2nd season #2
38 Guilty Crown #1
39 MajoKoi #1
40 Ika-musume 2nd season #1
Honorable Mentions
45 Mirai Nikki #1
66 Haganai #1
71 Usagi Drop #2
78 Last Exile - Fam of Silver Wings #1
88 Tamayura #1

2011 Nov 19 weekend
- Many anime BD went on sale this weekend (they are marked by asterisk *) and all these titles have shot up in ranking, with Persona 4 reported very strong sales.
- "gdgd Fairies", a short anime in this season, did unexpectedly well by debuting at #12
- The Hayate movie (shown in cinemas the past summer) debuted at #13
- Tiger & Bunny seiyuu event, T&B Hero Awards 2011, debuted at #18
- The Director's Cut of the recent Yamato movie, Resurrection, debuted at #30
Nov 19 2011
01 P4 #1 *
02 MS Gundam UC #4
03 P4 #2
04 Fate/Zero BD Box #1
05 P4 #3
06 Ano Hana #6 *
07 Steins;Gate #6 *
08 IdolMaster #2 *
09 Working 2nd season #4
10 T&B #7 *
11 Working 2nd season #2 *
12 gdgd Fairies #1
13 Hayate the Combat Butler! Heaven Is a Place on Earth movie
14 Bakemonogatari BD Box
15 T&B #8
16 Horizon #1
17 Working 2nd season #3
18 T&B Hero Awards 2011
19 PenguinDrum #2 *
20 Nadia BD Box *
21 Sengoka Basara movie - The Last Party
22 ToraDora BD Box
23 Hidamari Sketch xSP *
24 PreCure All-Stars DX the Dance Live *
25 To Aru Hikuushi e no Tsuioku
26 IS Encore OVA
27 Detective Conan: Quarter of Silence movie
28 Hoshi wo Ou Kodomo (special edition) *
29 T&B #9
30 Space Battleship Yamato: Resurrection (director's cut)
31 IdolMaster #3
32 Natsume Yujincho 3 #4 *
33 PenguinDrum #3
34 Maken-ki #1
35 Horizon #2
36 Horizon #3
37 Denpa Onna #5 *
38 Utano Prince-sama #3 *
39 Saint Seiya the movie BD Box 1987-2004 *
40 Steins;Gate #7
Honorable Mentions
49 Last Exile - Pam of Silver Wing #2
51 Haganai #1
52 Ben-to #1
55 MajiKoi #1
56 Mirai Nikki #1
62 Master Keaton BD Box
70 Guilty Crown #1
72 Tamayura #1
75 Ika-musume 2nd season #2
88 Chihayafuru #1

I have not kept up with news about new anime in the last 2 months, so there are a pile of information now. Before I go into all the details, perhaps I can pick a few and share them here first:

AKB0048

Some of you may have already read the ANN update http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/20 ... -in-4-mags about the Dec 13 public audition to pick the final 9 main seiyuu and the four manga series related to the anime.

Additional information include
- the official title for the anime is AKB0048 ( http://akb0048.jp/ )
- The 30 short-listed for the final public audition should be finalized by early next week
- in case you wonder how people like me could name the individual member (of the Godly Eight) in one character design draft but nobody could name the AKB members in the following pic. It is because they are the protagonists of the anime, and supposed to be the "intern members" who look up to the "godly members".

Nanoha the Movie 2nd A's

The official website http://www.nanoha.com/index.html has just been updated with the information about 2nd movie (and it is pretty slow to access now). The new movie will be released to theaters in summer 2012.

氷菓 Hyouka

KyoAni is playing guessing game. First they announced their next anime project will have locale in Kyoto and the genre type will have a "mi" in it. Fans are guessing it may be "mystery" or "military". Now on its website, it has a one line update saying "京都アニメーション新作「氷菓」TVアニメ化始動" (The new project by Kyoto Animation, TV anime "Hyouka", are launched) with zero information about what it is about or who are getting involved. 氷菓 can mean ice cream, ice candy or frozen sweets, and nobody is sure why this name is chosen for the new anime....

By the way, a very surprising news from KyoAni is that their less-than-successful latest work, Nichijou, has got a new lease of life. Somehow KyoAni managed to get the education station of NHK to show Nichijou at 6pm Sat from Jan 07 2012 !! Although the series will be edited down from 26 episodes to 12 episodes, it is still an amazing feat achieved by KyoAni and Kadogawa, as the new time slot could attract new viewers and potential fans. It is also a seal of approval for wholesome appeal as it is picked up by the public broadcaster NHK.

Stage Play adaptations

Quite a few anime/manga have announced adaptation into stage play. The list includes "Persona 4", "Working!!", and a biking in high school manga "Yowamushi Pedaru" (Wimp Pedal).

Minami-ke

New anime of Minami-ke is being made. Not sure if it is a new season or just OVA.

Koreha Zombie Desuka

2nd season has been announced

Fairy Tail

will also get a movie in summer next year 2012.

Strike Witches

Release date to theaters for the Strike Witches movie is now set on Mar 17 2012. The BD box for SW 2nd season will also be release on Mar 22, 2012.

There are quite a few more things to share, but for now I'll post just these first...
now here I am.
Asuka FAN FOREVER

InstrumentalityOne
Strawberries & Peaches
Strawberries & Peaches

•      
  •      

Postby InstrumentalityOne » Tue Nov 29, 2011 2:39 pm

^
You mean this one?

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/20 ... -tv-season

Which is a shame for Kadokawa, because it´d print money.

soul.assassin
Geezer of All Trades
Geezer of All Trades

•      
  •      

Postby soul.assassin » Tue Nov 29, 2011 6:32 pm

Whoa! at Nanoha pic: INSTANT YURI.

I'm more interested in the AKB0048 project, though.

Final Messenger
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby Final Messenger » Tue Nov 29, 2011 6:36 pm

View Original Postsymbv wrote:2011 Nov 05 weekend
- Fate/Zero BD Box still #1
- The debut of MS Gundam Seed HD-remaster BD Boxes claimed most of the top 10 slots
- Persona 4 still the bestselling anime of this season after Fate/Zero, followed by Working 2nd season and then Horizon

when I heard that the seed remastered box set was coming out I figured it would do very well.
Avatar:super high school level ???? Kyouko Kirigiri
"Before Pimptimus turned the Jupitris into his brothel it was giant helium carrier"- Fireball
"to solve a mystery sometimes you have to take risks. Isn't that right?"- Kyouko Kirigiri
more people should read Dangan Ronpa

soul.assassin
Geezer of All Trades
Geezer of All Trades

•      
  •      

Postby soul.assassin » Tue Nov 29, 2011 7:59 pm

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/interes ... illion-yen

26 episodes (or 2-cour) costs $3.85 million to make. I wonder how much Gainax (and co-financiers) had spent for Eva.

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/interes ... ive-action

Even in Japan... Most don't like badly-done live-action adaptations.

symbv
Elder God
Elder God

Hyouga

•      
  •      

Postby symbv » Fri Dec 23, 2011 11:22 am

Meant to go over the Amazon BD/DVD sales weekly ranking in Dec and a bunch of news on new anime, but this caught my eyes just now so I decide to report just this first.

Remember the mysterious new anime project "Hyouga" (Ice Candy) by KyoAni? Apparently this is indeed a mystery - an anime of mystery genre. And like the anime "Another" coming next season, this is based on a novel with the background set in high school. And again like KyoAni's last project "Nichijou" this is an adaptation from a book published by Kadokawa Shoten. The book is the first novel, Hyouga, from the series "Kotenbu" (Classic Club) by Honobu Yonezawa, which was published back in 2001. The story is focused around 4 high school students who form the only members of the "classic club" which is always at risk of disbanding because of lack of members. Together they solve various mysteries surrounding the school and its legend.

The key visual is breathtakingly beautiful. The director will be Yasuhiro Takemoto who previously directed Disappearance of Haruhi, Haruhi 2nd season and Lucky Star (after ep.5).

http://www.kyotoanimation.co.jp/kotenbu/
now here I am.
Asuka FAN FOREVER

Xard
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Xard » Fri Dec 23, 2011 2:45 pm

How have the fall shows been selling so far?

Return to “Anime and Manga”