Fallout

Discussions about non-Evangelion related video games, board games, card games and gaming in general.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

IronEvangelion
Bridge Bunny
Bridge Bunny

Re: Fallout

•      
  •      

Postby IronEvangelion » Wed May 30, 2018 12:19 pm

There's a possible clue to its location in the teaser trailer. The song "Country Roads" is the main theme song for the game. It mentions West Virginia several times in the lyrics, so that could be where the game takes place. That would make things a lot more interesting, because WV is a landlocked state, meaning there's almost zero chance of a large portion of the map being water (assuming there is a map). One of my main gripes with FO4 was how much of the map was taken up by the ocean, so I see this as a good thing.

Since it's technically not another East Coast game (assuming WV is the real setting), I might buy the game once it hits $20. If it looks boring, though, I'll wait for the Ultimate Edition.
[Redacted]

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

•      
  •      

Postby Chuckman » Thu May 31, 2018 6:36 pm

I thought all the buzz was predicting that this is a settlement-focused game with online coop elements?
the prophecy is true

Statistical fact: Cops will never pull over a man with a huge bong in his car. Why? They fear this man. They know he sees further than they and he will bind them with ancient logics. —Marty Mikalski

IronEvangelion
Bridge Bunny
Bridge Bunny

•      
  •      

Postby IronEvangelion » Thu May 31, 2018 6:54 pm

View Original PostChuckman wrote:I thought all the buzz was predicting that this is a settlement-focused game with online coop elements?

I have heard the rumors that it's a Fallout MMO survival game, I'm not sure how to feel about that. If it's true, I'll probably pass on it unless it looks really good. But I have to consider the source when reading the rumors, and that source happens to be Kotaku.
[Redacted]

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

•      
  •      

Postby Chuckman » Thu May 31, 2018 8:12 pm

My favorite part of Fallout 4 was the settlement building and side quests. The main quest sucks.

Edit: I feel the need to point out that the game needs a metric fuckton of mods to make the settlement part actually worthwhile. It's so basic on its own...
the prophecy is true

Statistical fact: Cops will never pull over a man with a huge bong in his car. Why? They fear this man. They know he sees further than they and he will bind them with ancient logics. —Marty Mikalski

Tokpile Quohog
Marquis Tokpile de Boîtes

•      
  •      

Postby Tokpile Quohog » Sat Jun 02, 2018 5:13 pm

I hope this isn't a full blown MMO. I'd much prefer a simpler online coop game like 'don't starve' with quests, settlements, and full mod support.
TheEvaMonkey: I HATE BEING A FAT CHICK

IronEvangelion
Bridge Bunny
Bridge Bunny

•      
  •      

Postby IronEvangelion » Sun Jun 10, 2018 9:32 pm

New E3 trailer is out: https://youtu.be/E33_q-6ESWg

West Virginia is all but confirmed as the location. Still no idea whether or not it's an MMO. Gotta say, it looks really good. But then again, so did Fallout 4. I'm cautiously optimistic that they might not screw this up. One thing I did notice, though, is that the guy in the trailer picked up the PA helmet and put it on like a normal helmet. Maybe they've done away with the horrible climb-into-the-suit PA from Fallout 4, and returned it to how it was in 3/NV. That alone would make me happy.
[Redacted]

Tokpile Quohog

•      
  •      

Postby Tokpile Quohog » Sun Jun 10, 2018 9:49 pm

Looks like we got a tank from left4dead and what looks like flying deathclaws. I would really like to see non-american fallout survivors but I doubt any chinese soldiers survived AND moved across the US.

I really liked the climb-in aspect of power armor from FO4 as opposed to just equipping them as armor pieces, sure it was real cumbersome but it was a nice immersion deal. In FO4 you see Paladin Danse put on his PA helmet like a normal helmet though.

EDIT:
GAMEPLAY VIDEO
LOOKS LIKE IT'LL HAVE BOTH OPEN WORLD PVP AND PVE STUFF
https://youtu.be/yASjD_And2w

Kotaku has a bunch more other info
https://kotaku.com/bethesda-confirms-fa ... 1826717721

DarkBluePhoenix
Pilot
Pilot
Location: Somewhere between the light in my heart and the darkness in my soul

•      
  •      

Postby DarkBluePhoenix » Sun Jun 10, 2018 10:09 pm

View Original PostIronEvangelion wrote:New E3 trailer is out: https://youtu.be/E33_q-6ESWg

West Virginia is all but confirmed as the location. Still no idea whether or not it's an MMO. Gotta say, it looks really good. But then again, so did Fallout 4. I'm cautiously optimistic that they might not screw this up. One thing I did notice, though, is that the guy in the trailer picked up the PA helmet and put it on like a normal helmet. Maybe they've done away with the horrible climb-into-the-suit PA from Fallout 4, and returned it to how it was in 3/NV. That alone would make me happy.

According to the E3 presentation, it is set in West Virginia, or more specifically, the Shenandoah Valley, hence the use of the song. Also, it's rumored that multi player is optional. My biggest take away from this is that it appears Ron Perlman was voicing the last President of the United States all this time.
Avatar - Heero Yuy, pilot of Wing Gundam Zero. If you want to read my NGE fanfic go to my profile here - DarkBluePhoenix on FanFiction.net or DarkBluePhoenix on AO3

Voted in college to be Most likely to Take Over the World, how to do that however, will require at least Four Evangelions. Thanks for the idea Misato-san!
"Now I am become Death, the destroyer of worlds." Said at the beginning of the nuclear age by J. Robert Oppenheimer.
"That which does not kill us makes us stronger." Words of Wisdom from German Philosopher Friedrich Nietzsche.

IronEvangelion
Bridge Bunny
Bridge Bunny

•      
  •      

Postby IronEvangelion » Sun Jun 10, 2018 10:37 pm

View Original PostDarkBluePhoenix wrote:According to the E3 presentation, it is set in West Virginia, or more specifically, the Shenandoah Valley, hence the use of the song. Also, it's rumored that multi player is optional. My biggest take away from this is that it appears Ron Perlman was voicing the last President of the United States all this time.

I sure hope it's optional. That rumor seems to be supported by reports that each server only holds a few dozen players. It would be very expensive to run an MMO with that kind of setup, you'd need hundreds of servers.
[Redacted]

VUX
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby VUX » Sat Jun 16, 2018 1:34 pm

So what would you do on these servers for Fallout 76, would you be surviving, or just participating in player vs player death matches?
"When life gives you problems..., get into the robot!"

"We VUX wanted peace with humans, until they day that insult was thrown"
"Where's you're ogrelord now laddeh?" Drek

Tokpile Quohog

•      
  •      

Postby Tokpile Quohog » Sat Jun 16, 2018 2:59 pm

They mentioned that there will be quest lines like regular fallout. Whether the number of quests are similar to previous fallout games is unknown. Not sure how they'll implement pvp (PVP servers? Agree to duel?).

VUX
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby VUX » Sat Jun 16, 2018 4:49 pm

People will probably be fighting over loot like in Elder Scrolls Online, and I hope you don’t have to pay 75,000 bottle caps for Fallouts equivalent to a horse.

DarkBluePhoenix
Pilot
Pilot
Location: Somewhere between the light in my heart and the darkness in my soul

•      
  •      

Postby DarkBluePhoenix » Sun Jun 17, 2018 8:25 pm

Well, the issue with online is that while it brings people to together to play cooperatively, you will still get the small niche of assholes who make the online experience completely unbearable. I'm sure that it will be an optional component, just like DB Xenoverse where you don't have to go online to finish the game. The only part of it that may be mandatory is for either in-game achievements or PSN Trophies.
Avatar - Heero Yuy, pilot of Wing Gundam Zero. If you want to read my NGE fanfic go to my profile here - DarkBluePhoenix on FanFiction.net or DarkBluePhoenix on AO3

Voted in college to be Most likely to Take Over the World, how to do that however, will require at least Four Evangelions. Thanks for the idea Misato-san!
"Now I am become Death, the destroyer of worlds." Said at the beginning of the nuclear age by J. Robert Oppenheimer.
"That which does not kill us makes us stronger." Words of Wisdom from German Philosopher Friedrich Nietzsche.

Sachi
Oh Daddy!
Oh Daddy!

•      
  •      

Postby Sachi » Mon Jun 18, 2018 1:38 am

If it's setup anything like the online multiplayer of Destiny, this might have quite a bit of promise. Destiny was one of the few online games that successfully got people to work together toward a common goal, but cooperation with each other wasn't necessary to you both completing the mission.
- Sachi

I host the discord server for the EvaGeeks forums. Join us! https://discord.gg/aBQ3F6M9yp

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

•      
  •      

Postby Chuckman » Thu Jun 21, 2018 10:47 pm

I’m cautiously optimistic about this. I’m hoping the always online and incremental DLC are used to generate data to perfect the application of a settlement system and freebuild housing in future Fallout and TES games. It even looks to be fun on its own.
the prophecy is true

VUX
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby VUX » Fri Jun 22, 2018 6:48 pm

A lot of the new monsters featured in Fallout 76 are named after cryptids, which I thought was fairly interesting. These include Mothman, the Wendigo, the Flatwoods Monster, and the Snallygaster. Anyone know any information about these guys?

Return to “Video Games and Gaming”