Fallout

Discussions about non-Evangelion related video games, board games, card games and gaming in general.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

Re: Fallout

•      
  •      

Postby Chuckman » Mon May 16, 2016 11:38 am

View Original PostNemZ wrote:Meh, I don't use VATS at all. Intentionally shooting limbs in real time is totally doable.

The dedicated grenade thing is a carryover from modern shooters so that likely isn't going anywhere, and it's already doing multiple contextual things with bashing and power attacks. The problem with all that stuff is that there aren't enough buttons on a console controller, and since the games are clearly being made for consoles foremost at this point (seriously, why do I have to play with text files to enable keyboard/mouse as an option for the pc version, Bethesda?!) so that is a hard wall unless they somehow come up with a reworked UI.

I hate the multi-function button thing. PC players shouldn't be saddled with it.
the prophecy is true

Statistical fact: Cops will never pull over a man with a huge bong in his car. Why? They fear this man. They know he sees further than they and he will bind them with ancient logics. —Marty Mikalski

Trajan
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby Trajan » Tue May 17, 2016 10:50 am

I'm going to try and finish Fallout 4 in the next week or so. I've probably got another twenty hours before I run out of meaningful content and I'm starting the final act of storymode right now. After that, I might reinstall New Vegas with some graphics mods.
Movin' Right Along
"Everything has its beauty but not everyone sees it." - Confucius
"All styles are good except the tiresome kind." - Voltaire

Sachi
Oh Daddy!
Oh Daddy!

•      
  •      

Postby Sachi » Tue May 17, 2016 12:44 pm

It had been a few weeks since I'd played Fallout 4 (been busy with FFIX), and so when I heard that the new Survival Mode was available I created a new character to test it out.

The changes made to Survival Mode make it not too much unlike that in New Vegas. It's necessary to keep your character properly fed, hyrdrated and rested. Fatigue does to AP, what radiation does to HP; the longer you go without sleep, the less maximum AP you'll have available. There are also diseases to worry about, which I haven't experienced firsthand too much yet, but they need to be taken care of with antibiotics (a new item floating around, among others) or via a doctor. Health replenishes very slowly, and enemies are very powerful, so be careful. There's also no fast travel, so get used to walking (I actually used to do self-imposed fast-travel-restrictions, so having it as an actual game mechanic is neat).

One MAJOR factor of the new Survival Mode is that you can only save when you sleep. No more auto-saves when going through doors or checking your pip-boy, or even the regular saves in the menu; now you'll need to go through the trouble of finding a bed and sleeping in it for at least an hour just to save your progress. And in a game where a random wrong turn can get you instantly killed, this definitely becomes a hassle. For example: at the beginning of the game, when heading to the Museum of Freedom in Concord to meet Preston, there's a small house with a bed, and it's the last checkpoint you'll have before facing all the raiders inside and outside the Museum and then eventually the Deathclaw in the street. I was probably insta-killed by the Deathclaw three or four times, and sent back maybe an entire twenty minutes of play each time. Granted, I was still only level 4, and without a lot of gear, so that also added to the difficulty.

Overall, I'm enjoying the new Survival Mode. It's definitely making me slow down and rethink my strategy in a lot of situations, which is a nice contrast to how it feels when one's character is OP as fuck and the sense of danger is no longer there.

As far as my character goes: his name is Pip McAlester (Pip is a nickname of mine), and he is a private eye/bounty hunter with a fondness for handguns. He comes from a classy upbringing, but has never been afraid to get roughed up and bloodied, as exemplified by his scars and bruises on his face. I built him a home office/fortress in Sanctuary, with bright neon signs displaying his business. He'll only wear office clothing, such as the suspender and slacks with a bowler hat. In my mind he has a British accent, and so for the first time the voice acting is getting in the way of the role playing. I would like him to have a more of a relationship with the settlers; I gave Sturges the Red Rocket station just outside of Concord, as well as a few employees to run it with him. It'll be a while yet before I can create supply lines between the settlements though.
- Sachi

I host the discord server for the EvaGeeks forums. Join us! https://discord.gg/aBQ3F6M9yp

IronEvangelion
Bridge Bunny
Bridge Bunny

•      
  •      

Postby IronEvangelion » Mon May 23, 2016 9:35 am

I found an official list of all the mods that are available on X1 right now! There's already 11 pages of them, and more are added regularly:

https://mods.bethesda.net/#en/workshop/ ... atform=XB1

I'm definitely getting Exploding Chickens and the Modular PTRS-41 when they come to PS4. :D
[Redacted]

Kaminoyouni
Zeruel
Zeruel

•      
  •      

Postby Kaminoyouni » Thu May 26, 2016 8:01 pm

View Original PostSicarius VI wrote:I just question the Eva fans that are willing to create Evangelion PA and overcome the obstacles NemZ detailed.

I could totally see plug suits.

What we really need to do is show that there is interest for such a mod to be developed. As I said I made a post on the Nexus Forums I won't make much head way if It's just me posting about it. It'd really help if You guys also post there and express interest, maybe we can be lucky enough that a mod author will want to take up the project.
Proud Member of F.A.P.
"A twenty-nine year-old woman having her way with a fourteen year-old boy? This is perversion! This is ephebophilia!"
"Ephebophelia...? This is SHOTA!"

WARNING: Brik is being incredibly awesome

Join the Evageeks discord!

IronEvangelion
Bridge Bunny
Bridge Bunny

•      
  •      

Postby IronEvangelion » Thu Jun 02, 2016 9:40 pm

Well, predictably, Bethesda has already found a way to ruin console modding. Going by what I'm hearing from the XBox One userbase (who are no longer in beta and have official mod support now), the amount of mods you can download is capped at 2GB. Let me get this straight, Bethesda. You're going to have me download a 3-5GB patch every few months, but you're only going to allow me to download 2GB of mods period? Up yours. I guess I can kiss any unofficial expansions goodbye, those would be way too damn big.
[Redacted]

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

•      
  •      

Postby NemZ » Thu Jun 02, 2016 11:27 pm

wow, that's a mess. my current f4 mod folder is just under 12gb
Rest In Peace ~ 1978 - 2017
"I'd consider myself a realist, alright? but in philosophical terms I'm what's called a pessimist. It means I'm bad at parties." - Rust Cohle
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize that half of 'em are stupider than that." - George Carlin
"The internet: It's like a training camp for never amounting to anything." - Oglaf
"I think internet message boards and the like are dangerous." - Anno

Sicarius VI
Tokyo-3 Resident
Tokyo-3 Resident

•      
  •      

Postby Sicarius VI » Sun Jun 05, 2016 11:15 am

Yea it's a load of BS, makes 0 sense.
"I'm not going there to die, I'm going to find out if I'm really alive." - Spike Spiegel

Kaminoyouni
Zeruel
Zeruel

•      
  •      

Postby Kaminoyouni » Tue Jun 07, 2016 7:46 pm

Yeah I remember hearing about that, kinda sucks. But maybe if the community shouts loud enough they might consider increasing the size.

Still waiting on the rest of you about Eva unit power armor though.

Also, 777 Post Hype!

:misato_service:
Proud Member of F.A.P.
"A twenty-nine year-old woman having her way with a fourteen year-old boy? This is perversion! This is ephebophilia!"

Kaminoyouni
Zeruel
Zeruel

•      
  •      

Postby Kaminoyouni » Thu Jun 09, 2016 6:30 pm

Anyone on Xbone right now as of this posting.: Fallout 4 is FREE... I dunno for how long though

scratch that, looks like they fixed the mix up
Proud Member of F.A.P.

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

•      
  •      

Postby NemZ » Thu Jun 09, 2016 8:57 pm

>That feel when you finally get on board the Prydwind and realize your armory and power armor garage back home is far more impressively stocked then they are, then they order you to go steal food from your own settlements to feed them.

:tojifood:
"I'd consider myself a realist, alright? but in philosophical terms I'm what's called a pessimist. It means I'm bad at parties." - Rust Cohle
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize that half of 'em are stupider than that." - George Carlin
"The internet: It's like a training camp for never amounting to anything." - Oglaf

IronEvangelion
Bridge Bunny
Bridge Bunny

•      
  •      

Postby IronEvangelion » Thu Jun 09, 2016 9:00 pm

It seems the 2GB mod cap might not be there much longer. Bethesda has laid out plans to improve mod support:

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/heres- ... n=homepage

Perhaps most importantly, Bethesda says it's "working with Microsoft and Sony to increase the storage limits on consoles." Presently, mods are capped at 2 GB, limiting what's possible. It also plans to offer better support for reporting mods, which could help to reduce the number of mods that have been stolen and published by people who didn't create them. Improved security is also in the works; uploading mods to Bethesda.net will require users to link their website account to their Steam account.

Apparently it's some sort of partitioning issue with Sony/MS and Bethesda isn't solely to blame. The people who came up with that cap must never have used mods before.
[Redacted]

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

•      
  •      

Postby NemZ » Sun Jun 12, 2016 10:59 am

Just discovered the Forged. Kinda neat seeing raiders that aren't generic, and that makes me really wonder why the hell all the other gangs out there organized under named leaders aren't also distinctive, especially since they went to the trouble of giving them rivalries and stuff you can read about between their logs. Would it be so very difficult to edit the equipment tables by area so that raiders spawn with stuff that makes them identifiable distinct, even as simple as using more of those colored bandanas like a crips/bloods deal?

NV was so much better about this kind of stuff.

IronEvangelion
Bridge Bunny
Bridge Bunny

•      
  •      

Postby IronEvangelion » Wed Jun 15, 2016 11:21 am

^ I honestly think Bethesda just doesn't care and is going to keep churning out visually enhanced FO3 rehashes like this until they stop being profitable. I'm tempted to coin the term "Falloduty", but I guess we'll have to wait until FO5 to see if they continue the apparent trend.
[Redacted]

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

•      
  •      

Postby NemZ » Wed Jun 15, 2016 1:26 pm

Bathesda gives no shits, it is known. Story-wise they will probably never top NV, especially when the focus is so clearly on the cheap bullshit content as the DLC package offerings confirms. More raiders... yay.

Sachi
Oh Daddy!
Oh Daddy!

•      
  •      

Postby Sachi » Wed Jun 15, 2016 3:24 pm

I felt that FO4 was a significant enough advance to not be considered a mere FO3 rehash. The map is designed way better, similar to NV, in that it somewhat directs the player down certain paths at the beginning of the game. The improvements to the FPS aspect of the game go without saying. The companions have a lot more personality and are enjoyable to interact with. Junk is finally useful thanks to the settlement building.

Sure there are plenty of flaws, and things I wish they would have done better, but I'd say calling FO4 a FO3 rehash is doing a bit of injustice to all the improvements that were actually made. And besides, it's not like Call of Duty or Assassins Creed where a sequel is released every year or two.
- Sachi

I host the discord server for the EvaGeeks forums. Join us! https://discord.gg/aBQ3F6M9yp

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

•      
  •      

Postby NemZ » Wed Jun 15, 2016 3:52 pm

The engine is better overall, yes. Just about everything else feels like a step backwards or sideways but certainly not forwards.

Power armor is growing on me though, especially now that I've got jetpacks to play with on my X-01 MPE-themed armors. Need to find a mod to add some sort of high crit rate javalins...

Sachi
Oh Daddy!
Oh Daddy!

•      
  •      

Postby Sachi » Wed Jun 15, 2016 7:11 pm

View Original PostNemZ wrote:The engine is better overall, yes. Just about everything else feels like a step backwards or sideways but certainly not forwards.

Everything else, like what?

Story seems like a very minor point since most people play for the side quests and exploration. And even so, FO4's story is better than FO3, IMO, although not as good as NV.

As for the soundtrack, it's kinda disappointing that it's mostly the same swing music as FO3 and NV, but I still like hearing those same songs. That, and the classical music station is amazing! Overall, I'd say it's an improvement.

I agree with your comments regarding different factions, and I kinda wish they would have gone more with the NV approach of having distinct groups with their own moral codes and such. FO4 sorta did it with the main three factions of the story, and how they eventually conflict with each other, but NV had the advantage of being able to pick sides from the very beginning (Powder Gang v Goodsprings); in fact, in NV, IIRC, almost every mission has more than one way to end it, usually with consequences. FO4 has a few like that, but that mostly just affects the prizes you get, and they're not nearly as abundant.

Actually, now that I'm considering it, karma and morality is almost entirely thrown out the window in FO4. But is that a bad thing? In FO3, it was black and white; either you were good, bad, or right in the middle. FO4 lets you play as chaotic neutral at worst, with little incentive to go evil. The moral choice is whatever faction you choose, but it's more a political position (pro-synth, anti-synth, etc). I kinda like that, because it's much more nuanced than GOOD or EVIL; I actually questioned myself on the issue, and in my first run picked what I felt was right. That same self-reflection wasn't brought about by either FO3 or NV; in NV, as soon as I realized I could take over everything, I did, because it was fun, not because it was a moral thing to do. The morals didn't even factor into my decision, whereas FO4 forces one to consider it. Overall, I think FO4 handled this aspect really well, even if it's much different than the others.

What other aspects of the games are there to consider? Or at the least, which parts specifically did you feel were steps backwards?
- Sachi

IronEvangelion
Bridge Bunny
Bridge Bunny

•      
  •      

Postby IronEvangelion » Wed Jun 15, 2016 7:43 pm

View Original PostSachi wrote:Actually, now that I'm considering it, karma and morality is almost entirely thrown out the window in FO4.

Good riddance, the Karma system was laughable in a morally ambiguous series like Fallout. It served no purpose other than to let you know how bad you were according to a moral scale that was no longer relevant in a post-apocalyptic earth. I'm glad it's gone.
[Redacted]

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

•      
  •      

Postby NemZ » Thu Jun 16, 2016 3:56 am

View Original PostSachi wrote:Everything else, like what?

Charecter:
- I dreadfully miss skills and think far, far too many of the perks are now just there to make numbers higher rather than to introduce new options.
- Reusing the same tired old lockpick and hacking minigames, but still no options to bypass locks with explosives?
- I really hate the repercussions of a voiced protagonist in limiting speech options and forcing a single backstory on the player.
- Where the hell are the traits?
- Why the arbitrary reorganization yet again of all the weapon skills?

Equipment:
- Far less actual variety in weapons and armor than previous games, as despite all the available mods it's pretty clear that only a few are worth using.
- Pipe guns are universally terrible. Why bother with this bullshit when lore-friendly alternatives clearly exist?
- The legendary system doesn't make any sense in crafting and completely undermines any exploration value in finding unique items.
- I miss item degradation giving me a reason to not always use the best guns at all times as well as a use for looting spares for parts.
- T60 should not exist, and X01 doesn't belong in a game with no enclave presence either. Why no post-war brotherhood or institute designs?

Factions:
- I really miss NV's much more nuanced take on having a different reputation with each faction and for many quests to inevitably play them off each other.
- Way less factions then there should be, and there ought to be room for diplomacy between them rather than just conflict, including raiders and mutants.
- The settlement system really butchered the expectation of interesting new towns to find and interact with. Way too many 2-person farms.
- The main factions are far too easy to advance in simultaneously with little in the way of rewards for doing so anyway.

Companions:
- I do like that they have a little more personality in their likes and dislikes, but why don't any of them actively not get along?
- I don't like that half of them are directly tied to the main story and so required.
- NV's personal quests and branching development options depending on how you complete them were far, far more interesting.
- Given junk is not useless now, can you -please- stop having all my companions telling me constantly that it is?
- Pathfinding is still terrible and they constantly get in the way in tight spaces.

Return to “Video Games and Gaming”