Fallout

Discussions about non-Evangelion related video games, board games, card games and gaming in general.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

Re: Fallout

•      
  •      

Postby NemZ » Tue Feb 16, 2016 7:54 pm

Besides, I already have mods that let me build and customize robots, custom paint jobs on my power armor, and a bunch of additional workshop items. What the hell do I even need these first two for? In fact they'll probably screw up what I already have going.
Rest In Peace ~ 1978 - 2017
"I'd consider myself a realist, alright? but in philosophical terms I'm what's called a pessimist. It means I'm bad at parties." - Rust Cohle
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize that half of 'em are stupider than that." - George Carlin
"The internet: It's like a training camp for never amounting to anything." - Oglaf
"I think internet message boards and the like are dangerous." - Anno

Sachi
Oh Daddy!
Oh Daddy!

•      
  •      

Postby Sachi » Tue Feb 16, 2016 8:11 pm

How about for those of us that don't use mods? Blasphemous, I know, but I'm looking forward to hunting down robots throughout the commonwealth and building my own.
- Sachi

I host the discord server for the EvaGeeks forums. Join us! https://discord.gg/aBQ3F6M9yp

IronEvangelion
Bridge Bunny
Bridge Bunny

•      
  •      

Postby IronEvangelion » Tue Feb 16, 2016 8:19 pm

Honestly I'm fine with buying an official add-on that does something that a mod can also do. Isn't the reason we make and use mods in the first place because we wish the developers would add that feature to the game themselves? And now they are in this case.
[Redacted]

Monk Ed
Sunshine Administrator
Sunshine Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Monk Ed » Tue Feb 16, 2016 10:27 pm

Official add-ons are also more likely to be better integrated with the rest of the game.
System Administrator
"NGE is like a perfectly improvised jazz piece. It builds on a standard and then plays off it from there, and its developments may occasionally recall what it's done before as a way of keeping the whole concatenated." -- Eva Yojimbo
"To me watching anime is not just for killing time or entertainment, it is a life style, and a healthy one too." -- symbv
"That sounds like the kind of science that makes absolutely 0 sense when you stop and think about it... I LOVE IT." -- Rosenakahara

Lorkhan
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby Lorkhan » Wed Feb 17, 2016 4:48 am

View Original PostNemZ wrote:Be fair though, when it started out there were only like 4 armors total.

I really want to love this game, but I just kinda like it at best. It feels like a step backwards from NV in pretty much every respect but graphics. Almost everything about it still feels like a beta that needs testing and waiting for the actual plot to be added, not this shitty placeholder.

Wouldn't go far as to say that its a shitty placeholder (unlike New Vegas, which is narrative slightly more interesting through dialogue, but extremely lack luster with little variation at its core) across the board for what we actually deal with), but I share the same sentiment. It just seems like this game is just lacking content everywhere. Sure, its dialogue heavy (regarding companions quips across the world and what you do, which is great), something Bethesda always needed to deal with, it just doesn't seem like there's...stuff, to do. It feels like in exchange for quirky locations and people you met and explored through in Fallout 3, the Settlement system takes precedence. I understand that's probably what they were going for since its arguably one of Fallout 4's key features, it just doesn't feel like the exchange was worth it.

Now FO4 is getting... an island in the north atlantic with a town on it? And the factions and plot are just a rehash of the main game? And it costs $25?

They're claiming its the biggest expansion they've ever done, and given what its competition is...that's pretty significant, if its true. Bethesda's DLC's generally tend to be better then what the main games throw at us anyway, so I'm happy for it.

The other two strike me as take it or leave it. Mostly the settlement add on thing. Just sounds like a quirky thing that'd be nice to have, but you would never really suffer from without having it. Count me in for the robo building though, that sounds wicked cool.
"Oh Aka, for our shared madness I do this! I watch you watching me watching you back!"

IronEvangelion
Bridge Bunny
Bridge Bunny

•      
  •      

Postby IronEvangelion » Wed Feb 17, 2016 8:44 am

View Original PostLorkhan wrote:They're claiming its the biggest expansion they've ever done, and given what its competition is...that's pretty significant, if its true.
The size of the map doesn't interest me as much as whether or not they actually put anything interesting in it. I mean FO4's map was much larger than FO3's and NV's maps, but to me it was far more boring than the other two. When the most notable landmark in the worldspace is a baseball stadium with a shanty town in it, that's not a good thing. And the description of Far Harbor they gave us doesn't inspire any confidence in me, as it easily sounds like the most bland expansion to date, possibly surpassing even Point Lookout. It could turn out to be far more interesting than the description lets on, but given how the main game turned out I'm not holding my breath.
[Redacted]

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

•      
  •      

Postby NemZ » Wed Feb 17, 2016 3:58 pm

View Original PostLorkhan wrote:It feels like in exchange for quirky locations and people you met and explored through in Fallout 3, the Settlement system takes precedence. I understand that's probably what they were going for since its arguably one of Fallout 4's key features, it just doesn't feel like the exchange was worth it.

Yes, exactly this. Having places that had their own flavor, their own named characters who could point out things in the area that needed doing and could provide a much needed-break in the combat was so much more interesting than bland craft-a-town zones that get slowly filled up with unnamed settlers. Without that touch it makes the entire wasteland feel like it's composed of at least 95% raiders and monsters. And even the raiders are all the same! Whatever happened to having separate rival gangs that were visibly and tactically different? Sure the logs say they were rivals, but you'd never know that unless you read the computer logs after they were already all dead. I mean why don't any of the raider groups ever just want to talk, maybe have their own quests to give out? Even feral packs of cannibal psychopaths have to have some kind of culture, and surely not every band of raiders is like that... some are likely just settlers who had a bad crop or got hit by another threat and now need to take from others to survive.

I guess what I'm really trying to say is that the game needs to take a decisive step back from just being a shooter with rpg elements and a lot of hiking, and that starts by giving context to the people you encounter whether friend OR foe, including the possibility of changing which group someone you meet falls into depending on your actions. NV was a big step in the right direction with the faction system and being able to work with groups like the Legion, Kahns and Powder Gangs.
"I'd consider myself a realist, alright? but in philosophical terms I'm what's called a pessimist. It means I'm bad at parties." - Rust Cohle
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize that half of 'em are stupider than that." - George Carlin
"The internet: It's like a training camp for never amounting to anything." - Oglaf

Sachi
Oh Daddy!
Oh Daddy!

•      
  •      

Postby Sachi » Sat Feb 20, 2016 4:21 am

So in my travels I came across an "Explosive" combat shotgun. The perk makes bullets explode on impact, doing 15 points area effect damage. Basically, my shotgun has a grenade effect upon impact and it's fucking awesome. It's completely overpowered, destroys just about anything in a few shots, and deals staggering limb damage with each hit. Even near misses on the ground or wall will do significant damage. Just gotta be careful about point blank shots which will also hurt yourself.

The random legendary/perk weapons like this make the game way more fun and unique with each play through. Definitely among my favorite things with this game.
- Sachi

I host the discord server for the EvaGeeks forums. Join us! https://discord.gg/aBQ3F6M9yp

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

•      
  •      

Postby NemZ » Sat Feb 20, 2016 5:53 am

The random nature of it makes it an intem grind like Borderlands or Diablo. I'm not happy that it happened at the expense of a lot less unique items being intentionally placed in the game, and the ones that exist are pretty much just preset legendary items.

IronEvangelion
Bridge Bunny
Bridge Bunny

•      
  •      

Postby IronEvangelion » Mon Feb 22, 2016 7:57 pm

Official mod support is coming.

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/fallou ... n=homepage

Expected to hit PC in April. Should be coming to X1 a month later, and to PS4 a month after that. So, PS4 mod support in June? This could turn the whole game around for me.
[Redacted]

Monk Ed
Sunshine Administrator
Sunshine Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Monk Ed » Mon Feb 22, 2016 8:02 pm

I looked into mods that already exist a little while ago and didn't bother because of the effort it would have taken to implement them. Glad to see official support on the way so it'll be as easy as for the previous games again.
System Administrator
"NGE is like a perfectly improvised jazz piece. It builds on a standard and then plays off it from there, and its developments may occasionally recall what it's done before as a way of keeping the whole concatenated." -- Eva Yojimbo
"To me watching anime is not just for killing time or entertainment, it is a life style, and a healthy one too." -- symbv
"That sounds like the kind of science that makes absolutely 0 sense when you stop and think about it... I LOVE IT." -- Rosenakahara

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

•      
  •      

Postby NemZ » Mon Feb 22, 2016 10:36 pm

It's really not that bad. You have to make a couple of small edits to .txt files and download the Nexus' mod utility loader, but after that you just get things and it works (give or take the occasional conflict if trying to use multiple mods that affect the same thing). Super easy.

Tankred
Anime Ja Nai
Anime Ja Nai

•      
  •      

Postby Tankred » Tue Feb 23, 2016 2:49 pm

View Original PostNemZ wrote:The random nature of it makes it an intem grind like Borderlands or Diablo. I'm not happy that it happened at the expense of a lot less unique items being intentionally placed in the game, and the ones that exist are pretty much just preset legendary items.

The more I delve into Fallout 4 the more I see the laziness, my feelings are still rather mixed on this game, but it seems to me to be mostly casualisation and transforming Fallout's systems into something completely different, like a different person wearing your friends skin, it just looks and feels wrong and you know it. :lol:

Monk Ed
Sunshine Administrator
Sunshine Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Monk Ed » Tue Feb 23, 2016 11:11 pm

I beat the game... apparently. It just kind of happened. I don't know why I was expecting so much more.

pro-Institute ending  SPOILER: Show
After destroying the Brotherhood's presence in the Commonwealth for the Institute, I visited Shaun on his deathbed, had one last conversation, and... that was it. Roll ending monologue.

I know, I know -- why am I surprised? The main quest is actually pretty long, and goes through a few neat twists, yet still I'm left unsatisfied by it. Shaun's death felt like it should have been just another thing that happened on the way to a real ending. More than anything else, now that it's over I don't feel like there's much reason to continue. The game feels a lot emptier now because the main quest was so much more central to the game and more importantly to the character than was true of previous installments. Because of the main quest's central importance, it contextualized everything else as a kind of distraction, so going back to that just feels like treading water.

For all its neat twists and turns, the story just kind of fell apart for me after the big twist. The rest was told in such a lackluster fashion that it ended before I even realized it. It never really went anywhere except to talk vaguely about the future of mankind and the need to eliminate the Institute's enemies. I was expecting something a lot more dramatic and meaningful, such as a revelation that the Institute plans to remake mankind into a synthetic post-organic species, or something. That's the kind of thing I was expecting when a quest titled "Mankind Redefined" popped up... only for nothing of the sort to occur. Ever.
System Administrator

Sachi
Oh Daddy!
Oh Daddy!

•      
  •      

Postby Sachi » Tue Feb 23, 2016 11:39 pm

I had the same feeling about the story suddenly ending and then losing interest afterward as well. After starting a couple new characters and finally settling on one however, I felt the story was less and less important and I was able to find enjoyment in simply playing the game, building settlements, clearing locations, etc. After 40+ levels on my current character am I only now attempting the main quest.
- Sachi

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

•      
  •      

Postby NemZ » Wed Feb 24, 2016 12:31 am

Yeah, I could care less about the main quest. Screw that Shaun Shinji kid, I'm sure he's fine doing... whatever. I haven't even gone to Diamond City yet, still messing around methodically clearing out the land one location at a time.

I just found Curie, who makes a fantastic robo-Maya. Getting to her even involved helping a kitty! :nyao: It's a good day to be a Dr. Pullring.

IronEvangelion
Bridge Bunny
Bridge Bunny

•      
  •      

Postby IronEvangelion » Sat Mar 12, 2016 10:56 am

Automatron's achievements and their descriptions have been revealed.

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/fallou ... n=homepage

Still no solid release date yet, even though it's supposed to be coming out this month.
[Redacted]

IronEvangelion
Bridge Bunny
Bridge Bunny

•      
  •      

Postby IronEvangelion » Mon Mar 14, 2016 9:52 am

Automatron's release date has just been announced. We only need to wait 8 more days, it's releasing on the 22nd.

http://gematsu.com/2016/03/fallout-4-au ... s-march-22

They sure cut it close with the announcement. :lol:
[Redacted]

IronEvangelion
Bridge Bunny
Bridge Bunny

•      
  •      

Postby IronEvangelion » Tue Mar 15, 2016 11:44 pm

Well, yesterday I looked at a guide online for FO4 and found out that at the point I had stopped at, I was only 2 quests from finishing the game. So I decided to soldier on through to the end and get it over with. I sided with the Minutemen and...

Minuteman ending  SPOILER: Show
The synths stormed the Castle right after I made an enemy of the Institute by killing a named scientist. Most of them were cut to shreds by the multitude of turrets I installed at strategic locations, very few actually made it inside. We ended up destroying them all (except one courser who cloaked himself and ran away like a pussy), and... that was the highlight of the whole Minuteman ending quest chain. Nothing that happened afterward was nearly as fun. We couldn't get back in via the courser chip in my pip-boy, so Sturges found another way into the Institute via the reactor water intake.I went in with Cait, snuck into the Institute relay room, and put a holotape in the main terminal that teleported the rest of the Minutemen inside. Sturges got to work on the relay terminal while the rest of us stormed the institute and ripped the place a new asshole. We slaughtered synths and gorillas left and right, as well as any scientists who were cursed by Bethesda's WONDERFUL AI programming to run right into the line of fire. After that, Sarah confronted Shaun Connor on his death bed and talked him into helping her destroy the only thing he ever loved. Synths were shut down, the evacuation order was issued, and we put a nuclear bomb inside a nuclear reactor (nukeception). Then we got zapped back to the relay room, where synth!Shaun was waiting for Sarah and begged her to take him with her. Blinded by maternal instincts, Sarah forgot he was an unholy union of boy and terminator and took him along. Then we warped to the top of the Mass Fusion building and detonated a nuclear bomb in the middle of town. A BIG nuclear bomb. Preston did not think this plan through as much as he should have. I couldn't even enjoy it because I kept wondering how many innocent lives on the surface we had just inadvertently snuffed out as I watched the mushroom cloud rise.

So in summary, it was a distinctly underwhelming ending to a distinctly underwhelming story. Oh well, at least Sarah got several pounds of synthetic gorilla meat out of the deal. Despite having other builds to work on I put the game disc back in the case and put it on my shelf afterwards. There's just no reason for me to play anymore until we get mod support on PS4. I just don't care enough about any of the factions or the commonwealth itself to bother. Actually I'm contemplating trading it in while it's still worth something and just buying the Ultimate Edition next year. I'll probably give my experience with the game some more thought and post my review tomorrow.
[Redacted]

Monk Ed
Sunshine Administrator
Sunshine Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Monk Ed » Wed Mar 16, 2016 8:18 pm

That ending sounds completely ridiculous.

I like the one I got (described upthread) a lot better.
System Administrator

Return to “Video Games and Gaming”