[TV] A Game of Thrones

A subforum for discussions about Film, TV, and Videos.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Stryker
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

[TV] A Game of Thrones

•      
  •      

Postby Stryker » Thu Jun 23, 2011 11:54 am

Just watched the season finale, fucking awesome. I've decided i'm not going to wait six months to see the next series, so i'm going to read the book.

In the mean time, listen to this fan made rock version of the theme.
The Moats of Quotes
"Life is becoming more and more indistinguishable from Onion articles." ~Monk Ed
"Oh my gods, that is awesome. I am inclined to forgive both Grant and the dub in general for that." ~Bagheera
"I don't try to engage in intelligent conversation here anymore."~Chee
"Look, if loving a clone of your mom is wrong, I don't wanna be right." ~Chuckman

|Why angels fight.|What Bagheera is talking about.|

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

•      
  •      

Postby NemZ » Thu Jun 23, 2011 12:03 pm

It was very good, agreed. I find myself rooting for the Imp, personally.
Rest In Peace ~ 1978 - 2017
"I'd consider myself a realist, alright? but in philosophical terms I'm what's called a pessimist. It means I'm bad at parties." - Rust Cohle
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize that half of 'em are stupider than that." - George Carlin
"The internet: It's like a training camp for never amounting to anything." - Oglaf
"I think internet message boards and the like are dangerous." - Anno

Stryker
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

•      
  •      

Postby Stryker » Thu Jun 23, 2011 12:11 pm

Midget man is boss.
The Moats of Quotes
"Life is becoming more and more indistinguishable from Onion articles." ~Monk Ed
"Oh my gods, that is awesome. I am inclined to forgive both Grant and the dub in general for that." ~Bagheera
"I don't try to engage in intelligent conversation here anymore."~Chee
"Look, if loving a clone of your mom is wrong, I don't wanna be right." ~Chuckman

|Why angels fight.|What Bagheera is talking about.|

BornIn1142
Sandalphon
Sandalphon

•      
  •      

Postby BornIn1142 » Thu Jun 23, 2011 2:23 pm

I'm a pretty big fan of the books, and I'm quite pleased with the TV adaptation. My issues with it - for the most part - are limited to details that there was no real reason not to get right.

I've also had a pretty interesting time following TV watchers' reactions.
"I'm afraid you can't create tragedy out of abnormal psychology." - Andrew Sarris.

Azathoth
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Azathoth » Thu Jun 23, 2011 3:54 pm

I'm glad to see that Peter Dinklage is playing Tyrion as just irritating enough that you can see why Tywin despises him; I'm not so glad to hear what appears to be his attempt at an RP accent? But at any rate he plays wonderfully off of Tywin, Jaime, and especially Jerome Flynn's Bronn, who has so far stolen every single scene he's been in ("You wouldn't know him.") I look forward to seeing him bitchfighting with Joffrey and Cersei next season.

I hope Arya will continue to win the show next season - most of her best moments are in the second book, if I recall, and Maisie Williams is probably doing the best job out of the entire cast - not to step on anyone else's toes, since most of them are doing a decent job at least and the only two characters who don't convince me are the same ones who didn't convince me in the book either.

Looking forward to seeing who they cast for Stannis and company...
Nothing is so valuable that it need not be started afresh, nothing is so rich that it need not be enriched constantly.

BornIn1142
Sandalphon
Sandalphon

•      
  •      

Postby BornIn1142 » Thu Jun 23, 2011 4:00 pm

Speaking of Tyrion and Bronn:

One and a Half Man

Make it happen, HBO!

As for Maisie Williams, I very much agree, Azathoth. Arya's my favorite character and I couldn't be more pleased with her portrayal. Williams is not only doing a hell of a job, she's also totally adorable in interviews. Take, for example, her answer to this question, or this amusing/disturbing insight into her character:

SPOILER: Show
"It was really stressful," Williams tells TVGuide.com. "But it was a big scene to shoot because it was Arya's first kill, the first of many [to come]."

(Who are the two characters who didn't convince you, by the way?)
"I'm afraid you can't create tragedy out of abnormal psychology." - Andrew Sarris.

Azathoth
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Azathoth » Thu Jun 23, 2011 4:13 pm

View Original PostBornIn1142 wrote:As for Maisie Williams, I very much agree, Azathoth. Arya's my favorite character and I couldn't be more pleased with her portrayal. Williams is not only doing a hell of a job, she's also totally adorable in interviews.

oh god, lol'd hard at Jason Momoa's and Emilia Clarke's answers. He sounds like a straight up brother, she sounds almost as insane as Daenerys

But anyway yeah, she seems to have a lot of insight into Arya's character and it's good to know that she's prepared to be a death-dealing engine of destruction in days to come. Arya is probably one of the hardest roles to play, I'm glad they're not half-assing it.
Nothing is so valuable that it need not be started afresh, nothing is so rich that it need not be enriched constantly.

Trajan
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby Trajan » Fri Jun 24, 2011 11:38 am

I don't know why I haven't seen this yet considering I've read all the books of the series so far.
Movin' Right Along
"Everything has its beauty but not everyone sees it." - Confucius
"All styles are good except the tiresome kind." - Voltaire

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Tue Apr 03, 2012 10:48 am

Season 2 has begun!

I have mixed feelings about the premiere -- it felt strangely sparse --, but I'm looking forward to the remaining nine episodes.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

Azathoth
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Azathoth » Tue Apr 03, 2012 10:55 am

Trying to introduce too many plot threads at once, I think: the only constant throughout the episode is people reacting to incest. The Dragonstone scenes in particular seemed like they'd be hella confusing to anyone who hadn't read the book, and also have the added problem that Stannis, the main narrative focus of the whole Dragonstone arc, comes off as utterly colorless.

fwiw though second episode has leaked and I hear it's better, though I haven't seen it myself

Trajan
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby Trajan » Tue Apr 03, 2012 1:20 pm

I hope that's that case, because I'd hate for them to screw-up the Dragonstone characters. I'm afraid they're going to focus more on Renly than Stannis much to my chagrin.
Movin' Right Along
"Everything has its beauty but not everyone sees it." - Confucius
"All styles are good except the tiresome kind." - Voltaire

Fireball
First Ancestor
First Ancestor

•      
  •      

Postby Fireball » Tue Apr 03, 2012 3:06 pm

I did not understand why she did not die when she drank from the cup. I guess this is spoiler territory and will be explained later on.

"I was born into the wrong time" - laughed the girl

「<ゝω・)\綺羅星☆!!/
[/size]

Azathoth
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Azathoth » Tue Apr 03, 2012 7:01 pm

View Original PostTrajan wrote:I hope that's that case, because I'd hate for them to screw-up the Dragonstone characters. I'm afraid they're going to focus more on Renly than Stannis much to my chagrin.

Renly is already fucked beyond repair, since they apparently figured "oh, he's a homo? BETTER MAKE HIM A LIMP-DICKED, PREENING, GUTLESS BRAT. THAT'S WHAT HOMOS ARE INTO THESE DAYS ARIGHT" was an acceptable alteration to his character arc.

View Original PostFireball wrote:I did not understand why she did not die when she drank from the cup. I guess this is spoiler territory and will be explained later on.

Rewatch the scene again. Look at her throat.

Fireball
First Ancestor
First Ancestor

•      
  •      

Postby Fireball » Tue Apr 03, 2012 7:50 pm

Yeah, I noticed her stone flickered and? She is some kind of witch I suppose.

"I was born into the wrong time" - laughed the girl

「<ゝω・)\綺羅星☆!!/
[/size]

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Wed Apr 04, 2012 7:50 pm

Azathoth: I didn't get a gay-hating vibe from the show itself (on a meta level). Has Renly actually been deprived of his character arc at the current stage? As I understand it, the show did do something the books did not and make his relationship with Loras more than subtext. And for a "preening, gutless brat", an army of 100,000 is rather impressive...

I haven't read as far as the 2nd book yet, but what I got of the Dragonstone scenes is that Stannis has abandoned paganism (the Seven) and converted to a form of monotheism considered radical in Westeros. Pulling a Constantine, basically. The ceremony where they burn the seven effigies and Stannis pulls out the sword also suggests to me that Stannis seeks divine support in his upcoming campaign to claim the throne. Melisandre would, then, be Stannis' medium to this god, a priestess of sorts.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

Azathoth
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Azathoth » Wed Apr 04, 2012 11:45 pm

View Original PostReichu wrote:Azathoth: I didn't get a gay-hating vibe from the show itself (on a meta level). Has Renly actually been deprived of his character arc at the current stage? As I understand it, the show did do something the books did not and make his relationship with Loras more than subtext. And for a "preening, gutless brat", an army of 100,000 is rather impressive...

It's not exactly subtext at any point past the first book; by A Feast for Crows, Jaime has made several jokes about Loras bottoming for Renly, and Loras himself has pretty much openly admitted it.

The show is not being grievously homophobic, specifically, but I can't say I don't resent Renly being portrayed as cowardly, skinny, insecure, and afraid of blood, of all things. Show Renly is an obsequious pansy; Book Renly is a dumb jock, but also charming, confident, too headstrong if anything. Not to mention he's beefy and two meters tall. The kind of guy who could plausibly amass an army of 100,000 rebels on his personal charisma, actually.

View Original PostReichu wrote:Pulling a Constantine, basically.

ehhh...kind of the other way. The Faith of the Seven is fictionalized Catholicism. The way of Rhllor is exotic and Eastern, dualistic/monolatrist rather than monotheistic - Martin was probably thinking of Zoroastrianism, at least to some extent - which has always had a very slight presence in Westeros but has never caught on. Stannis doesn't really care that much about any gods, at least in the books - his reason for turning his back on the Seven is that he's always had shit luck so far, maybe a different god will do him better, and it can't hurt his chances to have a red priest and a putative magic sword on his side, since he's already fucked anyway.

Sungerson
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Sungerson » Fri Apr 06, 2012 5:24 am

I don't think it was necessarily bad. So much of what the audience sees of Renly in the books is a handsome and charismatic man but this is seen through the eyes and point of views from other characters. I think it was an interesting side to see since it allows the audience to see moments where Renly is allowed to discard the mask (persona if you will) that he dons in front of King's Landing, his family and the political battles. He gets the opportunity to let himself be vulnerable and be open with someone he is intimate with.

I don't remember him being overly important in terms of screentime during Season 1 so I think there's a good chance that we will get to see more of his charismatic and leader qualities in Season 2.
Love it so much
Transparency
Tune in tonight
Expectation
Instinct tells me to keep going together

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Tue Apr 10, 2012 12:25 am

Last week's episode (S02 E02) was good, though the shear quantity of gratuitous sex was a bit embarrassing to watch. More comments:

- Theon's sister seems like an interesting character (and interesting that she put up with his man-whorish interest like she did...). Looking forward to seeing more of her.
- I'm already forgetting however Theon himself comes off in the first book (which I'm almost done with). This one episode manages to portray him as a more unsavory slut than the whole first season combined, or maybe it's just me...
- No Joffrey and Sansa for the whole episode? I guess them and the Hound will get some decent coverage in the next one.
- Arya and Gendry are cute together, despite the age discrepancy. Gendry seems like a cool guy overall; I hope he isn't killed off for a while yet.
- Some nice Imp moments. Looks like he was having second thoughts about making Bronn the Captain of the Guard. :hahaha:
- Stannis' act of indiscretion upon his Westeros-shaped table was a bit... bizarre. "Give yourself to God [me], and God [I] will give you a son!" And this is, like, the second time a woman in this show has promised the XY goods to a powerful man. That's kind of risky, isn't it? Or is Melisandre someone who can take that kind of risk because she can control the conditions in her uterus through the power of her faith? :tongue:
Last edited by Reichu on Tue Apr 10, 2012 1:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

Azathoth
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Azathoth » Tue Apr 10, 2012 12:46 am

View Original PostReichu wrote:I'm already forgetting however Theon himself comes off in the first book

As a dick. But you could be forgiven for not noticing. He doesn't come into the spotlight until the second.

View Original PostReichu wrote:- Arya and Gedry are cute together, despite the age discrepancy.

Chemistry that was already weirdly present in the book and gets even weirder if you realize he's effectively her surrogate for Jon Snow.

View Original PostReichu wrote:Or is Melisandre someone who can take that kind of risk because she can control the conditions in her uterus through the power of her faith? :tongue:

lol. just...yeah, you're going to love where this goes

eta: re Theon's sister, I'm still buttmad that they changed her name, but she's pretty much perfect. and hey, a little incestuous fingering only enables her to troll Theon harder.

Eliaskar
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Eliaskar » Tue Apr 10, 2012 4:54 am

I'm enjoying where it's going so far, if not a little worried about the changes they are making from the book which are more prevalent in this season.

Return to “Film and Video”