Sonic the Hedgehog

Discussions about non-Evangelion related video games, board games, card games and gaming in general.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Shinoyami65
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

•      
  •      

Postby Shinoyami65 » Wed Jul 22, 2015 9:18 am

View Original PostReichu wrote:[*]Sonic the Hedgehog (2006) (PS3)

Why would you spend actual cash money in order to torment yourself?
E̱͡v͈̙e͔̰̳͙r̞͍y͏̱̲̭͎̪ṱ͙̣̗̱͠h̰̰i͙n̶̮̟̳͍͍̫͓g̩ ̠͈en̶̖̹̪d̸̙̦͙̜͕͍̞s̸̰.̳̙̺̟̻̀

I always thought I might be bad
Now I know that it's true
Because I think you're so good
And I'm nothing like you

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Wed Jul 22, 2015 3:52 pm

View Original PostShinoyami65 wrote:Why would you spend actual cash money in order to torment yourself?

Bile fascination, I guess!

I've managed to get up to the notorious fight against Silver. Was one hit away from doing the bastard in, too. Had to call it quits because the house was too noisy to readily hear the audio cue that indicates Silver is open to attack.

Got an interesting glitch on the Egg Cerberus where, for no obvious reason, I "fell through" the ceiling. Though honestly, it was less like falling and more like I was thrust through a worm hole into darkest space or something. Happened twice, so I'm sure it's been documented already.

Elise is the Worst Sonic Character Ever. Who the hell thought she was a good idea?
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

Monk Ed
Sunshine Administrator
Sunshine Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Monk Ed » Wed Jul 22, 2015 4:01 pm

View Original PostReichu wrote:Bile fascination, I guess!

I saw a video once of the load times, highlighting both their frequency and duration. It made the game look downright unplayable. :bigeyes:
System Administrator
"NGE is like a perfectly improvised jazz piece. It builds on a standard and then plays off it from there, and its developments may occasionally recall what it's done before as a way of keeping the whole concatenated." -- Eva Yojimbo
"To me watching anime is not just for killing time or entertainment, it is a life style, and a healthy one too." -- symbv
"That sounds like the kind of science that makes absolutely 0 sense when you stop and think about it... I LOVE IT." -- Rosenakahara

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Wed Jul 22, 2015 4:12 pm

View Original PostMonk Ed wrote:I saw a video once of the load times, highlighting both their frequency and duration. It made the game look downright unplayable. :bigeyes:

Yeah, they are pretty awful! Not so bad when you're actually in one of the main stages, but when you're in the hub world doing really short, simple things, it's hard not to groan in utter disbelief. Simple enough for me to just keep the smart phone at the ready with a distraction, though.

Pity '06 was never released for PC. Die-hard fans might've modded it into something tolerable by now!
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

TehDonutKing
Camel Dilettante
Camel Dilettante

•      
  •      

Postby TehDonutKing » Wed Jul 22, 2015 5:44 pm

View Original PostReichu wrote:Elise is the Worst Sonic Character Ever. Who the hell thought she was a good idea?

That would be Professor Pickle. I honestly think more people would like Elise if she was in a good game instead.
/hj

I said and did some dumb and hurtful things in my time here when i was younger. If i ever hurt you, i'm sorry. If you see any of this while reading old threads, i'm learning and trying to improve. Donut redemption arc in progress.

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Wed Jul 22, 2015 6:04 pm

View Original PostTehDonutKing wrote:That would be Professor Pickle.

He's the one who thought Elise was a good idea? That doesn't make any sen-- Oh.

Even Professor Pickle is better than Elise, if only by virtue of (A) having some kind of visual harmony with preexisting StH characters (they're cartoony, he's cartoony) and (B) not having an interspecies romance with Sonic. (To be honest, I find Chip more annoying. "Hey, Sonic! Time to interrupt everything you're doing for another obligatory tutorial segment!")

I honestly think more people would like Elise if she was in a good game instead.

Might help if she were an anthropomorphic hedgehog or something instead of a pseudo-realistic human, too. (I have no idea how anyone could have worked on the cinematic with Sonic and Elise hanging out on the Windows XP background and not constantly broken down into guffaws.) Also might help if she didn't suffer from contractual helplessless. Maybe it eventually gets better -- I don't have the story memorized, exactly -- but it doesn't look very promising.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

TehDonutKing
Camel Dilettante
Camel Dilettante

•      
  •      

Postby TehDonutKing » Wed Jul 22, 2015 8:28 pm

Story for 06 is the best part of the game, but is still pretty shit due to being rushed.
/hj

I said and did some dumb and hurtful things in my time here when i was younger. If i ever hurt you, i'm sorry. If you see any of this while reading old threads, i'm learning and trying to improve. Donut redemption arc in progress.

FrDougal9000
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby FrDougal9000 » Thu Jul 23, 2015 9:53 am

View Original PostTehDonutKing wrote:Story for 06 is the best part of the game, but is still pretty shit due to being rushed.

I disagree; I actually think the story's the worst part of the whole thing. At least the gameplay had a reason for being rubbish and glitchy; it didn't have enough time. Sonic Team (a small fragment, anyhow, which had to lend a large chunk of its team over to the Sonic & the Secret Things and Phantasy Star Universe teams) had only been working on the game for a year when they were forced to put it out on two unfamiliar next-gen systems. Hell, I still think it's a miracle that the game actually works in some regard, even if it can get a bit unstable.

But the plot and writing had no such excuse. They knew the story they wanted to tell, and told it very badly. Awkward pauses litter the game, the dialogue is bland, CAPTAIN OBVIOUS trite, characters have little to no personality to speak of, the dub acting is frankly awful for the most part (Japanese VAs were at least passionate enough to give the plot a So-Bad-Its-Good vibe) and Shadow & Silver have more relevance to the story than the main character himself! Aside from the aforementioned Jap. voice acting and a couple of decent scenes sprinkled about, it's just a mess that had no excuse or reason being so crap.
Pen-Pen died for your sins!

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Thu Jul 23, 2015 4:03 pm

I don't have much of an opinion on the story so far. Generally a bad idea to go into a Sonic game with high expectations for the story and characterizations, anyway.

I beat Silver, who is really more annoying than difficult once you know what to do. The lack of boss camera is probably the worst aspect of the fight, since it means a lot of blind homing attacks in the direction you THINK he's in. Him throwing you up against the invisible ceiling is also really cheap, since you naturally fall right back into his clutches and it's a guaranteed Hedgehog Down.

I gave Silver's game play a shot. It definitely shows potential. Hovering and throwing objects via psychokinesis are pretty satisfying concepts. The latter is sadly broken, though. Processor lag follows Silver everywhere he goes. This makes it very difficult to aim objects (and aiming isn't that reliable to begin with), and renders Silver's ability to stop bullets in mid-air and potentially throw them back at the enemies all but useless. Also, as far as I know, Silver is helpless if he doesn't have any objects to throw; he has no back-up psychokinetic ability, like chi balls or whatever. Not being able to eliminate on-screen enemies with expedience really doesn't help the slow-down issues!

The first level, Crisis City, was actually kind of fun (for Sonic '06 standards), and it was easy to see why it was included in Generations. The second one, Tropical Jungle, was balls, though. Nonstop camera screw, constant and frequently mortal rates of slowdown, and unclear trajectory make for a terrible, terrible level.

In Sonic's game, I'm currently stalled at the city mission where you have to use Tails, Knuckles, and Sonic, because Tails controls like shit. Really fucking touchy. You're REALLY punished for failing in '06's stupid little missions, too, since there's no simply asking you if you want to attempt the challenge again. NOPE! You have to wait for the hub world to reload, then suffer through two more loading screens in order to get the challenge reloaded.

SEGA, WHAT WERE YOU THINKING? I know this game is criminally unfinished, but really? They even had time to minimize such terrible problems in between the releases of the XB360 and PS3 versions, but apparently the PS3 version, while slightly less glitchy, suffers from LONGER loading times than its predecessor. :facepalm: Keeping my fingers busy with 2048 Plus on my phone during loading screens does help, but... yeah. Without a doubt, the loading screens are the worst part of the game. (As bad as the story might be, it can't compete with the awfulness of the loading screens.)

Meanwhile, in Sonic Heroes, I'm getting a bit frustrated with Bingo Highway (Team Sonic) and Rail Canyon (Team Chaotix). I tried watching a video of someone completing the latter and it was hard to follow what the hell was going on. Really wish the ability to home in on rails existed in this installment.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

Shinoyami65
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

•      
  •      

Postby Shinoyami65 » Thu Jul 23, 2015 7:08 pm

View Original PostTehDonutKing wrote:That would be Professor Pickle. I honestly think more people would like Elise if she was in a good game instead.

I found Pickle bearable, at least more so than Elise. As Reichu said, he fits with the rest of the cast visually and he firmly sticks to his role as a background character and advice-giver whereas Elise's relationship with Sonic was badly written and the segments when you're forced to carry her around were annoying and felt a lot like an attempt to make her seem relevant.

The game also treated Blaze pretty badly, even though she'd already been given decent characterisation and was far more badass in Sonic Rush. I read that Sega actually made a statement that everything that happens to Blaze in '06 has no bearing whatsoever on the backstory of Rush!Blaze, and in fact much of the events of the story of '06 seem to have been thankfully swept under the rug aside from the characters and some locations.

And I'm nothing like you

TehDonutKing
Camel Dilettante
Camel Dilettante

•      
  •      

Postby TehDonutKing » Thu Jul 23, 2015 7:15 pm

I read a theory that Blaze and Eggman Nega were from the future, and Rivals pre-dates '06, but was erased as well. However, Blaze was sent to an alternate universe when she was sealed away, and the seal was so powerful that she was stuck there even after time's reboot. This still leaves a shitton of plot holes, though.
/hj

Rosenakahara
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby Rosenakahara » Fri Jul 24, 2015 4:02 am

Except no, because nega comes from a future where iblis doesn't exist, otherwise silver would have been trying to prevent that future in rivals they go out of their way to point out that 06 should never have happened.
As for blaze, she is the princess of the sol dimension, sonic 06 was some dumb bullshit that made no canonical sense plus sonic never had much in the way of canon anyway, i refuse to think that any part of that game matters except generations crisis city.

So yeah sorry about that random outburst but i would rather the only sonic character that i can truly say i like out of the cartoon any-more that is blaze isn't brought into the 06 theory-crafting.
"She had better march back here and try again! I only send people off on my terms! ...Or in a casket."
I don't need a scabbard to sheathe my mind
What is going on is a concerted effort from anti-progressives to silence anyone who disagrees with them.-Bagheera 2016
The Twelve Kingdoms discussion thread

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Sat Jul 25, 2015 1:22 pm

Hmm, I take it that I should eventually play the Sonic Rush games?

My poor oblivious nephews! They have a whole stack of Sonic games to choose from, but, for reasons beyond my ken, they've been subjecting themselves to Sonic '06 as well. I even remind them, "I have tons of other Sonic games. Are you sure you don't want to play one of them?", but it reaches deaf ears. Monkey see, monkey do, I guess!

Now stuck at White Acropolis (aka the Other Shadow Moses Island) in both Sonic and Silver's games. Amazing how awful the snowboarding mechanics are, when they were perfectly serviceable in Adventure 1 & 2. At least with Blaze you only have to run through the snowboarding section, but on the downside the combat sections with her are torturous due to Blaze's unusually terrible controls.

Silver's previous level, Dusty Level, featured Amy for a section. Damn, has she been nerfed from Sonic Adventure and Sonic Heroes. No aerial attack at all; can only use her hammer from the ground. She can turn invisible like Espio, which is of limited use since, unlike Espio in Heroes, not even the player can see her. She also has a really awful double jump -- almost useless since it provides almost no horizontal distance. Pretty bad. The level on a whole was shit. Best part was glitching through the final door, thereby giving the finger to the second billiard ball puzzle.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

Rosenakahara
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby Rosenakahara » Sat Jul 25, 2015 1:24 pm

Sonic rush games are great, i feel rush 1 has overall better design but rush adventure has MUCH better bosses also it introduces blaze who is the best character in the entire series yet she only has two games playable because SEGA seems to not trust anyone but sonic nowdays.
"She had better march back here and try again! I only send people off on my terms! ...Or in a casket."
I don't need a scabbard to sheathe my mind
What is going on is a concerted effort from anti-progressives to silence anyone who disagrees with them.-Bagheera 2016
The Twelve Kingdoms discussion thread

Shinoyami65
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

•      
  •      

Postby Shinoyami65 » Sun Jul 26, 2015 6:10 am

^Well, they seem to prefer to stick to the old formula of John, Paul, George and Ringo (or Sonic, Knuckles, Tails and Amy).

And I'm nothing like you

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Sat Aug 01, 2015 9:22 pm

Guess I'll have to force one of my siblings to dig out their DS so I can check the first Rush out.

Still playing '06! Current progress...

Sonic: up to Flame Core
Shadow: Wave Ocean finished
Silver: up to Radical Train

I'm (not really) ashamed to say this, but I'm finding '06 to be weirdly... compelling. It's a very difficult feeling to describe. Maybe you could call it a sort of moe, but toward a video game. The game is ambitious, has stellar music and attractive art direction and an enticingly bizarro plot, but is left unfinished and abandoned, brimming with half-baked ideas and unrealized potential. I think I'm receiving more joy from exploring the game and its world than I'm experiencing frustration. Perhaps this will change in time, but so far I've been finding myself playing '06 more than the other Sonic titles I still have to finish.

Though, yes, I do avoid the missions as much as possible. The loading times are just too much, the punishment for failure too great. At least in the regular levels, you get to die five times before you're forced to reload.

The chao raising thing in Sonic Adventure 2 has also been fairly addictive. I've been at it long enough that two of my chao actually fucked, producing my next Champion (aka, "chao that's pretty good at everything except Power"). I'd never gotten that far before, so seeing a ring of flowers sprout around "Atom", then "Pebbles" go up to "Atom" and an egg pop out of nowhere was a bit surreal.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

ChaddyManPrime
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby ChaddyManPrime » Sun Aug 02, 2015 1:45 am

I want an HD Remaster for Adventure 1 & 2, I'd gladly buy it, especially if they made 2 more like 1.
"Look at Me!, I'm Mr. MeeSeeks!" - Mr. MeeSeeks

You know nothing, Jon Snow - Chuckman

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Sun Aug 02, 2015 2:39 am

View Original PostChaddyManPrime wrote:I want an HD Remaster for Adventure 1 & 2, I'd gladly buy it, especially if they made 2 more like 1.

Widescreened HD versions do exist. Sounds like what you're asking for are remakes, though. If they were guaranteed not to suck, I wouldn't mind those games being revisited and overhauled. Could definitely use better controls, better cameras, fewer glitches, and so on, in addition to the obvious graphical update. The soundtracks can be left the heck alone, terrible Knuckles raps and all.

And if that succeeded, they could then remake '06 and call it Sonic Adventure 3, since that's pretty much what it is.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

Sicarius VI
Tokyo-3 Resident
Tokyo-3 Resident

•      
  •      

Postby Sicarius VI » Sun Aug 02, 2015 12:44 pm

View Original PostChaddyManPrime wrote:I want an HD Remaster for Adventure 1 & 2, I'd gladly buy it, especially if they made 2 more like 1.

Holy crap I remember putting hours into both adventure games when I was little on my gamecube.

Now that I looked through this thread I didn't know there was so much talk about Sonic on this forum. So I guess I'll put my two cents here.(Worth like .1 of a penny).

As stated above I got into sonic when I was little, and that was on the GameCube with Adventure 1 and 2, and I also had Heroes on the PS2. Since being little I have in the past played thru 1-3, and the combo of Sonic and Knuckles 3. I see that today Sonic games aren't getting better, but the last good one released was Generations.

However I must say my friend tricked me into watching Sonic.exe and it killed any likable aspect of Sonic for me. I won't go near another game.
"I'm not going there to die, I'm going to find out if I'm really alive." - Spike Spiegel

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Sun Aug 02, 2015 12:50 pm

View Original PostSicarius VI wrote:However I must say my friend tricked me into watching Sonic.exe and it killed any likable aspect of Sonic for me. I won't go near another game.

When I watched it, I just laughed uncontrollably throughout.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

Return to “Video Games and Gaming”