Sonic the Hedgehog

Discussions about non-Evangelion related video games, board games, card games and gaming in general.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

MassiveInvader
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby MassiveInvader » Fri Nov 22, 2013 9:12 pm

View Original PostObstermaxmaster wrote:SO YEA I BUMPED THIS THREAD.
SO YEA I'M TOO LAZY TO THINK OF AN ORIGINAL WAY TO BUMP THIS THREAD. Anybody get Sonic Lost World? It looks incredible. Generations is probably my favorite, while Sonic Unleashed was my least favorite. Anybody else think City Escape is the level with the most reply value? I always played that over and over again with my friends, weather it was adventure 2 or Generations.
I will respect your opinion if you respect mine.

TehDonutKing
Camel Dilettante
Camel Dilettante

•      
  •      

Postby TehDonutKing » Wed Jun 10, 2015 8:54 pm

Official Sonic the Hedgehog twitter confirmed for best twitter account
/hj

I said and did some dumb and hurtful things in my time here when i was younger. If i ever hurt you, i'm sorry. If you see any of this while reading old threads, i'm learning and trying to improve. Donut redemption arc in progress.

Ari
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Ari » Wed Jun 10, 2015 10:14 pm

Fun thing! So at my sister's high school graduation party, a family friend's son came over. Turns out he is currently in a Huge sonic phase (he's like 5 )and loves everything Sonic. He wants to run like sonic, everything :tongue:.So when he came over, he reeaaalllyyy wanted to play sonic so I set up a gaming system that played the original game and basically played it with him for a good part of the party.

C.A.P.
Wabbit Duelist
Wabbit Duelist

•      
  •      

Postby C.A.P. » Wed Jun 10, 2015 10:45 pm

Sonic 2006 and/or Shadow the Hedgehog is going to crush his soul.
"Free-associative internet ravings know no proprietors."-Azathoth
"Cinema's value is that it is inhuman."-chee
"I only meant to stay a while."-ELO

TehDonutKing
Camel Dilettante
Camel Dilettante

•      
  •      

Postby TehDonutKing » Wed Jun 10, 2015 11:15 pm

Shadow is good if you keep your tongue in your cheek the whole time.
/hj

I said and did some dumb and hurtful things in my time here when i was younger. If i ever hurt you, i'm sorry. If you see any of this while reading old threads, i'm learning and trying to improve. Donut redemption arc in progress.

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Tue Jun 23, 2015 4:59 pm

So I've recently gotten my 5-year-old nephews into Sonic. Colorful graphics, great tunes, anthropomorphic animals with attitude, what's there not to love? They got interested when they saw me playing Sonic Generations, and naturally they've wanted to play it, though it's a pretty bad title to start out on. I don't think they've gotten past Chemical Plant. For their birthday, I got them the collection with all the core classics (minus CD, boo!) on it. We'll see how it goes.

I couldn't help but flex my atrophied muscles on Sonic & Knuckles today. Picked Knuckles, since his route is shorter. Managed to get to Mecha Sonic's second phase, and proceeded to die repeatedly. Boss fights with super-finicky hit boxes that make you start over from the beginning every time you lose a life are actually kind of hard with a couple of boys clinging onto you constantly interrupting your concentration with their Beyond Captain Obvious commentary and herpa derp questions. (Me: "Why, yes, Metal Sonic is made of metal. How did you figure?")
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

C.A.P.
Wabbit Duelist
Wabbit Duelist

•      
  •      

Postby C.A.P. » Tue Jun 23, 2015 5:48 pm

Prepare yourself when they start liking Sonic Adventure 2.

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Tue Jun 23, 2015 7:21 pm

View Original PostC.A.P. wrote:Prepare yourself when they start liking Sonic Adventure 2.

I tried playing that years ago and never got too far into it. From what I've gathered since, the reception is mixed, but not nearly as fiercely as some of Sega's later attempts (leading up to Generations or Colors, anyway).
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

GT-One
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby GT-One » Fri Jul 03, 2015 4:18 am

Sonic originally got me into video games, back when SEGA was still an established producer of home entertainment consoles. Started out on the Master System with Sonic 1 and 2, before getting a Genesis some years later. Never owned most of the games for this console though (besides Sonic 1), so it wasn't until the mid-2000's, that I finally could experience the most epic 16-bit game ever - the combined powers of Sonic 3 & Knuckles.

I couldn't care less about what's been coming out since Sonic 3D, although I've got to admit, that Sonic Racers had something to it. :lol:
"Feelings of love are just a temporary lapse in judgement. Like a mental illness." - Haruhi Suzumiya
"Is that supposed to be funny?" - Kyon

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Wed Jul 08, 2015 1:44 pm

So, I'm finding that I really hate the Time Eater in Generations...

I picked up Sonic Adventure DX and, naturally, it's catnip for the 5-year-olds. They're totally into it. Their favorite character seems to be Tails, since he's a nice kid they can relate to, being a boy with a prepubescent voice and all. Even though the game is buggy is all hell, I still find it really fun. (What does that say about me?)

I'm thinking about picking up the GameCube versions of Adventure 2 and Heroes pretty soon. (Maybe even '06, for the "rite of passage" aspect, if I can find it for cheap enough.) I'm wondering, though, if there's anything in the Sonic library I'm blatantly overlooking that might provide some good, solid fun. Does anyone here have any titles they like that might be a bit off the beaten path?
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

FrDougal9000
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby FrDougal9000 » Wed Jul 08, 2015 4:12 pm

View Original PostReichu wrote:Does anyone here have any titles they like that might be a bit off the beaten path?

Do you have Sonic Gems Collection? I remember it being on the GC, and it has a few of the more obscure classic games (including the PC versions of CD and Sonic R) to dig into. As for Sonic 06, I wouldn't recommend looking for it. Back in 2010, SEGA de-listed the game (along with a couple others) at both retail and online marketplaces in an attempt to 'cleanse' the series of rubbish games, so even pre-ordered copies of it are really rare and expensive to find these days.*

*I should know, I paid €15 for the only copy in my town just to review the damn thing.

As a side note, I find you describing your nephews' love for the series unspeakably adorable. Thanks for that, it made my day. :)
Pen-Pen died for your sins!

C.A.P.
Wabbit Duelist
Wabbit Duelist

•      
  •      

Postby C.A.P. » Wed Jul 08, 2015 4:21 pm

Sonic R.

In all seriousness though, of the 3D games, your best bet is probably Sonic Colors (which I haven't played, but I know the good reputation it has) and Generations. The rest are all over the place; they're either fascinatingly playable or a trainwreck of the best kind.

If it's the 2D games, pretty much any of the Genesis games (expect Spinball and 3D Blast, and even those are debatable) and a few Game Gear/Master System games will do just fine. The Dimps games (Sonic Advance) might work out A-OK too, providing you're ok with the game design being a bit different from the Genesis games.

Really, just get Sonic Mega Collection and go from there. If not, here's a list of Sonic games. See which one interests you.

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Wed Jul 08, 2015 4:49 pm

View Original PostFrDougal9000 wrote:Do you have Sonic Gems Collection?

I was looking at that, but debating whether to go for the collection or to just get the Sonic CD remake over PSN or something. Is Sonic R worth it?

Sonic '06 really doesn't seem to be hard to get, as eBay is swimming with copies. In fact, I just ordered one for $12, because I hate myself, and also because watching the nephews get frustrated after they invariably attempt to play it will be worth every penny. :devil: (I'm a terrible aunt.)

Heh, your comment about my nephews makes me wish I had a better computer so I could do some LPs with them contributing. "Watch Reichu attempt to play video games while her two 5-year-old nephews provide a nonstop barrage of inane commentary and questions!" Has anything like that been done before, I wonder?

C.A.P.: I actually have Colors, Generations, and Mega Collection already. Probably should have said that. -o-; Haven't played Colors yet -- I think Generations might have put me off trying by virtue of that awful Planet Wisp stage. Well, I beat Generations today, so I guess Colors is up next...

...Am I weird for actually liking Sonic Spinball? :tongue:
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

C.A.P.
Wabbit Duelist
Wabbit Duelist

•      
  •      

Postby C.A.P. » Wed Jul 08, 2015 4:57 pm

Sonic R is the kind of the racing game where if you know what you're doing, you'll unlock everything within a day. But it's a very memorable kind of day: you have (great) music that has no place in a racing game, tank controls, not that many characters, only 5 stages to play. It's so darn short that you have to wonder why Sonic Team and Traveler Tales bothered to make it, besides creating an excuse to work together again (with Sonic 3D Blast).

So, I guess if you want to put on a game to waste time and let the kids play a 3D racing game with their favorite characters, go for it. Who knows, maybe they'll remember the OST.

(not sure about the LP idea though. Worth a shot if you're up for it)

drinian
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby drinian » Wed Jul 08, 2015 6:46 pm

View Original PostReichu wrote:...Am I weird for actually liking Sonic Spinball? :tongue:

I'm a horrible gamer, but I have probably spent more time on Spinball than any other Sonic game and still find it fun.

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Thu Jul 09, 2015 12:11 am

View Original PostC.A.P. wrote:(not sure about the LP idea though. Worth a shot if you're up for it)

My current hardware wouldn't be up for it, but if I manage to get a desktop before the nephews exit their "kids say the darnest things" phase... Well, if I miss them, there's always their little brother.

Alright, went on a Sonic shopping spree today.

• Sonic Adventure 2 (PSN)
  • NiGHTS (PSN) (close enough, right?)
  • Sonic the Hedgehog (2006) (PS3)
  • Sonic Unleashed (Wii)
  • Sonic Gems Collections (GC)
  • Sonic Heroes (GC)
  • Sonic Riders (GC) (came bundled with Sonic Heroes)
These should definitely keep me occupied for the foreseeable future...
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

Lorkhan
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby Lorkhan » Fri Jul 10, 2015 12:30 am

*sees Sonic 2006 on the list*

Prepare for pain, suffering, and awkward cringe inducing moments.
"Oh Aka, for our shared madness I do this! I watch you watching me watching you back!"

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Tue Jul 21, 2015 1:34 pm

Posted: Fri Jul 10, 2015 2:03 am

View Original PostLorkhan wrote:Prepare for pain, suffering, and awkward cringe inducing moments.

TAKE THIS! IT'S NO USE! TAKE THIS! IT'S NO USE! TAKE THIS! IT'S NO USE!

I've been settling into NiGHTS, and it does feel very Sonic-like in a lot of ways. It's pretty killer on the thumb, and it's kind of a pain to need to start a stage over from scratch if you lose a boss fight, but otherwise it's quite fun. Definitely a unique experience, with great imagery and music. Has you going "wtf is going on and what do I do?" for a short while after starting up, but mess around enough and things start to come together.

----------------------

NEW POST:

Okey dokey! I've given most of the Sonic games that I've recently secured a whirl. Figured I might as well tell the Internet what I think about them.

Sonic Adventure 2 (PSN): I remember playing the Heroes tract years ago, giving up in Sonic's Egypt-themed level, and never looking back. It felt really disappointing compared to the first game (which I'm quite fond of). Giving it a second chance now, it's actually fairly distracting. Goes without saying that the Sonic and Shadow stages are pretty fun. (Much as people hate on Shadow, I find his roller blade-inspired run to be awfully hypnotic.) The shoot-em-up levels are alright -- not the greatest, but playable enough. Chao Garden is exponentially better. The stage select mode is much better-designed than SA1's Trial mode. Probably the biggest hitch are the terrible Knuckles and Rouge stages. These wouldn't be so bad if your radar worked the same way it did in SA1, but they force you to hunt emerald shards or keys in a particular sequence. This really drags out the levels and removes the element of nonlinearity that made Knuckles' stages an actually fun distraction in SA1. What were they thinking?!

Sonic CD: Plays basically the same as the original 3 and a half Megadrive titles. Not sure why we need both a spin dash and a "peel-out". The time travel element is a bit confusing. Getting Good Futures for each level is the "proper" way to play, AFAIK, but it seems pretty hard to pull off (at least if you suck, like I do). Disappointing that the Gems Collection only has the US soundtrack, which doesn't loop properly (really disconcerting having a period of silence every time the BGM restarts...) and couldn't even be bothered to provide its own Past level music.

Sonic Colors (Wii): Pretty fun so far. Much more intuitively designed than Unleashed; interface is nice and simple. The general game play is very similar to Generations (or vice versa, but I played Gen first), and I mostly just have to get used to the various Wisp powers. Sometimes the stages can be too colorful or busy, making it difficult to tell what the fuck is going on.

Sonic Heroes (GameCube): This was really easy to pick up and play. The team mechanic is well-implemented and I encountered very little confusion. Tutorial elements are non-intrusive; they don't stop the gameplay to tell you things and they're easy to skip over when you already know something. Voice clips are a bit repetitive and there's no option to switch over to Japanese vocals, so boo to that. Movesets and level designs could probably vary a bit more between the four teams. Chaotix's levels seem more tedious than fun. Seems like a fun game overall, though, and I look forward to playing it some more.

Sonic the Hedgehog (2006): Barely played this, and already it's not looking good. The hub world that relies on archaic RPG conceits in order to advance is irritating. Sonic's first real level started out actually okay, but as soon as they swapped in Tails, whose sole attack is a retarded ring bomb (whatever happened to the tail swipe?), things started sucking fast. After that, it was the first "mach speed" segment, where you GOTTA GO FAST and bumping into ANYthing deducts a life. (Also sends Sonic spiraling into glitched out madness. Pretty WTF.) Was also totally unprepared for the game's lack of auto-save. Pretty lame.

Sonic Unleashed (Wii): The tutorial elements you have to suffer at the onset are some of the poorest designed I've tolerated in recent memory. The "day" levels are supposed to be this game's saving grace, but I'm finding them to be not especially fun. I've tried all three possibilities for controlling Sonic (Wiimote, Classic, Gamecube), and none of them feel right. The werehog levels are satisfying in a dumb kind of way, with the exception of pointless deaths resulting from unresponsive controls (Sonic not grabbing or double-jumping in a totally predictable way). The overall interface is cluttered and confusing, and the "talk to villagers" RPG elements seem kind of pointless. Chip is really fucking annoying (in the obligatory English dub, anyway).
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

Rosenakahara
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby Rosenakahara » Tue Jul 21, 2015 1:55 pm

Unleashed wii and ps2 is actually not that great of a game to me, ps3+xbox 360 however is much better in both the daytime stages and the whole layout.
"She had better march back here and try again! I only send people off on my terms! ...Or in a casket."
I don't need a scabbard to sheathe my mind
What is going on is a concerted effort from anti-progressives to silence anyone who disagrees with them.-Bagheera 2016
The Twelve Kingdoms discussion thread

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Tue Jul 21, 2015 4:18 pm

View Original PostRosenakahara wrote:Unleashed wii and ps2 is actually not that great of a game to me, ps3+xbox 360 however is much better in both the daytime stages and the whole layout.

I tried to get a feel from reviews for which version would be more worth it, and there really didn't seem to be any consensus whatsoever. Opinions are all over the map. I suppose I may eventually try the HD version and see for myself.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

Return to “Video Games and Gaming”