Sonic the Hedgehog

Discussions about non-Evangelion related video games, board games, card games and gaming in general.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

AdamMalkovitch
Clockiel
Clockiel

Re: Sonic the Hedgehog

•      
  •      

Postby AdamMalkovitch » Thu Feb 08, 2018 1:05 pm

Mania is one of the greatest games ever released, period. Adventure 2 is overrated and terrible, Adventure 1 is badass and my favorite Adventure-style Sonic game. 06 is fun as hell even with the bugs, Colours is good but only the first acts and bosses, Unleashed HD is fucking awesome, Unleashed SD is fun but too segmented for my tastes. Sonic 1 is decent, CD is abysmal, 2 is good, 3 & Knuckles is incredible, R is fun but bad, Fighters is terrible but has awesome music. Forces is an enjoyable movie, but a shit game, Infinite is one of the most pointless, confused characters ever "written". Shadow the Hedgehog is fun explody gun bang bang pew pew explosions insanity with way too many possible goddamn paths and incredible CG cutscenes (Mari Makinami would love this one). Generations is okay, but Modern's stomp lag combined with how long it takes the stomp animation to finish completely ruins modern Crisis City for me, and Classic's almost-there-but-not-quite physics just make it hurt to play his stages.
Fight me.
*injects Angel blood* I know what the fuck an EVA is now :)

FrDougal9000
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby FrDougal9000 » Thu Feb 08, 2018 2:45 pm

I think the reason critics, as well as most fans, got pissed with Sonic Forces was due to one big thing: since Lost World and Boom had been on the Wii U (which very few people owned), this was going to be the first main series Sonic game that most people would be able to play since Sonic Generation: in other words, in SIX YEARS. Yes, there was Sonic Mania (and thank fuck for that), but a lot of folks felt that this would be the big game to pay attention to. And there was so much hype around it: it had stakes that the series hadn't seen in nearly a decade, Classic Sonic was coming back, there were custom characters in it! Love it or hate it, Sonic Forces was going to be a memorable game.

And in the end? It was just a mediocre nothing of a game: not terrible (and props to yourself and everyone else who enjoys the game regardless), but there was nothing to it. After all this time, after all the hype, and it ultimately amounted to nothing. At least Mania softened the blow by being a simply excellent platformer that delighted a vast chunk of the fandom; lord knows what would have happened if it was just Forces that came out.
Pen-Pen died for your sins!

AdamMalkovitch
Clockiel
Clockiel

•      
  •      

Postby AdamMalkovitch » Fri Mar 09, 2018 11:02 am

So I was designing a made up MK-II form of a possible E-107 x (chi) while thinking over the theory that the AAA WUNDER is a modified 12th Angel, and had an idea- what if the Egg Carrier is a super-modified E Series Model Machine? I know that when E-102 y (Gamma) is activated, Robotnik tells her that she's the second of his E Series Model Machines, but this could very easily be a lie, as Robotnik is a tricky bastard well known to lie and manipulate others, plus, he went out of his way to keep y from seeing b's modification after her failure to beat y. The Egg Carrier is plated with smooth steel in primarily three colours, just like the other E Series, fires individual yellow-orange shots as a form of self defence, and has a large, round green glass panel on it's deck in both forms (mirroring an E Series' eyes), which brings me to the biggest hint that Egg Carrier is an enormous E Series- it transforms. When y goes over water, runs for an extended period, or uses her Hover module, and then touches solid ground, she will automatically transform into a folded-up form with wheels, allowing for faster movement. The Egg Carrier, similarly, can be transformed at will between two different forms, one for combat/defence, and one that extends it's form and makes it more streamlined (which can be seen during Sky Deck Act II, when it will accelerate in an attempt to fling Sonic and Tails from it's wings).

In conclusion, I believe that Egg Carrier is a super airship, possibly powered by multiple small animals, with enough firepower to (supposedly) kill Perfect Chaos. It can transform between two forms, combat and mobility, and is designed similarly to the following E Series. I think that during construction on Egg Carrier, Robotnik wanted to try to compress it's power into smaller super-badniks, and thus, created the E Series.

EDIT: Apparently at one point Egg Carrier was even supposed to have a face! https://goo.gl/images/iDCVWs

EDIT EDIT: Upon closer inspection, Egg Carrier does still have a face, but it looks more like a frog smile than a classic stylized Eggman face or E Series face. I did however notice that Egg Genesis in Sonic the Hedgehog 2006 does have a really E Series-lookin' face, and I wouldn't be surprised if it was originally going to be a reference to E-105 Zeta's upgraded form, which even seems to act as a sort of core or control system for Egg Carrier, which brings a dark implication that Zeta could be a parasite taking over the mind of Egg Carrier.

AdamMalkovitch
Clockiel
Clockiel

•      
  •      

Postby AdamMalkovitch » Thu Mar 15, 2018 10:01 am

So I noticed something interesting while playing Colours, Lost World, and (watching) Forces back to back, since they're all sort of on-rails action games with 2D sections and unique gimmicks with similar physics, and I noticed that there's an End of Evangelion reference in Desert Ruins 4. During the last phase of the battle with Zomom, the enormous green and orange face mecha made of cubes (which itself could be a Gurren Lagann reference) is lying on the ground, partially buried in the sand, far in the background, with a portion of the left half of it's face missing, and Zomom using the cubes that broke off as walls to trap Sonic and fight him. I burst out laughing when I noticed the similarities to the gigantic Rei face during the finale of End of Evangelion. I wonder if there are other weeb-y references in Sonic that I've missed, besides the obvious, like Shadow being a Vegeta parallel and the whole Super Sonic/Super Saiyan thing

Gus Hanson
Authentic Wizard
Authentic Wizard

•      
  •      

Postby Gus Hanson » Sat Jun 23, 2018 4:35 pm

First game I played once I reconnected the Wii today was Colors!

I once used to dread having the difficulty of not being able to activate the Wisp power because I apparently wasn't shaking the damn controller fast enough until now. :tongue: Now I can use the ability and it's made my gaming experience much more fun and essential since you need the ability to get through certain obstacles in your way.
"Damn it! Who do I have to screw around here just to get a stupid story?!" - Gail Hailstorm, author of the book You're Dead, I'm Rich (Scary Movie)

AdamMalkovitch
Clockiel
Clockiel

•      
  •      

Postby AdamMalkovitch » Sun Jun 24, 2018 12:01 pm

Happy belated birthday you speedy blue shitfuck. NiGHTS should have taken your place decades ago.

AdamMalkovitch
Clockiel
Clockiel

•      
  •      

Postby AdamMalkovitch » Thu May 27, 2021 3:04 pm

Damn this topic is really 10 years old, that's kinda fuckin insane.
That said... the first Sonic Central stream they did today was awful. Nobody gives a shit about your mobile games or Sonic gold chains, SEGA. And THAT said, Origins looks like it's gonna be fuckin awesome. Notice they said it was "featuring" Sonic 1, 2, 3K, and CD, implying there's more to be announced. I'm hoping for Sonic R and the Saturn version of 3D Blast with it's awesome special stages and music, but without the hellish loading times. Maybe some of the Master System/Game Gear games to appease the South American fans and the weird people who think they're good games despite having access to the Genesis titles their whole life. One thing that's important to note is that Sonic 3 & Knuckles WILL be in widescreen, the trailer footage was all older versions and the 3K widescreen build just isn't ready yet. This was confirmed by Katie of the Sonic social media team on her Twitter: https://twitter.com/KatieChrz/status/13 ... 7870642178
Colors Ultimate is really disappointing based on what little we've seen. Same opening movie, very largely the same assets with a bit more detail, the bloom cranked up, inclusion of the Jade Ghost [only a 2D asset in the trailer, no gameplay footage yet] and a few new particle effects like the aura surrounding Sonic as he's running from the giant purple crustacean lookin robot in Aquarium Park Zone. The dealbreaker for me is the epic games exclusivity. I don't care that I have to use a different launcher, I can just add a shortcut in my Steam, but from what I've read epic treats their employees like trash, fuck no I'm not supporting them. And the only console I have that it's on is nintendo switch, and nintendo has their own collection of fucked up moral shit they've done, especially recently. Probably gonna go for a used switch copy as long as it doesn't look like shit and isn't missing any content. Deluxe edition seems neat but why the hell does the physical release come with a baby movie Sonic keychain? Did they just have too much inventory and need to get rid of it?
Sonic Prime is gonna suck. I don't care that the Ben 10 guys did it, it's a Netflix exclusive, which means there's a very, VERY slim chance it'll even be passable. I do, however, have very high hopes for the unnamed 2022 game, because the anniversary games have a pattern of good, shit, good, shit, starting with Sonic 1 and Sonic 3D Blast. Gens was great and Forces was cold jizz so that means next game is gonna be baller. Seems like the wisps are back based on the effect Sonic has while running in that first shot, BUT, it's not just one color, the particle effect is both cyan and pink, resembling both the Cyan Laser and Pink Spike powerups when shown in full detail in the prerendered Sonic Colors opening. So I have a hypothesis- maybe this time, you can carry 2 Wisps at once. For this example, maybe you can laser across a chasm towards a wall, and then activate spikes when you get to it to climb up the wall and access a new path or Red Ring. Or maybe you could use spike first to get high up and then use laser to shoot you to a new area.
Some interesting stuff in the new game, but the rest is pretty meh TBH.

BernardoCairo
Full/Super Moderator
Full/Super Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby BernardoCairo » Mon Jun 28, 2021 4:07 pm

If anyone missed Sonic's symphony, I recommend watching it right now (I've heard it like five times already lol).
I don't know which was the best melody, Sonic 2 or Mania. Chemical Plant, Spring Yard, Sky Sanctuary and Press Garden were top-notch! Unfortunately, there were no songs from Sonic CD. Oh well. It was amazing!
https://youtu.be/UGTlBHNvjsU
Just sit here and waste your precious time. When you want to do something, don't do it right away. Don't do it when you can. Read my posts instead. It's the only way to live a life without regrets.

C.A.P.
Wabbit Duelist
Wabbit Duelist

•      
  •      

Postby C.A.P. » Fri May 20, 2022 8:18 am

Been on a Sonic binge since the second movie came out months ago (which was great).

I've pretty much determined that I don't like SONIC FORCES, SONIC LOST WORLD, and the two SONIC 4 episodes after playing them first time. SONIC GENREATIONS was fantastic though. Even the 3DS version wasn't that bad.

I can go all day with this franchise.
"Free-associative internet ravings know no proprietors."-Azathoth
"Cinema's value is that it is inhuman."-chee
"I only meant to stay a while."-ELO

Return to “Video Games and Gaming”