Evageeks Fandub

For Eva-related fan projects: fanfiction, fanart, AMVs, and other creations. Share your work and discuss others' here.

Moderator: Board Staff

Stryker
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

Evageeks Fandub

•      
  •      

Postby Stryker » Wed Jun 08, 2011 6:07 pm

View Original PostReichu wrote:We should probably get back on topic. If folks want to talk about a fan dub (whether jokingly or seriously), a thread in Fandom should do the trick.

Done.

We should start working on the cast. And yes, I am aware of this thread, but I'm not sure we want to revive an old topic, as well as use a topic that doesn't necessarily have the same objective. So, I'll start listing. Now, this could be regarded seriously, or just be for fun.

Shinji: Major Rikku (VAA)
Misato: Incorrect Box (VAA)
Rei: Ame (VAA)
Asuka:
Ritsuko:
Gendo: Black Mage Brad (VAA)
Kaji: Gatotsu
Kozoman: Stryker
Toji: Black Mage Brad (VAA)
Kensuke: Aetherblade (VAA)
Hikari: Obstermaxmaster
Maya: Aerify (VAA)
Aoba: Crash Cortez (?)
Hyuga:
Kaworu: Zubanta (VAA)
Yui:
Keel: Blackmagebrad (VAA)
Naoko: Major Rikku (VAA)
Kyoko:
Background Voices/Sound Effects (Seele peeps, PenPen, etc.:( Reichu, Stryker, Crash Cortez, Tarnsman

Production Manager: Stryker
Voice Acting Directors: Stryker, Yue
Technical Directors: Tarnsman, Zitsep
Consultant: Crash Cortez
Honorary Members: Kendrix, C.A.P

This is now an official thread for the dub. Forum as well as VAA members are reporting here in regard to the dub.
Last edited by Stryker on Fri Mar 23, 2012 7:52 pm, edited 28 times in total.
The Moats of Quotes
"Life is becoming more and more indistinguishable from Onion articles." ~Monk Ed
"Oh my gods, that is awesome. I am inclined to forgive both Grant and the dub in general for that." ~Bagheera
"I don't try to engage in intelligent conversation here anymore."~Chee
"Look, if loving a clone of your mom is wrong, I don't wanna be right." ~Chuckman

|Why angels fight.|What Bagheera is talking about.|

Shogo-Kun
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby Shogo-Kun » Wed Jun 08, 2011 6:31 pm

I'd go for Kensuke or Kaji, but I've no microphone to record my voice.
NGE was a damned good anime
EoE was an anime masterpiece
And Rebuild is nothing short of epic
Long live the EVAs!!

AVATAR Oreo Nakamura, Light and Dark

gatotsu911
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

•      
  •      

Postby gatotsu911 » Wed Jun 08, 2011 6:37 pm

I am on board with this, and am willing to write and direct if need be. Someone else will have to handle the tech/sound mixing aspects, though, 'cuz I'm really not good at it.

I think given my vocal range I could probably play Kaworu or Hyuga, maybe Toji, or maaaaaybe Kaji. My voice is way too deep for Shinji or Kensuke and not old enough for Gendo, Fuyutsuki, Keel, etc. If the members of SEELE have foreign accents, I'd love to give that a try though.

If you need more recruits (and let's face it, you might) you might want to head over to the Voice Acting Alliance forums, the HQ for all amateur VAs on the Interwebs. We might also want to get PRPD and RebornZombie in here, since they have some firsthand experience with this sort of thing.

Also, do we want a "serious" dub or a joke dub? I'd be up for either, though the latter would - let's face it - require a lot more work.
"I am shocked, SHOCKED, that a regular on an Evangelion forum would be a self-hating mess." - Tarnsman, paraphrased

"Jesus Christ, why are we even still talking about this shit?" - The Eva Monkey, summing up Evageeks in a sentence

Avatar: The Frozen Flame ~ Where Angels Lose Their Way

child of Lilith
Celestial Serendipity
Celestial Serendipity

•      
  •      

Postby child of Lilith » Wed Jun 08, 2011 6:42 pm

And so it begins. . .
"Let the right one in. Let the old dreams die. Let the wrong ones go. They cannot do, what you want them to do."- Morrissey, Let the Right One Slip In

"Happy people can be so cruel"- Claudia, Silent Hill 3

"everlasting, true love, I am yours"- Rule of Rose

Stryker
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

•      
  •      

Postby Stryker » Wed Jun 08, 2011 7:06 pm

View Original Postgatotsu911 wrote:Also, do we want a "serious" dub or a joke dub? I'd be up for either, though the latter would - let's face it - require a lot more work.

A joke dub, harder? I don't mean to mock you, its just that I completely differ with you. But to remain on the question, it could really go either way, depending on how the VAs want to do it. I, personally, prefer a serious dub (considering how there are many joke dubs out there), but a joke dub would be quite fun (and hilarious to do) as well. Rebbie and PRPD would be valuable assets (I've seen some of their stuff, pretty nice).

@Gatotsu: Well, I'll see what you can do for foreign accents. We could certainly use them for the Seele members, and maybe some bridge bunnies. And, out of those four, choose the easiest one.

@Kun: If you want to, you can do both. Although, if one person requests one of the two, you're gunna need to give it up.

@Reichu: Yes, I want you to do the Eva voices, no matter how bad they are (hearing Chewbacca would be priceless).

Editing OP.
The Moats of Quotes
"Life is becoming more and more indistinguishable from Onion articles." ~Monk Ed
"Oh my gods, that is awesome. I am inclined to forgive both Grant and the dub in general for that." ~Bagheera
"Look, if loving a clone of your mom is wrong, I don't wanna be right." ~Chuckman

BiQ
Sahaquiel
Sahaquiel

•      
  •      

Postby BiQ » Wed Jun 08, 2011 7:12 pm

I have this (perverse?) wish to hear Nemz as Shinji and Kendrix as Asuka just because I know they are quite critical of these respective characters. SuperShinjiAsukaShipper would rock as Kaworu, too.

No, this message should not be taken seriously.
Last edited by BiQ on Wed Jun 08, 2011 7:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

gatotsu911
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

•      
  •      

Postby gatotsu911 » Wed Jun 08, 2011 7:12 pm

Doing a joke dub that isn't terrible involves writing jokes that aren't terrible, which is an awful lot harder than just trying to recreate (to some extent) existing material. It doesn't help that Evangelion has by now been parodied to hell and back.
"I am shocked, SHOCKED, that a regular on an Evangelion forum would be a self-hating mess." - Tarnsman, paraphrased

"Jesus Christ, why are we even still talking about this shit?" - The Eva Monkey, summing up Evageeks in a sentence

Stryker
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

•      
  •      

Postby Stryker » Wed Jun 08, 2011 7:56 pm

View Original Postgatotsu911 wrote:Doing a joke dub that isn't terrible involves writing jokes that aren't terrible, which is an awful lot harder than just trying to recreate (to some extent) existing material. It doesn't help that Evangelion has by now been parodied to hell and back.

Oh, you mean jokes. I thought you meant that the dubbing itself would be hilariously bad (on purpose of course). If you mean that, then of course it is harder.
The Moats of Quotes

EvangelionFan
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby EvangelionFan » Wed Jun 08, 2011 8:07 pm

I'd rather watch a Kindergartener dub with leetspeak subtitles.
Voluntary Illusion.

child of Lilith
Celestial Serendipity
Celestial Serendipity

•      
  •      

Postby child of Lilith » Wed Jun 08, 2011 8:09 pm

View Original PostStryker wrote:Oh, you mean jokes. I thought you meant that the dubbing itself would be hilariously bad (on purpose of course). If you mean that, then of course it is harder.
If you guys are going to do this you should do the best job you possibly can. No point in taking it only half way.
"Let the right one in. Let the old dreams die. Let the wrong ones go. They cannot do, what you want them to do."- Morrissey, Let the Right One Slip In

"Happy people can be so cruel"- Claudia, Silent Hill 3

"everlasting, true love, I am yours"- Rule of Rose

Stryker
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

•      
  •      

Postby Stryker » Wed Jun 08, 2011 8:12 pm

View Original PostEvangelionFan wrote:I'd rather watch a Kindergartener dub with leetspeak subtitles.

I'll take note of that. I'll see if I can get my 7 yr old brother to play as Shinji.
The Moats of Quotes

gatotsu911
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

•      
  •      

Postby gatotsu911 » Wed Jun 08, 2011 8:25 pm

http://audioatrocities.com/games/chaoswars/clip2.mp3

Shogo-Kun
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby Shogo-Kun » Wed Jun 08, 2011 9:05 pm

View Original Postgatotsu911 wrote:http://audioatrocities.com/games/chaoswars/clip2.mp3

The fuck was that?
NGE was a damned good anime
EoE was an anime masterpiece
And Rebuild is nothing short of epic
Long live the EVAs!!

AVATAR Oreo Nakamura, Light and Dark

C.A.P.
Wabbit Duelist
Wabbit Duelist

•      
  •      

Postby C.A.P. » Wed Jun 08, 2011 9:26 pm

...we're seriously going to do this?

:shrug:

Love to be either Gendo, Kaji, Background voices, Kaworu (I got a bass voice though, so we'll see how that'll work), Keel, or Fuyutsuki.
"Free-associative internet ravings know no proprietors."-Azathoth
"Cinema's value is that it is inhuman."-chee
"I only meant to stay a while."-ELO

gatotsu911
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

•      
  •      

Postby gatotsu911 » Wed Jun 08, 2011 9:59 pm

@C.A.P.
Silly, you're too young for Gendo or Fuyutsuki. No matter how deep a voice you have or how good a VA you are, there's no way for someone under 30 to convincingly sound like someone over 50. It's just not physically possible. Of course, it's not exactly like we have a large talent pool of middle-aged men to sift through here...

I have a deep voice too, but I can shift it a few octaves higher, enough so to do Kaworu or Hyuga. (Not nearly enough for Shinji, though. For that we need either a guy with a high-pitched voice or a girl with a husky voice.)

C.A.P.
Wabbit Duelist
Wabbit Duelist

•      
  •      

Postby C.A.P. » Wed Jun 08, 2011 10:17 pm

View Original Postgatotsu911 wrote:@C.A.P.
Silly, you're too young for Gendo or Fuyutsuki. No matter how deep a voice you have or how good a VA you are, there's no way for someone under 30 to convincingly sound like someone over 50. It's just not physically possible.

...what? This is like saying we can't voice old grumpy guys because we're not 70 years plus while not having so-called experience of being one, or we can't voice ducks because it's not "physically possible" to be ducks.

Don't make me go on an amateurish rant about voice acting gatotsu. Just becuase we're a bunch of kids doing something in our spare time doesn't mean we should try being realistic as possible; that's just stupid.

gatotsu911
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

•      
  •      

Postby gatotsu911 » Wed Jun 08, 2011 10:45 pm

What? I meant that there is a tangible difference in voice between an <30>50 male. I have yet to hear a man in the former age group portray a man in the latter age group convincingly. CONVINCINGLY, not cartoonishly. It's for the same reason that you can't have a 30-year-old man convincingly voice a 10-year-old boy. Experience has nothing to do with it.

And, "amateurish"? You're really gonna go there? It doesn't take a professional to tell the difference.

C.A.P.
Wabbit Duelist
Wabbit Duelist

•      
  •      

Postby C.A.P. » Wed Jun 08, 2011 10:54 pm

View Original Postgatotsu911 wrote:What? I meant that there is a tangible difference in voice between an <30>50 male. I have yet to hear a man in the former age group portray a man in the latter age group convincingly. CONVINCINGLY, not cartoonishly. It's for the same reason that you can't have a 30-year-old man convincingly voice a 10-year-old boy. Experience has nothing to do with it.

Okay then, then riddle me this; what IS this project? Are we going to take the script of the show and pretty much dub it all ourselves? Are we going to loosen it up a bit and put in some jokes so the show isn't as serious? Are we going to throw everything out the window and do something off the wall while keeping the characters intact somehow? Are we going to form our abridged series with different rules than what everyone thinks about abridged series?

If you want us take this project seriously, like putting the characters in perceptive, then the least we can do is at least tell people what the mission is before we start the creative process (too bad we're starting that sooner rather than later).

gatotsu911
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

•      
  •      

Postby gatotsu911 » Wed Jun 08, 2011 11:10 pm

As mentioned earlier in this thread, we really don't have a specific idea of what this is going to be yet. I guess my implicit assumption, based on something I myself have wanted to do for a while, is that we'd just take a few specific scenes and redub them, "straight". I already expressed my trepidations toward doing a parody dub.

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Thu Jun 09, 2011 2:23 am

A cheesy/hammy "serious" dub would be fun. The pool of satire has been pretty exhausted...

I have a fairly deep voice for a lady, so that might make me a possible Shinji contender. Would be a change of pace from the usual "guy trying to sound like Spike Spencer". I'll have to start practicing my "earnest/psychotic pubescent boy" schtick...

Guess I should put dibs on PenPen, too. That sort of thing is right up my alley.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

Return to “Fan Works”