[TV] My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic

A subforum for discussions about Film, TV, and Videos.

Moderators: New Moderators, Board Staff

Monk Ed
Sunshine Administrator
Sunshine Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Monk Ed » Tue Feb 03, 2015 2:33 am

View Original PostTumbling Down wrote:SHED

That was disturbing.

In a way that I enjoyed (mostly), but certainly not for everyone. :sweat:
System Administrator, Thread Surgeon General, Default Complaint Receptacle
"NGE is like a perfectly improvised jazz piece. It builds on a standard and then plays off it from there, and its developments may occasionally recall what it's done before as a way of keeping the whole concatenated." -- Eva Yojimbo
"To me watching anime is not just for killing time or entertainment, it is a life style, and a healthy one too." -- symbv
"That sounds like the kind of science that makes absolutely 0 sense when you stop and think about it... I LOVE IT." -- Rosenakahara

Tumbling Down
Matarael
Matarael

•      
  •      

Postby Tumbling Down » Sun Feb 08, 2015 4:09 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CWYtzyi-LLw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oXNeDT7_q9c

TehDonutKing
Camel Dilettante
Camel Dilettante

•      
  •      

Postby TehDonutKing » Wed Apr 08, 2015 11:31 am

It is not my intention to start a debate when i say this, but the season opening is making rounds on the internet for being very political. Curious as to what you guys think about it.

StarShaper7
Arael
Arael

•      
  •      

Postby StarShaper7 » Wed Apr 08, 2015 1:47 pm

Not really anything interesting going on in that regard. It's pretty much just a one-sided argument against communism, if you want to look at it through a political lens. I liked that it kind of felt like an episode about the Mane 6 being held captive by a cult that tried to force them into converting to their way of life that supposedly removed inequality and loneliness. So it was like the village was a Krazy Kommie Kult that used a (fake) Lance of Longinus to bring about Instrumentality in the form of total conformity. I guess you could say that's an interesting thing to do in a cartoon that's watched primarily by little girls. But I'm pretty sure most of the people who now watch MLP don't exactly fit that description.

::KL7::
Sandalphon
Sandalphon

•      
  •      

Postby ::KL7:: » Wed Apr 08, 2015 8:09 pm

^ Ha! I thought of the lance of Longinus also.
SPOILER: Show
ORA ORA ORA!!!!

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

•      
  •      

Postby Chuckman » Wed Apr 08, 2015 8:58 pm

I have a feeling if I ever watched this show it wouldn't live up to the beautiful nightmare of the surreal I have envisioned it to be from observing the fandom and seeing random screencaps.

child of Lilith
Celestial Serendipity
Celestial Serendipity

•      
  •      

Postby child of Lilith » Wed Apr 08, 2015 9:55 pm

^It wouldn't.
---------

I saw it less as a warning against communism and more of a warning against sjw types. Either way it was a decent opening.
"Let the right one in. Let the old dreams die. Let the wrong ones go. They cannot do, what you want them to do."- Morrissey, Let the Right One Slip In

"Happy people can be so cruel"- Claudia, Silent Hill 3

"everlasting, true love, I am yours"- Rule of Rose

StarShaper7
Arael
Arael

•      
  •      

Postby StarShaper7 » Wed Apr 08, 2015 11:26 pm

You would be disappointed, yes.

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Wed Apr 08, 2015 11:30 pm

Without spoilers, are fans happy how "Princess Twilight" was done? (Season 3 or 4 OP.) Yeah, catching up to do....
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

StarShaper7
Arael
Arael

•      
  •      

Postby StarShaper7 » Wed Apr 08, 2015 11:43 pm

I'm mostly indifferent to it. Didn't really seem necessary to me though. But I never really cared much for Twilight to begin with.

And, yeah, the SJW angle does work. Probably even better than the communist one, given the fandom.

Defectron
Tentacle Girl
Tentacle Girl

•      
  •      

Postby Defectron » Fri Apr 10, 2015 6:46 pm

View Original PostSailor Star Dust wrote:Without spoilers, are fans happy how "Princess Twilight" was done? (Season 3 or 4 OP.) Yeah, catching up to do....

If your talking about the episode where she became a princess, no I'm not because that was a completely unnessecery and forced move. Though after that episode I think that they handeled her character very well. So in that respect I am. So depending on what you mean the answer is yes and no.

And, yeah, the SJW angle does work. Probably even better than the communist one, given the fandom.

That's right I never did get around to making that social justice warrior magical girl character...
Parasite Galaxy: An experimental webcomic

http://www.parasitegalaxy.com/ Updates Monday and Thursday. Vote for me on top webcomics

If you want to support this comic buy something from me on amazon

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Sat Apr 11, 2015 10:06 am

I saw these episode (finally!), but felt no SJW vibes within it one way or the other. That seems about as concrete of an interpretation as the one that states that Frozen sympathizes with kids with autism more than it does to sympathize with certain experiences of homosexuals who were (or still are) in the closet about their sexual orientation, as the filmmakers themselves had hinted that it was. Sometimes people experiments different levels of similar things, and when everything’s been water-down and made marketable to children, the differences between the experiences of two non-entirely-related subjects just kind of melt away and everything sort of blends together. (And in the case of Frozen, both interpretations promote tolerance and helpfulness. So no one can really complain.)

If you saw or felt that these particular episodes were a commentary that’s weary of the hard-core SJW advocates, that’s great! Whatever floats your boat. But that’s probably not what the filmmakers were trying to comment about when creating those episodes. It seems to just be a story about defending or holding to your own unique individuality, which is an argument I hear from both SJWs and non-SJWs alike. (They both just have different and at times very flawed ways of arguing and defending their viewpoints is all. I honestly can’t stand the extremists of either group.)

View Original PostSailor Star Dust wrote:Without spoilers, are fans happy how "Princess Twilight" was done? (Season 3 or 4 OP.) Yeah, catching up to do....

Princess Twilight is pretty cool. I have no complaints either way of that. Sure, her introduction as such seemed a little rushed and a trifle forced, but so did kind of everything in a season that was only 13 episodes long as opposed to the more tradition 26 episodes. (For that show, anyway.) I blame it on the shortness of Season 3 in general, and not on anything that’s unique to the particular episode in which it happened. Or rather, the overall shortcomings of Season 3 is what lead to the complaints about that particular episode. But since that’s the episode where Twilight is suddenly a princess, then that’s the only one many are gonna hear complaints about.

StarShaper7
Arael
Arael

•      
  •      

Postby StarShaper7 » Sat Apr 11, 2015 10:50 am

The main villain felt pretty SJW-y to me. Self-righteous pony forces others to adhere to her twisted version of equality in order to create a society free of ostracism and the pain that it causes. Her view of equality is "I am right, the people around me think I'm right and you're wrong for disagreeing." She does not believe in the ideology herself, but claims to because it is what appeals most to the group. She turns out to be a hypocrite who does not apply the requirements of this ideology to herself because she actually believes herself to be better than others. Her idea of utopia is where everypony adheres to her ideology, but her true aim is to elevate her status within the community.

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

•      
  •      

Postby NemZ » Sat Apr 11, 2015 10:58 am

I haven't seen it yet, but am I to understand the new pony story is basically "Harrison Bergeron" in pastels with a happier ending?
Rest In Peace ~ 1978 - 2017
"I'd consider myself a realist, alright? but in philosophical terms I'm what's called a pessimist. It means I'm bad at parties." - Rust Cohle
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize that half of 'em are stupider than that." - George Carlin
"The internet: It's like a training camp for never amounting to anything." - Oglaf
"I think internet message boards and the like are dangerous." - Anno

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Sat Apr 11, 2015 7:58 pm

View Original PostStarShaper7 wrote:The main villain felt pretty SJW-y to me. Self-righteous pony forces others to adhere to her twisted version of equality in order to create a society free of ostracism and the pain that it causes. Her view of equality is "I am right, the people around me think I'm right and you're wrong for disagreeing." She does not believe in the ideology herself, but claims to because it is what appeals most to the group. She turns out to be a hypocrite who does not apply the requirements of this ideology to herself because she actually believes herself to be better than others. Her idea of utopia is where everypony adheres to her ideology, but her true aim is to elevate her status within the community.

That’s just basic, hypocritical, internet debates right there. The fact that this hypocritical argument is applied to an entire society smells of North Korea or the Nazi regime. (Hitler’s Youth needing to be tall, have blond hair, blue eyes, and basically look as little like Hitler as humanly possible.) In that sense, this dictator vibe will always be present in these episodes. SJW jabs, on the other hand, are merely topical and completely forgettable. 5 years from now, no one will see that in this episode anymore.

Defectron
Tentacle Girl
Tentacle Girl

•      
  •      

Postby Defectron » Thu Sep 24, 2015 10:49 am

In the newest episode Fluttershy drew a Rei Ayanami pony (Also utena, Ranma, Bulma and Sailor moon ponys). So how does everyone feel about that?

So does this mean that fluttershy is canonicly an anime fan and by extent an eva fan?

http://www.parasitegalaxy.com/ Updates Monday and Thursday. Vote for me on top webcomics

Sachi
Oh Daddy!
Oh Daddy!

•      
  •      

Postby Sachi » Thu Sep 24, 2015 11:04 am

View Original PostDefectron wrote:In the newest episode Fluttershy drew a Rei Ayanami pony (Also utena, Ranma, Bulma and Sailor moon ponys). So how does everyone feel about that?

So does this mean that fluttershy is canonicly an anime fan and by extent an eva fan?

A screenshot from the episode was recently shared here as well: http://forum.evageeks.org/post/810898/Evangelion-References-and-Homages/#810898
"Chaos is merely a human construct. The world only knows its own natural law of harmony and order."
"So you are saying it's the human heart that throws the world into confusion."

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

•      
  •      

Postby NemZ » Thu Sep 24, 2015 1:45 pm

Indeed. If that doesn't confirm the earlier staff thing was an eva reference I don't know what will.

To be clear, that episode (s05e21) hasn't actually aired officially yet... iTunes made it available briefly by mistake.
"I'd consider myself a realist, alright? but in philosophical terms I'm what's called a pessimist. It means I'm bad at parties." - Rust Cohle
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize that half of 'em are stupider than that." - George Carlin
"The internet: It's like a training camp for never amounting to anything." - Oglaf

Defectron
Tentacle Girl
Tentacle Girl

•      
  •      

Postby Defectron » Sat Oct 10, 2015 9:46 pm

So it turns out after all this time the cutie mark crusaders special talent was.......cutie mark crusading....

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

•      
  •      

Postby NemZ » Sat Oct 10, 2015 10:26 pm

...and now Starlight Glimmer can take them away in the finale. :devil:

Return to “Film and Video”