[TV] My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic

A subforum for discussions about Film, TV, and Videos.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

[TV] My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Mon May 30, 2011 4:02 pm

I just saw the first two episodes today and I'm already hooked. I like it because it's funny and cute. Then again, I loved shoujo and maho shoujo as a teen (still do), so I guess for me, liking a "cute" show isn't too surprising.

It's kind of surprising to think that 4chan likes it considering guys could get their asses kicked or at least called lame in real life for liking "girly" shows (Stupid cultural standards), but I can totally see why people do like it. Even according to hearsay, people don't think much of it, but once they watch it, they enjoy it.

Fluttershy is soo moe. And it surprised me at first that Twilight Sparkle is a unicorn though, but is fitting.
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

Xard
Banned

Re: [TV] My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic

•      
  •      

Postby Xard » Mon May 30, 2011 4:05 pm

View Original PostSailor Star Dust wrote:It's kind of surprising to think that 4chan likes it considering guys could get their asses kicked or at least called lame in real life for liking "girly" shows (Stupid cultural standards), but I can totally see why people do like it. Even according to hearsay, people don't think much of it, but once they watch it, they enjoy it.

MLP is /co/'s K-ON, really :lol:

BobBQ
Dyskolos
Dyskolos

•      
  •      

Postby BobBQ » Mon May 30, 2011 4:14 pm

The ponies shall not pass!

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Mon May 30, 2011 4:16 pm

I'm at the end of Episode 03, and that Benny Hill parody... :lol: Brilliant! (I like how Twilight didn't eat anything for the whole episode.)
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

Someone
Sandalphon
Sandalphon

•      
  •      

Postby Someone » Tue May 31, 2011 12:27 am

:ehh: Eh, what?

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

•      
  •      

Postby NemZ » Tue May 31, 2011 2:03 am

Oh man, the forum plague has spread here too? It's only a matter of time now before everyone has eva pony avatars. :chair:
Rest In Peace ~ 1978 - 2017
"I'd consider myself a realist, alright? but in philosophical terms I'm what's called a pessimist. It means I'm bad at parties." - Rust Cohle
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize that half of 'em are stupider than that." - George Carlin
"The internet: It's like a training camp for never amounting to anything." - Oglaf
"I think internet message boards and the like are dangerous." - Anno

Xard
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Xard » Tue May 31, 2011 2:33 am

View Original PostNemZ wrote:Oh man, the forum plague has spread here too? It's only a matter of time now before everyone has eva pony avatars. :chair:

Don't worry, between greenhair and bestiality my choice is always clear

having said that, it's really many people who love this show. /a/ is full of them too so I guess there's something to it.

Not that I'm going to watch it. Watching moeshit like K-ON is already bad enough but ponies is one step too far :P

ZapX
Guided by the New Era
Guided by the New Era

•      
  •      

Postby ZapX » Tue May 31, 2011 4:03 am

It's a good show. I'm not as obsessive as /co/ about it, but I find myself laughing in just about every episode. I'd say it's up there with Adventure Time and Regular Show as the best western cartoons on TV. Great acting, funny characters, pretty much everything you want in a good cartoon. Lauren Faust was in charge of the first season too, so you know it's quality.
ʕ•ᴥ•ʔ"Stop watching anime. it makes you think all girls are incredibly hot and shy, and there are 10 that all want your boner which just isn't true." -Brik-aniki

"I CAN'T HELP IT THAT I WANT TO EAT MY OWN VULVA AND SHARE IT WITH A LOVED ONE!"-Reichu

"I have a fetish for naked women with stigmata playing ping pong in the mud. Is there a name for that?" -Kaiser O-Ornette-dono-sama

“Don’t do that; that was probably hooker money.” -SSD on me holding money with my mouth

MugwumpHasNoLiver
Erotic Humiliation
Erotic Humiliation

•      
  •      

Postby MugwumpHasNoLiver » Tue May 31, 2011 4:07 am

View Original PostXard wrote:Watching moeshit like K-ON is already bad enough but ponies is one step too far :P

I'll give you a month. There's still so much farther you can fall.
"Now, from Nature we obtain abundant information about ourselves, and precious little about others. About the woman you clasp in your arms, can you say with certainty that she does not feign pleasure? About the woman you mistreat, are you quite sure that from abuse she does not derive some obscure and lascivious satisfaction? Let us confine ourselves to simple evidence: through thoughtfulness, gentleness, concern for the feelings of others we saddle our own pleasure with restrictions, and make this sacrifice to obtain a doubtful result." -The Divine Marquis

"I agree Hans, but we have talked about those anal fisting analogies." -Werner Herzog

Xard
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Xard » Tue May 31, 2011 7:05 am

View Original PostMugwumpHasNoLiver wrote:I'll give you a month. There's still so much farther you can fall.
No, I don't see this happening. For one the show doesn't air here and i don't know where one would DL it (no i'm not asking for links here). Secondly with moe anime I can rationalize I only watch it for cute moe girls instead of girly stuff going on in show per se. With ponies I don't have this psychological defence barrier. :P Besides, application of rule 34 to stubby horses is not very desirable. These powerful factors stop me from embracing My Little Ponies.

Tankred
Anime Ja Nai
Anime Ja Nai

•      
  •      

Postby Tankred » Tue May 31, 2011 8:04 am

You shall not pass! :fighter:

Defectron
Tentacle Girl
Tentacle Girl

•      
  •      

Postby Defectron » Tue May 31, 2011 8:41 am

I'd say it's up there with Adventure Time and Regular Show

Holy shit , I gotta check this out.

Secondly with moe anime I can rationalize I only watch it for cute moe girls instead of girly stuff going on in show per se. With ponies I don't have this psychological defence barrier. :P Besides, application of rule 34 to stubby horses is not very desirable. These powerful factors stop me from embracing My Little Ponies.

Real men aren't afraid to watch shows about ponies! Then again I'm someone who wants to be a girl with tentacles so maybe my opinion isn't the best one to use here.

That being said I think the next time Xard gets drunk he's going to wind up in bed with a stubby looking pony thing.
Parasite Galaxy: An experimental webcomic

http://www.parasitegalaxy.com/ Updates Monday and Thursday. Vote for me on top webcomics

If you want to support this comic buy something from me on amazon

Tankred
Anime Ja Nai
Anime Ja Nai

•      
  •      

Postby Tankred » Tue May 31, 2011 8:52 am

View Original PostDefectron wrote:Holy shit , I gotta check this out.

And that's how it starts...

Oz
Finland Miracle
Finland Miracle

•      
  •      

Postby Oz » Tue May 31, 2011 9:01 am

View Original PostDefectron wrote:That being said I think the next time Xard gets drunk he's going to wind up in bed with a stubby looking pony thing.

Nah. That post alone guarantees that someone will eventually send him the dakimakura of the show's characters - or something like that.
"I'd really like to have as much money as you have, Oz" - robersora
"No you wouldn't. Oz's secret is he goes without food to buy that stuff. He hasn't eaten in years." - Brikhaus

"Often I get the feeling that deep down, your little girl is struggling with your embrace of filmfaggotry and your loldeep fixations, and the conflict that arises from such a contradiction is embodied pretty well in Kureha's character. But obviously it's not any sort of internal conflict that makes the analogy work. It's the pigtails." - Merridian
"Oh, Oz, I fear I'm losing my filmfag to the depths of Japanese pop. If only there were more films with Japanese girls in glow-in-the-dark costumes you'd be the David Bordwell of that genre." - Jimbo
"Oz, I think we need to stage an intervention and force you to watch some movies that aren't made in Japan." - Trajan

toe mash
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

•      
  •      

Postby toe mash » Tue May 31, 2011 9:29 am

View Original PostOz wrote:Nah. That post alone guarantees that someone will eventually send him the dakimakura of the show's characters - or something like that.

It should arrive in a day or two, in fact.

Defectron
Tentacle Girl
Tentacle Girl

•      
  •      

Postby Defectron » Tue May 31, 2011 9:37 am

Recently I had an idea after watching the anime Genocyber. I want to make a story about an ultraviolent pony with psychic powers who goes on a rampage. This will probably be a story in the second tales trilogy.
Parasite Galaxy: An experimental webcomic

http://www.parasitegalaxy.com/ Updates Monday and Thursday. Vote for me on top webcomics

If you want to support this comic buy something from me on amazon

Merridian
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Merridian » Tue May 31, 2011 9:46 am

View Original PostDefectron wrote:Recently I had an idea after watching the anime Genocyber. I want to make a story about an ultraviolent pony with psychic powers who goes on a rampage. This will probably be a story in the second tales trilogy.
That sounds really interesting, but I think it needs more pony girls doing pony things. I'd also suggest replacing the ultraviolence with rainbows and the psychic powers with the power of friendship. It would be nice if this rampaging included sparkles, as well.

Someone
Sandalphon
Sandalphon

•      
  •      

Postby Someone » Tue May 31, 2011 9:57 am

View Original PostTankred wrote:And that's how it starts...

They invaded this forum too huh...
WE MUST MAKE A STAND!
:fighter: :fighter:

C.A.P.
Wabbit Duelist
Wabbit Duelist

•      
  •      

Postby C.A.P. » Tue May 31, 2011 10:10 am

I'm still scratching my head on how a bunch of ponies doing funny things suddenly becomes the highlight of western animation since Felix the Cat did wacky things.

...I think I answered my own question again.
"Free-associative internet ravings know no proprietors."-Azathoth
"Cinema's value is that it is inhuman."-chee
"I only meant to stay a while."-ELO

Someone
Sandalphon
Sandalphon

•      
  •      

Postby Someone » Tue May 31, 2011 11:22 am

I loved Felix too, however back then i was 7 years old.

Return to “Film and Video”