The Macross Legacy Thread (Incl. +/DYRL/Zero/Seven/Frontier/Δ)

Non-Eva Anime and Manga discussion

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Final Messenger
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby Final Messenger » Wed Mar 26, 2014 10:09 am

yooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

I'm pretty hype
Avatar:super high school level ???? Kyouko Kirigiri
"Before Pimptimus turned the Jupitris into his brothel it was giant helium carrier"- Fireball
"to solve a mystery sometimes you have to take risks. Isn't that right?"- Kyouko Kirigiri
more people should read Dangan Ronpa

Xard
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Xard » Wed Mar 26, 2014 11:36 am

Fucking A and 2 years earlier than I expected. I guess massive success of Frontier finally broke the "new Macross anime only on anniversaries" rule. (FB7 didn't really make me expect this because it was just comp. film marketing for Macross 7 BD boxsets)

Short wishlist:

- Kawamori should act as usual Chief Director/Director because every time he lets the control slip results range from unflattering rehash (II) to likeable but horribly directed nonsense (7, FB7). I'm satisfied with Kawamori having a bit less hands of approach in case we get omnibus format series (see later comments).

- Series Composition should be preferrably written by some other big name in the industry (Nobumoto on Plus, Yoshino on Frontier vs. Kawamori himself on Zero), Kawamori can get the Story Composition credit like in Frontier. JUST DON'T LET MARI OKADA IN THE TEAM.

- Music by Yoko Kanno. Quality of Macross anime seems to be generaly in parallel with quality of music. Frontier and Plus speak for themselves here, really. Also the overhwelmingly best Fire Bomber song was penned by Kanno. If not Kanno (she might be busy with Space Dandy + summer Watanabe) I'm open to rehash of band format a la Fire Bomber

- Satelight pumping in as much money as they did with Macross Frontier. Well, this will happen in any case.

- Satelight letting the French Dudes handle a lot of the background art and design like in Basquash, Aquarion Evol and AKB0048. Their stuff is always helluva great.

- Kawamori actually planning the story ahead meticulously and approaching the project with fitting seriousness. When he does this we get stuff like DYRL, Plus, Frontier and AKB0048. When he decides to use the series as launching pad for his bazillion crazy ideas and fooling around we get Aquarion. No thanks for that.

This all said I'm actually hoping Kawamori ends up creating entirely new kind of Macross series he's been hinting at in interviews ever since Frontier films. While there were number of original elements Macross Frontier in general and Sayonara no Tsubasa in particular also acted pretty much as grand mergers of all things Macross that came before and in Sayonara no Tsubasa I think they reached apex and culmination point of the whole "Macross aesthetic" that was initially defined by SDF Macross ep 27 Love Drifts Away and DYRL.

Frankly, I don't see how they could possibly go any further with this aesthetic and storytelling style than Sayonara no Tsubasa. It's the glorious peak. While this is incestuous franchise I love Macross for how much the entries differ from each other nevertheless and I want no rehash of what has been done.

So why not stir up the aesthetic a bit by focusing on mecha, love triangle and music relatively separately, digging deeper into each?

Good thing is Kawamori is on the same page with me!

Sony Entertainment Network: What are your thoughts regarding Macross’ 30th anniversary?

Shōji Kawamori: Macross is something that I have been working on since I was a student. 30 years has passed since the beginning, which counts for more than half of my life. I am really happy that Macross has been enjoyed not only by Japanese fans but also many fans overseas. Macross consists of three main components: music, songs against the wars of transforming robots and triangle relationships. Macross’ success today would never have been achieved without my staffs’ hard work and other supporters.

SEN: What’s next for the Macross universe?

SJ: I have several ideas for the next Macross project, which won’t be limited to TV and movies. For example, last year, we did some musical performances in Japan and would like to explore different types of media. I’m also considering some different series that are focused mainly on mecha features, music, or a love triangle.

SEN: What originally inspired you to become a mecha designer as well as an anime creator?

SJ: I first became interested in mecha design and animation through discovery of NASA’s space programs, Apollo programs, and vehicles like spaceships, airplanes, cars, and the Thunderbird. In addition, my painter friends at my middle school inspired me as well.

SEN: What did you enjoy the most about working with Hajime Katoki-san in Stardust Memory?

SJ: Well, as for Katoki-san his work consists of creating mechanical parts, while I enjoy working on gimmicks and transforming parts. I’ve known Katoki-san since he became a professional and every time we work together I enjoy it.

SEN: Which of your next major projects are you most excited about?

SJ: I just finished working for a TV series called AKB 0048 about 3 months ago. The next project I’m working on is one of the “Fool” projects titled “Nobunaga The Fool”, which will debut as a stage performance. In “Nobunaga the Fool”, Japanese and Western historical military commanders and warriors such as Jeanne d’Arc battle against each other in a futuristic world.

Kawamori has said similar things in other recent interviews too so I'd say chances of new Macross being Omnibus Macross (in a sense) are rather high.

If this is so it would be great if Kawamori would use his industry connections and slightly vary the staff from part to part. Different screenwriters and directors/assistant directors for each whereas Kawamori will oversee the whole project as Chief Director and Original Creator.

I think this is idea with great potential.
Last edited by Xard on Wed Mar 26, 2014 11:41 am, edited 2 times in total.

soul.assassin
Geezer of All Trades
Geezer of All Trades

•      
  •      

Postby soul.assassin » Wed Mar 26, 2014 11:36 am

C.A.P.
Wabbit Duelist
Wabbit Duelist

•      
  •      

Postby C.A.P. » Wed Mar 26, 2014 5:25 pm

[Insert Kermit flail here]
"Free-associative internet ravings know no proprietors."-Azathoth
"Cinema's value is that it is inhuman."-chee
"I only meant to stay a while."-ELO

Blue Monday
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Blue Monday » Wed Mar 26, 2014 6:10 pm

Really cool stuff - it's not often anime news makes me raise an eyebrow...

Also, I guess this is the ideal place to ask; is there, or is there going to be, a more affordable release of the Macross Plus Blu-ray?

:uhh:
"Eva(Geeks) is a story that repeats."
Warren Peace, #643919

caragnafog dog
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby caragnafog dog » Wed Mar 26, 2014 6:16 pm

View Original PostBlue Monday wrote:Really cool stuff - it's not often anime news makes me raise an eyebrow...

Also, I guess this is the ideal place to ask; is there, or is there going to be, a more affordable release of the Macross Plus Blu-ray?

Does Australia have the same robotech licensing problem North America has? (if you're asking about a more affordable Japanese release I have no idea)
On 11/10/14, at 8:43 PM, Merrimerri wrote:
fhycjubg beat tge sgut iyt if gun
On 6/2/15, at 10:14 PM, Delispin wrote:
> Wow. I've disgusted even myself.

https://qnuw.wordpress.com/ The hottest new meme, revived in blog form. qnuw/qnuw. qnuw/qnuw. qnuw/qnuw.

Xard
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Xard » Wed Mar 26, 2014 6:25 pm

View Original PostBlue Monday wrote:Also, I guess this is the ideal place to ask; is there, or is there going to be, a more affordable release of the Macross Plus Blu-ray?

Chances of that are extremely low.

As for the BD box it has dubs for OVA (though last ep uses weird, not the "usual" one for whatever reasons) and subs for the film made in early 90s that are sorta awkward at places.

Other than that it's great release.

With upcoming Macross Frontier film boxset we finally get chance to see new, official subs for Macross release in well over a decade. If the boxset does well it might increase chances of other entries in the franchise getting subbed release within Japan though this has no bearing on the international releases issue.

EvangelionFan
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby EvangelionFan » Wed Mar 26, 2014 8:13 pm

View Original Postcaragnafog dog wrote:Does Australia have the same robotech licensing problem North America has? (if you're asking about a more affordable Japanese release I have no idea)

Although the only licensed Macross title in Australia (and presumably New Zealand) is the Macross Plus OVA (which, by the way, was recently re-printed...), I'm not certain if the problem is specifically to do with the Robotech licensing issue also having effect in AU/NZ, but moreover that Madman Entertainment's business model is centered licensing subbed+dubbed North American releases for Australian/NZ release - and as there aren't any other North American releases of other Macross series, there's nothing for Madman Entertainment.
Furthermore, although it is not clear if Madman Entertainment and other Australian/NZ distributors are affected by the Robotech license issue, it is nonetheless plain that they are either unwilling or unable to to license sub-only editions (as they did with, for instance, Star Driver). Or could it be - and this is more likely - that the Macross Plus OVA is a special case / some clause in licensing allowed them (and also Manga UK) to license it and keep it in print. Those are my guesses, anyway, it is a good question for someone to pose at a Madman Industry Panel sometime (though there might be an answer to this somewhere on the MadBoards...)

View Original PostBlue Monday wrote:Also, I guess this is the ideal place to ask; is there, or is there going to be, a more affordable release of the Macross Plus Blu-ray?

HAHAHAHAHA

*ahem*

As Fazmotron and I learnt at a Madman panel a few years back, not only do Blu-Ray sets cost four times as much for Madman to make than DVDs, said Blu-Ray sets sell about one quarter of the usual DVD sets - how these numbers affect Hanabee and Siren Visual releases is not clear, but it is fair to assume that the numbers are similar. Add to this the aforementioned licensing grey area, the fact that Japanese licensors are probably reluctant to allow foreign licensed editions due to their ongoing reverse importation concern, the fact that the potential Australian consumer base for an aged Macross title is hard to gauge plus the possibility that the existing Macross Plus OVA DVD set may not have sold enough in recent times to justify a commitment to a Blu-Ray release, and you have an overwhelming not anytime soon.
Voluntary Illusion.

Blue Monday
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Blue Monday » Wed Mar 26, 2014 10:44 pm

View Original PostXard wrote:Other than that it's great release.

No doubt. Just find it hard to pull the trigger with that price when a lot my spending money is all caught up in other interests as well.

View Original PostEvangelionFan wrote:HAHAHAHAHA

SPOILER: Show

I have the Macross Plus Complete Colleciton from Madman but an upgrade to BD would be preferable.
"Eva(Geeks) is a story that repeats."
Warren Peace, #643919

AR-99
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

•      
  •      

Postby AR-99 » Thu Mar 27, 2014 3:41 pm

Hope is reborn again.

Dangit, finally done with 7, leaving Zero and Frontier left, which I would start after Easter, and since all the winter titles are wrapping up it and depending on my spring schedule, leaving the lengthy series still in play.

7 was Mikimoto's last involvement with chara design and I would welcome him back in a heartbeat.

Mecha designs...let the master worry about taking the mecha further.
Go with God, and Fight Like the Devil 1356
Curator of: Evangelion Virtual MuseumCold SteelMFC
Sanity is no option for a collector. - Tolwyn • I just love eva so much that I figured it's worth investing in. - Paranoid

C.A.P.
Wabbit Duelist
Wabbit Duelist

•      
  •      

Postby C.A.P. » Sun Apr 06, 2014 1:28 am

Is it bad that the more I think about it, the more I think anything Macross represents everything that is beautiful about anime?

Is it also bad I'm loving Macross 7, 5 episodes in?

Xard
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Xard » Sun Apr 06, 2014 7:41 am

View Original PostAR-99 wrote:Hope is reborn again.

Dangit, finally done with 7, leaving Zero and Frontier left, which I would start after Easter, and since all the winter titles are wrapping up it and depending on my spring schedule, leaving the lengthy series still in play.

7 was Mikimoto's last involvement with chara design and I would welcome him back in a heartbeat.

Mecha designs...let the master worry about taking the mecha further.

So, how did you like 7? It is the most controversial entry in the franchise after all. I had pretty bad initial response to it but I've mellowed considerably over the years to a point I can say I like Macross 7 too, even with its warts and all.

View Original PostC.A.P. wrote:Is it bad that the more I think about it, the more I think anything Macross represents everything that is beautiful about anime?

Well I sure hope not because that's why it is my favourite franchise. Macross delivers all the reasons why I bother spending time with this degenerate subculture in different mixes but the ingredients are always there. It's the most holistically satisfying and pinpoint delivering animu there is for me, even if some other titles deliver harder in some specific vector.

View Original PostC.A.P. wrote:Is it also bad I'm loving Macross 7, 5 episodes in?

Nope, just sort of unusual and unexpected. If you can dig Basara's character from the getgo, be not bothered by awful mecha combat and not mind endless stock footage and playing planet dance over and over again over said footage for dozen eps straight it's entirely possible to enjoy M7 from the start, even before it "gets good" in eyes of most people who enjoy it.

AR-99
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

•      
  •      

Postby AR-99 » Mon Apr 07, 2014 2:27 pm

At first I was wondering why I was so hyped up about 7 when it came out in '95. I found the start slow and it took getting used to Basara's character. However about ~20 eps or so I started to appreciate. Personalitywise I also identify more with Gamlin so I supported him x Mylene at first but like Myria later on, I came around to Mylene x Basara. Dynamite 7 I found to be icing on the cake honestly, but still,
unresolved love triangle is pretty lol.
Sanity is no option for a collector. - Tolwyn • I just love eva so much that I figured it's worth investing in. - Paranoid

Ray
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby Ray » Mon Apr 21, 2014 3:22 pm

The soundtrack for Macross Plus is beautiful!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UsX2YfwxZts

C.A.P.
Wabbit Duelist
Wabbit Duelist

•      
  •      

Postby C.A.P. » Mon Apr 21, 2014 8:31 pm

I can't decide what's the greatest song, nor musical scene, in Sayonara no Tsubasa.

They're something right out of a Golden Age Disney, or even a Muppet, film. And I don't say something like that lightly.

soul.assassin
Geezer of All Trades
Geezer of All Trades

•      
  •      

Postby soul.assassin » Mon Apr 21, 2014 9:47 pm

I can't decide what's the greatest song, nor musical scene, in Sayonara no Tsubasa.

All of it.

Xard
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Xard » Wed Apr 30, 2014 1:28 pm

View Original PostAR-99 wrote:Personalitywise I also identify more with Gamlin so I supported him x Mylene at first but like Myria later on, I came around to Mylene x Basara.

wat

Why? The two don't have chemistry on screen at all and the series is very explicit about Basara not being interested iner. It's Gamlin/Mylene who get plenty of development in 7 too, even if

rug is pulled over any resolution in the very end because of executive meddling or something

View Original PostRay wrote:The soundtrack for Macross Plus is beautiful!

Yes it is exquisite. All songs are great and there's a lot good BGM in it too. Voices is obvious favourite but I like Pulse and Torch Song almost as much.

View Original PostC.A.P. wrote:I can't decide what's the greatest song, nor musical scene, in Sayonara no Tsubasa.

They're something right out of a Golden Age Disney, or even a Muppet, film. And I don't say something like that lightly.

The whole final fight is pretty easy pick IMO whether you count it from Houkago to Sayonara or from Medley to Sayonara or just Sayonara. It's 21st Century heir of DYRL climax and worthy one at that. After that OPEN RANKA is only legit answer but I personally speaking love Seikan Hikou @ Alcatraz the most. Animation quality in that is just phenomenal, some of the best in the whole film and rest is great too, of course.

As for favourite song my pick is Hoshikirahoshikirahoshikirahoshikirahoshikirahoshikirahoshikira which might be my favourite Macross song ever, really. It's that or Angel Voice.

So, some "news" that are not really news for those who follow the franchise more closely...

First of all there's this fantastic CM for some shitty Macross Mobile Card game with glorious 2D valkyries. Check it out FIRE!

Then May'n is coming to Murrica. Go listen to her song guys. MOTTEKKEE~

Speaking of songs, this is probably the most interesting and immediate news for us gaijin fans:

Because Macross Frontier's music continues to be license to print money about month ago Japan released yet another album - Superdimensional Duet Collection Nyan Kora. Which basically meant they scraped together all recent in-franchise Macross song covers from Drama CDs and the like and added couple of newly recorded songs and put the cash grab out. I still recommend at least dl'ing it though because there's (literally) couple of legit great tracks:

1. REMEMBER 16 <Macross 7>
Basara x Ranka
2. Koi no Banana Moon <Macross 2>
Luca x Nanase
3. Runner(big Klan ver.) <Macross TV>
4. Uchuu Fuufu-kan <Macross F>
Capt. Wilder x Monika
5. 0-G Love <Macross TV>
Grace x Leon
6. Totsugeki Love Heart<Macross 7>
Ozuma x Cathy
7. Shao Pai Lon <Macross TV>
Alto x Brera
8. Aimo <Macross F>
Mao x Sheryl
【Bonus Tracks】
9. Lion <Macross F>
Big Klan x Klan Klan
10. Friends~Jikuu wo koete~ (15th Anniversary single)
Minmei x Mylene

Most of these tracks are fun listen (Wilder x Monica take on Uchuu Kyodai no Fune) and the new Klan/Michael Runner cover is much better than the older one but it's really worth it for two things. Yuuka Nanri/May'n sung version of Aimo and GODDAMN REMEMBER 16 BY RANKA AND BASARA UUUOOOOOOO!

I never thought this would actually happen ;___;

In case you don't feel like using money on pretty lazy cash grab release you can find the torrent from usual places. It's worth a spin and I really genuinely dig that Remember 16 duet. It's one of my favourite Fire Bomber songs to begin with.

Speaking of CDs and milking Frontier's music for money, I have no idea where you can get this but apparently they put collection CD out based on popular songs in Pachinko parlors:

I think it's sorta weird this is the one and only CD release ever that mixes songs from TV series and films. One would think they would've released some sort of "Ultimate Collection" around the time Sayonara no Tsubasa came out on BD/DVD but I guess not...

Song list reads as follows:

1. Triangler - Maaya Sakamoto
2. Lion - Ranka & Sheryl
3. Ai Oboeteimasuka? Bless the little queen version - Ranka
4. Universal Bunny - Sheryl
5. Gira Gira Summer - Sheryl
6. Obelisk - Sheryl
7. Niji-iro Kuma Kuma - Ranka
8. Koi wa Dogfight FIRST LIVE in Atlantis Dome - ranka
9. Sayonara no Tsubasa - Ranka & Sheryl
10. d shudista b - Ranka & Sheryl

Great songs but the selection is more than a bit baffling. Gira Gira Sama and AiObo cover over much better known stuff like Seikan Hikou and Diamond Crevasse? Really? I have no idea what the criterions for this CD were, perhaps Pachinko fans got to vote their favourite earworms or something. :lol:

Speaking of Pachinko, Macross Frontier pachinko was huge hit so I guess it was inevitable there would be Macross Frontier Pachinko 2

What's up with Ranka getting as a rule the more exposive getup since the films? :uhh: I'm not complaining but I find the inversion in dress code quite inexplicable

Not that this concerns us who dwell outside Japan... Pachinko may not be that big loss but this sure makes me wish I was in Japan this spring:

Macross The Museum (exhibition in Ishinori Manga Museum in Ishiomaki) will hold a special outdoor screening of Macross: Do You Remember Love on May 4th.

How fucking awesome is that? It's free too AFAIK. Gahh!

Macross The First returns from break!

Upcoming YF-30 kit looks fucking awesome:

This mech is so fucking cool. It's such a shame it's only appereance in the franchise so far is Macross 30 game...

Then there's this really bizarre news item from last month...

The magazine CD & DL Data has published "the first in history" exclusive interview with Sheryl Nome and Ranka Lee about their music etc.

No I'm not joking. Like, what? I know two gals have long since surpassed even Valkyrie model kits as de facto Macross Money Machines but this is still quite a stunner. Man, I really want to read this shit but on the other hand I don't exactly order a damn music mag from Japan just for this...

Last but not least 29th was Ranka's birthday which was of course accompanied by obligatory fan events and merc. Like this giant Happy Birthday card fans could write on:

some loot from pixiv 4/29  SPOILER: Show

Ranka rabu stronk and well

So yeah. Cool screening I can't get to, Frontier idols keep on printing money, Macross The First continues, check out the silly cover album!

soul.assassin
Geezer of All Trades
Geezer of All Trades

•      
  •      

Postby soul.assassin » Wed Apr 30, 2014 9:13 pm

I think it's sorta weird this is the one and only CD release ever that mixes songs from TV series and films. One would think they would've released some sort of "Ultimate Collection" around the time Sayonara no Tsubasa came out on BD/DVD but I guess not...

As it's an exclusive to pachinko joints under the Sankyo umbrella, this isn't new.

AR-99
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

•      
  •      

Postby AR-99 » Fri May 02, 2014 10:41 pm

View Original PostXard wrote:Why? The two don't have chemistry on screen at all and the series is very explicit about Basara not being interested iner. It's Gamlin/Mylene who get plenty of development in 7 too

Yah true. It has to do with my coming around to Basara over the course of the series.

View Original PostXard wrote:Then May'n is coming to Murrica

Tickets*: Advance $45 / Door $50 / VIP** $100
** The VIP ticket includes an exclusive pass to MEET & GREET with May’n after the show (Quantities are limited)

Haven't even seen Frontier yet and ain't paying none of that. The J-Pop Festival is free although depending on who the guest is you may have to buy something to get an autograph. Last year all the ones I got were the free ones. Katsuya Terada's involved $$ so I didn't bother, although I developed an appreciation for him after the fact, so :shrug:

Lavinius
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby Lavinius » Thu May 22, 2014 10:57 pm

Last edited by Lavinius on Tue Mar 31, 2015 9:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Anime and Manga”