lol Toyota. Also Vocaloids

Yeah. You read right. This is for everything that doesn't have anything to do with Eva.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

symbv
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby symbv » Sun Jun 12, 2011 10:36 pm

Everything looks so fine until that *snore*

What must they mess things up at every possible way? Is it that hard to adapt Miku to the west? That snore would never happen in a Japan CM.
I never thought I would come back to Evangelion after EoE,
But I discovered Re-Take (or it found me?) and
now here I am.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Asuka FAN FOREVER
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Obstermaxmaster
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby Obstermaxmaster » Sun Jun 12, 2011 11:26 pm

:argh: Curse you Toyota!!! Miku sleeps like an angel, not like a fat man!
Also,
Miku flash mob
Interesting to see what a car commerical can do to people.
I WISH DAYLIGHT SAVINGS NEVER HAPPENED SO WE CAN WATCH MORE KARE KANO ~ C.A.P. ON SKYPE

child of Lilith
Celestial Serendipity
Celestial Serendipity

•      
  •      

Postby child of Lilith » Sun Jun 12, 2011 11:53 pm

I don't know, personally I found the whole "Miku-chaaaaaan!" thing to be a lot worse.
"Let the right one in. Let the old dreams die. Let the wrong ones go. They cannot do, what you want them to do."- Morrissey, Let the Right One Slip In

"Happy people can be so cruel"- Claudia, Silent Hill 3

"everlasting, true love, I am yours"- Rule of Rose

Monk Ed
Sunshine Administrator
Sunshine Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Monk Ed » Mon Jun 13, 2011 12:18 am

View Original PostDefectron wrote:A scary screaming hatsune miku sounds like an awesome idea for a horror villain.

Imagine, Xards in the shower minding his own business, an unseen presence approaches the bathroom door, Xard still doesn't suspect anything, the door opens but he doesn't notice it. Then suddenly Hatsune Miku pulls back the curtain and she just screams at him, Xard is so terrified he empties anything in his body that can be emptied. She doesn't need a knife, because her scream is potent enough to kill, the last thing we see are xards uhhh... emptied fluids going down the drain as the screen fades to back.

THE END

:hitthetable: I honestly loled out loud in embarrassing fashion at the bolded part.
System Administrator
"NGE is like a perfectly improvised jazz piece. It builds on a standard and then plays off it from there, and its developments may occasionally recall what it's done before as a way of keeping the whole concatenated." -- Eva Yojimbo
"To me watching anime is not just for killing time or entertainment, it is a life style, and a healthy one too." -- symbv
"That sounds like the kind of science that makes absolutely 0 sense when you stop and think about it... I LOVE IT." -- Rosenakahara

Merridian
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Merridian » Mon Jun 13, 2011 12:31 am

View Original Postchild of Lilith wrote:I don't know, personally I found the whole "Miku-chaaaaaan!" thing to be a lot worse.
Yeah, that was really bad too. I have to wonder if the guys on the ground level that make these things actually enjoy their jobs at times like this. It's almost as if the Toyota marketing department heads are taking a bad joke on their employees a little too far.

but then... that snore

It kinda damages Miku's whole image. What's the point of using her for marketing fodder if you're going to pollute it with bad humor?

Monk Ed
Sunshine Administrator
Sunshine Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Monk Ed » Mon Jun 13, 2011 12:38 am

I just saw the concert video. First of all: Now the scream makes sense. Or at least it does at the end of that song, but it still takes one by surprise in that commercial.

Second of all: Wow! That is some tech. I've never seen anything that looked so completely like an anime character come to life. I was positively mesmerized. How is that hologram made? The crowd being so into it (what with moving their glowsticks with the music) was also a huge part of it.

If this is the future... I like it. It seems healthier to me that if you're going to have an idol, they're better off being a completely fictional entity; that way the fans at least know that the person they're idolizing doesn't actually exist (whereas people forget that a live performer's stage persona is not who they really are), and digital beings don't suffer the various mental maladies that tend to afflict such objects of obsession.
System Administrator
"NGE is like a perfectly improvised jazz piece. It builds on a standard and then plays off it from there, and its developments may occasionally recall what it's done before as a way of keeping the whole concatenated." -- Eva Yojimbo
"To me watching anime is not just for killing time or entertainment, it is a life style, and a healthy one too." -- symbv
"That sounds like the kind of science that makes absolutely 0 sense when you stop and think about it... I LOVE IT." -- Rosenakahara

symbv
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby symbv » Mon Jun 13, 2011 12:53 am

^ The concert is absolutely mesmerizing. It totally undo my earlier skepticism about vocaloid becoming a real idol. I really wish I could be there witnessing the onset of a new era in digital entertainment. It is illuminating to see how human could be cheering with such passion for a digital creation.

There is definitely an advantage of having a digital idol -- no more "scandal" caused by the idol smoking pot, hitting on some man, caught drunk driving, or simply behaving out of her persona on stage.

View Original PostObstermaxmaster wrote:Also,
Miku flash mob
Interesting to see what a car commerical can do to people.

I would be overjoyed if the flash mob dancing was really done by fans of Miku but most probably those were hired by Toyota's marketing department to do such stunt in public. Good to see it happen in US but I am not sure how much it said about Miku's popularity there....
I never thought I would come back to Evangelion after EoE,
But I discovered Re-Take (or it found me?) and
now here I am.
Asuka FAN FOREVER

child of Lilith
Celestial Serendipity
Celestial Serendipity

•      
  •      

Postby child of Lilith » Mon Jun 13, 2011 1:42 am

View Original PostMerridian wrote:Yeah, that was really bad too. I have to wonder if the guys on the ground level that make these things actually enjoy their jobs at times like this. It's almost as if the Toyota marketing department heads are taking a bad joke on their employees a little too far.
I get the feeling after watching these commercials that they're really not into it. They probably started this with the idea that it would fail, so they just decided to half-ass it all the way. It would certainly explain all the missteps they've made so far.

but then... that snore

It kinda damages Miku's whole image. What's the point of using her for marketing fodder if you're going to pollute it with bad humor?
Probably so they could say they at least tried before moving on to something else they're more familiar with.
"Let the right one in. Let the old dreams die. Let the wrong ones go. They cannot do, what you want them to do."- Morrissey, Let the Right One Slip In

"Happy people can be so cruel"- Claudia, Silent Hill 3

"everlasting, true love, I am yours"- Rule of Rose

Xard
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Xard » Mon Jun 13, 2011 4:11 am

Am I only one who laughed at the snore instead of facepalming? It was so hysterically out of place :rofl:

View Original PostMonk Ed wrote:Second of all: Wow! That is some tech. I've never seen anything that looked so completely like an anime character come to life. I was positively mesmerized. How is that hologram made? The crowd being so into it (what with moving their glowsticks with the music) was also a huge part of it.

If you look at it closely I think the "hologram" is basically a transparent screen that is moved around.

Monk Ed
Sunshine Administrator
Sunshine Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Monk Ed » Mon Jun 13, 2011 4:50 am

View Original PostXard wrote:Am I only one who laughed at the snore instead of facepalming? It was so hysterically out of place :rofl:

I was expecting something terrible because of the comments in here... and instead I found it funny!

If you look at it closely I think the "hologram" is basically a transparent screen that is moved around.

True sci-fi-style holographic technology will come some day. Some day! :fistshake:
System Administrator

Xard
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Xard » Mon Jun 13, 2011 4:51 am

View Original PostMonk Ed wrote:True sci-fi-style holographic technology will come some day. Some day! :fistshake:

and while we wait we might as well rewatch Macross Plus again and again :lol:

Shogo-Kun
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby Shogo-Kun » Mon Jun 13, 2011 7:06 am

Haha! That was awesome! Hope they do more of these!
NGE was a damned good anime
EoE was an anime masterpiece
And Rebuild is nothing short of epic
Long live the EVAs!!

AVATAR Oreo Nakamura, Light and Dark

InstrumentalityOne
Strawberries & Peaches
Strawberries & Peaches

•      
  •      

Postby InstrumentalityOne » Mon Jun 13, 2011 7:45 am

When you do a "flash mob" video, you DO NOT directly upload it to the Toyota youtube channel

Tankred
Anime Ja Nai
Anime Ja Nai

•      
  •      

Postby Tankred » Mon Jun 13, 2011 1:03 pm

While you guys submit to your pony overlords and holographic idols, I'll be preparing for impending the apocalyptic war between the two.

:chair:

drinian
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby drinian » Mon Jun 13, 2011 9:30 pm

Not too bad, although Miku just doesn't seem to fit properly into the car.

I wouldn't be surprised if the folks in the "flash mob" are Miku or anime fans who were recruited by Toyota. It'd explain the amateurishness. So it's sort of grassroots and didn't cost them much of anything. Toyota's getting great returns on these extremely inexpensive commercials.
[Became an administrator on July 1st, 2006.]

gatotsu911
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

•      
  •      

Postby gatotsu911 » Mon Jun 13, 2011 9:48 pm

View Original PostMonk Ed wrote::hitthetable: I honestly loled out loud in embarrassing fashion at the bolded part.

The mental image of Xard shitting himself hollow is what did it for me.
"I am shocked, SHOCKED, that a regular on an Evangelion forum would be a self-hating mess." - Tarnsman, paraphrased

"Jesus Christ, why are we even still talking about this shit?" - The Eva Monkey, summing up Evageeks in a sentence

Avatar: The Frozen Flame ~ Where Angels Lose Their Way

Xard
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Xard » Fri Jun 24, 2011 7:08 pm

Shogo-Kun
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby Shogo-Kun » Fri Jun 24, 2011 11:30 pm

Sankaku Complex looks like a hentai site. I'm not taking their opinion seriously.

@Topic: Too bad for ManMiku. I actually kinda liked it... :whatever:
NGE was a damned good anime
EoE was an anime masterpiece
And Rebuild is nothing short of epic
Long live the EVAs!!

AVATAR Oreo Nakamura, Light and Dark

Sun Stealer
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby Sun Stealer » Sat Jun 25, 2011 1:07 am

Am I the only one who notices the bizarre speech of the announcer. Listen to that commercial again, but replace the announcer's voice with Babycake's voice.

I suspect this ad was thought up by a terrible marketing staff in America, this was then approved for lack of any better idea where an overworked salaryman in Japan wrote the script while desperately trying to recall half-forgotten high school english lessons before the midnight deadline, which was then sent back to America where it was recorded by a bewildered announcer trying to figure out what the heck he was reading.

I only hope that if they do release a Japanese version of the ad, rather than use the untranslated script, they translate the english text back into Japanese using babelfish.

Obstermaxmaster
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby Obstermaxmaster » Sat Jun 25, 2011 11:49 am

It's about time!! :w00t:

She looks like she's rocking that ad! I love the green that they used, though it makes her look like she needs to be in a Mountain Dew ad instead. I almost wish that toyota would make the car lime green/teal/blue.
I WISH DAYLIGHT SAVINGS NEVER HAPPENED SO WE CAN WATCH MORE KARE KANO ~ C.A.P. ON SKYPE

Return to “Completely and Utterly Off-Topic”