Computer Stupidities

Yeah. You read right. This is for everything that doesn't have anything to do with Eva.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Trajan
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby Trajan » Tue Sep 22, 2015 10:45 am

View Original PostBobBQ wrote:Does it have a manual switch for the wifi by any chance? We have a rather craptastic Toshiba laptop that does, and people keep accidentally swiping it when they move the machine around.

It's more than just that. Initially I thought that might be the problem, but when I took it to the campus computer store yesterday, it kept having trouble connecting to the school wireless network even with the wifi switched on (as indicated by the green light for the indicator under the keyboard) and I run virus scans regularly that haven't turned anything up in a long time. Sometimes I would get it to connect only for it to disconnect and sometimes troubleshooting wouldn't even do anything or even open up. Thus, I have to conclude that it's a hardware issue and considering the age of the computer I'd be better served getting it replaced than paying upwards of a $100 for someone to fix it.
Movin' Right Along
"Everything has its beauty but not everyone sees it." - Confucius
"All styles are good except the tiresome kind." - Voltaire

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Tue Sep 22, 2015 11:08 am

Do what I did when I discovered the driver for the WiFi card on my laptop blue-screened Windows 10 every time -- get a cheap (~$10) low-profile USB WiFi dongle and use that instead.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Tue Sep 22, 2015 2:54 pm

Some of you will know these three RFCs that define IP over avian carriers:
Original,
QoS update,
IPv6 update

What I did not know is that the first of these was actually implemented experimentally in 2001:
http://www.blug.linux.no/rfc1149/

Here (from that web site) is a ping session log:

Code: Select all

Script started on Sat Apr 28 11:24:09 2001
vegard@gyversalen:~$ /sbin/ifconfig tun0
tun0   Link encap:Point-to-Point Protocol
       inet addr:10.0.3.2 P-t-P:10.0.3.1 Mask:255.255.255.255
       UP POINTOPOINT RUNNING NOARP MULTICAST MTU:150 Metric:1
       RX packets:1 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
       TX packets:2 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
       collisions:0
       RX bytes:88 (88.0 b) TX bytes:168 (168.0 b)

vegard@gyversalen:~$ ping -i 900 10.0.3.1
PING 10.0.3.1 (10.0.3.1): 56 data bytes
64 bytes from 10.0.3.1: icmp_seq=0 ttl=255 time=6165731.1 ms
64 bytes from 10.0.3.1: icmp_seq=4 ttl=255 time=3211900.8 ms
64 bytes from 10.0.3.1: icmp_seq=2 ttl=255 time=5124922.8 ms
64 bytes from 10.0.3.1: icmp_seq=1 ttl=255 time=6388671.9 ms

--- 10.0.3.1 ping statistics ---
9 packets transmitted, 4 packets received, 55% packet loss
round-trip min/avg/max = 3211900.8/5222806.6/6388671.9 ms
vegard@gyversalen:~$ exit

Script done on Sat Apr 28 14:14:28 2001
Last edited by pwhodges on Wed Jan 25, 2017 2:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: The end of the journey (details); Past avatars.
Before 3.0+1.0 there was Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

Trajan
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby Trajan » Tue Sep 22, 2015 3:17 pm

View Original PostMr. Tines wrote:Do what I did when I discovered the driver for the WiFi card on my laptop blue-screened Windows 10 every time -- get a cheap (~$10) low-profile USB WiFi dongle and use that instead.

This computer is older and is getting to the point where it needs to be replaced anyways. I might get one for the interim period when I'm transitioning and until I get a new one and for future backup, but I don't foresee a long term solution at this point.
Movin' Right Along
"Everything has its beauty but not everyone sees it." - Confucius
"All styles are good except the tiresome kind." - Voltaire

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Tue Sep 22, 2015 3:28 pm

Tiding you over was what I expected -- and the laptop of mine in question is about the same age as yours.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

Squigsquasher
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Squigsquasher » Thu Sep 24, 2015 3:16 pm

(Note: for ease of understanding, stuff I'm typing into the terminal will be in green. Responses from the terminal will be in red.)

So I'm trying to install the wireless drivers on Debian on my laptop. Unfortunately it doesn't seem to be working quite as it should. When I type sudo modprobe -r iwlwifi ; modprobe iwlwifi I get the error bash: modprobe: command not found. I've tried sudo apt-get install modprobe and have just gotten the error unable to locate package modprobe for my troubles.

I've tried replacing sudo with su but that doesn't work either. What am I doing wrong?
Here lies Squigsquasher.
2013-2017.

drinian
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby drinian » Thu Sep 24, 2015 9:01 pm

If I remember correctly, stuff in /sbin like modprobe isn't on the $PATH in Debian, which is why it isn't being found. modprobe had better be on your system -- it's pretty important to the kernel. Ubuntu, on the other hand, adds /sbin to the default $PATH.

Another thing to note is that if you are going to execute two commands as you are here, you're generally better off connecting them with && rather than ;, since that will only continue execution if the first command returns 0 (i.e., is successful).

Finally, you need to use sudo to execute each command individually, i.e. sudo modprobe -r && sudo modprobe.

But for you, just run these commands sequentially with the full path to the executable, and avoid all those issues:

[code:1]
sudo /sbin/modprobe -r iwlwifi
sudo /sbin/modprobe iwlwifi
[/code:1]

That explains why your code isn't working -- but what exactly do you mean, install wireless drivers on your laptop? Generally hardware "just works." Debian kernels do lag behind, though, which often makes Ubuntu or its derivatives (I use Lubuntu) a better choice for workstations just for their better hardware support.

cyharding
Our Man in Tokyo 3
Our Man in Tokyo 3

•      
  •      

Postby cyharding » Thu Sep 24, 2015 10:10 pm

For some reason when I click on Chrome on my new laptop, it doesn't come up right away. It appears up to 10 minutes later. I have no explanation for it.
Finding intelligent life on the web is not easy, we must all be glad we found EGF. - A.T. Fish
You Can Start Again. Chapter 32 now released. Now on FF.net
Oh, Eva, you never cease to amaze me. Your fans are analizing a calendar, for god's sake.- Alpha

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Fri Sep 25, 2015 1:48 am

Your laptop is full of ants running a modified version of IP over avian carriers internally.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )

Squigsquasher
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Squigsquasher » Fri Sep 25, 2015 3:35 am

View Original Postdrinian wrote:If I remember correctly, stuff in /sbin like modprobe isn't on the $PATH in Debian, which is why it isn't being found. modprobe had better be on your system -- it's pretty important to the kernel. Ubuntu, on the other hand, adds /sbin to the default $PATH.

Another thing to note is that if you are going to execute two commands as you are here, you're generally better off connecting them with && rather than ;, since that will only continue execution if the first command returns 0 (i.e., is successful).

Finally, you need to use sudo to execute each command individually, i.e. sudo modprobe -r && sudo modprobe.

But for you, just run these commands sequentially with the full path to the executable, and avoid all those issues:

[code:1]
sudo /sbin/modprobe -r iwlwifi
sudo /sbin/modprobe iwlwifi
[/code:1]

That explains why your code isn't working -- but what exactly do you mean, install wireless drivers on your laptop? Generally hardware "just works." Debian kernels do lag behind, though, which often makes Ubuntu or its derivatives (I use Lubuntu) a better choice for workstations just for their better hardware support.

Thanks for the advice. As soon as I get home I'll give it a go. As for what I mean, from what I can gather Debian doesn't come with drivers for wireless internet by default, hence why I'm having to install it (and also why I had to plug it directly into our home router to get hold of the drivers in the first place).

I'm running Debian 8.2 "Jessie" by the way.
Here lies Squigsquasher.
2013-2017.

drinian
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby drinian » Fri Sep 25, 2015 8:35 am

View Original PostSquigsquasher wrote:As for what I mean, from what I can gather Debian doesn't come with drivers for wireless internet by default, hence why I'm having to install it.

That's kind of a broad statement and I'm not sure exactly where you're running into trouble, but Debian does come with support for many wireless cards.

Debian targets stability, especially in their long-term-support releases like Jessie. In order to support new hardware, Debian would have to upgrade the Linux kernel -- the core of the operating system that handles interfacing to hardware, among other duties -- much more often than they would otherwise. As a result, the Debian kernel often lags several years behind what's actually available in terms of hardware support. But it's not missing.

Unlike Windows, where Microsoft forces individual vendors to provide drivers as separate installers and relies on them to write the code, the Linux kernel team integrates drivers into the kernel as much as possible, so hardware should just work out of the box. As it happens, many vendors and products are actually using the same chipsets under the hood despite the branding, so this isn't as difficult as it sounds.

I would be very, very cautious about downloading, compiling, and inserting your own kernel modules to remedy this issue. Even assuming that you've obtained the right source code from a trusted site, it's still going to add to your maintenance overhead down the road. I spent several years of my life having to patch and custom-compile kernels to work with video drivers back when driver support was poorer, and it's not something I would have done if I didn't have to.

Are you sure that the issue is that your hardware isn't being recognized? Where are you getting advice on this issue? Why did you choose Debian? (I have gone down this exact road with Debian, as it happens).

Squigsquasher
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Squigsquasher » Fri Sep 25, 2015 8:45 am

View Original Postdrinian wrote:That's kind of a broad statement and I'm not sure exactly where you're running into trouble, but Debian does come with support for many wireless cards.

Debian targets stability, especially in their long-term-support releases like Jessie. In order to support new hardware, Debian would have to upgrade the Linux kernel -- the core of the operating system that handles interfacing to hardware, among other duties -- much more often than they would otherwise. As a result, the Debian kernel often lags several years behind what's actually available in terms of hardware support. But it's not missing.

Unlike Windows, where Microsoft forces individual vendors to provide drivers as separate installers and relies on them to write the code, the Linux kernel team integrates drivers into the kernel as much as possible, so hardware should just work out of the box. As it happens, many vendors and products are actually using the same chipsets under the hood despite the branding, so this isn't as difficult as it sounds.

I would be very, very cautious about downloading, compiling, and inserting your own kernel modules to remedy this issue. Even assuming that you've obtained the right source code from a trusted site, it's still going to add to your maintenance overhead down the road. I spent several years of my life having to patch and custom-compile kernels to work with video drivers back when driver support was poorer, and it's not something I would have done if I didn't have to.

Are you sure that the issue is that your hardware isn't being recognized? Where are you getting advice on this issue? Why did you choose Debian? (I have gone down this exact road with Debian, as it happens).
I'm getting my advice for this issue from Catamari, who also runs Debian and is highly experienced with it. I'm not entirely sure that the issue is that my hardware isn't recognized- there was the option to try and connect to the internet via wifi, but it looked rather complex so I left it be, so I don't know if it actually works or not.

As for why I'm using Debian, simply put I want to get away from Windows, and Cat recommended Debian.

For the record, my laptop is a Toshiba (bought it off my previous school) and my Debian install is running KDE.
Here lies Squigsquasher.
2013-2017.

Ornette
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Ornette » Fri Sep 25, 2015 8:47 am

View Original PostSquigsquasher wrote:As for what I mean, from what I can gather Debian doesn't come with drivers for wireless internet by default, hence why I'm having to install it.

https://wiki.debian.org/ModulesAll

/drivers/net/wireless/rt2x00/rt2400pci - Ralink RT2400 PCI & PCMCIA Wireless LAN driver.

./drivers/net/wireless/rt2x00/rt2x00usb - rt2x00 usb library

./drivers/net/wireless/rt2x00/rt2500usb - Ralink RT2500 USB Wireless LAN driver.

./drivers/net/wireless/rt2x00/rt2x00lib - rt2x00 library

./drivers/net/wireless/rt2x00/rt73usb - Ralink RT73 USB Wireless LAN driver.

./drivers/net/wireless/rt2x00/rt61pci - Ralink RT61 PCI & PCMCIA Wireless LAN driver.

./drivers/net/wireless/rt2x00/rt2500pci - Ralink RT2500 PCI & PCMCIA Wireless LAN driver.

./drivers/net/wireless/rt2x00/rt2x00pci - rt2x00 pci library

./drivers/net/wireless/zd1201 - Driver for ZyDAS ZD1201 based USB Wireless adapters

./drivers/net/wireless/p54/p54common - Softmac Prism54 common code

./drivers/net/wireless/p54/p54usb - Prism54 USB wireless driver

./drivers/net/wireless/p54/p54pci - Prism54 PCI wireless driver

./drivers/net/wireless/wl3501_cs - Planet wl3501 wireless driver

./drivers/net/wireless/arlan -

./drivers/net/wireless/wavelan -

./drivers/net/wireless/orinoco_cs - Driver for PCMCIA Lucent Orinoco, Prism II based and similar wireless cards

./drivers/net/wireless/orinoco_nortel - Driver for wireless LAN cards using the Nortel PCI bridge

./drivers/net/wireless/hermes - Low-level driver helper for Lucent Hermes chipset and Prism II HFA384x wireless MAC controller

./drivers/net/wireless/iwlwifi/iwl3945 - Intel(R) PRO/Wireless 3945ABG/BG Network Connection driver for Linux

./drivers/net/wireless/iwlwifi/iwlcore - iwl core

./drivers/net/wireless/iwlwifi/iwl4965 - Intel(R) Wireless WiFi Link 4965AGN driver for Linux

./drivers/net/wireless/atmel - Support for Atmel at76c50x 802.11 wireless ethernet cards.

./drivers/net/wireless/orinoco_tmd - Driver for wireless LAN cards using the TMD7160 PCI bridge

./drivers/net/wireless/hostap/hostap_cs - Support for Intersil Prism2-based 802.11 wireless LAN cards (PC Card).

./drivers/net/wireless/hostap/hostap_plx - Support for Intersil Prism2-based 802.11 wireless LAN cards (PLX).

./drivers/net/wireless/hostap/hostap - Host AP common routines

./drivers/net/wireless/hostap/hostap_pci - Support for Intersil Prism2.5-based 802.11 wireless LAN PCI cards.

./drivers/net/wireless/b43legacy/b43legacy - Broadcom B43legacy wireless driver

./drivers/net/wireless/rtl8180 - RTL8180 / RTL8185 PCI wireless driver

./drivers/net/wireless/atmel_cs - Support for Atmel at76c50x 802.11 wireless ethernet cards.

./drivers/net/wireless/ipw2200 - Intel(R) PRO/Wireless 2200/2915 Network Driver

./drivers/net/wireless/airo - Support for Cisco/Aironet 802.11 wireless ethernet cards. Direct support for ISA/PCI/MPI cards and support for PCMCIA when used with airo_cs.

./drivers/net/wireless/ray_cs - Raylink/!?WebGear wireless LAN driver

./drivers/net/wireless/orinoco_plx - Driver for wireless LAN cards using the PLX9052 PCI bridge

./drivers/net/wireless/libertas/usb8xxx - 8388 USB WLAN Driver

./drivers/net/wireless/libertas/libertas_cs - Driver for Marvell 83xx compact flash WLAN cards

./drivers/net/wireless/libertas/libertas_sdio - Libertas SDIO WLAN Driver

./drivers/net/wireless/libertas/libertas - Libertas WLAN Driver Library

./drivers/net/wireless/airo_cs - Support for Cisco/Aironet 802.11 wireless ethernet cards. This is the module that links the PCMCIA card with the airo module.

./drivers/net/wireless/orinoco - Driver for Lucent Orinoco, Prism II based and similar wireless cards

./drivers/net/wireless/strip - Starmode Radio IP (STRIP) Device Driver

./drivers/net/wireless/ipw2100 - Intel(R) PRO/Wireless 2100 Network Driver

./drivers/net/wireless/b43/b43 - Broadcom B43 wireless driver

./drivers/net/wireless/ath5k/ath5k - Support for 5xxx series of Atheros 802.11 wireless LAN cards.

./drivers/net/wireless/netwave_cs -

./drivers/net/wireless/zd1211rw/zd1211rw - USB driver for devices with the ZD1211 chip.

./drivers/net/wireless/rndis_wlan - Driver for RNDIS based USB Wireless adapters

./drivers/net/wireless/at76_usb - Atmel at76x USB Wireless LAN Driver

./drivers/net/wireless/orinoco_pci - Driver for wireless LAN cards using direct PCI interface

./drivers/net/wireless/adm8211 - Driver for IEEE 802.11b wireless cards based on ADMtek ADM8211

./drivers/net/wireless/atmel_pci - Support for Atmel at76c50x 802.11 wireless ethernet cards.

./drivers/net/wireless/rtl8187 - RTL8187 USB wireless driver

./drivers/net/wireless/spectrum_cs - Driver for Symbol Spectrum24 Trilogy cards with firmware downloader

./drivers/net/wireless/wavelan_cs -

cyharding
Our Man in Tokyo 3
Our Man in Tokyo 3

•      
  •      

Postby cyharding » Fri Sep 25, 2015 9:30 am

View Original Postpwhodges wrote:Your laptop is full of ants running a modified version of IP over avian carriers internally.

Please use plain English. What do ants and birds have to do with what's wrong?
Finding intelligent life on the web is not easy, we must all be glad we found EGF. - A.T. Fish
Oh, Eva, you never cease to amaze me. Your fans are analizing a calendar, for god's sake.- Alpha

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Fri Sep 25, 2015 9:36 am

It was a joke.
SPOILER: Show
I referred to the RFC standard defining IP over avian carriers - carrier pigeons - which I mentioned above for general amusement (it's genuine, but dated April 1st), and the fact that it had a very long ping time when actually implemented (as the article I linked described). Ants seemed more likely to fit inside a laptop than pigeons...

I actually can't think of any explanation for a delay of ten minutes. One minute I could put down to extreme paging in a memory-strapped machine. If I had the machine in hand I would be trying to find ways of finding out what the machine is doing meantime through instrumentation (diagnostic programs).

Is it really only Chrome that does this?

cyharding
Our Man in Tokyo 3
Our Man in Tokyo 3

•      
  •      

Postby cyharding » Fri Sep 25, 2015 10:28 am

Microsoft edge is working. I'm on it right now. I've uninstalled it and I'm going to reinstall this weekend. Sorry, I didn't realize it was a joke. Most of the computer stuff you and others are talking about is usually nonsense words to me.

Squigsquasher
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Squigsquasher » Fri Sep 25, 2015 10:47 am

Aaaand for some reason it's working now. Huh. Thanks anyway!
Here lies Squigsquasher.
2013-2017.

cyharding
Our Man in Tokyo 3
Our Man in Tokyo 3

•      
  •      

Postby cyharding » Sun Sep 27, 2015 10:06 pm

I uninstalled just about everything I put on my laptop since I got it, and now, everything is working fine. My best educated guess it that it was the drivers for my printer, I'm starting to reinstall everything and I will try another way to get my printer working.

soul.assassin
Geezer of All Trades
Geezer of All Trades

•      
  •      

Postby soul.assassin » Thu Oct 01, 2015 11:32 am

http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/answers/id-2074665/built-computer-made-huge-mistake.html

First-timer emptied all the thermal compound onto the bottom of the processor -- where the pins are placed.

-----------

http://arstechnica.com/security/2015/10/usb-killer-flash-drive-can-fry-your-computers-innards-in-seconds

I recall that a client's PC was repeatedly restarting. Did installed new drivers -- nothing changed. Ran a memory check -- nothing wrong. Replaced processor heatsink -- didn't work.

Then on a hunch decided to change the keyboard from USB to PS/2... and noticed that the USB keyboard -- a cheap model -- smelled like burnt plastic. So there it was causing the PC to restart with no reason at all.

Dream
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby Dream » Fri Oct 30, 2015 12:12 am

I'm not a tech person so if i missed anything obvious apologies. Anyways i have a 1+ year old Win7 64 bit system with a particular problem in a particular group of .mkv videos. Some episodes from Coalgirls releases (It's only Coalgirls that has the problem for some reason) unavoidably skip the ED or both OP and ED, although more accurate would be to say that -as far as the PC is concerned- the video doesn't have such segments at all. I know the file has them because they play just fine on my mother's PC.

Only clue i have is that it (my pc/system/etc.) might not be dealing with the chapters correctly but i don't really know what to do with that information, and installing myriad codec packs hasn't solved the problem. Any thoughts as to how it might be solved? Or what to look for/compare in my mother's pc that makes the videos play properly in it?
"Every line is a joy" -Kaworu Nagisa.

"Nothing great was ever achieved without enthusiasm." - Ralph Waldo Emerson.

Return to “Completely and Utterly Off-Topic”