Computer Stupidities

Yeah. You read right. This is for everything that doesn't have anything to do with Eva.

Moderators: New Moderators, Board Staff

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

Re: Computer Stupidities

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Wed Jun 07, 2017 10:24 am

My power tripped a couple of days ago, but after I reconnected it I realised that the servers had rebooted. They're on a really big (2200VA) UPS, and the load doesn't even bring up the bottom light of the indicator. When I checked it, a full charge was shown on the batteries, and the self-test warning light was not on; however, a test show that it dropped the power immediately.

Knowing that UPS problems are always the batteries, and having another set to hand (in another working UPS, but that one hums so I don't use it), I tried to remove them. They were completely stuck. Investigation showed that they had swollen and started to burst. As the framework of the UPS is rivetted together rather than bolted, there was no easy way to remove them; fortunately there are plenty of ways to get access, and I was able to use a crowbar to lever them out by force - took me the best part of an hour even so (I was working in the confined space of my loft, where the servers live).

Sadly, in the process I damaged the ribbon cable to the front panel, so I had to bring the UPS downstairs to repair (the cable is soldered in). At least that was possible - with the batteries out it weighs a mere 24kg. The two battery packs add another 11kg each, which is why I'd been working in the loft - getting a 46kg lump down a wobbly ladder is something that these days I choose not to do!

Still, it now works perfectly again, so I just have to get it (in parts) up that ladder again. But why the self-test didn't show any warning light I have no idea (I've seen that happen on other UPSs, though).

Curiously, these UPSs had cost me nothing (except the batteries); the IT officer in another department had thrown them out and replaced them, and I collected them up suspecting he probably hadn't bothered to check the batteries - which turned out to be right. The failed batteries date back to then, so they were nearly 10 years old.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: Kaworu starts to prepare Shinji for dual-piloting (details); Past avatars.
Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Mon Jun 26, 2017 4:00 pm

I am trying to make a new website using a CMS I've not used before. It works perfectly (apart from the site being work in progress), except for one thing: it doesn't work on iOS when served via https (all browsers, the same). It's fine using https on Windows or Android, or using http on iOS - just that one combination fails, and only on that website, not on any of my other ones.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: Kaworu starts to prepare Shinji for dual-piloting (details); Past avatars.

Dartz
Lilin
Lilin

•      
  •      

Postby Dartz » Mon Jul 03, 2017 4:45 pm

View Original Postpwhodges wrote:I am trying to make a new website using a CMS I've not used before. It works perfectly (apart from the site being work in progress), except for one thing: it doesn't work on iOS when served via https (all browsers, the same). It's fine using https on Windows or Android, or using http on iOS - just that one combination fails, and only on that website, not on any of my other ones.

Might be that IOS is rejecting the cert somehow?
-------m(^0^)m------ Wot, no sig?

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Mon Jul 03, 2017 6:39 pm

Not that; if I put a flat page on the web site it works just fine.

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Wed Aug 02, 2017 4:41 am

A little history. I first used a computer in 1966 - it was an English Electric Leo Marconi KDF9 (snappy company name, eh?). It was only 20 years after the end of WWII, so the designers were people who had typically served in the forces. The computer's ALU had a hardware stack of 16 words (one word = 48 bits), called the "nesting store", so arithmetic was written in reverse Polish. As the concept of a stack was unfamiliar at the time, the manual had an explanation. Even at the time I thought it was verging on the inappropriate, though it was perfectly effective as a description. Here it is:

SPOILER: Show

Tankred
Anime Ja Nai
Anime Ja Nai

•      
  •      

Postby Tankred » Wed Aug 02, 2017 10:29 am

They don't do them like that anymore, hah.

Return to “Completely and Utterly Off-Topic”