Computer Stupidities

Yeah. You read right. This is for everything that doesn't have anything to do with Eva.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

cyharding
Our Man in Tokyo 3
Our Man in Tokyo 3

Re: Computer Stupidities

•      
  •      

Postby cyharding » Fri Dec 02, 2016 11:52 pm

^Thank you, but I've already had the hard drive replaced, and it working like a dream. The only thing I need to put back on there is the games I got off steam. I sometimes wonder if they were the cause of it all.
Finding intelligent life on the web is not easy, we must all be glad we found EGF. - A.T. Fish
You Can Start Again. Chapter 32 now released. Now on FF.net
Oh, Eva, you never cease to amaze me. Your fans are analizing a calendar, for god's sake.- Alpha

Ray
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby Ray » Tue Dec 13, 2016 7:17 pm

I've got a redirect virus. Everytime I use Google or Bing it always redirects me to some other search Engine . I tried flushing my cache, but that didn't work so I'm trying Malwarebytes to get it out of my computer.

soul.assassin
Geezer of All Trades
Geezer of All Trades

•      
  •      

Postby soul.assassin » Thu Dec 15, 2016 12:52 pm

View Original PostRay wrote:I've got a redirect virus. Everytime I use Google or Bing it always redirects me to some other search Engine . I tried flushing my cache, but that didn't work so I'm trying Malwarebytes to get it out of my computer.

Get some tools from BleepingComputer. Once you're done removing the redirect, pick up uBlock and Ghostery.

MAGI_01
Nerv Employee
Nerv Employee

•      
  •      

Postby MAGI_01 » Fri Jan 06, 2017 11:34 pm

So I have a big issue with my gaming PC at current.

Last night, just siting with facebook and skype open it shut down on me. Had the windows shut down screen 10 gives for a few seconds before it shut off. I though it odd and tried to restart to find it only powers on for a few seconds before shutting back down. After messing with it for awhile I figured being 6 years old, the power supply probably was toast so I went and picked up a new one today after work. (Rest of my machine is only about 2 years old)

Popped in the new one and no change, it still keeps on doing the same thing. So I pulled parts out one by one and tried starting it each time to no change. It's dead Jim. Thing is I have no way to test if my processor is alive or not and am honestly afraid of just buying a new LGA 1150 board (Has to be Z97 since I have an unlocked processor) to find either my CPU is dead or it killing a brand new motherboard. (As I suspect the motherboard is the root of my problem now but it is possible my CPU went with it.)

So my dilemma is, is it safe to go ahead and buy a new motherboard and take the gamble, or should I just can it and jump over to LGA 1151 and a 6700k (I figure if I have to go that route I will just go ahead and upgrade.)
"If it's stupid but works, it isn't stupid." - Me
"Has anyone ever told you how pretty your eyes are?" - Akio's most famous line.
Akio in Lance of LoL's Rebuild RP
Steam/PSN: MAGI_01 Origin: MAGI_02
Interested in a FMA based RP? Then check this out!

Sicarius VI
Tokyo-3 Resident
Tokyo-3 Resident

•      
  •      

Postby Sicarius VI » Sat Jan 07, 2017 7:15 am

^Regarding your processor check to make sure the fan on it is working. If it is overheating and your computer has a fail safe to shut off when it gets to hot that could be the problem. Just trying to help.
"I'm not going there to die, I'm going to find out if I'm really alive." - Spike Spiegel

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Sat Jan 07, 2017 7:25 am

Often simply blowing accumulated dust out of the heatsink fins is enough. But if you've been disassembling stuff, you've likely already been there...
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: The end of the journey (details); Past avatars.
Before 3.0+1.0 there was Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

MAGI_01
Nerv Employee
Nerv Employee

•      
  •      

Postby MAGI_01 » Sat Jan 07, 2017 9:14 pm

EDIT: I got it working! Seems my power on/off switch failed and stuck closed causing it to turn on and then off immediately. I read about that being a possibility on a few sites and decided to disconnect it, and since I have a reset switch which is the exact same, I switched the connection over and boom! booted right up with no problems.

So I just need to get a new on/off switch and that will be that.

Monk Ed
Sunshine Administrator
Sunshine Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Monk Ed » Sun Jan 08, 2017 4:11 am

That's some pretty hardcore problem-solving. A faulty switch? That must've been heck to figure out!
System Administrator
"NGE is like a perfectly improvised jazz piece. It builds on a standard and then plays off it from there, and its developments may occasionally recall what it's done before as a way of keeping the whole concatenated." -- Eva Yojimbo
"To me watching anime is not just for killing time or entertainment, it is a life style, and a healthy one too." -- symbv
"That sounds like the kind of science that makes absolutely 0 sense when you stop and think about it... I LOVE IT." -- Rosenakahara

MAGI_01
Nerv Employee
Nerv Employee

•      
  •      

Postby MAGI_01 » Mon Jan 09, 2017 7:51 pm

Oh believe me it was! I had pretty much condemned it and was ready to start buying new parts but started having a look around the internet for any other troubleshooting tips. Saw some people (though very few) on various sites suggesting to check the power switch as that is what happened to them. Decided it could not hurt and unplugged it from the board. No start up attempt once I put power to it so I knew I was on to something. Connected the reset switch in its place and it fired right up when I pressed it.

Credit go's to those random strangers out on the internet. I would have bought a new motherboard, processor and ram only to find it still didn't work and would have been out a big chunk of cash. Now I only need a $2 switch for it to be back to normal, but for now its fine as it is.

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Sat Feb 04, 2017 7:47 am

Ever wondered how Japanese was typed into computers before software input methods were developed?

When I was selling my medical imaging software in Japan at the start of the 1980s, my agents there were a company which sold keyboards and printers (then called "electrostatic", now called "laser", but able to produce graphical output - which was why I used them). Anyway, I came across some pictures which I recognised as the the keyboards they sold. Observe and wonder:

What looks like a number pad to the left is actually the bank of twelve shift keys, as each of the main keys has 12 symbols on. Centre-bottom you see a few keys with the Roman alphabet and digits, and above them the Kana. The rest is Kanji. There 2592 symbols on the keys, but I believe that some other control keys modified the operation to generate yet more characters.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )

Guy Nacks
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby Guy Nacks » Sat Feb 04, 2017 11:12 am

That looks like a goddamn nightmare, both in terms of sheer bulk and horrendous ergonomics.
Among the people who use the Internet, many are obtuse. Because they are locked in their rooms, they hang on to that vision which is spreading across the world. But this does not go beyond mere ‘data’. Data without analysis [thinking], which makes you think that you know everything. This complacency is nothing but a trap. Moreover, the sense of values that counters this notion is paralyzed by it.

And so we arrive at demagogy. - Hideaki Anno, 1996

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Sat Feb 04, 2017 12:59 pm

As I recall, an experienced operator could top 30 chars/min on simple text...

Shamsiel-kun
Tokyo-3 Resident
Tokyo-3 Resident

•      
  •      

Postby Shamsiel-kun » Mon Feb 06, 2017 10:08 am

...and then, only a few years later, the first mass-produced Japanese home computers came out, and all that was put into a dedicated ROM board, coupled to a Japanese layout keyboard.

Is it just me, or have consumer motherboards been really dumbed down the last couple of years? My most recent PC dates from 2004, but looking at modern motherboard manuals makes me think of one of those books I got when I was, like, 8 or 9. Manuals with very little text, missing explanations (that are present in server board manuals) and lots of images. Pretty colors and useless plastic bits on the boards themselves, and a BIOS that looks like some fancy computer game but has cut down features compared to older boards (single RAID arrays are not what I'm looking for). WTF is this shit?
The singularity is the rapture for nerds, dude. It's not going to happen. - Chuckman

soul.assassin
Geezer of All Trades
Geezer of All Trades

•      
  •      

Postby soul.assassin » Tue Feb 14, 2017 12:28 am

View Original PostShamsiel-kun wrote:Is it just me, or have consumer motherboards been really dumbed down the last couple of years? My most recent PC dates from 2004, but looking at modern motherboard manuals makes me think of one of those books I got when I was, like, 8 or 9. Manuals with very little text, missing explanations (that are present in server board manuals) and lots of images. Pretty colors and useless plastic bits on the boards themselves, and a BIOS that looks like some fancy computer game but has cut down features compared to older boards (single RAID arrays are not what I'm looking for). WTF is this shit?

Most motherboard manufacturers are now in China, expect terse explanations in manuals (in most cases, multilingual) which requires you to Google for technical terms such as UEFI or M2 SSD. OEM versions they make, including server boards, requires more explanation, so thicker manuals, and also have to strictly comply with the customer (i.e. Dell).

Personally, "gaming" motherboards tend to be over-the-top, with RGB lighting systems that's a mixture of funny and facepalm -- they're designed for a specific audience who likes to be showy as PCMR. The fancy UEFI BIOS you talk about? Some of them have a hotkey to shoo away the GUI for more sophisticated users, but those interface changes were made so that the condition of the motherboard and its components can be seen at one glance, or be able to be understood by intermediate users. In addition, some can allow you to update BIOS directly from the Internet through LAN connection, or you can save individual customized settings.

Fortunately, there are very good plain utilitarian motherboards that eschews much of the "edgy" designs.

Shamsiel-kun
Tokyo-3 Resident
Tokyo-3 Resident

•      
  •      

Postby Shamsiel-kun » Fri Feb 17, 2017 1:02 pm

View Original Postsoul.assassin wrote:Most motherboard manufacturers are now in China, expect terse explanations in manuals (in most cases, multilingual) which requires you to Google for technical terms such as UEFI or M2 SSD. OEM versions they make, including server boards, requires more explanation, so thicker manuals, and also have to strictly comply with the customer (i.e. Dell).

Back in the 1990s many OEM hardware for cheaper systems was also made in China or Taiwan, and they had better manuals. Which were also much thinner.

Some of them have a hotkey to shoo away the GUI for more sophisticated users, but those interface changes were made so that the condition of the motherboard and its components can be seen at one glance

...and here we come to one of the things that made me facepalm when trying to find a suitable motherboard for a fileserver system I might build in the coming months: features that exist since a very long time being presented as "innovation". Hardware monitoring screens in BIOSes have existed since at least the mid-1990s, especially on higher end systems, and the same applies to "customized settings" (...that's been possible since a very long time on consumer systems).

In addition, some can allow you to update BIOS directly from the Internet through LAN connection

You gotta be kidding me :rolleyes: :facepalm: I thought BIOS update utilities working from Windows were already dodgy, but this takes the cake...

, or you can save individual customized settings.

Fortunately, there are very good plain utilitarian motherboards that eschews much of the "edgy" designs.

Such as the Supermicro server board that I'll likely be using...for 250 bucks it has on-board sound, graphics, hardware RAID, support for more RAM than I'll ever need, 2 PCI slots, 5 PCI-e slots, 8 SATA connections, 2 LAN connections and some other stuff, plus known working support for the OS I would like to use (which is not Windows), and also warranty for five years, which makes it more suitable for a system that needs to survive five or more years instead of getting replaced after 2 years.
The singularity is the rapture for nerds, dude. It's not going to happen. - Chuckman

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Sun Feb 19, 2017 5:46 pm

You may remember that in the past I complained about Tumblr's site having some areas that didn't display using IPv6, and this state of affairs persisted for over a year. Well, about a month ago they appeared to have fixed it.

However, in the past few days they have broken it even worse - now I cannot see anything from Tumblr, not even their front page, unless I turn off IPv6 or use an IPv4 VPN. As far as I can see, theirs is the only site in the world that has displayed such magnificent incompetence.

I have sent their support a message - last year they responded: "we can't fix this, we'll pass it to our development department" followed by a survey request: "are you pleased and satisfied with our response?" My reply was unrepeatable, and they didn't reply again.

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Fri Feb 24, 2017 9:38 am

Cloudbleed web vulnerability

It has just been revealed that for the past five months there has been a flaw in CloudFlare (now fixed) which allowed 1 in over three million or less responses it gave to contain a random part of another response. In principle this could lead to leakage of passwords, for instance. There is no sign yet that any hackers found this vulnerability and tried using it to get data they were interested in. It would take a great deal of effort to have capitalised on this. Note that any hackers would not be gaining access to any servers this way; all they get is fragments of web pages.

This forum is not served through CloudFlare, so data from here has not been at risk.

However, CloudFlare is used by over four million websites, so it is likely that other sites you visit have been affected. Your personal vulnerability is only in respect of messages you have received from any websites concerned - the lower your usage, the less need there is to be worried. Online password managers might be a thing to look out for, though. If you use one, do change your master password, and maybe check with the company whether they use CloudFlare, and if so that they do not rely solely on https encryption to protect your password data.

I'm not personally worried at all, because even though I am an intensive web user the amount of possibly compromising information I transfer from websites is very small indeed.

TL/DR:
There has been a significant vulnerability on many websites which has most likely not been exploited at all, and whose scope for exploitation was limited in any case.

TheFriskyIan
Lord Hamburger
Lord Hamburger

•      
  •      

Postby TheFriskyIan » Fri Feb 24, 2017 10:50 am

Is that why 4chan went down yesterday, causing the massive conspiracy about the site going down over an alien photograph?

http://heavy.com/social/2017/02/4chan-a ... ure-photo/
Please just call me Ian, "TheFrisky" is more of a title.

"Knowledge seeks no Man."

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Fri Feb 24, 2017 12:05 pm

I don't see that it would bring them down, though they are certainly on the list of CloudFlare users. I suppose they may have panicked before they saw how to deal with the issue (which CloudFlare have done at their end anyway).

soul.assassin
Geezer of All Trades
Geezer of All Trades

•      
  •      

Postby soul.assassin » Sat Mar 04, 2017 5:10 am

It's been a few days Ryzen came out and most people dissed on it just because it's a few figures short of Intel's i7-7700K.

For the price of that Pagani Zonda processor -- was it a thousand Cs? -- I could damn well buy a decent Ryzen processor plus a new video card, memory, and maybe a heatsink. :lol: Gonna get the R5.

Return to “Completely and Utterly Off-Topic”