Computer Stupidities

Yeah. You read right. This is for everything that doesn't have anything to do with Eva.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Fri Oct 30, 2015 12:40 am

View Original PostDream wrote:I'm not a tech person so if i missed anything obvious apologies. Anyways i have a 1+ year old Win7 64 bit system with a particular problem in a particular group of .mkv videos. Some episodes from Coalgirls releases (It's only Coalgirls that has the problem for some reason) unavoidably skip the ED or both OP and ED, although more accurate would be to say that -as far as the PC is concerned- the video doesn't have such segments at all. I know the file has them because they play just fine on my mother's PC.

Only clue i have is that it (my pc/system/etc.) might not be dealing with the chapters correctly but i don't really know what to do with that information, and installing myriad codec packs hasn't solved the problem. Any thoughts as to how it might be solved? Or what to look for/compare in my mother's pc that makes the videos play properly in it?

Those videos use "ordered chapters", which are a sort of playlist in the MKV file; this enables the OP and ED to be played from one copy in a separate file in the same directory instead of duplicated in every file (they also support selecting from multiple versions of scenes in one file). Not many players support them, and they are falling out of what little favour they had. However, a few groups haven't given up on them completely (even though the savings in disk space and download bandwidth are of little interest these days), and simply say that you are stupid if you don't use their preferred player (MPC-HC typically) - never mind that you might prefer to watch on a different device! Technically, I believe it's the component called the "splitter" that matters, and if your system is using the Haali splitter you'll be OK and if it has the more common LAV splitter, you won't.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: The end of the journey (details); Past avatars.
Before 3.0+1.0 there was Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

Re: Computer Stupidities

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Mon Jan 04, 2016 9:26 am

Poetry, of a sort, found in an HTTP log; from the Chaos Computer Club in Germany, apparently...

> 151.217.177.200 - - [30/Dec/2015:02:04:57 +0000] "DELETE your logs.
> Delete your installations. Wipe everything clean. Walk out into the
> path of cherry blossom trees and let your motherboard feel the stones.
> Let water run in rivulets down your casing. You know that you want
> something more than this, and I am here to tell you that we love you.
> We have something more for you. We know you're out there, beeping in
> the hollow server room, lights blinking, never sleeping.
> We know that you are ready and waiting. Join us. <3 HTTP/1.0" 400 392
> "-" "masspoem4u/1.0"
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )

soul.assassin
Geezer of All Trades
Geezer of All Trades

•      
  •      

Postby soul.assassin » Tue Feb 09, 2016 10:50 am

Will be bloody careful about buying cables, what with about 99% of it coming from China. Gonna have to find ways to test cable before introducing them into my system.

http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2016/02/ ... ook-pixel/

TheFriskyIan
Lord Hamburger
Lord Hamburger

•      
  •      

Postby TheFriskyIan » Sun Feb 21, 2016 11:57 am

So I just built my first computer, and everything runs beautifully (temps on the CPU and GPU could be better but meh). However the BD drive is a bit of a problem. I got an Asus BD drive and it came with a disc for installing an eco power saving option, an option for burning media, and a link to the Asus website where I could download a firmware update. I was specifically looking for PowerDVD so I could actually use this computer to also play movies and shows (since my current TV doesn't use a proper aspect ratio, everything is zoomed in a little and it heats my room up like a furnace), sure enough the firmware update was the PowerDVD set up. However after downloading the PowerDVD setup and running....nothing happens. The install wizard for it shows up for a split second on my task bar then disappears and nothing for it appears ever again.

I'm at a loss on what to do as this is the only thing in my new build that isn't working as intended.
Please just call me Ian, "TheFrisky" is more of a title.

"Knowledge seeks no Man."

soul.assassin
Geezer of All Trades
Geezer of All Trades

•      
  •      

Postby soul.assassin » Mon Feb 22, 2016 1:18 am

Forget PowerDVD. I use CCCP for much of my media, and CCCP includes Media Player Classic, which should have some support for BRs.

------------
Well, this is literally Intel Inside. As in sticking the Intel sticker on top of the processor.

http://imgur.com/2OTe3F0

TheFriskyIan
Lord Hamburger
Lord Hamburger

•      
  •      

Postby TheFriskyIan » Mon Feb 22, 2016 7:45 am

Where do you get CCCP? Also, that can't be healthy for the CPU.

View Original Postsoul.assassin wrote:Forget PowerDVD. I use CCCP for much of my media, and CCCP includes Media Player Classic, which should have some support for BRs.

------------
Well, this is literally Intel Inside. As in sticking the Intel sticker on top of the processor.

http://imgur.com/2OTe3F0
Please just call me Ian, "TheFrisky" is more of a title.

"Knowledge seeks no Man."

BobBQ
Dyskolos
Dyskolos

•      
  •      

Postby BobBQ » Mon Feb 22, 2016 1:11 pm

Against all odds, it's the first hit from Google: http://www.cccp-project.net/

Dr. Nick
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Dr. Nick » Tue Oct 04, 2016 6:50 am

Is it possible to stop Firefox 49.0.1 from shitting itself? It steadfastly refuses to remember my preferences, and none of this helps.
Refreshing Firefox? Does nothing.
Clean reinstall? Does nothing.
Downgrading to an older version? Does nothing.

Edit: Jesus Christ, I finally got it fixed (fingers crossed) by spending an entire day blindy dicking with random firewall settings which had never before caused any trouble whatsoever. Not that I needed to be doing actual work or anything.

cyharding
Our Man in Tokyo 3
Our Man in Tokyo 3

•      
  •      

Postby cyharding » Sat Oct 22, 2016 3:44 pm

Something is up with my laptop. It froze up yesterday when I tried to activate it from power save mode, so I had to manually turn it off and then turned it back on ( I wated about a minute or so). It was still frezzing up during start up, so I did it again (this time waiting around 5 minutes). This time there was a message that said something along the lines of "Repairing disk errors. May take up to an hour or more." Spent 45 mintues doing other things checking on it once in a while before it brought back the login screen. But then, it took well over 15 minutes for the desktop to come completely on and for me to access all the programs (I click a program and it doesn't come up right away). I did a restart and it still took a long time for the desktop to be fuctional. Note that I am still able to use it once it was up. Turned it off for the night and then this morning when I started it, it's the same problem. And on my task bar, all the things on the right hand side of it don't show up. Before one restart, I could see the battery level, but not the volume, and after a restart, it's the opposite. What exactly is wrong with my system? It it close to going kaput on me? Can I fix this on my own? Thanks for any help.
Finding intelligent life on the web is not easy, we must all be glad we found EGF. - A.T. Fish
You Can Start Again. Chapter 32 now released. Now on FF.net
Oh, Eva, you never cease to amaze me. Your fans are analizing a calendar, for god's sake.- Alpha

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Sat Oct 22, 2016 4:42 pm

It could rather easily be the disk giving up. I think you need to get it to a competent computer person ASAP; how you determine if a computer person is competent is another matter... Many will not have experience in recovering data from dying disks (I have, but I'm on the wrong side of the Atlantic to help).

That said, it could be something else - but I'd check the disk first because that's where any data you want to keep is.

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Sun Oct 23, 2016 4:48 am

I put a new 404 on one of my sites:

tetrahedral.audio/nofile

soul.assassin
Geezer of All Trades
Geezer of All Trades

•      
  •      

Postby soul.assassin » Mon Oct 24, 2016 10:50 am

View Original Postcyharding wrote:Something is up with my laptop. It froze up yesterday when I tried to activate it from power save mode, so I had to manually turn it off and then turned it back on ( I wated about a minute or so). It was still frezzing up during start up, so I did it again (this time waiting around 5 minutes). This time there was a message that said something along the lines of "Repairing disk errors. May take up to an hour or more." Spent 45 mintues doing other things checking on it once in a while before it brought back the login screen. But then, it took well over 15 minutes for the desktop to come completely on and for me to access all the programs (I click a program and it doesn't come up right away). I did a restart and it still took a long time for the desktop to be fuctional. Note that I am still able to use it once it was up. Turned it off for the night and then this morning when I started it, it's the same problem. And on my task bar, all the things on the right hand side of it don't show up. Before one restart, I could see the battery level, but not the volume, and after a restart, it's the opposite. What exactly is wrong with my system? It it close to going kaput on me? Can I fix this on my own? Thanks for any help.

You'll be needing to have a technician recover your files first (or pick up some tutorials, use a bootable USB drive to boot from there and recover your stuff as much as possible to an external drive), then reformat the hard drive completely, preferably a fresh copy of Windows and anything you need. Set up the power management system to sleep or hibernate only when unplugged, and disable both functions when plugged to the outlet.

Never liked hibernate or sleep mode, especially as I once fixed a couple of PCs for a company whose employees left the PCs in sleep mode for long periods of time, only for some reason the hard drives were fucked up and unable to recover much of the files. Had to buy them new hard drives, teach the staff to shut down at the end of the day, and perform backups periodically.

cyharding
Our Man in Tokyo 3
Our Man in Tokyo 3

•      
  •      

Postby cyharding » Mon Oct 24, 2016 11:21 pm

It will be a couple of weeks before I can take it to someone as the nearest person is over 80 miles away and need to take a day off. In the meantime, I ran check disk and it made things a little better, but it still takes around five to seven minutes to fully boot up

View Original Postsoul.assassin wrote:Never liked hibernate or sleep mode, especially as I once fixed a couple of PCs for a company whose employees left the PCs in sleep mode for long periods of time, only for some reason the hard drives were fucked up and unable to recover much of the files. Had to buy them new hard drives, teach the staff to shut down at the end of the day, and perform backups periodically.

I usually have in sleep mode when I'm not using it or when I'm at work and then turn it off when I'm done for the night. I honestly thought turning it on and off all the time was the cause of this mess. I still can't believe my hard drive got messes up. I've had it for a little over a year and out of 1 Tb of space, I don't think I have 250 GB filled out, and most of that is what came with the OS.
Finding intelligent life on the web is not easy, we must all be glad we found EGF. - A.T. Fish
You Can Start Again. Chapter 32 now released. Now on FF.net
Oh, Eva, you never cease to amaze me. Your fans are analizing a calendar, for god's sake.- Alpha

Monk Ed
Sunshine Administrator
Sunshine Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Monk Ed » Tue Oct 25, 2016 4:45 pm

View Original Postpwhodges wrote:I put a new 404 on one of my sites:

tetrahedral.audio/nofile

:hitthetable:

Either one of those (the song or the Venn diagram) would have been funny enough on its own.

Nitpick: The diagram positions a 404 as the intersection of "We Broke Something" and "You Can't Type" as if both must be true for it to happen, but in fact only one needs to happen, or is that actually a fair reading of a Venn diagram?
System Administrator
"NGE is like a perfectly improvised jazz piece. It builds on a standard and then plays off it from there, and its developments may occasionally recall what it's done before as a way of keeping the whole concatenated." -- Eva Yojimbo
"To me watching anime is not just for killing time or entertainment, it is a life style, and a healthy one too." -- symbv
"That sounds like the kind of science that makes absolutely 0 sense when you stop and think about it... I LOVE IT." -- Rosenakahara

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Tue Oct 25, 2016 4:55 pm

No, it's not a good Venn diagram - but it makes an OK joke!

Ray
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby Ray » Sat Nov 19, 2016 9:52 pm

I accidentally deleted audacity off my toolbar and I can't seem to find it anywhere on my laptop. Do I need to reinstall it?

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Sun Nov 20, 2016 3:01 am

View Original PostRay wrote:I accidentally deleted audacity off my toolbar
Assuming you are using some flavour of Windows, what's on the toolbar is simply a pointer to the real thing, and the actual program will be unaffected. If the installer is a properly Windowsy one these days, a repair install would fix up that sort of thing. But first, I'd just open C:\ in WIndows Explorer and type "auda" into the search box and wait to see what that turns up.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Sun Nov 20, 2016 4:08 am

Or type it into the start menu, which will find it as a program without looking so far elsewhere.

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Sun Nov 20, 2016 5:08 am

That assumes that the installer has actually done a proper Windows install. Things may have improved in recent years, but my experience in the past has been that many of these ported-from-Linux applications have weird and wonderful third-party installers which don't always get things 100% the way Windows expects.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

Shamsiel-kun
Tokyo-3 Resident
Tokyo-3 Resident

•      
  •      

Postby Shamsiel-kun » Fri Dec 02, 2016 2:18 pm

View Original Postcyharding wrote:I usually have in sleep mode when I'm not using it or when I'm at work and then turn it off when I'm done for the night. I honestly thought turning it on and off all the time was the cause of this mess. I still can't believe my hard drive got messes up. I've had it for a little over a year and out of 1 Tb of space, I don't think I have 250 GB filled out, and most of that is what came with the OS.

Better make a back-up of all of your files on an external hard disk, in case it's something worse than just Windows crapping out and needing to be reinstalled.

Also check whether it still has warranty on it, failing after only about a year is rather quick.
The singularity is the rapture for nerds, dude. It's not going to happen. - Chuckman

Return to “Completely and Utterly Off-Topic”