Computer Stupidities

Yeah. You read right. This is for everything that doesn't have anything to do with Eva.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Heidroch
Lilith

Computer Stupidities

•      
  •      

Postby Heidroch » Mon Nov 14, 2005 4:50 pm

I've been reading through this website for a bit, and thought I'd share it with you fellow Eva cohorts. It's a collection of submissions about stupid things people have done or said about computers.

http://www.rinkworks.com/stupid/

Enjoy!

8)

Ryo
Matarael
Matarael

•      
  •      

Postby Ryo » Mon Nov 14, 2005 5:43 pm

Only in America, I guess. I've never heard of people being this stupid before.
Asuka > Rei

Heidroch
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Heidroch » Mon Nov 14, 2005 5:56 pm

Not quite "Only in America", mate.

I recall reading a story there from Ireland in which a customer blew his computer apart with a shotgun upon hearing unfavorable news from the Technician on the phone.

Also this excerpt:

I used to work in the only computer shop in a small village near Milan, in Italy. One day, a customer entered the shop, claiming that his computer wouldn't work anymore. We narrowed the problem down to the cdrom drive, so we swapped it out with a good one, and it booted up fine. So we reported what we did to the customer.

Customer: "I want my CDs back."
Me: "Did you have a CD in the defective unit?"
Customer: "Not only one."
Me: "What?"
Customer: "It's a 4x unit, right? It has three CDs in it right now. I thought the CD-ROM was defective, because it never accepted the fourth CD."
Last edited by Heidroch on Wed Nov 16, 2005 2:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

drinian
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby drinian » Mon Nov 14, 2005 9:45 pm

Some more amusing pictures of the same sort are here:

http://unix.rulez.org/~calver/pictures/stupid_users/index.html

Shnooks
Israfel
Israfel

•      
  •      

Postby Shnooks » Mon Nov 14, 2005 9:48 pm

dude, that site is SOOOOO 1998.

Lol, really though. Found that a couple of years back when I was still talking with my father. We laughed so hard we cried.

drinian
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby drinian » Mon Nov 14, 2005 11:46 pm

Shnooks wrote:dude, that site is SOOOOO 1998.

Yes, but stupidity is eternal.

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Tue Apr 28, 2015 9:55 am

Well, well; there was a thread for this already!

How to say hexadecimal numbers.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: The end of the journey (details); Past avatars.
Before 3.0+1.0 there was Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

Shamsiel-kun
Tokyo-3 Resident
Tokyo-3 Resident

•      
  •      

Postby Shamsiel-kun » Tue Apr 28, 2015 3:40 pm

View Original Postpwhodges wrote:Well, well; there was a thread for this already!

How to say hexadecimal numbers.

Yeah, but that one is quite fun, despite being completely useless. The ones listed on those sites are plainly stupid (and I could add a few stories to them from work involving clueless coworkers and actual IT staff :facepalm: ...)

Catamari
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby Catamari » Tue Apr 28, 2015 5:13 pm

Not stupidity, but an absolute classic, nonetheless.

http://www.webaugur.com/bazaar/53-what-if-operating-systems-were-airlines.html

http://hbd.org/brewery/library/lit/OS.html
Official Sexpert of Dai-Ero-Dan
"I LOVE LADIES." - The Eva Monkey
"If I can't wipe my own ass, then it's time for me to go." - Guy Nacks
"[Catamari] Just advising you to check your privilege" - Bagheera
"Fuck you, Switzerland" - Archer

Defectron
Tentacle Girl
Tentacle Girl

•      
  •      

Postby Defectron » Tue Apr 28, 2015 5:59 pm

Some of these sound a bit fake and I'm going to explain why

Him: "I'm looking at purchasing this Dell. Do you think I will need My Computer? Or what about My Documents? How much do they cost?"
Me: "Sir, that comes with all Windows machines."
Him: "Oh wow! I thought you had to pay extra for those!"

The reason why I say this sounds fake is if I was in that situation and the guy asked me " do you think I will need my computer" it wouldn't occur to me right away what he is asking because it's so stupid. I would probably think "wait is he asking if he needs his old computer to buy this new one? What does he mean by that?"

So I think either that one was made up or the tech guy is just very good at figuring out what people mean.

That's not to say that sort of thing doesn't happen of course, back when I worked with some computer repair guys there was this lady who tried to use a mouse by putting it directly on the screen of the comupter monitor.
Parasite Galaxy: An experimental webcomic

http://www.parasitegalaxy.com/ Updates Monday and Thursday. Vote for me on top webcomics

If you want to support this comic buy something from me on amazon

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Tue Apr 28, 2015 6:42 pm

After forty years of doing support, I can assure you that everything in every joke about it is conceivably true...
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )

Catamari
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby Catamari » Tue Apr 28, 2015 6:48 pm

View Original Postpwhodges wrote:After forty years of doing support, I can assure you that everything in every joke about it is conceivably true...
Make something idiot-proof and they'll invent a better class of idiots.
Official Sexpert of Dai-Ero-Dan
"I LOVE LADIES." - The Eva Monkey
"If I can't wipe my own ass, then it's time for me to go." - Guy Nacks
"[Catamari] Just advising you to check your privilege" - Bagheera
"Fuck you, Switzerland" - Archer

Squigsquasher
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Squigsquasher » Tue Jun 02, 2015 4:42 pm

View Original PostCatamari wrote:http://www.webaugur.com/bazaar/53-what-if-operating-systems-were-airlines.html

Exceptionally amusing but missing an important drawback with Linux Airways- that their planes can only land on 10% of runways.
Here lies Squigsquasher.
2013-2017.

Ornette
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Ornette » Tue Jun 02, 2015 5:46 pm

How so? You can run linux on a Sparc, SGI, pretty much every architecture that's being used today, even an iPhone or iPad.

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Tue Jun 02, 2015 5:52 pm

A problem's more likely to arise if you have special interfaces. Only one of my three semi-pro audio interfaces has a Linux driver. Two have Mac drivers, and all three Windows.

A.T. Fish
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby A.T. Fish » Tue Jun 02, 2015 6:24 pm

View Original PostOrnette wrote:How so? You can run linux on a Sparc, SGI, pretty much every architecture that's being used today, even an iPhone or iPad.

I think the analogy was pointing out the lack of Linux support in the majority of softwares. I'm not sure if this is accurate though, never used Linux.

drinian
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby drinian » Tue Jun 02, 2015 8:25 pm

View Original PostA.T. Fish wrote:I think the analogy was pointing out the lack of Linux support in the majority of softwares. I'm not sure if this is accurate though, never used Linux.

Sometimes I remember there is a looking-glass world out there from my own, having avoided the Microsoft tax for a decade now.

Pretty much any software I'd actually want to use or trust to use is Linux-native (and open-source). Or at least JVM-based. On Windows I always felt like there were roadblocks in my way when trying to get stuff done. Granted, I'm not in the creative film or music industries.

Not to mention that for common, standards-based peripherals, Linux support is generally better than in Windows. (pwhodges is probably correct about esoteric or proprietary stuff).

Case in point: I can use any Bluetooth earpiece with my Linux machine and it "just works." I tried to connect a Bluetooth earpiece to a Windows machine about four years ago, and Windows wanted me to install a specific driver from the specific earpiece's manufacturer, when their website was defunct. Same earpiece works fine in Linux, because it's all standards-based protocols, nothing manufacturer-specific about it; for some reason Windows can't implement a simple protocol despite charging me $60 for the privilege of using it.

In fact, even XBox controllers (which run over USB) work at least as well in Linux as in Windows.

Monk Ed
Sunshine Administrator
Sunshine Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Monk Ed » Wed Jun 03, 2015 12:20 am

View Original Postdrinian wrote:In fact, even XBox controllers (which run over USB) work at least as well in Linux as in Windows.

Yeah, but how much can you do with 'em? Linux gaming still hasn't really taken off compared to Windows last I checked.
System Administrator
"NGE is like a perfectly improvised jazz piece. It builds on a standard and then plays off it from there, and its developments may occasionally recall what it's done before as a way of keeping the whole concatenated." -- Eva Yojimbo
"To me watching anime is not just for killing time or entertainment, it is a life style, and a healthy one too." -- symbv
"That sounds like the kind of science that makes absolutely 0 sense when you stop and think about it... I LOVE IT." -- Rosenakahara

Ornette
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Ornette » Wed Jun 03, 2015 12:47 am

View Original PostMonk Ed wrote:Yeah, but how much can you do with 'em? Linux gaming still hasn't really taken off compared to Windows last I checked.

Not sure how much this relates to the original analogy. And even the clarification seemed off, since to me landing an "OS" plane at an airport was a perfect analogy for the architecture that the OS (plane) runs on, as opposed to software, or peripherals, or standards, which can be attributed to the original analogy as pilots, flight attendants or structural upgrades (not in any order). The analogy about airlines/OSes dates way, way back. Way before linux was more than a pet project and macos was a novelty because of its UI.

But we've veered enough off of the original topic.

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Fri Jun 12, 2015 5:57 pm

The exorcism of a stupidity: Microsoft now classifies as malware most versions of the Ask toobar that Oracle bundles with Java updates.

[url]http://arstechnica.com/security/2015/06/ding-dong-the-witch-is-dead-microsoft-av-gets-tough-on-ask-toolbar/[/url]

Return to “Completely and Utterly Off-Topic”