Every time you watch EoE...

This is the place to start: Feel free to introduce yourself, have general conversations and casual discussions about all things Evangelion, including chit-chatty topics like "Sachiel is adorable" or "Which Eva kicks the most ass?"

Moderator: Board Staff

Clover
Leliel
Leliel

Every time you watch EoE...

•      
  •      

Postby Clover » Sun May 01, 2011 10:02 am

You are being brainwashed into buying Eva figurines.
SPOILER: Show

These are snapshots from the epileptic sequence near the end of the movie.
This is why Gainax made so much money.

Leighton
Lilith

Re: Every time you watch EoE...

•      
  •      

Postby Leighton » Sun May 01, 2011 10:19 am

View Original PostClover wrote:You are being brainwashed into buying Eva figurines.

These are snapshots from the epileptic sequence near the end of the movie.
This is why Gainax made so much money.

Erm tell me if im missing something but i don't remotely see how these epileptic shots make me want to buy a figurine! (I applaud your efforts on obtaining the screen shots though)

AND do you have a hi-res pic of your avatar? It always gets a maniacal laugh out of me.
Last edited by Leighton on Sun May 01, 2011 10:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

Eva Yojimbo
Redbeard
Redbeard

•      
  •      

Postby Eva Yojimbo » Sun May 01, 2011 10:19 am

They didn't work very well on me...
Cinelogue & Forced Perspective Cinema
^ Writing as Jonathan Henderson ^
We're all adrift on the stormy seas of Evangelion, desperately trying to gather what flotsam can be snatched from the gale into a somewhat seaworthy interpretation so that we can at last reach the shores of reason and respite. - ObsessiveMathsFreak
Jimbo has posted enough to be considered greater than or equal to everyone, and or synonymous with the concept of 'everyone'. - Muggy
I've seen so many changeful years, / to Earth I am a stranger grown: / I wander in the ways of men, / alike unknowing and unknown: / Unheard, unpitied, unrelieved, / I bear alone my load of care; / For silent, low, on beds of dust, / Lie all that would my sorrows share. - Robert Burns' Lament for James

C.A.P.
Wabbit Duelist
Wabbit Duelist

•      
  •      

Postby C.A.P. » Sun May 01, 2011 10:26 am

Miasto's picture is the only one that doesn't have its' colors inverted.

:chinscratch:
"Free-associative internet ravings know no proprietors."-Azathoth
"Cinema's value is that it is inhuman."-chee
"I only meant to stay a while."-ELO

Shogo-Kun
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby Shogo-Kun » Sun May 01, 2011 10:28 am

Damn, thought this was gonna be a joke thread........ Oh well, might as well start now!

...EVA-01 gets a serious boner!
NGE was a damned good anime
EoE was an anime masterpiece
And Rebuild is nothing short of epic
Long live the EVAs!!

AVATAR Oreo Nakamura, Light and Dark

The Eva Monkey
IT'S OVER 9000!!!
IT'S OVER 9000!!!

•      
  •      

Postby The Eva Monkey » Sun May 01, 2011 10:29 am

Confirmed.

I found one of those screen shots in there.

MIND. BLOWN.

Xard
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Xard » Sun May 01, 2011 10:37 am

More proof Anno wanted to surpass Tomino, even in the [s:3joziew1]BUY MORE GUNPLA[/s:3joziew1] BUY MORE BANDAGED REIS category

Clover
Leliel
Leliel

•      
  •      

Postby Clover » Sun May 01, 2011 10:42 am

View Original PostLeighton wrote:Erm tell me if im missing something but i don't remotely see how these epileptic shots make me want to buy a figurine! (I applaud your efforts on obtaining the screen shots though)

AND do you have a hi-res pic of your avatar? It always gets a maniacal laugh out of me.
I wasn't serious about the whole subliminal advertisement thing. Also, maybe. I can always remake it.
I'm sure you all know about the cup of water in the background for about 100 frames.

And this slipped into a frame

And Misato breaking down and crying in the background while Shinji steps over the threshold.

And Asuka's stuffed monkey being ripped

Kendrix
Defender of Puppy Boy
Defender of Puppy Boy

•      
  •      

Postby Kendrix » Sun May 01, 2011 11:23 am

The "Cup of Water" looks like Rei's beaker to me.
That scene is ful of the weirdest artistic elements (blurred pictures, pictures splattered with red, pictures that appear to have been "scratched")

The figurines are probably meant to be some random modern art/ other style/ different perception of the emergent hive mind - when everything is done merging, we get live action.

Lol at the random "SEX". There are probably lots of such goodies to be found in that thene - eithat that, or it's from the mindrape, which also had "Sex" written across the screen a few times...

Later in that sequence, there are tons of sorta undefined naked women and a scets with a chicks legs and a spiral of mentrual blood of all things...

I wonder what the script says to all of this/ I'm dying to get that far with the commentary...
I wanted to try harvesting the rice

I wanted to hold Tsubame more

I wanted to stay together forever with the boy I like

The Eva Monkey
IT'S OVER 9000!!!
IT'S OVER 9000!!!

•      
  •      

Postby The Eva Monkey » Sun May 01, 2011 11:28 am

View Original PostClover wrote:Every time you watch EoE... You are being brainwashed into buying Eva figurines.

Thanks for the find. I updated Eva Monkey in your honor:

http://www.evamonkey.com/subliminal-advertising-in-the-end-of-evangelion/

Kendrix
Defender of Puppy Boy
Defender of Puppy Boy

•      
  •      

Postby Kendrix » Sun May 01, 2011 11:49 am

Evangelion is just full of awesomew stuff to discover.
For example, if you pause at the right moments during the mind rape, you find scarily-lit doll faces, which also look like babies and illustrate Asuka's fear to become a mother.
Or a mysterious full-body shot of an Elderly man - Could be her father, the one time we see him (from behind, at that!) he seems to have have had grey hair by the time Asuka was a kid. (Or is he blonde and the lighting is to blame? It's lighter than Mini!Asuka's hair so it can't be black or brown. )Must be some dirty old bastard, enough of one to fuck in the room next to his kid daughter. He might've kicked the bucket by the time of the series, explaining why only the stepmother phones Asuka.

Also, sublimal ads dun work and Anno is not the person to tell u to buy merchandise. He is, however, quite the modern artist. EoE is FULL of such stuff.

Jayfive
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby Jayfive » Sun May 01, 2011 12:20 pm

Nice find, indeed a spectuaclar find.

Though anything to do with subliminal images or sounds freaks me the hell out. Even reading about supposed messages in songs played backwards gives me the willies.

Leighton
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Leighton » Sun May 01, 2011 12:22 pm

But i can't see how they look like figures...

liquidus118
Zeruel
Zeruel

•      
  •      

Postby liquidus118 » Sun May 01, 2011 12:25 pm

View Original PostJayfive wrote:Nice find, indeed a spectuaclar find.

Though anything to do with subliminal images or sounds freaks me the hell out. Even reading about supposed messages in songs played backwards gives me the willies.

Have you ever played Silent Hill 4? I saw a youtube video once in which the song Room of Angel was played backwards and it sounded a lot like it said "Kill your parents in bed tonight" or something like that. It was probably the power of suggestion, though. Either way it creeped me the hell out for a couple of days.

OT: That's strange, if it was intended to sell figures. I can't place my finger on what it is, but something about it feels contradictory to End of Evangelion as a whole.

Also, that image with the upside-down Eva 01 looks incredibly bizarre to me for some reason.

Azathoth
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Azathoth » Sun May 01, 2011 12:43 pm

Just a thought: the cup of water is from Rei's room; could it be intended to demonstrate that the sequence is part of Rei's consciousness? Light and deep water, or something like that...
Nothing is so valuable that it need not be started afresh, nothing is so rich that it need not be enriched constantly.

Kendrix
Defender of Puppy Boy
Defender of Puppy Boy

•      
  •      

Postby Kendrix » Sun May 01, 2011 12:51 pm

Just a thought: the cup of water is from Rei's room; could it be intended to demonstrate that the sequence is part of Rei's consciousness? Light and deep water, or something like that...

And what would the other images imply then? I don't think it's more than just another image from the show.

Oh, just for those interested, some of my finds from episode 22.
The creepy Baby dolls, probably meant to illustrate Asuka's fear of Dolls/ motherhood:
(Warning, those are EXTREMELY creepy):
[spoiler]
[URL=http://img829.imageshack.us/i/babykr.png/]Image[/URL]
[URL=http://img824.imageshack.us/i/creepydoll.png/]Image[/URL]

To tie in with the "fear of motherhood", here's... An emryo with a huge eye?
[URL=http://img713.imageshack.us/i/90601629.png/]Image[/URL]

The old man's silhouette and below, for sake of comparision, our only comfirmed glimpse of Mr. Langley (His hairstyle reminds me of Fuyu):
[URL=http://img860.imageshack.us/i/oldman.png/]Image[/URL]
[URL=http://img845.imageshack.us/i/langley.png/]Image[/URL]

Something that looks like the windows of an expensive mansion seen from the perspective of a small child. Are those the windows of the house of Asuka's parents?
[URL=http://img685.imageshack.us/i/windowgu.png/]Image[/URL]

A... Triangle? Could also be a naked, female leg. Did little Asuka walk on on her father... getting at it with his new wife/was that trauma involved with the rejection of the plushie? They had sex within earshot of her, so I wouldn't put it past them to forget locking the door:
[URL=http://img821.imageshack.us/i/trianglex.png/]Image[/URL]

I have no idea what that is. Just a random psychedelic image, or do I see unit 02 in there?
[URL=http://img814.imageshack.us/i/wtfcr.png/]Image[/URL]
[/spoiler]

This is also from EoE:
German text à la ep 22.
This says "Die!" but it's aparent that they used Google translate or something. It's the "polite form" of it, more like "Would you please like to die, Miss?" I think "stirb!" (simple, old, "Die!") might've been more accurate.
[spoiler][URL=http://img508.imageshack.us/i/42251028.png/]Image[/URL]

The second word here is "kill". Not sure about the first one, Asuka's eye is in the way. Could be "dich" (=a form of "you")
[URL=http://img850.imageshack.us/i/23040586.png/]Image[/URL]

This says "Don't kill".
[URL=http://img854.imageshack.us/i/18146440.png/]Image[/URL]

[/spoiler]

Azathoth
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Azathoth » Sun May 01, 2011 1:00 pm

View Original PostKendrix wrote:And what would the other images imply then? I don't think it's more than just another image from the show.

I don't know. The scene is spatially located inside Rei's head, however, and the length for which that particular image persists suggests to me that it's important.
Nothing is so valuable that it need not be started afresh, nothing is so rich that it need not be enriched constantly.

Kendrix
Defender of Puppy Boy
Defender of Puppy Boy

•      
  •      

Postby Kendrix » Sun May 01, 2011 1:06 pm

View Original PostAzathoth wrote:I don't know. The scene is spatially located inside Rei's head, however, and the length for which that particular image persists suggests to me that it's important.

Asuka's monkey/bear persists even longer.
Also, it's not just the beaker, it's a "screenshot" of that part of Rei's apparment, including some bandages and the fridge all is standing on.

Also, the dialogue (which sorta has more to say than a few images they put in there just for the geeks) makes is pretty clear that this is Shinji's PoV

Aozora
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Aozora » Sun May 01, 2011 9:22 pm

View Original PostKendrix wrote:

This is also from EoE:
German text à la ep 22.
This says "Die!" but it's aparent that they used Google translate or something. It's the "polite form" of it, more like "Would you please like to die, Miss?" I think "stirb!" (simple, old, "Die!") might've been more accurate.

The politeness sounds in line with the Japanese "Issho ni shinde choudai" that Kyoko says.

The Eva Monkey
IT'S OVER 9000!!!
IT'S OVER 9000!!!

•      
  •      

Postby The Eva Monkey » Sun May 01, 2011 9:46 pm

So I broke out my copy of E-Mono, and I found the exact same Misato figure. Didn't look for the others, but yeah, an actual official Evangelion figure.

Return to “Evangelion General and Chit-Chat”