What's the most emotional scene in NGE?

This is the place to start: Feel free to introduce yourself, have general conversations and casual discussions about all things Evangelion, including chit-chatty topics like "Sachiel is adorable" or "Which Eva kicks the most ass?"

Moderator: Board Staff

Stryker
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

What's the most emotional scene in NGE?

•      
  •      

Postby Stryker » Sun Apr 24, 2011 8:32 am

Hm, I'm starting to like these "question" styled threads.

Me, its very close between Rei II and Asuka's death.

What gets me all teary about Rei II isn't the fact that she dies, but she dies unhappily (as I observe). Sure, she has realized that she has done the right thing, but she didn't want to. She realizes that she is lonely, and she wants someone to be with. And she got so close to getting that, but instead she gets killed. And yeah, maybe she did come back, but she "didn't". That was someone else. Even Shinji was like, "What happened to her? She isn't... herself.." Oh, but it gets worse. Rei was tortured(?) by Armisael. From being raped (mind... and perhaps through her Eva), to watching Shinji being injured (noticing that it is her face (or more) reaching from the Angel and onto the Angel. It made her feel as if it is her fault that Shinji is hurt), and the fact the she couldn't stop it. She felt helpless, except for the only way she (and we; perhaps there was another way) saw: blowing herself to smithereens. Haha, she exploded, pain and all. Fun way to die, huh? Lets go back to mind-rape part (the part Asuka's death lacks). Armisael explains that it is in pain, the pain that is loneliness. (I think) It points out that Rei and she(?) are feeling the same way, and that they could escape the pain by having each other. But both of them knew that wasn't going to happen. Hell, for as far as we know, the only semi-confirmed reason that the Angels were trying to initiate 3I was to get rid of the lilim, because they could not co-exist with each other. To the point, Rei (whether she realized it or not) was going to be used to bring back the Angels (the Angel tree, [s]we[/s] I haven't figured out what the hell it does. Perhaps it was to bring back the Angels). Thats not really fair, is it? How come Armisael gets to bring back all its friends, but Rei doesn't. Then the horrible truth is revealed: Her only friend is Shinji (And Gendo if you don't consider him as a father-figure to Rei). I have a relatively hard time trying to explain this bit here, so perhaps you could help with that?

Now, to Asuka's death. The most ironic thing about it is that usually, determination is what brings you to victory. Yeah.. not here. It was what killed her. Had she not reach out, vowing revenge, she might of actually got it. I don't care how smart those MPE's are, they would of thought she was dead before she moved. She didn't need to die just yet. To add, Asuka was probably at her best at that moment. Her spirits were higher then in any part of the series (and probably combined). She was unbeatable. On the other hand, Rei was literally sitting there. True, she was using all her might and A.T Field to force Armisael out, but she was in better spirits, and I think she could have done better. I think in combat, Asuka was better in combat then Rei (sure, Rei saved her ass, but Asuka was a loner anyways. She was ready to die), yet she died a painful, mortifying death that would of broken anyone (probably why she had to die. I don't think she could of lived with herself after that). Back to the point, she was at the point of winning, but instead of winning, she gets shot down (if you may) by the Lance, eaten alive (basically), only to be stabbed again by multiple Lances, one splitting her arm in half. I guess its a reoccurring in NGE, having Asuka get shot down every time (or not) she was going to win. the And.. drum-roll please.. Shinji was watching. Yeah, maybe Shinji witnessed Rei's death, but it was a huge explosion, with light and dust in his eyes, shielding the horror of Eva-00 being destroyed. Shinji visibly watched Asuka have all the horrible things happen to her. Sure, it doesn't have a mind-rape scene, but she's already had hers (Arael), no need for two (Hell, if she had two, I wonder how she'd turn out).

In the end, Asuka wins this (I'm saying this as a R/S shipper, FYI), because she died a painful death, with a false hope that she can't lose, only to die needlessly (with her potential boyfriend watching). But the good part is that she comes back, as her usual self (as far as we know it), to live on to be the awesome person she is/will become (and Rei doesn't, how great). And you, whats the most emotional scene (keep in mind emotional doesn't always mean sad.. but you probably knew that).

Picture+Song=Teary eyes
The Moats of Quotes
"Life is becoming more and more indistinguishable from Onion articles." ~Monk Ed
"Oh my gods, that is awesome. I am inclined to forgive both Grant and the dub in general for that." ~Bagheera
"I don't try to engage in intelligent conversation here anymore."~Chee
"Look, if loving a clone of your mom is wrong, I don't wanna be right." ~Chuckman

|Why angels fight.|What Bagheera is talking about.|

Oz
Finland Miracle
Finland Miracle

•      
  •      

Postby Oz » Sun Apr 24, 2011 8:59 am

The hospital scene in End of Evangelion.
"I'd really like to have as much money as you have, Oz" - robersora
"No you wouldn't. Oz's secret is he goes without food to buy that stuff. He hasn't eaten in years." - Brikhaus

"Often I get the feeling that deep down, your little girl is struggling with your embrace of filmfaggotry and your loldeep fixations, and the conflict that arises from such a contradiction is embodied pretty well in Kureha's character. But obviously it's not any sort of internal conflict that makes the analogy work. It's the pigtails." - Merridian
"Oh, Oz, I fear I'm losing my filmfag to the depths of Japanese pop. If only there were more films with Japanese girls in glow-in-the-dark costumes you'd be the David Bordwell of that genre." - Jimbo
"Oz, I think we need to stage an intervention and force you to watch some movies that aren't made in Japan." - Trajan

Kendrix
Defender of Puppy Boy
Defender of Puppy Boy

•      
  •      

Postby Kendrix » Sun Apr 24, 2011 9:24 am

Well, that'd be very hard a choice, Evangelion is one single emotional rolercoaster, I feel I'm doing X-million other moments an injustice if I pick one...

Tough I don't ship S/A, I think the scene before/leading up to the first strangulation in EoE is a powerful moment because you see these two viciously destroying each other... when all they want is to be together, its so heartwrenching!
:shinji_boohoo: :asuka_sad:

But since I have to pick one, I'd say the prize goes to Kaworu's Death.
It's just so evil. Little, depressed Shinji has reached the lowest of the low, everyone who was dear to him is gone, and then, along comes that new kid who totally finds him awesome and wants to be his friend - and then, Shinji has to kill him. After he gave such a ****ing heartwarming speech....
:raincloud:
I wanted to try harvesting the rice

I wanted to hold Tsubame more

I wanted to stay together forever with the boy I like

Fireball
First Ancestor
First Ancestor

•      
  •      

Postby Fireball » Sun Apr 24, 2011 10:38 am

Misato's last moments with Shinji at the elevator.

"I was born into the wrong time" - laughed the girl

「<ゝω・)\綺羅星☆!!/
[/size]

rhfxz1s
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby rhfxz1s » Sun Apr 24, 2011 1:00 pm

If I had to pick one scene that I think everyone could appreciate as being highly emotional (as opposed to ones that were only emotional because they related to my own life) I'd have to go with Komm, süßer Tod in EoE. From the moment Shinji grabs Asuka we're treated to visual extravaganza as the entire world essentially comes to an end. Many of our favorite characters are suddenly degraded to tang and are washed away to some other kind of existence. All the while, the song in the background has a bittersweet sort of feel to it, which makes the entire scene all the more strange and powerful. And when it's all done, we're treated to a mellow and beautiful piano piece real life humans begin to walk across the scene. Suddenly, the viewer is able to relate the perils of the animated Evangelion world to those of the one they live in, and realize that, angels and Evas aside, they actually aren't too different.

Sachi
Oh Daddy!
Oh Daddy!

•      
  •      

Postby Sachi » Sun Apr 24, 2011 1:18 pm

Pretty much all of EoE. Though, if I had to pick one, I'd agree that the Komm Susser Tod/Third Impact scene is the most emotional of the series. That, or the rejection of Instrumentality and the return to Earth.
- Sachi

I host the discord server for the EvaGeeks forums. Join us! https://discord.gg/aBQ3F6M9yp

InstrumentalityOne
Strawberries & Peaches
Strawberries & Peaches

•      
  •      

Postby InstrumentalityOne » Sun Apr 24, 2011 2:36 pm

End of EvaTV, especially when the orchestrated OP theme kicks in.
Then Komm Susser Tod.
But I wonder if Tsubasa wo Kudasai counts though...

Ornette
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Ornette » Sun Apr 24, 2011 2:37 pm

There's also this old thread: http://forum.evageeks.org/viewtopic.php?t=1629

Stryker
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

•      
  •      

Postby Stryker » Sun Apr 24, 2011 2:44 pm

Old thread is old, and it has quote pyramids. Only foos like quote pyramids.
The Moats of Quotes
"Life is becoming more and more indistinguishable from Onion articles." ~Monk Ed
"Oh my gods, that is awesome. I am inclined to forgive both Grant and the dub in general for that." ~Bagheera
"Look, if loving a clone of your mom is wrong, I don't wanna be right." ~Chuckman

toe mash
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

•      
  •      

Postby toe mash » Sun Apr 24, 2011 3:13 pm

EoE elevator scene > Komm Susser Tod > Asuka mind rape > Asuka's death > Rei II's death

For me anyway, more or less. Misato is my favorite character so that scene (i.e elevator) hit me pretty hard, and I think it's overall one of the best scenes in NGE since it's just plain unfiltered raw emotion. Not to mention the testicle crushingly sad rhythm-only version of Thanatos..

Hexon.Arq
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby Hexon.Arq » Sun Apr 24, 2011 3:18 pm

The Dummy Plug scene was the first really intense moment of the show for me; I nearly vomited. After that happened I felt like I had an idea of what I was in for, so subsequent events didn't have a huge emotional impact on me and I was able to just enjoy the ride. Episode 26 felt like a great day in church and I watched it three times in a row on my first viewing, so that would probably be second, followed by the shutdown of Instrumentality/Yui's monologue sequence at the end of EoE.

_you can't do anything, so don't even try
_get some help
_don't do what sonic does

Stryker
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

•      
  •      

Postby Stryker » Sun Apr 24, 2011 3:20 pm

View Original Posttoe mash wrote:Not to mention the testicle crushingly sad rhythm-only version of Thanatos..

I found this version of Thanatos, and oh my rogering god, it is amazing. Listen in.
The Moats of Quotes

Hexon.Arq
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby Hexon.Arq » Sun Apr 24, 2011 3:26 pm

View Original PostStryker wrote:I found this version of Thanatos, and oh my rogering god, it is amazing. Listen in.

That album is sex. (Well, the non-vocal portions, anyway.) "I Shinji" and "Borderline Case" kept me awake at night for weeks.

_you can't do anything, so don't even try
_get some help
_don't do what sonic does

toe mash
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

•      
  •      

Postby toe mash » Sun Apr 24, 2011 3:49 pm

View Original PostStryker wrote:I found this version of Thanatos, and oh my rogering god, it is amazing. Listen in.

When I was in that infamous NGE-mania phase after completing the seriesm, I'd surf youtube for hours checking any OST related to the series. I also happened to stumble upon that particular version of it. It's really great :)

Stryker
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

•      
  •      

Postby Stryker » Sun Apr 24, 2011 4:03 pm

View Original Posttoe mash wrote:When I was in that infamous NGE-mania phase after completing the seriesm, I'd surf youtube for hours checking any OST related to the series. I also happened to stumble upon that particular version of it. It's really great :)

Oh, I always like OSTs (often better then radio music). I constantly search for OSTs of games, movies, series, bananas and everything else you can think can have an OST (which includes real life: its called X-ray Dog, Immediate Music, and Future World Music).
The Moats of Quotes

child of Lilith
Celestial Serendipity
Celestial Serendipity

•      
  •      

Postby child of Lilith » Sun Apr 24, 2011 4:25 pm

It's really hard to pick, but I think the death of Rei II would be at the top of my list.
Last edited by child of Lilith on Sun Apr 24, 2011 9:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Let the right one in. Let the old dreams die. Let the wrong ones go. They cannot do, what you want them to do."- Morrissey, Let the Right One Slip In

"Happy people can be so cruel"- Claudia, Silent Hill 3

"everlasting, true love, I am yours"- Rule of Rose

Trajan
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby Trajan » Sun Apr 24, 2011 4:43 pm

Well, for me it would have to be...

Third Impact
Kaji's death and Misato's reaction
Kaworu's death
Shinji going berserk Shamshel
Asuka's mind rape / Asuka's death
The Dummy Plug demolishing Bardiel
Shinji choking Asuka (which is exclusive from Third Impact IMO)
Rei's death(s)
Movin' Right Along
"Everything has its beauty but not everyone sees it." - Confucius
"All styles are good except the tiresome kind." - Voltaire

Rei Makes You Go Splat
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Rei Makes You Go Splat » Sun Apr 24, 2011 8:31 pm

Wow. Simply too beautiful. ;_;

The elevator scene in EoE. The lighting, the dialog, the music, and that last soul-crushing event. Simply perfect.
Evangelion extends life. Evangelion expands consciousness.

Knuckles
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby Knuckles » Sun Apr 24, 2011 8:33 pm

The elevator scene in EoE for me as well.

Not only was it the most raw and honest dialogue in the entire series, it's exactly what Shinji needed to hear. Then there was that kiss... so powerful and real, given the context of the scene. It was such a long time coming, and it was worth the wait. It definitely shook Shinji out of his slump and had him wiping his tears away.

Then came the icing on the most-emotional-scene-in-evangelion cake: Shinji sees Misato's blood in his mouth, and realizes he's never going to see her again. He breaks right back down again, even worse than before. Just wow.
"It doesn't matter. This is all I need.."
"Rei is genetically his mom, socially his friend/coworker/classmate, legally his sister, spiritually the progenitor of the entire 'normal' biosphere, physically a mass of matter that ought not be, and technically (depending on which Rei we're talking about) also some form of the risen dead.

...and I still like Shinji/Rei."

Oz
Finland Miracle
Finland Miracle

•      
  •      

Postby Oz » Sun Apr 24, 2011 10:57 pm

No one reacted to my post? Is it because it is a weak troll or because everyone just assumed I really meant it? :facepalm:
"I'd really like to have as much money as you have, Oz" - robersora
"No you wouldn't. Oz's secret is he goes without food to buy that stuff. He hasn't eaten in years." - Brikhaus

"Often I get the feeling that deep down, your little girl is struggling with your embrace of filmfaggotry and your loldeep fixations, and the conflict that arises from such a contradiction is embodied pretty well in Kureha's character. But obviously it's not any sort of internal conflict that makes the analogy work. It's the pigtails." - Merridian
"Oh, Oz, I fear I'm losing my filmfag to the depths of Japanese pop. If only there were more films with Japanese girls in glow-in-the-dark costumes you'd be the David Bordwell of that genre." - Jimbo
"Oz, I think we need to stage an intervention and force you to watch some movies that aren't made in Japan." - Trajan

Return to “Evangelion General and Chit-Chat”