[LAEM] Director?

The place for all of the old Live Action Evangelion Movie threads.
EVA-01X
Sandalphon
Sandalphon

Postby EVA-01X » Mon Jul 12, 2004 11:02 pm

Just for the record I want to say that I think that you would make a great Director. Now as for Peter Jackson being ruled for Franchise mode..... DAMN IT ALL! He was my second choice after EM.... Hmm... How about George Lucas? (Ducks to avoid flying fruit he knows is coming his way)
The demon returns after a long slumber....
http://www.evamade.org/user.php?id.161
New Signature Image Policy
^Clicky for Evamade!

coff
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

Postby coff » Mon Jul 12, 2004 11:04 pm

Can't say I blame him. I think it took him like 10 years to do LOTR.

As for AvP. I think it looks pretty cool, but after seeing the trailer I was a little bit dissapointed. I thought they would make it more like the games with marines and stuff.

Dave
Lilin
Lilin

Postby Dave » Mon Jul 12, 2004 11:44 pm

Whoever directs this film (if it is even going to be made) I hope that person talks A LOT with Anno. Too bad Anno won't direct this movie, I've heard some of his live action films are quite good.
Beatus vir qui suffert tentationem.

Timesplitter 01
Lilin
Lilin

Postby Timesplitter 01 » Tue Jul 13, 2004 12:33 am

Dave wrote:Whoever directs this film (if it is even going to be made) I hope that person talks A LOT with Anno. Too bad Anno won't direct this movie, I've heard some of his live action films are quite good.

I have also heard that Anno live action films are quite good. I think I have seen a review some where about one of his live action fils , I can not remeber where though
*Timesplitter hits himself over the head trying to remember, all that he does is knock him self out * huhuh.......
I have too much anime, yet it's not enough. Anime Addict, if it were a drug; I'd be dead.

aranami
Adam

Postby aranami » Tue Jul 13, 2004 11:17 am

I bet M. Night Shyamalan would be good. His movies are all strange

The Village, Signs, Unbreakable, The Sixth Sense

EVA-01X
Sandalphon
Sandalphon

Postby EVA-01X » Tue Jul 13, 2004 12:07 pm

He would also take most of the movies budget though.... but it would be good thats for sure.
^Clicky for Evamade!

Hunter21
Pilot
Pilot

Postby Hunter21 » Tue Jul 13, 2004 3:36 pm

You can eliminate spielberg from the list, he and Eastwood are going to be making a movie about Iwo Jima for the next 2 years, and as for Lucas he is in the middle of the latest star wars debacle (loved the original 3, last two have been just OK).
EVANGERIONANIME is stupid

Come Join the Sakaki Fan Club!

Remember you're on Evageeks, where preset personal delusions outweigh reality.

EVA-01X
Sandalphon
Sandalphon

Postby EVA-01X » Tue Jul 13, 2004 5:17 pm

As in Clint Eastwood? Hmm.. have to see this one. BTW Does anybody know just WHO GAINAX picked for the job?
^Clicky for Evamade!

coff
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

Postby coff » Tue Jul 13, 2004 5:29 pm

EVA-01X wrote: BTW Does anybody know just WHO GAINAX picked for the job?

The job of directing the live action movie? I would say nobody.

Esion
Sachiel

Postby Esion » Tue Jul 13, 2004 5:37 pm

Timesplitter 01 wrote:
Dave wrote:Whoever directs this film (if it is even going to be made) I hope that person talks A LOT with Anno. Too bad Anno won't direct this movie, I've heard some of his live action films are quite good.

I have also heard that Anno live action films are quite good. I think I have seen a review some where about one of his live action fils , I can not remeber where though
*Timesplitter hits himself over the head trying to remember, all that he does is knock him self out * huhuh.......

Anno made "Shiki-Jitsu" (Ceremonial Day) and "Love and Pop".

It's really too bad Anno won't take the job.

Picture from Shiki-Jistu. Remind you of anything?

PS. Anno Hideaki's website
Yea and God said to Abraham, "You will kill your son Issac." And Abraham said, "I can't hear you, you'll have to speak into the microphone." And God said, "Oh I'm sorry, Is this better? Check, check, check... Jerry, pull the high end out, I'm still getting some hiss back here."

Hexon.Arq
Pilot
Pilot

Postby Hexon.Arq » Wed Jul 14, 2004 6:51 pm

Someone mentioned James Cameron. What exactly is the story with Battle Angel Alita? Since that seems to be in the works, I guess he can be counted out. Taking that project into consideration, this might be one of those instances like the Godzilla/Mighy Joe Young/Delayed P.J. King Kong project that would have been released right about now summer. If another anime adaptation project is proposed, one of them might just get delayed as King Kong was, or nixed entirely.

The question now isn't who would be good, but firstly who would be interested. Since all the biggies mentioned above seem to be occupied elsewhere, it almost looks certain that the director will either come out of the B-slot or the indie-field. Since I don't know just how antsy ADV is to get this project underway, someone might even say, "Cool, I'll do it... as soon as I finish this," and then we'll see the Eva teaser trailer twelve years from now.

Another factor of directors' interest is the fact that ADV is financing the picture. Despite the cinematically grandiose concept and the effects team already tied to it, a directorial biggie might be a little put off from the whole thing in general based on the present absence of one of the Seven Giants (Buena Vista, Warner Bros., MGM, Fox, Universal, Sony, Paramount) . Of course, this is assuming ADV plans to not only produce the film, but distribute it as well. It's still possible that even ADV will go and, after finding a director, propose their project to one of these goliaths. (In fact, a reputable director might be what ADV is waiting for.)But for now, the project, by virtue of its parents' images on the Western front, might look a too iffy for someone to go and try to balance their career on it. Which is why I say, if you can easily pull his or her name off the top of your head, they probably won't be directing.

Tarentino, based on his views of big-budget films as well as the fact that he likes to number his projects, is a definite no-no, granted he would have been nice.

Sam Raimi, I believe, will be making Spidey movies 'till Harry Potter dies. And if he's not, I still say 'no'. Spiderman is Spiderman. Anyone who wants an Eva movie that "feels" like an Eva movie would probably kick themselves for recommending him. (In other words, I thought number 2 sucked. Punch me.)

Spielberg and Eastwood: out.

The Watchowski Brothers. There's been a lot of debate on whether or not they could pull it off. Most say, ""HELL NO!" The only work I've seen from them was the Matrix trilogy, and I have to agree with the majority. However, I have heard of a nifty little film they did before that, which I'll have to check out. Despite the apparent opposition to them taking on the project, their enthusiasm for the medium from whence Evangelion descends makes them a bigger possibility than most. Bigger may not be better, but since I haven't heard about anything else on their horizon, I can assume that they are at least a footnote on GAINAX's list.

I once suggested Kathryn Bigelow (Strange Days, K-19 The Widowmaker), but in retrospect, I think she might be a bit too flashy. I have to admit, K-19 is sitting on my shelf right now and I still haven't seen it, so I probably shouldn't say anything. I thoroughly enjoyed Strange Days, however. As flashy as it was, it had a familiar tone that spoke of the best of the early-90s, smack-dab in the mid-90s. And, personally, I'd rather Eva be closer to something like Ninja Turtles than something like Underworld.

Hmm, Aaron Clark seems too busy going to school and working on his site. Oh, and he also expresses no desire to direct a major motion picture; you kind of have to want to do it before you can. :cry: :wink: Though, Aaron, if you aren't somehow involved in the film when all is said and done, I'll be really surprised. Don't expect a call, but be available.

I'd direct the movie, except I'm still trying to learn how. I don't think anyone is willing to wait that long. Life sucks that way. (Though, if this is an utter disappointment and a flop, I can't promise that an old gray man won't try to revive the license.)

And if anyone suggests Roland Emmerich, even as a joke, you will be banned.

Basically, the heartbeat I see of sucessfully pulling off the Anno magic without outright copying him would be someone who has had experience in both winter and summer films. Though it's unlikely to hire two distinct visionaries just to cater to some angry fans, the film's distinct texture could be derived from a film that has mind-blowing action scenes on which it doesn't linger. The grittiness disappears when one would edit out a drive-conversational in favor a longer battle sequence. I haven't got a strong root in foreign films, but judging from what has come out of my native States in the past few years, the problem is not that our films are trying to be too much to too many, but that they end up being only one thing with all the universal trimmings: makeup on actresses when they would not logically have access to any make-up. Overly dramatic pauses followed by angry looks and snappy quirks that are supposed to make everyone go "Woaaaahh...", and that one completely logic-defying stunt that makes every idiot teenager break his arm in his front yard (not to mention his dad's Toyota.)

But the question is who? WHO??!!
Last edited by Hexon.Arq on Thu Jul 22, 2004 12:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

EVA-01X
Sandalphon
Sandalphon

Postby EVA-01X » Wed Jul 14, 2004 6:59 pm

I think we can all agree on the fact that whoever does it it will be hard to pull of no matter what.
^Clicky for Evamade!

Crazyman42
Lilith

Postby Crazyman42 » Wed Jul 14, 2004 7:44 pm

And if anyone suggests Roland Emmerich, even as a joke, you will be banned.
He's not as bad as Lucas EVA-01X you better run, very very fast.

Now personally I think Jackson would be a good choice and I know he doesn't want to do another big series of movies, but he's really into monsters and I think the angels and the Eva's will definitly catch his interest. Also, he would use a minature for tokyo-3 which would work 10-times better than CG.

As much as I love eastwood and adore him this movie isn't his style. Speilberg Maybe.

M. Night Shyamalan is an awesome director, but he's a suspense director, Evangelion needs someone who can play with emotions.

I'm a huge Terintino fan, but his movies use dilogue that is off topic and yet on topic, he also likes to you HIS ORGINAL idea's. I love him, but I don't think he's the right man for the job.

Sam Raimi is a maybe, though he really needs to learn how to use special effects the RIGHT way.

I would love if Ridley Scott directed Evangelion!

Robert Roderiguiz is a maybe...

The Wachowski Bros. are amazing, just give them a budget less than 100 million and they'll make a good movie.

One thing, I WANT WALTER MURCH TO EDIT!

EVA-01X
Sandalphon
Sandalphon

Postby EVA-01X » Wed Jul 14, 2004 8:21 pm

Ah.. let him do his worst! (Don't take that littterly EM though)
Just who is Walter Murich?
^Clicky for Evamade!

Crazyman42
Lilith

Postby Crazyman42 » Wed Jul 14, 2004 8:47 pm

Walter Murch edited the Godfather trilogy along with Apocolypse now and other movies. He's considered the best editor ever.

EVA-01X
Sandalphon
Sandalphon

Postby EVA-01X » Wed Jul 14, 2004 9:44 pm

Ah I see. Just what does an Editor do though?
^Clicky for Evamade!

houtaru
Lilith

Postby houtaru » Thu Jul 15, 2004 4:07 am

crazyman42 wrote:I would love if Ridley Scott directed Evangelion!

I second that. Great visual director, but as long as he focuses on the characters, i'll be happy. I dont like Rodriguez or The Wachoski Brothers. (I thought the Matrix was overrated). Spielberg would be great, but the Eva story may be too dark for him. This may have been already mentioned but what about David Fincher (Seven, Alien3, Fight Club). I like Ang Lee. The Hulk, however, was a really weak film I thought but I'd give him a chance. I hope its not some boring director i've never heard of. What about Alfonso Curon who directed Harry Potter 3? I thought HP3 was much better than the first two.

Esion
Sachiel

Postby Esion » Thu Jul 15, 2004 4:22 am

EVA-01X wrote:Ah I see. Just what does an Editor do though?

An editor takes the roughly completed film and puts it together to become the finished product. They cut out things and connect the peices of film so that they fit well. Editing is the polishing process of film making, possibly one of the most important things. It's usually when they add the little touches that can make or break a film, that would be very important for an Eva film. They make little fixes as well.

An editor edits the film ;).
Yea and God said to Abraham, "You will kill your son Issac." And Abraham said, "I can't hear you, you'll have to speak into the microphone." And God said, "Oh I'm sorry, Is this better? Check, check, check... Jerry, pull the high end out, I'm still getting some hiss back here."

Shinseki
Embryo

Postby Shinseki » Thu Jul 15, 2004 12:02 pm

Hunter21 wrote:You can eliminate spielberg from the list, he and Eastwood are going to be making a movie about Iwo Jima for the next 2 years, and as for Lucas he is in the middle of the latest star wars debacle (loved the original 3, last two have been just OK).

I thought Spielberg would've been a good choice due to his experience in science fiction movies (Jurassic Park, Minority Report). After all, on the surface, Eva is going to look like a sci fi movie. But, he probably moved on from that 'phase' in his career and is doing more of the historical fiction-type of stories like Iwo Jima. I bet he enjoyed working on Saving Private Ryan very much too.
Image Image Image

Crazyman42
Lilith

Postby Crazyman42 » Thu Jul 15, 2004 5:10 pm

houtaru wrote:
crazyman42 wrote:I would love if Ridley Scott directed Evangelion!

I second that. Great visual director, but as long as he focuses on the characters, i'll be happy. I dont like Rodriguez or The Wachoski Brothers. (I thought the Matrix was overrated). Spielberg would be great, but the Eva story may be too dark for him. This may have been already mentioned but what about David Fincher (Seven, Alien3, Fight Club). I like Ang Lee. The Hulk, however, was a really weak film I thought but I'd give him a chance. I hope its not some boring director i've never heard of. What about Alfonso Curon who directed Harry Potter 3? I thought HP3 was much better than the first two.

Dude, you have awsome taste, though I dissagree with the Rodriguez and the Wachowski Bros. The first Matrix was ingenous and I loved Rodriguez's El Marchi series ( Not Spy Kids!) I like Alfonso Curon, but I hate all the Hp movies period. I mean THE FOURTH ONE IS BEING DIRECTED BY THE GUY WHO DID MONA LISA SMILE!

Return to “Live Action Evangelion Movie”