[LAEM] Director?

The place for all of the old Live Action Evangelion Movie threads.

Moderator: Board Staff

Alaska Slim
Frigus Ignoramus
Frigus Ignoramus

Postby Alaska Slim » Sat May 09, 2009 8:15 pm

I would have liked it to have been Irvin Kershner, he's the kind of guy that focused on characterization, and Evangelion, being the character driven story it is I think would be well within his forte, but he hasn't been active in over ten years. (:|
"Therefore encourage one another and build one another up, just as you are doing." - 1 Thessalonians 5:11

"It is one of the blessings of old friends that you can afford to be stupid with them." -Ralph Waldo Emerson

"God is in his Heaven, and free men walk upon the Earth" - Rev. Robert Sirico, President of the Acton Institute

Guyver Spawn
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

Postby Guyver Spawn » Sat May 09, 2009 9:48 pm

I think JJ can do a good movie of Evangelion since his movies like MI:3, Cloverfiled and the most recent movie like Star Trek where great. I still think Zack would do a great movie of Evangelion seeing how he did a great job on Watchmen and I think he can pull off a solid 3 hour flick on all 26 episodes into one movie.
Xbox live gamertag: Guyver Spawn 27
PSN: Hellspawn28

Alaska Slim
Frigus Ignoramus
Frigus Ignoramus

Postby Alaska Slim » Sat May 09, 2009 10:04 pm

Guyver Spawn wrote:I still think Zack seeing how he did a great job on Watchmen.

Define "great". :ehh:
"Therefore encourage one another and build one another up, just as you are doing." - 1 Thessalonians 5:11

"It is one of the blessings of old friends that you can afford to be stupid with them." -Ralph Waldo Emerson

"God is in his Heaven, and free men walk upon the Earth" - Rev. Robert Sirico, President of the Acton Institute

Guyver Spawn
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

Postby Guyver Spawn » Sat May 09, 2009 10:42 pm

Well the movie got a great reviews and he did a great job flowing the story on all 12 issues. The only thing I don't like about him since is the slow montion from 300.

Timstuff
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

Postby Timstuff » Sat May 09, 2009 10:51 pm

I personally loved Watchmen, but I've seen nothing to suggest that Snyder is the right guy for Evangelion. It's one thing to compress a 150 page graphic novel into a 3 hour movie, but compressing 26 minute episodes of a TV show into a 3 hour movie is totally different. First of all, I think Eva should be a trilogy, but that's beside the point. The point is, you can't take the direct approach with Evangelion, and unfortunately the direct approach is what gets Snyder so much praise. To make a long running series like Evangelion work as a trilogy of 2.5 hour movies, you pretty much have to take the key plot points and then hammer out the details in between. A lot of the show's material will have to be cut or reimagined, and that's not really something I see Snyder excelling at (giant squid removal aside). There's just too much material to cover from the show, and frankly I think I'd get bored if there were no surprises to be had in the new version.
DeviantArt profile being re-invented... Check back later.

backseatjesus
Pilot
Pilot

Postby backseatjesus » Sat May 09, 2009 11:13 pm

Honestly, I think whoever directs it should select a number of Evangelion fans for tips and advice just to please SOME if not MOST of the fans so people won't automatically claim abomination.

Timstuff
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

Postby Timstuff » Sat May 09, 2009 11:43 pm

I'm sure that they'll have consultants, but they're not going to let an oligarchy of fanboys dictate the direction the movie goes in, because if there's one thing about fanboys that's true, it's that you can NEVER please all of them. There's no surefire way to get a hit out of any movie, and the movie will ultimately succeed or fail based on its quality, not how many or few fanboys complained during the production period.

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

Postby Reichu » Sun May 10, 2009 12:31 am

Timstuff wrote:but they're not going to let an oligarchy of fanboys dictate the direction the movie goes in

Oh, you're breaking my balls, Timstuff. You're breaking my balls.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

Timstuff
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

Postby Timstuff » Sun May 10, 2009 1:01 am

Alright then, "fanpeople" for political correctness. :headdesk:

Alaska Slim
Frigus Ignoramus
Frigus Ignoramus

Postby Alaska Slim » Sun May 10, 2009 1:14 am

Reichu wrote:
Timstuff wrote:but they're not going to let an oligarchy of fanboys dictate the direction the movie goes in

Oh, you're breaking my balls, Timstuff. You're breaking my balls.

Well Reichu, to watch and interpret Eva is a man(-ish)'s job. :thumbsup:

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

Postby Reichu » Sun May 10, 2009 1:15 am

backseatjesus actually said "fan" (which is gender neutral) first, and then you appended "-boy" onto it in your response.

Alaska Slim wrote:Well Reichu, to watch and interpret Eva is a man(-ish)'s job. :thumbsup:

That one is getting you a trip to the vet's office for a little snip-snip.

Anyway.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Sun May 10, 2009 1:52 am

Nah. JJ Abrams would not be ideal.

...though to be fair in his favor all of Abram's work is based off Television.

backseatjesus
Pilot
Pilot

Postby backseatjesus » Sun May 10, 2009 2:06 am

Gendo'sPapa wrote:Nah. JJ Abrams would not be ideal.

Some of the people(not actors) from Cloverfield should for sure be involved. The CGI was actually quite good and the atmosphere sort of felt like an Evangelion battle, well, at least to me.

Timstuff
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

Postby Timstuff » Sun May 10, 2009 7:08 am

After Cloverfield (producer) and Star Trek, I would certainly be the last person to complain if Abrams were signed on to direct.

Guyver Spawn
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

Postby Guyver Spawn » Sun May 10, 2009 7:16 pm

Having fanboys to direct a movie would be a awful idea. It bad enough to they make silly fan fictions on the web and a movie would be worst. I think a series of flims would be a cool idea since the first movie will be based on Episode 1-15 while the second movie will be based on Episode 16-24 then the final movie would be based on End of Evangelion.

I doubt Zack will direct it anyways since he is busy with another movie and a 300 sequel also.

backseatjesus
Pilot
Pilot

Postby backseatjesus » Sun May 10, 2009 9:58 pm

Guyver Spawn wrote:Having fanboys to direct a movie would be a awful idea.

I never said a thing about them directing it, I'm talking about tips. Big difference.

Timstuff
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

Postby Timstuff » Sun May 10, 2009 10:54 pm

backseatjesus wrote:
Guyver Spawn wrote:Having fanboys to direct a movie would be a awful idea.

I never said a thing about them directing it, I'm talking about tips. Big difference.

Fan participation already exists with movie adaptations, because it's not like moviemakers are oblivious to what's being said online about their projects. The idea that they need some kind of fanboy council to give their stamp of approval on whatever the director does is a downright bad idea though, because 1) it's impossible to please all fanboys, no matter how hard you try, 2) how the heck would they choose which fanboys to listen to? Will it be the ones with the biggest collections of silly Eva merch? The ones with the coolest blogs? The ones who write the most inflammatory comments on message boards? And finally, 3) How will they know they got the right fanboys involved? There are a lot of Eva fanboys and fangirls who are very passionate, but I disagree with them about a lot of things, especially in regards to how Evangelion should be interpreted on film.

Point is, giving fanboys official involvement in a movie is a bad idea, unless they are actual members of the production crew. If the director or some of the actors just so happen to already be passionate about Evangelion, then that's dandy, but if they're not, then that doesn't mean the studio needs to make the director and crew accountable to a hand-picked group of fanboys. The movie will live and die based on its quality. If it sucks, it will tank at the box office, and that alone should be motivation to get it right.

Axell
Bridge Bunny
Bridge Bunny

Postby Axell » Sun May 10, 2009 11:32 pm

Reichu wrote:Oh, you're breaking my balls, Timstuff. You're breaking my balls.

Reichu, honestly, how are they not broken yet. Your balls have been in the process of breaking twice in one month THAT I KNOW OF, not to mention that without a physical form they must be clinging to reality by a thread. Put some ice on them! :grin:

But honestly, if the director needs any help, why would he not just go to the source..............I think i remember hearing Anno was at least a tiny bit interested in the movie, i'm guessing he had to sign something to allow adv to get the rights. The shear mentioning of fan(insert gender here) advice is ludicrous. If i were to make a pi chart of how fans would contribute to the film (too lazy to so so) i'd make 99.99999% of it red representing the amount of idiots who would impose their views/add in things to make the story fit to their liking, and the last sliver of a percent be the few who would try to objectively keep the core story the same.

If a A/S fan wrote the story for LAEM, what would happen? They'd get together, probably with no problems. What you get are fanfics. Look at the shear amount of them. Many are quite good, i personally don't enjoy them, but they do allow people to creatively change their favorite shows to their liking. This is not something that can be done on a official level such as a movie

I don't want to sound like an antifan(insert gender here) fanboy, just saying if a fan was to impose his/her views and not keep the core story, it'd be disastrous.

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Mon May 11, 2009 6:12 am

Whoever writes the script would not be a big fan of the show most likely. They'd hire a proven Hollywood screenwriter and based off one viewing he'd do an adaptation that would best suit a Hollywood blockbuster.
Asuka (Alice) and Shinji (Sean) shipping be damned. It'll all be about how could they squeeze the most money out of their product.

As for Cloverfield being Eva like...well, when you're a huge fan of something you see it everywhere. Especially in places people didn't intend it to be.
(I.e. I saw a cloud wipe pan in "Benjamin Button" like in NGE, Fincher MUST BE an Eva fan!....an extreme example to be sure but true nonetheless)

Guyver Spawn
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

Postby Guyver Spawn » Mon May 11, 2009 9:04 am

Seeing what he did with Star Trek, JJ would be perfect to hire but it looks like Dark Tower is next on his list in 2010 or 2011. David Lynch would be another amazing choice to.

Return to “Live Action Evangelion Movie”