[LAEM] Director?

The place for all of the old Live Action Evangelion Movie threads.

Moderator: Board Staff

slothen
First Ancestral Sloth
First Ancestral Sloth

Postby slothen » Thu Apr 05, 2007 12:23 am

provided he knew and cared as much about NGE as he does about LotR. Which he doesn't.
God, Apparently you all have been discussing Q since November. Catching up on the discussion is harrowing.

MAL Profile

Kaysow
Bardiel
Bardiel

Postby Kaysow » Thu Apr 05, 2007 11:46 am

I'll hop on the Jackson-hating wagon. Got no beef with any of his flicks (maybe 'Bad Taste'), but just because his movies are the most expensive ever people seem to think his directing accounts for something.

And Cameron, I can't really tell you why his movies are so great. They just are. Luck maybe?
If I have no soul to touch, no heart to love, no evil to rise up above
No angels and no ghosts, no real victories to toast
If you believe that this is true then I must ask;
to what end do you proceed?

-Dustin Kensrue, Thrice

BobBQ
Dyskolos
Dyskolos

Postby BobBQ » Thu Apr 05, 2007 12:03 pm

Kaysow wrote:And Cameron, I can't really tell you why his movies are so great. They just are. Luck maybe?

Because he designs the props himself?

(Drools over pulse rifle.)

AuthenticM
Shamshel
Shamshel

Postby AuthenticM » Thu Apr 05, 2007 12:44 pm

Kaysow wrote:And Cameron, I can't really tell you why his movies are so great. They just are. Luck maybe?

Dude, that's because he's Canadian, duh.
In my case, I refuse to go easy on the ignorant, regardless of degree. Hitler was ignorant. Joshua C. Whatshisface is ignorant. To me, they're in the same category of ignorant and stupid people who should have been left in some isolated corner of the world where they couldn't bother anyone. --The Eva Monkey

Rommel
Ireul
Ireul

Postby Rommel » Thu Apr 05, 2007 2:10 pm

Kaysow wrote:I'll hop on the Jackson-hating wagon. Got no beef with any of his flicks (maybe 'Bad Taste'), but just because his movies are the most expensive ever people seem to think his directing accounts for something.

That doesn't make sense. Are you saying a movie can't be good if it's expensive? There are more factor to a movie being good than cost. The main expample is this: the LotR trigoly is expensive and it rocks, while the Star Wars prequels are expensive and they suck. So what accounts for the discrepancy?

The man in charge.

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Thu Apr 05, 2007 4:41 pm

Actually considering the length of the Lord of the Rings trilogy, the extensive cast involved, the immense amount of CGI, model, and prop work (over a million individual shots and props for all three areas combined I've heard) and the massive length (Extended Edition trilogy is about 12 1/2 hours, more than all EVA) the series is really pretty damn cheap.

All in all I think the ENTIRE series (extended work included-but not including marketing, which was pretty lax by Part 3 cause no one needed to be told it was coming out) the LORD OF THE RINGS cost about $400 million. Thats about $130 million a film (though I've read the overall cost for Film One is under $100 million).

Now lets compare that to say....EVAN ALMIGHTY.
Lets see, LOTR had over 100 real speaking parts. EVAN has...probably 10. LOTR took place in a world that had to be BUILT and made. EVAN was filmed in Richmond (hometown-squee!). LOTR, over 2500 CGI shots total and over 12 hours. EVAN, probably 400-500 CGI shots and lenght of about 2 hours.
LOTR- $400 million total.
EVAN- $220 million

Sad really.
But its happening all over. SPIDER-MAN 3 is over $200 million, James Cameron's AVATAR is going to have a budget that if used productively could feed Africa for a decade, and so on and so forth.

Man, I will defend PJ and LOTR to the death. What the man did was beyond astounding. Think of it, before LOTR his only film with a real budget was "The Frighteners" of all damn things. And from that he goes to a project of an epic book with an epic cast, multiple character arcs and storylines, thousands of extras,etc, etc and moslty the guy had just mde films with fucking horny muppets?
KING KONG 2005 may have been a bit misguided but there was no in way that film was going to be received postively (everyone whether they admit or not compared it to the LOTR and theres no way a freaking Ape movie could contend) and it was also the man's passion project so it was FAR too long.

Either way, no matter what you think of the LOTR trilogy what PJ did is something that no director before and since has ever done before. For a man who's relatively self taught he's freaking incredible.

As for him and EVA, like he said when asked, he enjoyed the series but doesn't have the passion for it, so he's not going to comit the (minimum) three + years of work and effort to a project he has no interest in.

SO yeah, LOTR is not really the most expensive film ever made. Fuck, I mean TROY cost like $190 million and it sure didn;t look it.

Kaysow
Bardiel
Bardiel

Postby Kaysow » Sat Apr 07, 2007 9:45 am

Gendo'sPapa wrote:Either way, no matter what you think of the LOTR trilogy what PJ did is something that no director before and since has ever done before. For a man who's relatively self taught he's freaking incredible.

This I can agree with. But I'm just not a big fan of the movies. They are enjoyable, but not as much as a saga this grand could have been. I still have a very hard time making out what Jackson himself brought to the whole picture, because however entertaining epic violence is, most of the dialogue is horrendously tedious to watch.

Sorry, I'm not gonna bash it anymore. I don't wanna cause yet ANOTHER thread-splitting. Let's spare Reichu the trouble. All I wanna say is that I belong to the camp that believe any Oscars were uncalled for, and that the movies really only thrive on sheer musclepower.

Gendo'sPapa wrote:As for him and EVA, like he said when asked, he enjoyed the series but doesn't have the passion for it, so he's not going to comit the (minimum) three + years of work and effort to a project he has no interest in.

Well still, loads of respect for having seen it even!
If I have no soul to touch, no heart to love, no evil to rise up above
No angels and no ghosts, no real victories to toast
If you believe that this is true then I must ask;
to what end do you proceed?

-Dustin Kensrue, Thrice

Winslow Leach
Adam

Postby Winslow Leach » Sun Sep 23, 2007 7:58 pm

I think Alfonso Cuaron's our best bet now, especially after seeing Children of Men.

chee
EGF Hate Machine
EGF Hate Machine

Postby chee » Sun Sep 23, 2007 8:16 pm

Jackson

Aronofsky

Cronenberg

Oshii

Cameron

Scott (Ridley)

EDIT: I forgot Tsukamoto.

I'm done.
Last edited by chee on Tue Sep 25, 2007 6:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

EvaCub
Ireul
Ireul

Postby EvaCub » Mon Sep 24, 2007 2:25 am

Winslow Leach wrote:I think Alfonso Cuaron's our best bet now, especially after seeing Children of Men.

MAn thatd be amazing if he got eva
My Anime List
Apjak:"Basically, to make an A.T. field gun, you'd have to make a gun that fires Evangelions. Not a very efficient use.
SailorStarDust:"No, everything has SOME meaning to it in Eva!"
Reichu on Sequel Theory:lights bandwagon on fire again:

AuthenticM
Shamshel
Shamshel

Postby AuthenticM » Tue Sep 25, 2007 11:45 am

Instead of hiring a known AAA director, they could go Bungie-style and hire a totally obscure guy who is renowned in the industry for his unique style and expertise. That's why I applaud Microsoft for getting Neill Bloomkamp instead of somebody "big" like Cameron or Jackson (though he is attached to the project).
In my case, I refuse to go easy on the ignorant, regardless of degree. Hitler was ignorant. Joshua C. Whatshisface is ignorant. To me, they're in the same category of ignorant and stupid people who should have been left in some isolated corner of the world where they couldn't bother anyone. --The Eva Monkey

Guyver Spawn
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

Postby Guyver Spawn » Thu Feb 26, 2009 8:28 pm

I hope you guys won't mind if I bumb this since I did not want to make a topic that already exist. Anywho, these directors I want to see:

Guillermo del Toro: His art direction is amazing and I think the systle that he used in Hellboy 2 and Pan's Labyrinth would be great. I would like to see how he would redesgin the Angels or the Geno Front.

Shūsuke Kaneko: A great Japanese director who has been know for It's a Summer Vacation, Death Note, Gamera (1995-1999) and Godzilla, Mothra & King Ghidorah: Giant Monsters All-Out Attack (Longest title ever lol). Seeing how he a did a great job with GMK I would say that he would be a great choice for this movie.

Christopher Nolan: This is a choice that most people would like to see with movies that he directed like Batman Begins, The Dark Knight, Insomnia, Memento and The Prestige. I'm not sure if he is anime fan or not but he will do a great job never less.

Steve Wang: A low budget director which I think can pull it off a good movie if the studio wanted to hite obscure guy. He has been know for reviving Masked Rider and the Kamen Rider franchise in the United States.

James Cameron: With movies like The Terminator, Aliens, The Abyss, T2, True Lies and the upcoming Avatar. This guy is a science fiction master when it comes to pulling off a amazing movie.

Ang Lee: I know people hated this movie of The Hulk (I did too) but he did great movies like Crouching Tiger: Hidden Dragon, Brokeback Mountain and Ice Strom. He is a great Asain director and if he has a good screenplay then he would be a great choice.

Terry Gilliam: People would disargee with me on this one but if you seen Tweleve Monkeys or Brazil then you would know that he is good with science fiction movies. He was even offer to direct the 4th Alien movie at one point.

Danny Boyle: A Oscar winning director that has done Science fiction movies before like 28 Days later and Sunshine. Not to mention that he directed A Life Less Ordinary, Trainspotting and Slumdog Millionaire.
Xbox live gamertag: Guyver Spawn 27
PSN: Hellspawn28

CorporalChaos
Test Subject
Test Subject

Postby CorporalChaos » Fri Feb 27, 2009 12:50 am

Guyver Spawn wrote:Terry Gilliam: People would disargee with me on this one but if you seen Tweleve Monkeys or Brazil then you would know that he is good with science fiction movies. He was even offer to direct the 4th Alien movie at one point.

Are you sure you want a member of Monty Python directing a movie version of Eva?
Occam's Razor: The simplest explanation is generally the correct one.
Essel's Corollary: The simplest explanation is never the fanon one.

NAveryW
Insect Politician
Insect Politician

Postby NAveryW » Fri Feb 27, 2009 1:31 am

CorporalChaos wrote:
Guyver Spawn wrote:Terry Gilliam: People would disargee with me on this one but if you seen Tweleve Monkeys or Brazil then you would know that he is good with science fiction movies. He was even offer to direct the 4th Alien movie at one point.

Are you sure you want a member of Monty Python directing a movie version of Eva?
Everyone's a member of something you wouldn't want a member of directing Eva.
"Today?... hmm... today... right... Um... I'm just gonna wing it." -Guess who

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Fri Feb 27, 2009 10:30 am

Nah, Gilliam has a great visual touch but the man can't prevent his visual flourishes from undermining the story. He'd have an idea on set that he wants Rei's plugsuit to melt into a bouquet of flowers and THAT would be the key focus on set that day.

You need a director who's key focus is story first. Visuals second.

Though Live Action Eva is still stupid.

Nukie
Lilith

Postby Nukie » Tue Mar 03, 2009 8:05 pm

chee wrote:Aronofsky

This. Especially for the mind rape/trippy scenes later on. He's quite good at portraying downward spirals, so I think he'd treat Shinji right.
-!

Guyver Spawn
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

Postby Guyver Spawn » Sun Mar 08, 2009 9:53 pm

After seeing Watchmen, I think Zack Snyder might be a decent choice. Since he is busy at the moment I doubt it will happen but I think he might do a good job since he likes to have his movies at a Rated R level and does care about the quality writing of the movie.
Xbox live gamertag: Guyver Spawn 27
PSN: Hellspawn28

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Tue Mar 10, 2009 11:15 am

After seeing Watchmen I'd gladly say Zack Synder is NOT the right choice.

He's an interesting filmmaker but he's not that great. He kinda removed almost all the intelligence from the Watchmen graphic novel to make way for "Cool Slow Motion".

Plus this is the second film in a row he's done where pratically the entire film is someone else's vision. I mean with the exception of a few small bits here and there he just shoots the graphic novel shot for shot.

Last thing I'd want is some dude to take Anno's vision and reshot Evangelion shot for shot live action and then be called "A Visionary" for using someone else's vision verbatim. ...though still dumbing things up in the process.

I've heard Synder's next film is his first original project so for that I'm glad. I'm still of the opinion that his DAWN OF THE DEAD remake is still his best film.

Though as an aside, if they ever did make an Eva film (please Lilith no) then I'd happily accept Jackie Earle Haley as a Gendo. An interesting bit of casting it would be.

So far, Aronofsky is the best idea put forward yet. You need someone who's character focused first, spectacle second.

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Sat May 09, 2009 6:14 pm

I couldn't find anywhere else to write this so...

Seems that Matt Greenfield has repeated the same mantra he's been saying verbatim for the past 7 years now.

For a financially bankrupt company Greenfield still keeps harping up this film.

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2009-05-09/report/moribito-to-return-to-adult-swim-tv-in-summer

Timstuff
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

Postby Timstuff » Sat May 09, 2009 7:35 pm

Personally, I like the suggestion of Danny Boyle. He knows how to work with sci-fi, and most importantly, he can do it while still making characters that we like and want to follow. Heck, if he were to direct and could get his writing buddy Alex Garland to pen the script, I couldn't be happier. :toothy:
DeviantArt profile being re-invented... Check back later.

Return to “Live Action Evangelion Movie”