Japanese EoE TV Spots

For talking about all other entries in the Evangelion franchise: from the various manga and video games to merchandising and various video/audio releases.

Moderator: Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion and abide by them.
Jayfive
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

Japanese EoE TV Spots

•      
  •      

Postby Jayfive » Sun Apr 10, 2011 4:05 pm

Anyone seen these before?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mOW1frRQW8Q&feature=related

As teaser trailers go that doesnt so much grab your attention as threaten it with a machete and take its wallet.

The US trailer is pretty bad with its pronounciation of the Units as 'EE-vahs', some pretty fundamental spoiling of plot and character fates and the rather unfortunately coupling of a 'fate of the world rests with one young man' quote with Shinji screaming, which makes you mentally add Bender going 'Oh man, we're boned.'

The Eva Monkey
IT'S OVER 9000!!!
IT'S OVER 9000!!!

Re: Japanese EoE TV Spots

•      
  •      

Postby The Eva Monkey » Sun Apr 10, 2011 4:21 pm

View Original PostJayfive wrote:Anyone seen these before?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mOW1frRQW8Q&feature=related

As teaser trailers go that doesnt so much grab your attention as threaten it with a machete and take its wallet.

The US trailer is pretty bad with its pronounciation of the Units as 'EE-vahs', some pretty fundamental spoiling of plot and character fates and the rather unfortunately coupling of a 'fate of the world rests with one young man' quote with Shinji screaming, which makes you mentally add Bender going 'Oh man, we're boned.'

Aren't those on the Manga DVD releases?

Kevin
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Kevin » Sun Apr 10, 2011 4:22 pm

wow ... I'm nearly speachless. Greatest thing I've seen in a while (Beside of that awesome EoE Movie poster)
It all returns to nothing

liquidus118
Zeruel
Zeruel

•      
  •      

Postby liquidus118 » Sun Apr 10, 2011 4:28 pm

I love them. Whenever someone asks me about Eva, I just show them those.

Jayfive
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby Jayfive » Sun Apr 10, 2011 4:40 pm

Aren't those on the Manga DVD releases?

Funny you shouldnt mention it ive just ordered a copy of EoE (for 1.50 GBP mark you) so presuming thats the one im getting ill know in a few days

C.A.P.
Wabbit Duelist
Wabbit Duelist

•      
  •      

Postby C.A.P. » Sun Apr 10, 2011 6:24 pm

...that was actually more threatening than the movie.

And that's saying something.
"Free-associative internet ravings know no proprietors."-Azathoth
"Cinema's value is that it is inhuman."-chee
"I only meant to stay a while."-ELO

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Sun Apr 10, 2011 6:42 pm

I have no idea why, but those trailers you linked to (Shinji screams his head off ones) are NOT anywhere on the extras section for Renewal Death and EoE. It confuses me considering some other spots/trailers are there: The EoE trailers/TV spots are only the trailer with Yuko/the others from the scrapped live-action segment as well as the text "The End of Evangelion" grower bigger as the LCL Sea waves lap. (Death trailers/TV spots are about 3 or 4, which include that one featuring roughs from Episode 25' and Rei's 26' line "Ikari-kun is calling me".)
Last edited by Sailor Star Dust on Sun Apr 10, 2011 6:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

rhfxz1s
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby rhfxz1s » Sun Apr 10, 2011 6:48 pm

I didn't think it would be possible to successfully capture EoE in 15 seconds, but there you go. Great stuff.

symbv
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby symbv » Sun Apr 10, 2011 9:47 pm

To be honest, I was in Japan when EoE was released, and I do not remember seeing that TV spot. I wonder, if it was genuine, when and how often it was shown on Japan TV ??
I never thought I would come back to Evangelion after EoE,
But I discovered Re-Take (or it found me?) and
now here I am.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Asuka FAN FOREVER
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

C.A.P.
Wabbit Duelist
Wabbit Duelist

•      
  •      

Postby C.A.P. » Sun Apr 10, 2011 10:20 pm

Yeah, I'm curious if someone recorded these spots appearing on national TV; there's no way those spots were logically linked to other non-Evangelion spots.
"Free-associative internet ravings know no proprietors."-Azathoth
"Cinema's value is that it is inhuman."-chee
"I only meant to stay a while."-ELO

svenge
Sandalphon
Sandalphon

•      
  •      

Postby svenge » Sun Apr 10, 2011 10:42 pm

View Original PostSailor Star Dust wrote:I have no idea why, but those trailers you linked to (Shinji screams his head off ones) are NOT anywhere on the extras section for Renewal Death and EoE. It confuses me considering some other spots/trailers are there: The EoE trailers/TV spots are only the trailer with Yuko/the others from the scrapped live-action segment as well as the text "The End of Evangelion" grower bigger as the LCL Sea waves lap. (Death trailers/TV spots are about 3 or 4, which include that one featuring roughs from Episode 25' and Rei's 26' line "Ikari-kun is calling me".)

The scream-filled EoE trailers linked to in the 1st post are included in the bonus (11th) DVD from the Japanese Renewal box set (both the 2003 "monolith" and the 2007 thinpak versions.)

Obstermaxmaster
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby Obstermaxmaster » Sun Apr 10, 2011 10:50 pm

This trailer is a beautiful masterpiece.
I WISH DAYLIGHT SAVINGS NEVER HAPPENED SO WE CAN WATCH MORE KARE KANO ~ C.A.P. ON SKYPE

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Sun Apr 10, 2011 10:50 pm

svenge: Strange that they removed that from the single volume DVD(s) later on. (I was referring to that Renewal Feature Films Death and EoE DVD (KIBA 1009/10) set if it wasn't clear.) Thanks for clarifying!

svenge
Sandalphon
Sandalphon

•      
  •      

Postby svenge » Sun Apr 10, 2011 10:59 pm

View Original PostSailor Star Dust wrote:svenge: Strange that they removed that from the single volume DVD(s) later on. Thanks for clarifying!

Technically, the 11th disc wasn't "removed" from the single volumes. It just wasn't offered for sale by itself later on, unlike the other 10 discs (which were each identical in content from the boxset to the singles.)

The rationale was probably to encourage people to buy the boxset all at once. If you think about it, it's a fair enticement. The 11th disc has 2.5 hours of rough cut footage, creditless OP and ED videos, several TV spots, the Genesis 0:0 "In The Beginning" and Genesis 0:0' "The Light from the Darkness" PVs, and the extended live-action segment cut from End of Evangelion. With all that content, it can hardly be called a cash-grab; not to mention the boxset came before the singles and was released again afterwards...

BornIn1142
Sandalphon
Sandalphon

•      
  •      

Postby BornIn1142 » Mon Apr 11, 2011 9:12 am

Yeah, I've seen those before, following links from TV Tropes. They really are great though. It amuses me to think of how they would come across to someone who hasn't seen the movie or doesn't know Evangelion.

I prefer the one with the waves to the one with the freaky laughter, myself.
"I'm afraid you can't create tragedy out of abnormal psychology." - Andrew Sarris.

MasterRah
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby MasterRah » Mon Apr 11, 2011 11:38 am

Great trailer, and it really sums up the series perfectly. Even if it's a super cheap TV spot/trailer to make, it's as equally effective as episodes Eva TV episodes 25, and 26.

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Mon Apr 11, 2011 11:45 am

By the way, this is TV spot 01... (You can probably see it on the side in the "related" column, but just for reference.) Damn those creepy giggling Rei! :fistshake: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hAMQybBc-Jk

I'm seriously hoping Final will take a cue and is going to have a trailer or two that will be just as "WTF is happening?!"-inducing in addition to the seemingly standard FMTTM/Beautiful World trailers.

Jayfive
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby Jayfive » Mon Apr 11, 2011 1:40 pm

Damn those creepy giggling Rei!

Ah, is that what that is at the end. Freaked me out more than the screaming. I didnt link it because I wasnt sure whether that was part of the trailer.

gatotsu911
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

•      
  •      

Postby gatotsu911 » Tue Apr 12, 2011 10:32 pm

HAY GUISE LOOK WHOSE COMMENT GOT UPVOTED A LOTS: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hAMQybBc-Jk&feature=related

Seriously though, I do so love those trailers. So very, very much.

The US trailer was kinda silly with its Don LaFontaine Sound-Alike Announcer (who miraculously manages to mispronounce every single piece of series terminology in the script) and major spoilage, but the highly appropriate Milton quote and breathtaking rendition of "Escape to the Beginning" mostly salvage it.
"I am shocked, SHOCKED, that a regular on an Evangelion forum would be a self-hating mess." - Tarnsman, paraphrased

"Jesus Christ, why are we even still talking about this shit?" - The Eva Monkey, summing up Evageeks in a sentence

Avatar: The Frozen Flame ~ Where Angels Lose Their Way

tomrule123
Tokyo-3 Resident
Tokyo-3 Resident

•      
  •      

Postby tomrule123 » Thu Apr 14, 2011 6:21 pm

Funny, I saw the Japanese trailers months after seeing EoE. I was like "WHAT THE F***?! They actually gave away how this will become a mindf*** movie?!" Well, it worked and this mindf*** trailer made the film successful.

...WHY CAN'T WE GET MORE OF THESE TYPES OF TRAILERS?!

Return to “Everything Else Evangelion”