Is Shinji moe: Yes/No? (Please keep it on topic.)

This is the place to start: Feel free to introduce yourself, have general conversations and casual discussions about all things Evangelion, including chit-chatty topics like "Sachiel is adorable" or "Which Eva kicks the most ass?"

Moderator: Board Staff

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

Is Shinji moe: Yes/No? (Please keep it on topic.)

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Wed Mar 30, 2011 12:38 pm

Somewhat of a very loose crosspost with this thread. Also, a note: Please keep this thread on topic. That means discussing Shinji's gender ("...I'm a boy.") and/or sexuality (Straight? Bisexual? Questioning? Simply a 14 year old boy who doesn't even know what he wants from others let alone himself? Who knows!) is okay as long as it's within reason and doesn't overpower the thread.

So.... Let's discuss whether or not Shinji is moe, shall we? Considering fans tend to think Asuka and Rei are moe, male moe IS possible and all. Similar to male tsundere (see also: Kyon from Haruhi). And IMO, so far Sadamoto's manga!Shinji has somewhat of a male tsundere personality. Somewhat. (New Movie Edition Shinji, OTOH, is somewhat of an anime and manga hybrid, but it's still too early to give a complete call on his personality since we're only halfway through.)

Image Source: http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i267/sailorstardust/Fandom/16_20090614010507.jpg

Several months back I stumbled across this blog which makes some good points, but to elaborate... Shinji still strikes me as more of [s]mai waifu[/s] a waifu than a husbando because of his personality, but damnit that's neither here nor there.

He's cute (I pray he'll take after Yui's "pretty" looks--instead of young!Gendo's bug-eyed looks and instead of Pengel's/fan-artists "willowy librarian" look--in the post-3rd Impact world.), he can cook, he can clean, he can play the cello, he's very polite and usually somewhat sweet/good-natured. That is, unless you fuck with him/push him over the edge in some manner... Then, you're screwed. See also: Shami battle, Zer battle, Asuka in EoE and EoE in general....

Butttttttttttt, when it comes to his personal issues (daddy and mommy issues/Oedipus Complex, low self-esteem issues, his Depression/Anxiety, etc), doesn't it make you want to give him a great big hug and tell him everything will be alright, EGF?

And no, this isn't just the Shinji fangirl in me talking, I really do find the kid moe.
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

child of Lilith
Celestial Serendipity
Celestial Serendipity

•      
  •      

Postby child of Lilith » Wed Mar 30, 2011 12:47 pm

Considering the way the fanbase treats him I'd say he's moe. And I'd also agree that he needs a hug more then anything else. Beating down on him like some people do certainly wouldn't help matters.
"Let the right one in. Let the old dreams die. Let the wrong ones go. They cannot do, what you want them to do."- Morrissey, Let the Right One Slip In

"Happy people can be so cruel"- Claudia, Silent Hill 3

"everlasting, true love, I am yours"- Rule of Rose

The Eva Monkey
IT'S OVER 9000!!!
IT'S OVER 9000!!!

•      
  •      

Postby The Eva Monkey » Wed Mar 30, 2011 12:54 pm

InstrumentalityOne
Strawberries & Peaches
Strawberries & Peaches

•      
  •      

Postby InstrumentalityOne » Wed Mar 30, 2011 1:00 pm

Yes.

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Wed Mar 30, 2011 1:01 pm

TheEvaMonkey: Oh, you. (Nabbed it from my photobucket, eh? Wonder what the original source is anyway.) Does that mean you agree Shinji's indeed moe or you just like this thread? I'm interested in your thoughts. :)

child of Lilith: Fanbase "treats him" how? You mean usually feeling bad for him, or something else...? It does seem a great deal of EGFers feel bad for Shinji as opposed to the fans that feel he needs to "man up" or "stop being a pussy" (:um-no: Missing the point of his character and the times he does "act manly"!), but...
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

The Eva Monkey
IT'S OVER 9000!!!
IT'S OVER 9000!!!

•      
  •      

Postby The Eva Monkey » Wed Mar 30, 2011 1:08 pm

View Original PostSailor Star Dust wrote:...you just like this thread?

Allemann
Potential Pilot
Potential Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby Allemann » Wed Mar 30, 2011 1:11 pm

Yes, he is a male version of moe.

Eva Yojimbo
Redbeard
Redbeard

Re: Is Shinji moe: Yes/No? (Please keep it on topic.)

•      
  •      

Postby Eva Yojimbo » Wed Mar 30, 2011 1:18 pm

View Original PostSailor Star Dust wrote:when it comes to his personal issues (daddy and mommy issues/Oedipus Complex, low self-esteem issues, his Depression/Anxiety, etc), doesn't it make you want to give him a great big hug and tell him everything will be alright, EGF?
I think it inspired more people to punch him in the vagina sorry, Reichu.
Cinelogue & Forced Perspective Cinema
^ Writing as Jonathan Henderson ^
We're all adrift on the stormy seas of Evangelion, desperately trying to gather what flotsam can be snatched from the gale into a somewhat seaworthy interpretation so that we can at last reach the shores of reason and respite. - ObsessiveMathsFreak
Jimbo has posted enough to be considered greater than or equal to everyone, and or synonymous with the concept of 'everyone'. - Muggy
I've seen so many changeful years, / to Earth I am a stranger grown: / I wander in the ways of men, / alike unknowing and unknown: / Unheard, unpitied, unrelieved, / I bear alone my load of care; / For silent, low, on beds of dust, / Lie all that would my sorrows share. - Robert Burns' Lament for James

child of Lilith
Celestial Serendipity
Celestial Serendipity

•      
  •      

Postby child of Lilith » Wed Mar 30, 2011 1:27 pm

View Original PostSailor Star Dust wrote:

child of Lilith: Fanbase "treats him" how? You mean usually feeling bad for him, or something else...? It does seem a great deal of EGFers feel bad for Shinji as opposed to the fans that feel he needs to "man up" or "stop being a pussy" (:um-no: Missing the point of his character and the times he does "act manly"!), but...
I was referring to the large number pics where they turn him into a girl and other things of that nature. People wouldn't do that unless they felt he was moe. Though feeling bad for him could also create feelings of moe.
"Let the right one in. Let the old dreams die. Let the wrong ones go. They cannot do, what you want them to do."- Morrissey, Let the Right One Slip In

"Happy people can be so cruel"- Claudia, Silent Hill 3

"everlasting, true love, I am yours"- Rule of Rose

Xard
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Xard » Wed Mar 30, 2011 1:34 pm

View Original PostAllemann wrote:Yes, he is a male version of moe.

>always hatin' on Shinji

duuuuuuuuuuuude wat

liquidus118
Zeruel
Zeruel

•      
  •      

Postby liquidus118 » Wed Mar 30, 2011 2:13 pm

View Original PostSailor Star Dust wrote:TheEvaMonkey: Oh, you. (Nabbed it from my photobucket, eh? Wonder what the original source is anyway.) Does that mean you agree Shinji's indeed moe or you just like this thread? I'm interested in your thoughts. :)

I just point out he's experienced having his skull cracked open, his arm snapped in half, being beaten, being stabbed through the stomach, being sat in a tube of boiling water (Some of which is inside his lungs) and yet still keeps on fighting. They tend to shut their stupid mouths after that.

OT: I don't know what Moe is because every time people discuss what Moe is it just ends up in 2/3 yelling at each other for 4 pages before the thread gets locked. From what I can tell it's cute teens/ kids doing cute things, so...Not really.

Stryker
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

•      
  •      

Postby Stryker » Wed Mar 30, 2011 2:18 pm

Nadia = Shinji. This was pulled right out of Yoshiyuki's ass.
The Moats of Quotes
"Life is becoming more and more indistinguishable from Onion articles." ~Monk Ed
"Oh my gods, that is awesome. I am inclined to forgive both Grant and the dub in general for that." ~Bagheera
"I don't try to engage in intelligent conversation here anymore."~Chee
"Look, if loving a clone of your mom is wrong, I don't wanna be right." ~Chuckman

|Why angels fight.|What Bagheera is talking about.|

BiQ
Sahaquiel
Sahaquiel

•      
  •      

Postby BiQ » Wed Mar 30, 2011 2:33 pm

Is water wet?
Do bears poop in forests?
Is pope a ... okay, let's not go there.

...on the other hand, if moe is defined strictly by audience reactions to the character, then he might not be... or it's a subjective thing. But then, if that's the case and Shinji's not a moe, then no male character ever will be.

InstrumentalityOne
Strawberries & Peaches
Strawberries & Peaches

•      
  •      

Postby InstrumentalityOne » Wed Mar 30, 2011 2:33 pm

^
You don´t need to post the same old thing twice, you now.

chee
EGF Hate Machine
EGF Hate Machine

•      
  •      

Postby chee » Wed Mar 30, 2011 2:57 pm

For all intents and purposes, yeah, he does fit the criteria.

I'm going to go put a shotgun in my mouth now.

Light
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby Light » Wed Mar 30, 2011 3:44 pm

I meant no as in Shinji is not moe.

Mods are removing posts? Derp.

Allemann
Potential Pilot
Potential Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby Allemann » Wed Mar 30, 2011 4:15 pm

View Original PostXard wrote:duuuuuuuuuuuude wat

I belong to a group of anime fans who consider calling something moe disparaging. Serves him right, the twerp.

Xard
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Xard » Wed Mar 30, 2011 4:17 pm

View Original PostAllemann wrote:I belong to a group of anime fans who consider calling something moe disparaging. Serves him right, the twerp.

but that's basically like saying "I hate him because he causes positive emotional response" -___-

meh, whatever

As for me, Shinji is mostly pitiful

Allemann
Potential Pilot
Potential Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby Allemann » Wed Mar 30, 2011 4:22 pm

View Original PostXard wrote:As for me, Shinji is mostly pitiful

I just said that. There's nothing more pitiful than to become moe to a group of otakus.

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Wed Mar 30, 2011 4:29 pm

Hey. guys
-- not wanting to sound all NO FUN in here, or wanting to have every post made be deathless prose, but when the back and forth thins out to IRC level, then that's one of the reasons we have an IRC channel.

@topic
No -- Shinji doesn't make me feel any moe whatsoever.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

Return to “Evangelion General and Chit-Chat”