Moments When You Hated/Were Frustrated With Characters

This is the place to start: Feel free to introduce yourself, have general conversations and casual discussions about all things Evangelion, including chit-chatty topics like "Sachiel is adorable" or "Which Eva kicks the most ass?"

Moderator: Board Staff

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Thu Mar 24, 2011 11:04 am

View Original PostLeighton wrote:I hated Shinji when he didn't get it on with Asuka.

Agreed. >=3

But seriously, regarding moments in the series, I need to give NGE/EoE a rewatch sometime anyway.

I do remember sometimes feeling annoyed at Ritsuko with her "Eva safety is more important than pilot safety" bullshit though. Logically, I get what Ritsuko means. (Although she should very well know that no pilot means the resident Eva soul won't want to do shit with launching, so WTF? At least Misato cares for the pilots when it counts.)

And yes, Misato as the pilots' caretaker/superior officer really dropped the ball when it comes to a proper relationship with Asuka (though she doesn't even have a relationship with Rei ;_; ) but that's partly the point of her character I think.
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

Xard
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Xard » Thu Mar 24, 2011 11:06 am

I hated it whenever Rei put her clothes on

Disgraceful

how can she do that?

Light
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby Light » Thu Mar 24, 2011 11:22 am

View Original PostXard wrote:I hated it whenever Rei put her clothes on

Disgraceful

how can she do that?

:angry:

Just like Yuko Miyamua gets pre-- I feel you. Someone like Rei shouldn't care about things such as wearing clothes on .

Trajan
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby Trajan » Thu Mar 24, 2011 12:52 pm

Asuka all the damn time. Half the time I wanted to be her friend and help her work through her issues...the other half of the time I wanted to punch her in the face, call her a useless little bitch and never have to see her again.

Take her death scene in EoE for instance, my reaction went something along the lines of "NO! Asuka how could Anno do that to you even if you did...sort of deserve...a karmic death. Eh well, maybe you can go harass Kaji's ghost now."

See, what I mean?
Movin' Right Along
"Everything has its beauty but not everyone sees it." - Confucius
"All styles are good except the tiresome kind." - Voltaire

esselfortium
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby esselfortium » Thu Mar 24, 2011 1:05 pm

Shinji at the end of episode 22, and whichever episode had the scene with him blocking out Misato's crying over Kaji's death. It's frustrating to see him completely give up on the people in his life when things go bad for them.

View Original PostTrajan wrote:Asuka all the damn time. Half the time I wanted to be her friend and help her work through her issues...the other half of the time I wanted to punch her in the face, call her a useless little bitch and never have to see her again.

Take her death scene in EoE for instance, my reaction went something along the lines of "NO! Asuka how could Anno do that to you even if you did...sort of deserve...a karmic death. Eh well, maybe you can go harass Kaji's ghost now."

See, what I mean?

Uh.... not..really?

Trajan
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby Trajan » Thu Mar 24, 2011 2:29 pm

View Original Postesselfortium wrote:Uh.... not..really?

Let me clarify: sometimes I sympathize, sometimes I take grim satisfaction in knowing karma comes back to bite her in the ass. My opinion of her also depends on the mood I'm in when I watch the show
Movin' Right Along

Stryker
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

•      
  •      

Postby Stryker » Thu Mar 24, 2011 2:35 pm

Rei when she does something malicious to another character for no reason, like pimp slapping Shinji (even though he was a little bitchy before then).
The Moats of Quotes
"Life is becoming more and more indistinguishable from Onion articles." ~Monk Ed
"Oh my gods, that is awesome. I am inclined to forgive both Grant and the dub in general for that." ~Bagheera
"I don't try to engage in intelligent conversation here anymore."~Chee
"Look, if loving a clone of your mom is wrong, I don't wanna be right." ~Chuckman

|Why angels fight.|What Bagheera is talking about.|

BornIn1142
Sandalphon
Sandalphon

•      
  •      

Postby BornIn1142 » Thu Mar 24, 2011 2:38 pm

View Original PostTrajan wrote:Let me clarify: sometimes I sympathize, sometimes I take grim satisfaction in knowing karma comes back to bite her in the ass. My opinion of her also depends on the mood I'm in when I watch the show

I don't really think anything Asuka did was terrible enough to warrant what happened to her. That would be a pretty horrific miscarriage of karmic justice.
Last edited by BornIn1142 on Thu Mar 24, 2011 2:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"I'm afraid you can't create tragedy out of abnormal psychology." - Andrew Sarris.

Kendrix
Defender of Puppy Boy
Defender of Puppy Boy

•      
  •      

Postby Kendrix » Thu Mar 24, 2011 2:38 pm

View Original PostStryker wrote:Rei when she does something malicious to another character for no reason, like pimp slapping Shinji (even though he was a little bitchy before then).

When did Rei ever do anything malicious? (Rei I doesn't count she was like, four? Probably four weeks rather than four years)
She slapped him because he insulted a person who is by all intents and purposes her surrogate father.
I wanted to try harvesting the rice

I wanted to hold Tsubame more

I wanted to stay together forever with the boy I like

Stryker
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

•      
  •      

Postby Stryker » Thu Mar 24, 2011 2:47 pm

View Original PostKendrix wrote:) She slapped him because he insulted a person who is by all intents and purposes her surrogate father.

1. You don't slap someone because he/she feels a specific way about something. If you can't deal with someone's opinion, cry on your own. And understandably, this isn't easy to do (I get particularly sensitive when it comes to racism, even though I am Caucasian).

2. Rules of Etiquette dictate that stating someone's bad behaviour in public is just as bad as committing it yourself. In this situation, it appears that Rei is considering Shinji's response to her question as bad behaviour, and is stating it by slapping him in the face, and clearly did it in public. She, doing what she is doing, is basically breaking the Rules of Etiquette by her own terms (in English: she is contradicting herself), therefore it might as well be the same as doing what Shinji did.
The Moats of Quotes
"Life is becoming more and more indistinguishable from Onion articles." ~Monk Ed
"Oh my gods, that is awesome. I am inclined to forgive both Grant and the dub in general for that." ~Bagheera
"I don't try to engage in intelligent conversation here anymore."~Chee
"Look, if loving a clone of your mom is wrong, I don't wanna be right." ~Chuckman

|Why angels fight.|What Bagheera is talking about.|

esselfortium
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby esselfortium » Thu Mar 24, 2011 2:56 pm

View Original PostTrajan wrote:Let me clarify: sometimes I sympathize, sometimes I take grim satisfaction in knowing karma comes back to bite her in the ass. My opinion of her also depends on the mood I'm in when I watch the show

Cutesy anime characters deserve horrifying mental trauma and gruesome deaths for flicking other cutesy anime characters on the nose and calling them "dorky". Got it.

Trajan
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby Trajan » Thu Mar 24, 2011 3:01 pm

I never said she deserved it, sometimes I just don't feel particularly moved by her death. Sometimes I do. :shrug:

Also don't gloss over how incredibly conceited and arrogant she is. She's damaged but there's plenty ways to be damaged without taking it out on everyone around you.
Movin' Right Along

esselfortium
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby esselfortium » Thu Mar 24, 2011 3:04 pm

NGE is, unbeknownst to most fans, the most grimdark deconstruction of Love Hina there ever was. Naru falls into a garbage disposal in the final episode as penance for her cartoonish violence and her possession of both ambitions and a vagina.

In seriousness, I'm failing to see the grave crimes you're seeing here.

BornIn1142
Sandalphon
Sandalphon

•      
  •      

Postby BornIn1142 » Thu Mar 24, 2011 3:10 pm

View Original PostTrajan wrote:I never said she deserved it, sometimes I just don't feel particularly moved by her death. Sometimes I do. :shrug:

Well, that's kind of what talking about karma implies, that she deserved it. I do see your point - Asuka is almost a bad person - but a character has to be, like, Jar Jar level for me to feel good about their deaths.
Last edited by BornIn1142 on Thu Mar 24, 2011 3:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"I'm afraid you can't create tragedy out of abnormal psychology." - Andrew Sarris.

Trajan
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby Trajan » Thu Mar 24, 2011 3:10 pm

@essel: I think you're overreacting a bit. Comparing your typical comedic-tsundere (which I'm assuming Naru is) to a person who's at the point of almost being emotionally abusive like Asuka is also a bit questionable.

@1142: Which is why I said "grim satisfaction" as in not happy but not terribly sorry that Asuka happened to get impaled.
Movin' Right Along

esselfortium
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby esselfortium » Thu Mar 24, 2011 3:13 pm

Emotionally abusive? Seriously?

Either way, it seems somewhat missing the point to be posting 'I wanted to punch [x character] pretty much all of the time!' in a thread about characters you otherwise liked occasionally doing things that annoyed you. :\

Trajan
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby Trajan » Thu Mar 24, 2011 3:19 pm

Hey, I only said I wanted to punch her in the face half the time![/sarcasm]

I like Asuka as a character and she has many endearing moments, but she also has moments that are not. However, rather than make me hate her this makes me appreciate her character more because she acts like an actual person. Sometimes I get along with my friends, sometimes I don't and Asuka is like that, it makes her real which is why I find her character so interesting.

If I wanted her to stop being such a bitch, well, she's not Asuka anymore and therefore boring ergo I'd quickly forget about her.
Movin' Right Along

Rei Makes You Go Splat
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Rei Makes You Go Splat » Thu Mar 24, 2011 4:19 pm

Shinji in the car garage scene. I once showed my friend EoE just to troll him, and he called Shinji a whiny bitch multiple times (as well as a few characters, but Shinji the most.) In scenes like that, I concur. Don't me wrong, it's powerful and reasonable given his mental state, but it's hard not to hate his inaction.
Evangelion extends life. Evangelion expands consciousness.

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Thu Mar 24, 2011 7:50 pm

View Original PostBorn of Lilith wrote:I initially felt the same way about Shinji shrinking away when Misato was crying over Kaji's death, and then drowning her out in his room with his pillow over his head as if her crying was so bothersome... But I recently saw that scene in a different light watching it again. He felt that he was only a child and not fit to help Misato adequately, which of course ties in with his general view of himself as inadequate. He probably loathed himself so much that he thought it'd be an insult to present himself to her in what must've been one of her most despairing times. Now, I'd need to carefully examine those seemingly uncaring moments on Misato's part to stand by such a claim, buuuuuut... could there be parallels between the reason Shinji ignored Misato and why Misato didn't do more to help Shinji and Asuka in those particularly harsh moments? I mean, Misato does confess to thinking of herself as nothing more than a child (she did say that, right? in her confessions to Kaji?) and of course asserts that she's just like Shinji.

It's worse than that. Asuka was so broken and mired in self-hatred at that point that there was no way Misato could have helped her. She wasn't a child throwing a tantrum, or a moody teenager -- she was mentally ill. Asuka needed professional help at that point, care Misato simply was not equipped to provide. Misato probably knew this, given her own teenage years, but with the angel situation being what it was and standing orders from NERV there was nothing she could do about it. She was helpless and she knew it. That's part of what contributed to her own breakdown and inability to help Shinji later on.

View Original PostBornIn1142 wrote:I don't really think anything Asuka did was terrible enough to warrant what happened to her. That would be a pretty horrific miscarriage of karmic justice.

Indeed, Asuka hasn't done much of anything that's all that awful. She hasn't even been all that nasty when you think about it -- she's just erected so many walls that others have great difficulty in getting along with her. That's self-defeating and painful to watch, yes, but it's hardly worthy of scorn.

(Hell, even in EoE her treatment of Shinji is based more on the fact that he's using her than on any sort of malicious intent on her part. There's no cruelty in those scenes; just a lot of well-deserved anger and frustration and contempt. It's really hard to blame her at that point.)
For my post-3I fic, go here.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion
Yes, I know. You thought it would be something about Asuka. You're such idiots.

Born of Lilith
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby Born of Lilith » Thu Mar 24, 2011 9:24 pm

View Original PostStryker wrote:Rei when she does something malicious to another character for no reason, like pimp slapping Shinji (even though he was a little bitchy before then).

That was right after Gendo suffered excruciating burns to save Rei. VERY justified.
SWAG
ME
THE
FUCK
OUT

Return to “Evangelion General and Chit-Chat”