Moments When You Hated/Were Frustrated With Characters

This is the place to start: Feel free to introduce yourself, have general conversations and casual discussions about all things Evangelion, including chit-chatty topics like "Sachiel is adorable" or "Which Eva kicks the most ass?"

Moderator: Board Staff

Aiko Heiwa
Salt 'n' Genki
Salt 'n' Genki

•      
  •      

Postby Aiko Heiwa » Sat Dec 10, 2011 2:14 pm

View Original PostSAWgunner wrote:Yeah, and Rei's smile in ep. 6. Not because it did anything negative to the story, just because they drew her so fuck-all ugly.

Probably why they redrew that in Death.
This signature officially sponsored by The Holy Church of Aiko Heiwa® since 2 December 2011

Xacebans
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Xacebans » Sat Dec 10, 2011 2:18 pm

I feel this way about almost everyone at some point.
Shinji--I love you, dear, but please don't fap to comatose girls and such.
Asuka--Stop being such a bitch! Resolve your problems; don't ignore them because they're going to come back and bite you in the ass!
Misato--Don't try to seduce the fourteen-year-old, Misato. You may be one of my favorite characters, but just...No.
Gendo--Dude, there's a kid in that giant thing, you know.
Ritsuko--Geez, Ritsuko! You're smarter than to think your mother would help you...

There. There is much, much more. But that's it in a nutshell.
TehDonutKing: Break out the booze, sixth-graders, and funny hats, for Xacebans became a true EvaGeek, for checking out Eva-01.
Aiko Heiwa: @Xacebans - Oh baby.
AngelNo13Bardiel: ...good news, Reichu! I think we finally found your long-lost sibling!

bobbyfischer's ghost
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby bobbyfischer's ghost » Sat Dec 10, 2011 5:51 pm

Shinji for most of The End of Evangelion.
Current avatar: Shotoku in winter
"Political Correctness is Fascism pretending to be Manners." ~ George Carlin
Wilt Chamberlain answers the infamous question.

Dream
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby Dream » Sat Dec 10, 2011 8:35 pm

Shinji running away. (...) Also, in EoE.

I hope you don't mind me asking, but with military background you mean military training or your parents were like that? And just to comment (even if this might seem stupid or cruel) i didn't really care for humanity by the time of EoE. I'm actually a bit surprised by Shinji deciding for humanity to exist again.
"Every line is a joy" -Kaworu Nagisa.

"Nothing great was ever achieved without enthusiasm." - Ralph Waldo Emerson.

lily liver
Embryo

at which point were you most angry/frustrated/disappointed with a character

•      
  •      

Postby lily liver » Mon Mar 21, 2016 6:37 am

my number 1 is when Shinji didn't know what to do when Asuka kissed him and stood there like a dead fish. when i watch that part, i scream in my head at him "lift up your arms, grab her hand away from your nose and hold her hand, and embrace her with the other arm!". if that had gone well, that alone would'n't have fixed everything, but it would have broken down so many barriers between them and got the ball rolling to where their relationship could develop into something normal. its like the frustration you feel when someone blows it on a game show and says the wrong answer to the easiest question you've ever heard, but more personal because i wish somebody was interested in me like that, and there's Shinji... crashing and burning and squandering like it ain't no thing.
i want to hug him because i understand being that autistic, but i also want to punch him in the head.

my number 2 off the top of my head is when Asuka told Kaji she wants him to bone her. she's so young and naive that she doesn't understand how completely uncomfortable that would make a normal adult man, and seeing it from his perspective specifically is even worse because he knows how psychologically damaged she is.
Last edited by lily liver on Sun Jul 03, 2016 8:19 pm, edited 8 times in total.

Iuvenal
Sachiel
Sachiel

Re: at which point were you most angry/frustrated/disappointing with a character

•      
  •      

Postby Iuvenal » Mon Mar 21, 2016 9:11 am

I would have to say the hospital scene. For one thing, ol' Shin-man only lasted about fifteen seconds based on the timestamps in VLC, which is pathetic even for a fourteen year old. For another thing, he inexplicably used his strong hand (yeah yeah, it makes the recurring hand symbolism work) which is bizarre. Finally, he somehow got it all over his hand when he finished - I don't even know how he managed to do that, but it's gross as hell. And it's not like he can claim inexperience as an excuse - during the train scene in pre-instrumentality, Asuka makes clear that he does this all the time (not sure how she knew that at that point btw).

On a more serious note, probably the kicking/strangulation scene on EoE. Great drama to be sure, but two broken people who have so much in common lashing out with all their pent-up nastiness is hard to watch.
Pkunk's not dead! Shake yer Rootz!

I carved A +S forever into my left buttock with a pocket knife. My right buttock is dominated by a tattoo of James Brown. - Chuckman

Who did 9/11? The FAR. - Reichu

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

Re: at which point were you most angry/frustrated/disappointing with a character

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Mon Mar 21, 2016 1:45 pm

To a first approximation, Shinji throughout the entire of EoE. Needing to be dragged by Misato after his suicide-by-JSSDF had been thwarted, and his lethal force as first resort exactly when it wasn't appropriate were the low points.

@Iuvenal
Fapping with your off-hand is a thing? Sounds crazy to me.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

Dima
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

Re: at which point were you most angry/frustrated/disappointed with a character

•      
  •      

Postby Dima » Mon Mar 21, 2016 5:39 pm

Without doubt, Shinji in EoE. I was so mad at him that i was like ''wtf Shinji, get in Eva, people are dying, no time for this shit''
There was a signature here. It's gone now....... - This is (not) a Silent Hill's reference
Members on my ignore list: Bagheera, pwhodges, Nuclear Lunchbox, Rosenakahara

IronEvangelion
Bridge Bunny
Bridge Bunny

•      
  •      

Postby IronEvangelion » Mon Mar 21, 2016 7:22 pm

Ritsuko when she slaughtered a tank full of defenseless Rei clones. She went from being a character I thought was alright to a character I absolutely hate. Yeah you can say the clones had no souls or whatever, it still doesn't make a difference to me.
[Redacted]

Sicarius VI
Tokyo-3 Resident
Tokyo-3 Resident

•      
  •      

Postby Sicarius VI » Mon Mar 21, 2016 8:14 pm

All of the character interaction in 3.0 frustrates me to a very high degree(except Kaworu and Shinji).
"I'm not going there to die, I'm going to find out if I'm really alive." - Spike Spiegel

BC Baron
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby BC Baron » Tue Mar 22, 2016 7:06 pm

View Original Postlily liver wrote:my number 1 is when Shinji didn't know what to do when Asuka kissed him and stood there like a dead fish...

Maybe this is not the proper venue to discuss your point, but FWIW, I didn't have a problem with Shinji's behavior in this scene at all. The way I look at it, Asuka had spent a lot of time up to this point in the series either insulting Shinji or openly lusting after Kaji, freely admits that she just returned from abandoning that guy, who was a friend of Hikari's sister, right in the middle of their date, taunts Shinji about his deceased mother(pretty low blow, especially coming from her) on the very same day he went to visit the gravesite, and claims that the only reason she wants to kiss Shinji is out of sheer boredom.

These should all have been major red flags to Shinji, but he overlooks all of it and kisses her anyway. As far as the audience knows, this was most likely his first kiss ever. Instead of taking any of this into account, or realizing that Shinji was probably stepping way outside of his comfort zone for a fleeting chance at being a little closer to her, she chooses to interpret it as a rejection, just because he didn't take any additional liberties or "try to steal second base" or something.

Moral of the story? I dunno. Chicks totally hate it when guys try to behave like gentlemen, I guess?

All irreverence aside, I think it's a bit unfair to call a fourteen year old kid autistic just because he happens to be shy around girls.

lily liver
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby lily liver » Tue Mar 22, 2016 7:30 pm

^ my frustration comes from knowing things he doesn't. thinking about it in context, i guess i couldn't blame him for behaving the way he does, but still, there is a type of frustration i can justifiably feel. haven't you ever thought back on past decisions you've made and realized that you completely fucked up, considering things you could only know after the fact? that's what its like.

as for calling him autistic, as far as i know (from the proof-of-concept pamphlet IIRC, or some interview with a creator), eva was originally conceived as being about two children with autism who learn how to deal with it together, which i can only assume was Rei and Shinji. so as far as i'm aware, Shinji is autistic "in spirit".

Compiling_Autumn
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby Compiling_Autumn » Tue Mar 22, 2016 10:03 pm

The most frustrating moment was when Shinji ran away in Episode 19. Of course, it made his return to the EVA and defeat of Zeruel all the more satisfying.
"The will to lose one's will?"
"Absolutely. The will to make oneself completely free. Will is the wrong word, because in the end you could call it despair. Because it really comes out of an absolute feeling of it's impossible to do these things, so I might as well just do anything. And out of this anything, one sees what happens."--Francis Bacon

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

•      
  •      

Postby NemZ » Wed Mar 23, 2016 6:49 am

EoE Shinji is just the worst. Even he would agree.
Rest In Peace ~ 1978 - 2017
"I'd consider myself a realist, alright? but in philosophical terms I'm what's called a pessimist. It means I'm bad at parties." - Rust Cohle
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize that half of 'em are stupider than that." - George Carlin
"The internet: It's like a training camp for never amounting to anything." - Oglaf
"I think internet message boards and the like are dangerous." - Anno

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Wed Mar 23, 2016 7:19 am

Indeed; in some translations he actually says "I'm the worst" at the end of that scene.

But am I angry/frustrated/disappointed with him? I'm not sure any of those is right - really I'm just sad for him.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: The end of the journey (details); Past avatars.
Before 3.0+1.0 there was Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Wed Mar 23, 2016 7:25 am

View Original Postpwhodges wrote:Indeed; in some translations he actually says "I'm the worst" at the end of that scene.

But am I angry/frustrated/disappointed with him? I'm not sure any of those is right - really I'm just sad for him.

Given what got him to that point I can't feel anything but pity for him. Same with all the kids, really, since they're . . . kids.

Now Gendo, OTOH . . . that guy needs a paddlin'. :bat:
For my post-3I fic, go here.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion
Yes, I know. You thought it would be something about Asuka. You're such idiots.

Sicarius VI
Tokyo-3 Resident
Tokyo-3 Resident

•      
  •      

Postby Sicarius VI » Wed Mar 23, 2016 8:17 am

View Original PostNemZ wrote:EoE Shinji is just the worst. Even he would agree.

Especially when he's in the Eva cage... hell the manga did better than the source.
"I'm not going there to die, I'm going to find out if I'm really alive." - Spike Spiegel

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Wed Mar 23, 2016 8:59 am

- NGE Asuka, throughout
-- Only exceptions are the rare instances where she lets her guard down and shows some indication of being a decent, amiable kid. Standout examples are when she returns from the date in episode #15 and just shoots the shit with Shinji, and in #22 when she starts to open up about her family.
- 3.0 Shinji
-- The whole fucking time.

View Original Postlily liver wrote:as for calling him autistic, as far as i know (from the proof-of-concept pamphlet IIRC, or some interview with a creator), eva was originally conceived (snip)

Source or it's fake.

And Shinji totally isn't autistic. In any way, shape, or form. Anno, on the other hand... Dude gives out some serious Aspy vibes. One of us, one of us!
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

lily liver
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby lily liver » Wed Mar 23, 2016 6:02 pm

i tried looking for a source on the autism thing, and i can't find it. i don't expect you to believe me but i swear i saw something like that.

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Wed Mar 23, 2016 7:46 pm

View Original Postlily liver wrote:i tried looking for a source on the autism thing, and i can't find it. i don't expect you to believe me but i swear i saw something like that.

The Internet is such a rich place for rumors to sprout and flourish, and human memory such a fragile and malleable thing, that "sauce" is an absolute necessity. A lot of the stuff I've thought to be true turns out to be complete garbage once it was finally placed side by side with the original source. Experience suggests that this is by far a more common human experience than not.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

Return to “Evangelion General and Chit-Chat”