Moments When You Hated/Were Frustrated With Characters

This is the place to start: Feel free to introduce yourself, have general conversations and casual discussions about all things Evangelion, including chit-chatty topics like "Sachiel is adorable" or "Which Eva kicks the most ass?"

Moderator: Board Staff

Born of Lilith
Sachiel
Sachiel

Moments When You Hated/Were Frustrated With Characters

•      
  •      

Postby Born of Lilith » Wed Mar 23, 2011 9:02 pm

Guess what this thread is about. No, really. Guess.

As a whole I don't get why so many people think Gendo is rotten to the core. Yeah, he treats his son and the other Children as mere tools in his plan, but he kinda HAS to, and most of the time it's easy to get the impression that he has his regrets and burdens in regards to his job. I mean the guy's last words were "I'm sorry, Shinji." He clearly thought that the ends justified his and the rest of NERV/SEELE's desperate (some would say immoral) means. Hence why it took failure to create a better world for everyone (including all the people he abused trying to achieve said goal) for him to regret the terrible (if necessary?) things he'd done. Is that an excuse? No, not really... erm, ok maybe it is... but the point is that it shows that he isn't a complete monster, but probably just a normal person who happens to have a job NO ONE would ever wish for... kinda like Shinji, in that respect. And it's really hard to hate the same guy who got the shit burned out of his hands to save Rei, enough to leave the flesh on his hands charred. That's probably the one moment that establishes him as a sympathetic character the most, if you ask me.

HOWEVER...

It's REALLY hard for those sympathetic feelings to last when he knowingly FORCES his son to maim one of his only friends AND THEN GRINS WITH GLEE AS IT HAPPENS. What makes it even worse is how he treats Shinji like HE'S the one in the wrong afterward. That incident should've been his "mah gawd what the fuck have I been doing to my son all this time" moment but instead he shows no remorse or sign of basic human decency whatsoever.

So how about you? Please respect my wish and don't say "when Shinji fapped to comatose Asuka." That usually doesn't go over well it'd seem. Otherwise, discuss!
SWAG
ME
THE
FUCK
OUT

Shogo-Kun
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby Shogo-Kun » Wed Mar 23, 2011 9:17 pm

Now that you mention it, I found myself hating Misato, a character I usually like, during the Episode 04 & Episode 06 equivalents of Rebuild. I don't know why, but I've always established her as a more caring person. Not to say that she isn't, but there were three scenes that made me wanna punch her lights out. And I never had that happen to any EVA character before Rebuild. Thankfully she gets better by 2.0.
NGE was a damned good anime
EoE was an anime masterpiece
And Rebuild is nothing short of epic
Long live the EVAs!!

AVATAR Oreo Nakamura, Light and Dark

Seele00TextOnly
Phospholipid Bilayer
Phospholipid Bilayer

•      
  •      

Postby Seele00TextOnly » Wed Mar 23, 2011 9:22 pm

Last edited by Seele00TextOnly on Fri Aug 20, 2021 8:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

child of Lilith
Celestial Serendipity
Celestial Serendipity

•      
  •      

Postby child of Lilith » Wed Mar 23, 2011 9:26 pm

I've never had a problem with Gendo. I actually rather like him.

The only character I can think of right now that I like but had a moment when I hated them would be Shinji. Most of the time nothing he did bothered me(even in EOE), but when he complains to Rei that she can continue fighting because she hasn't had the same experiences as he has after he gets blasted by Ramiel I felt like slapping him. She has it way worse then he does so it really pissed me off.
"Let the right one in. Let the old dreams die. Let the wrong ones go. They cannot do, what you want them to do."- Morrissey, Let the Right One Slip In

"Happy people can be so cruel"- Claudia, Silent Hill 3

"everlasting, true love, I am yours"- Rule of Rose

Born of Lilith
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby Born of Lilith » Wed Mar 23, 2011 9:32 pm

View Original PostSeele00TextOnly wrote:I didn't like Misato when we saw her hunkering down and ignoring Asuka's raging breakdown ("But most of all, I hate myself!!") down the hall. Go spend some time with the kid under your care, please. Same thing for when she is nowhere to be seen outside the quarantine tape with Shinji at the end of that episode after Arael. I really would have liked to see her trying her damnedest to help this hurt, angry, and confused child; if I recall correctly, we never see anything of the sort at all from her for Asuka. Other than that I do love Misato.

I initially felt the same way about Shinji shrinking away when Misato was crying over Kaji's death, and then drowning her out in his room with his pillow over his head as if her crying was so bothersome... But I recently saw that scene in a different light watching it again. He felt that he was only a child and not fit to help Misato adequately, which of course ties in with his general view of himself as inadequate. He probably loathed himself so much that he thought it'd be an insult to present himself to her in what must've been one of her most despairing times. Now, I'd need to carefully examine those seemingly uncaring moments on Misato's part to stand by such a claim, buuuuuut... could there be parallels between the reason Shinji ignored Misato and why Misato didn't do more to help Shinji and Asuka in those particularly harsh moments? I mean, Misato does confess to thinking of herself as nothing more than a child (she did say that, right? in her confessions to Kaji?) and of course asserts that she's just like Shinji.
SWAG
ME
THE
FUCK
OUT

rhfxz1s
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby rhfxz1s » Wed Mar 23, 2011 10:25 pm

Shinji during the beginning of EoE. Yes, I do understand that the events of the entire series, culminating in episode 24 had basically given him a mental breakdown. However, even if he absolutely hates himself, it's still no excuse to let others get hurt. I figured he would have been more eager to get in Unit-01 and help Asuka, but I guess the extent of the mental damage was simply greater than the viewer can comprehend.

Cody MacArthur Fett
Bardiel
Bardiel

•      
  •      

Postby Cody MacArthur Fett » Wed Mar 23, 2011 11:19 pm

View Original PostSeele00TextOnly wrote:I didn't like Misato when we saw her hunkering down and ignoring Asuka's raging breakdown ("But most of all, I hate myself!!") down the hall. Go spend some time with the kid under your care, please. Same thing for when she is nowhere to be seen outside the quarantine tape with Shinji at the end of that episode after Arael. I really would have liked to see her trying her damnedest to help this hurt, angry, and confused child; if I recall correctly, we never see anything of the sort at all from her for Asuka. Other than that I do love Misato.

Same here. Misato in undoubtedly one of my favorite characters in the series, but there are quite a few times when she just needs to woman up and be a mother to her charges, but . . . doesn't.

To those instances though I'd like to add that scene in 2.0 where she's encouraging Shinji to be a selfish bastard. I mean seriously, what the hell? Did someone replace her with her evil Slaaneshi counterpart during a scene change, or are all the characters in Rebuild just out of their minds?
Sic Semper Tyrannus
Carry on.

Light
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby Light » Thu Mar 24, 2011 12:46 am

When Asuka kept making sarcastic remarks about Shinji when he wasn't there, as in telling Rei "Don't worry, the invincible Shinji will help us so we don't need to to anything" and so on. But then I reminded myself that she says it out of jealousy, and she is just putting an act and trying to suppress her true emotions.

Her imperfection is what makes her so perfect! :smirk:

evafanatic
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby evafanatic » Thu Mar 24, 2011 1:36 am

hmm...that's a hard one for me.

It would probably be the times when Misato sexually seduced Shinji.

Born of Lilith
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby Born of Lilith » Thu Mar 24, 2011 2:06 am

View Original Postevafanatic wrote:It would probably be the times when Misato sexually seduced Shinji.

Dare I ask when this happened?
SWAG
ME
THE
FUCK
OUT

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

•      
  •      

Postby NemZ » Thu Mar 24, 2011 2:06 am

Shinji. EoE.

:rageface:
Rest In Peace ~ 1978 - 2017
"I'd consider myself a realist, alright? but in philosophical terms I'm what's called a pessimist. It means I'm bad at parties." - Rust Cohle
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize that half of 'em are stupider than that." - George Carlin
"The internet: It's like a training camp for never amounting to anything." - Oglaf
"I think internet message boards and the like are dangerous." - Anno

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Thu Mar 24, 2011 2:07 am

View Original Postrhfxz1s wrote:Shinji during the beginning of EoE.
I'd remove the "the beginning" bit.

View Original PostBorn of Lilith wrote:Dare I ask when this happened?
Well she tried in 23 and 25', but he didn't seem to swing that way.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

Fireand'chutes77
Sahaquiel
Sahaquiel

•      
  •      

Postby Fireand'chutes77 » Thu Mar 24, 2011 2:26 am

Asuka goes back and forth on this like a sine wave. She's one of my favorite characters, and the grit she shows is unbelievable ("OK. I just lost both my arms to Big Z. What am I going to do next? Yeah. Headbutt him.") - but every time you start to feel compassionate toward her, she turns around and does something that makes you want to strangle her*. My most memorable instance is from Episode 16 (Splitting of the Breast). Misato's sobbing across Shinji after he fights his way out of Leliel.... And behind them, in the middle of this heartfelt moment, Asuka snarls, "Weren't you going to punish him...?"

My gut reaction seems to be as childish as hers: I want nothing more than to be able to phase through the screen at that moment and kick her in the shins.

(I gotta hand it to her, though.... Anyone can wave their arms about and shout "OH MY GOD!" whenever something bad's happening. A small, shaky "...Mein Gott." is sometimes what it takes to really bring it home.)

*I wrote that sentence to a friend shortly after watching episode 16. Little did I know how prophetic it would become...
"I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. JSDF attack ships on fire during Operation Yashima. I watched particle beams glitter in the dark near the Geofront. All these moments will be lost in time. Like LCL in rain. Time to die." ~ ANT Pogo
Asuka: founder of

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Thu Mar 24, 2011 2:48 am

View Original PostFireand'chutes77 wrote:And behind them, in the middle of this heartfelt moment, Asuka snarls, "Weren't you going to punish him...?"

My gut reaction seems to be as childish as hers
She's actually the only one thinking rather than feeling in that situation (reminding the commanding officer of the fact of military discipline) -- Shinji had been insubordinate again, and got himself in deep trouble that had taken Yui h4x to get out of.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Thu Mar 24, 2011 3:14 am

I hate Yui for picking such a retarded and depressing ultimate fate if I am fully denied the opportunity to interpret it into something more interesting. ("Monument" just doesn't cut it. If Eva doesn't reproduce and keep life going after we're gone, then Eva is a waste and Yui wasn't paying enough attention in her basic biology courses.)
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

Born of Lilith
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby Born of Lilith » Thu Mar 24, 2011 3:18 am

View Original PostMr. Tines wrote:She's actually the only one thinking rather than feeling in that situation (reminding the commanding officer of the fact of military discipline) -- Shinji had been insubordinate again, and got himself in deep trouble that had taken Yui h4x to get out of.

I think she was more intent on taking the attention off of Shinji than kicking the both of them into proper conduct.
SWAG
ME
THE
FUCK
OUT

BornIn1142
Sandalphon
Sandalphon

•      
  •      

Postby BornIn1142 » Thu Mar 24, 2011 6:54 am

Well, yes. I fully believe that there was absolutely nothing Misato could have done that would have helped Asuka, and she knew that. But it's still frustrating that she didn't even try. She at least made an attempt to console Shinji after Rei's death. I'd be more forgiving if she at least had the decency to look sad about it.
"I'm afraid you can't create tragedy out of abnormal psychology." - Andrew Sarris.

Leighton
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Leighton » Thu Mar 24, 2011 8:16 am

I hated Shinji when he didn't get it on with Asuka.

Ritsuko
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Ritsuko » Thu Mar 24, 2011 8:55 am

View Original PostNemZ wrote:Shinji. EoE.

:rageface:

^This.

Honest to god, I would have ask Misato for sex in the beginning of EoE if she wanted me to continue fighting.

TV Shinji> Shinji Ikari raising project Manga Shinji> EoE Shinji

KogareruAsuka
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby KogareruAsuka » Thu Mar 24, 2011 9:52 am

View Original PostReichu wrote:I hate Yui for picking such a retarded and depressing ultimate fate if I am fully denied the opportunity to interpret it into something more interesting. ("Monument" just doesn't cut it. If Eva doesn't reproduce and keep life going after we're gone, then Eva is a waste and Yui wasn't paying enough attention in her basic biology courses.)

agreed... though i couldn't say that I like her normally...

I'd have to say Ritsuko.. i like her normally..when she's not there... then she has to show up in some relevant scene and ruin it with her face
Scheiss!... Even without my umbilical cable attached... I've still got 12,000 plates of fortified armor! And I've got my AT field!...There's no way I can lose! EAT THIS ARSCHLOCH!

Return to “Evangelion General and Chit-Chat”