Eva 2.XX Storyboards vs. Final

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

Eva 2.XX Storyboards vs. Final

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Sat Mar 19, 2011 2:40 pm

I've been thumbing through the storyboard books a bit lately and I figured I might as well share some of the stuff I'm noticing before I get distracted by something and forget about it. So, yeah, this is a potpourri thread. OH SHI--

I'll post some decent scans at a later point. (I'm at home now, and my scanner here is small and covered in old clothes and dust.)

• Misato's 2I flashback montage had a cut at the end showing blood squirting from the South Pole and reaching the Moon (see linked thread)
  • The scene with Rei's mysterious underground facility was longer. Her visit to the oversized test tube was prefaced by a stop with Ritsuko at another facility (consisting of a bunch of large pillars in a pit, in a blatantly SToL-like configuration) where Rei is showering after doing something mysterious.
  • The scenes with Shinji watching Rei wring out a cloth and embarrassing her in the elevator are present.
  • Eva-04 would have been shown in the report Fuyutsuki was holding.
  • During Asuka's Eva-03 test: She doesn't sprout "wings" (but she's still flung forward the same way). Instead of "feathers" flocking toward her, it's a bunch of NEEDLES. :w00t:
  • After her face is struck by the needles, there's a chopped scene (which most people have already heard about; there are pics and translations around here somewhere) where her face gets ripped off and talks to her in Kaworu's voice. Asuka ends up pulling her face back on and being surrounded by big needly things, "like a porcupine".
  • 9th Angel's explosion makes a giant tree-shaped thing.
  • When Shinji checks out Eva-03's entry plug, a bunch of faces or something form out of the Bardi-goo.
  • Before the cut where Eva-01 punches in Eva-03's face: Eva-03's upper body tries to crawl away, but gets grabbed and violently slammed into the ground again. (That sounds so awesomely grisly; I hate that this was cut.) In the dialogue column, "(Asuka)" is written next to the sound Eva-03 makes as it tries to escape.
  • The scene where Shinji sees Eva-03's pilot extracted from the plug was present. (Basically the same as the Toji version, just with Asuka in there instead.)
  • There is a cut Seele dialogue after this where they say stuff about Angels merging with humans or whatever. (I think it's meant to anticipate the 10th Angel, similar to how the Seele dialogue in #17 anticipated future Angel-human contact.)
  • Scene with Kensuke trying to call Shinji after he quits is present.
  • Right after 10th Angel grows a humanoid body, there was a cut of the core "becoming a person's face". (Really scribbly; all I can see is the lower half of a face with a Viral-esque slasher smirk.) Dialogue column here says "groaning sounds (voice same as Rei's)". [However, the core looks perfectly normal later...]
  • The dummy system was originally labeled "Rei-00". The sound that comes out of the entry plug when Eva-01 rejects it is said to be "like Rei screaming" in the storyboard, and just "like screaming" in the script. (The stuff about the DMYSYS being from Golgotha IS here, BTW.)
  • After 10th barges into the command center, a bunch of pillars pop out of the floor in front of the command tower. (Angel-sealing hex pillars, maybe?) Looks like Zer starts chargin' its lazers anyway.
  • Giant red Rei is tentatively drawn as having a core (right below the clavicles; whatever happened to solar plexus love?).
  • Eva-01 sort of wraps its right arm around Rei and pushes her in, instead of just floating there while she sinks in.
  • The cut with the cross-shaped incision doesn't have any vortex forming above it. This is delayed until the next cut (the close-up of the ground being sucked toward the sky), where a big vortex is opening above a little vortex, and the big one eventually develops a black hole. The description refers to this as a "door opening". (c.f. the original publicity poster's reference to a "door")
  • Right after Eva-01 becomes a glowy thing, Maya was going to hectically squeal something about synch ratio surpassing something and something-something two A.T. Fields merging not-believable.

Okay, that's it for now.
Last edited by Reichu on Sat Mar 19, 2011 3:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

Xard
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Xard » Sat Mar 19, 2011 2:56 pm

what is SToL?

Seele00TextOnly
Phospholipid Bilayer
Phospholipid Bilayer

•      
  •      

Postby Seele00TextOnly » Sat Mar 19, 2011 2:57 pm

Last edited by Seele00TextOnly on Fri Aug 20, 2021 8:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

SaltyJoe
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

•      
  •      

Postby SaltyJoe » Sat Mar 19, 2011 2:58 pm

View Original PostXard wrote:what is SToL?

Sephirotic Tree of Life, i would guess.

Seele00TextOnly wrote:As for talk of humans merging with Angels after the Asuka incident... dammit, Khara, you better not do what many of us fear your are doing...

It's not like Asuka's case is unique. Shinji is probably more Angel at this point than she is.

It feels like Khara is keeping all their thrump cards for the final movie. Awesome, but i hope it won't make the film (films?) too crowded.
"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it is too dark to read."

Warren Peace
Potential Pilot
Potential Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby Warren Peace » Sat Mar 19, 2011 3:10 pm

Technically every pilot is now part Angel, except for Mari. As far as we know, anyway.

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Sat Mar 19, 2011 3:15 pm

View Original PostSeele00TextOnly wrote:Also, the use of 'Rei-00' on the label of ANYTHING feels like quite a milestone

All I was indicating with the Rei stuff is that, at storyboard phase, there was a link between Rei and the dummy system, but it looks like they excised all traces of that, to the point of not specifying (in the final script) who the DMYSYS's scream should sound like.

As for talk of humans merging with Angels after the Asuka incident... dammit, Khara, you better not do what many of us fear your are doing...

It seems like a throwback to the scene from episode 17: "Oh, check out what this Angel is doing. Should we expect more of same?" And then 10th comes along, eats Rei, and grows boobs. I'm interested in what it says, so a translation should be forthcoming. (Same with Maya's excised lines about pseudo-evolved Eva-01.)

Few more:

• Gendo and Fuyu's rocket was shown taking off right before the "Yamashita" scene.
  • 8th Angel skewers 01's hands straightaway (doesn't bother holding hands first).
  • (Random: The "makes me feel dirty watching it" cut of Asuka turning in bed has a specific request to make it dirty. Looks like it says エッチくお願いします。 [ECCHIku onegaishimasu.])
  • Variation on #26's Pen Pen clock was in the Asuka/Shinji bed scene.
  • Asuka doesn't sprout "wings" in the plug (but she's still flung forward the same way). Instead of "feathers" flocking toward her, it's a bunch of NEEDLES. :w00t:
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

Xard
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Xard » Sat Mar 19, 2011 3:25 pm

View Original PostSaltyJoe wrote:Sephirotic Tree of Life, i would guess.

Ahh, of course. S in beginning threw me off and I kept thinking "Seed something something" or alternatively that it's some sort of aircraft...which made no sense

GasmaskAvenger
Re-Gyption Strut
Re-Gyption Strut

•      
  •      

Postby GasmaskAvenger » Sat Mar 19, 2011 4:59 pm

View Original PostSeele00TextOnly wrote:As for talk of humans merging with Angels after the Asuka incident... dammit, Khara, you better not do what many of us fear your are doing...

actually, I think it could be great on a pure psychological/body horror way

a bunch of kids piloting giant mechs are now forced to become what they fight...it's a terrifying concept when you look really hard into it
Satsuki Kiryuin wants you to turn that frown upside down...
My AU Evangelion Fanfic | My Street Fighter fanfic
XBOX Live: GasmaskAvenger | PSN: GasmaskAvenger
Official "Grindhouse of Evangelion" Discussion, Updates and Cast Sign Up Thread.

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

•      
  •      

Postby NemZ » Sat Mar 19, 2011 5:22 pm

No Shinji, you are the angels.
And then Shinji was instrumentality.
Rest In Peace ~ 1978 - 2017
"I'd consider myself a realist, alright? but in philosophical terms I'm what's called a pessimist. It means I'm bad at parties." - Rust Cohle
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize that half of 'em are stupider than that." - George Carlin
"The internet: It's like a training camp for never amounting to anything." - Oglaf
"I think internet message boards and the like are dangerous." - Anno

GasmaskAvenger
Re-Gyption Strut
Re-Gyption Strut

•      
  •      

Postby GasmaskAvenger » Sat Mar 19, 2011 6:23 pm

to clarify what I was saying, I forgot the "Asuka becomes a contaminated villain" rumor, so I was thinking about something else when I replied

still, the idea of Asuka going through transformation trauma without any pretense of her doing villainous acts or even being a villain at all is a stark but brilliant one IMO
Official "Grindhouse of Evangelion" Discussion, Updates and Cast Sign Up Thread.

Azathoth
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Azathoth » Sat Mar 19, 2011 6:31 pm

Would help if the Angels had been characterized or indeed given any real symbolic meaning in NME - even something as minimal as Armisael or Arael would have helped. Unless we're meant to take Kaworu's happiness quest as something universal to Angels or something. I don't know, there just isn't much potential in transformation trauma when nobody gives a shit about what she's transforming into.
Nothing is so valuable that it need not be started afresh, nothing is so rich that it need not be enriched constantly.

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Sat Mar 19, 2011 6:42 pm

I did a shitty translation of the Seele conversation. Wasn't what I expected from my previous cursorial glance. [Revised 2019/7, a bit less shitty now.]

キール「エヴァ3号機は予定通り、第9使徒の依り代としての役目を終えた。」
「予定通り、使徒とエヴァの融合は可能であったな」
「そして、エヴァを触媒とし、我ら人類との融合の可能性も見いだせた」

Keel: As planned[1], Eva Unit 03 fulfilled its role as a medium[2] for the 9th Angel.
?: As we expected, the fusion of Angel and Eva was possible.
?: And, with Eva as the catalyst, we've uncovered the possibility of fusion with us humans.

キール「希望は実現しつつある。失った人柱の犠牲にも報いねばならん」
「過酷すぎるな」

Keel: Our hopes are being realized. We also must repay the cost of the human sacrifice that was lost. [?]
?: That's awfully harsh.

キール「そのための子供達だ。人には全うすべきそれぞれの役がある。」
「群体としての人類。種全体が生き残るための、個々の役割か」

Keel: That is the children's purpose. Every person has his proper role to play.
?: The human colony organism. Individual duties, so that the entire species survives?

キール「我らは、個体では生きていけない。[3] その業と原罪を超えるための、人類補完計画なのだ」

Keel: We cannot subsist through the individuals. [3] The Human Instrumentality Project is for transcending that karma and original sin, after all.

[1] yotei doori!
[2] yorishiro. This is the same thing that Eva-01 was becoming in EoE. Tangorin says, "object representative of a divine spirit; object to which a spirit is drawn or summoned; object or animal occupied by a kami".
[3] There's a line here that was present in an earlier draft (published in back of main CRC book), excised from storyboard: だが個体故の苦しみから解放されることもない。Don't feel like trying to translate it now, mostly because I have no idea what 個体故 is.

Like I said, shitty. But hopefully you get the general idea.

And Maya's line from later on:

伊吹「シンクロ率、測定域を超えています。信じられない……2つのA.T.フィールドが重なって、融合しています!」

Ibuki: Synch rate is exceeding the measurable range. I don't believe it... Two A.T. Fields are overlapping and merging!

Well, that wasn't all that interesting.
Last edited by Reichu on Sat Mar 19, 2011 8:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

GasmaskAvenger
Re-Gyption Strut
Re-Gyption Strut

•      
  •      

Postby GasmaskAvenger » Sat Mar 19, 2011 6:50 pm

View Original PostAzathoth wrote:Would help if the Angels had been characterized or indeed given any real symbolic meaning in NME - even something as minimal as Armisael or Arael would have helped. Unless we're meant to take Kaworu's happiness quest as something universal to Angels or something. I don't know, there just isn't much potential in transformation trauma when nobody gives a shit about what she's transforming into.

yeah

just goes to show that Rebuild is just a major misfire that needed far more planning in the earliest stages and needed little to no resemblance to the original series (outside of the setting and the character design/characters)

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

•      
  •      

Postby NemZ » Sat Mar 19, 2011 6:50 pm

Sounds to me like confirmation that Rebuild!Asuka is indeed no longer entirely human... unless you use the "may include trees" sense of the word.

or at least that what the truth was at some point, anyway. Who can say what the last-minute-script-by-committee approach will churn out next?
"I'd consider myself a realist, alright? but in philosophical terms I'm what's called a pessimist. It means I'm bad at parties." - Rust Cohle
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize that half of 'em are stupider than that." - George Carlin
"The internet: It's like a training camp for never amounting to anything." - Oglaf

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Sat Mar 19, 2011 8:40 pm

Another thing I just found...

Right after Gendo is all WHY YOU REJECT ME YUI, Kaji appears behind him and says a couple of lines.

加持「わかってるはずです、司令。エヴァ初号機は人の心を持っているんです。シンジくんの意思を」

Kaji: You ought to know, Commander. Eva Unit 01 has a human heart/soul. (It has) Shinji-kun's will.

...and that makes just about zero sense right after Gendo attributes the Eva's willful action to Yui, so I have to wonder what they were thinking putting it there in the first place.

EDIT: I also found Zer's missing halo. It was going to be in what became this shot (though the "chuck four arms at Eva-01" thing wasn't there yet). In the final movie, Zeruel is never shown with a halo at all.

View Original PostNemZ wrote:Sounds to me like confirmation that Rebuild!Asuka is indeed no longer entirely human... unless you use the "may include trees" sense of the word.

:|

I'm not sure that this provides confirmation. "Merging" isn't necessarily permanent, and Ritsuko still makes that comment later on about how the traces of cellular corrosion are gone.
Last edited by Reichu on Sat Mar 19, 2011 9:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

UrsusArctos
The Beginning and The End
The Beginning and The End

•      
  •      

Postby UrsusArctos » Sat Mar 19, 2011 8:41 pm

View Original PostReichu wrote:Keel: As planned[1], Eva Unit 03 fulfilled its role as a medium[2] for the 9th Angel.

Seems like some of my old fanfiction was pretty close to the truth after all. :smirk:

I wonder why they chose to cut this? This scene shows just how ruthless Seele is and shows clearly that there is so much more going on than just Gendo's plotting. Or do they want to put it in 3.0?
(Was Board Staff from Dec 31, 2007 - Oct 17, 2015 and Oct 20, 2020 - Aug 1, 2021)
Not knowing that Monk is bi is like not knowing the Pope is Catholic - ZapX
You're either really bad at interpreting jokes or really good at pretending you are and I have no idea which.-Monk Ed
WAAAAAAAAGH!!!!!(<-link to lunacy)...Taste me, if you can bear it. (Warning: Language NSFW)
The main point of idiocy is for the smart to have their lulz. Without human idiocy, trolling would not exist, and that's uncool, since a large part of my entertainment consists of mocking the absurdity and dumbassery of the world, especially the Internet.-MaggotMaster

Sanctus Scorpius
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Sanctus Scorpius » Sat Mar 19, 2011 9:12 pm

For some reason, I can see them putting a modified variation of that SEELE conversation in 3.0.

Warren Peace
Potential Pilot
Potential Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby Warren Peace » Sat Mar 19, 2011 9:40 pm

View Original PostNemZ wrote:Who can say what the last-minute-script-by-committee approach will churn out next?

Clearly, Anno needs to go back to the well planned, orderly process that was the writing of NGE if he hopes to accomplish anything.

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

•      
  •      

Postby NemZ » Sat Mar 19, 2011 10:03 pm

well planned, orderly process that was the writing of NGE

I'm not sure if you're trolling with that comment. NGE was definately NOT orderly, however it certainly was a singular vision with a definite point to make and that's what I get the distinct impression is lacking in rebuild.

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Sat Mar 19, 2011 10:04 pm

View Original PostWarren Peace wrote:Clearly, Anno needs to go back to the well planned, orderly process that was the writing of NGE if he hopes to accomplish anything.

Pity we don't have any brutally detailed interviews about NGE's production process available...... I strongly suspect a lot of our audience expectations would get thrown into the ground like a four-armed fungal host.

Just so everyone knows, the storyboard-to-final changes on the scale I'm describing are extremely typical. (Guess I'll have to go through my NGE storyboard books for ya'll sometime and prove it, huh?)
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”