Pacific Rim

A subforum for discussions about Film, TV, and Videos.

Moderators: New Moderators, Board Staff

Gendo'sPapa
God
God

Re: Pacific Rim

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Mon Apr 02, 2018 11:12 am

It's a bad movie from start to finish. Probably will never think about it again. This will be my one post on it.

Plus, watching the original right before going to see the new one especially highlighted the vapid experience Uprising was.

I'd be curious to see what Guillermo Del Toro's original plan for a sequel was. A sequel after how the original ended would have always felt unnecessary but I think he would've cracked the case and found a way to make it work. He and the original creative did write an outline/possibly even a script. But, then when he left to do The Shape of Water & the new team was brought they apparently changed things drastically. In Del Toro's script I do know that Raleigh & Mako were to stay on as the central protagonists and that there was no Jake* Pentercost**. Mako Mori certainly would not have been reduced to what was essentially a glorified cameo since he was effusive about what a joy it was to create that character with Rinko Kikuchi.

I think only three things were carried over from Del Toro's original drafts:
SPOILER: Show
1. Del Toro's sequel was to take place in a world rebuilding itself after the Kaiju threat seemed over. Though his movie would have primarily dealt with the concept of what do warriors do when the world no longer needs them and would have made that the central focus. The new movie barely plays lip service to the idea.
2. There would have been a Jaeger-Kaiju hybrid.
3. Charlie Day's Newt would have still been corrupted by the aliens. Though again, I imagine Del Toro would have heavily focused on that storyline since he loves working with Charlie Day.

If Del Toro's original was a movie then this was the expensive (mostly shot in cost saving close ups though) pilot to a Netflix original series.

But, I would like to add Pacific Rim: Uprising to my list of reasons why a Live Action Evangelion is a terrible idea. Even though the actress is in her 20s I felt every scene with the spunky 14 year old girl pilot continually undermined everything BECAUSE she was a spunky 14 year old girl who had no right being in such an important position. Animation allows you to get away with having the world entrust its future to a child pilot and letting them be cool at times. In live action you're just looking at a child thinking "You don't belong here."

*I think the names sums up the difference between the first creative team & the sequels creative team.
Gloriously cartoonish names created for the characters in the first film - Stacker Pentecost. Raleigh Beckett. Mako Mori. Dr. Newton Geiszler. Herman Gottlieb. Colonel Herc Hansen. Hannibal Chau. Tendo Choi.
Bland white bread names created for the characters in the second film - Jake Pentecost. Nate Lambert. Jules. Viktoria. The closest they come to interesting is Amara Namani.

** Jake Pentecost by the way was a VERY LATE addition to the film since the movie was originally greenlit based on a script with Charlie Hunnam & Rinko Kikuchi in the lead roles. Thing is no one had checked his availability when they got the go ahead to begin production and if they waited for him they would have never hit their original release date of April 7, 2017 - which they didn't make anyways - so when they learned John Boyega was a big fan of the first film they just concocted this never-before-mentioned son of Stacker Pentecost to lure in the guy from Star Wars. I also have to imagine this decision to make him the central focus also led to basically writing Mako Mori out of the movie so he would have some of (empty) emotional narrative.

Sachi
Oh Daddy!
Oh Daddy!

•      
  •      

Postby Sachi » Mon Apr 02, 2018 9:41 pm

I've seen a bunch of negative reactions to Uprising here, so let me be the contrarian. I enjoyed Uprising for what it was. It isn't as good as the original, but I wasn't expecting it to be, and I'm not going to hold that fact that it isn't as good against it. What I did enjoy was the tone and spirit of the film, as it embraces even more of the mecha anime tropes that I enjoyed in the first film, and does even more to make it seem like a live action cartoon. I felt like I was watching an anime, which is what I wanted, but it also felt appropriate for the direction of the Pacific Rim franchise. I especially liked the subplot about attaching thrusters to the Jaegers and how that played out. One of the more worrisome aspects of the film had to do with the child cast, but the lead girl quickly won me over with how convincing she portrayed the character, and I liked that the kids stayed mostly on the sidelines until toward the end of the film. I am with everybody else in being disappointed over the treatment of Mako Mori's character; there was a lot of wasted potential there, however I can see the intent they were going for, and I can be somewhat forgiving about it. I very much enjoyed the direction taken with Newt, and that's honestly what won the film over for me. His actions in this film adds weight and new context for his actions in the first film, and I'm interested in seeing them take it even further in subsequent films if we get them.

So, while I won't pretend that the film is perfect and even close to as good as the original, I still very much appreciate it for what it is, and I am very glad we have both films to enjoy. If I were to rate the original Pacific Rim at a 7.5 or 8/10, Pacific Rim: Uprising gets a 6.5/10 from me.
- Sachi

I host the unofficial EGF discord server. Join us! https://discord.gg/WqS7wRW
I also host another server dedicated to Star Wars: https://discord.gg/wWYPwjb

Gendo'sPapa
God
God

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Wed Apr 04, 2018 11:40 am

"When I was a kid, whenever I would feel small or lonely, I would look up at the stars. Wonder if there was life up there. Turns out I was looking in the wrong direction...."

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/a-giant-crack-opens-in-kenya-but-whats-causing-it/?linkId=50036417

Return to “Film and Video”