Commentary: Episode 06

For discussion of and submissions for the EvaGeeks Wiki and Commentary. Open to all posters.

Moderators: UrsusArctos, Board Staff

thewayneiac
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

Commentary: Episode 06

•      
  •      

Postby thewayneiac » Mon Mar 07, 2011 3:27 pm

EvaGeeks is pleased to announce that Ep. 06 is now open for your comments.

Link:

http://wiki.evageeks.org/FGC:Episode_06

As always, please index your comments by the Cut#, or we won't know where to put them.

Enjoy!
Rejoice, glory is ours. Our young men have not died in vain. Their graves need no flowers. The tapes have recorded their names.
I am all there is.
Negative! Primative! Limited! I let you live.
But I gave you life.
What else could you do?
To do what was right.
I'm perfect, are you?

KnightmareX13
Seepage Murid
Seepage Murid

•      
  •      

Postby KnightmareX13 » Mon Mar 07, 2011 3:50 pm

#029 - Kelvin is always a possibility for the temperature measurement

#043 - After nearly being boiled alive and being knocked unconscious, all Shinji has to show for it is a nose bleed?

#054 - During World War two the allies used inflatable tanks to confuse the Nazi's into thinking that the D-day invasion would take place somewhere else in France rather than the beaches of Normandy. And more recently the Russian military has begun to invest in full scale inflatable missile launchers, tanks, transports, and fighter jets. With the idea of confusing satellites and making their forces appear larger than they actually are. And these inflatables are rather life like to. Also note the boat pulling the decoy.

#057 - Hope that boat has unmanned

#100 - two things to note about Unit 00 removing the ceiling, one, that the lights remain on even though the wires should have snapped when the roof was lifted off, and the second is that the roof remains in one piece.

#115 - All the cables look light veins because of their red and blue color

#236 - Locked and Loaded.

#301 - Taking the shot

#307 - Tango down... oh wait this isn't Call of Duty

#311 - talk about penetration

#318 - Like father like son
Last edited by KnightmareX13 on Mon Mar 07, 2011 5:27 pm, edited 3 times in total.
"This is for the record. History is written by the victor. History is filled with liars. If he lives, and we die, his truth becomes written - and ours is lost..." -- Cpt. Price
"Damn the torpedoes" -- ADM Farragut
"I have not yet begun to fight!" -- Cpt. John Paul Jones
"Don't be alarmed, we're taking over the ship" -- Cpt. Jack Sparrow
Napalm Sticks to kids ♣ Λ

Kendrix
Defender of Puppy Boy
Defender of Puppy Boy

•      
  •      

Postby Kendrix » Mon Mar 07, 2011 4:16 pm

Finally! I thank everyone involved for their hard work.
My comments will follow shortly.
I wanted to try harvesting the rice

I wanted to hold Tsubame more

I wanted to stay together forever with the boy I like

Twin Drive Sigma Aquarion
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Twin Drive Sigma Aquarion » Mon Mar 07, 2011 4:53 pm

019: You just got delt with the laser, bich.

045: Drill baby drill! Turns out angels are human enough to produce spiral energy.

213: At this point we can assume Ramy here is alert like Burt Gummer.

245: Sniper helmets! Because they're totally needed!

258: It's a bird! It' a plane! It's a deadly beam! Wait, that's not right.

271: Hey Adam, it's me Ramiel, I'm almost there dude just wait. You'll get out as long as plot weapon isn't protected by plot armor.

278: Coming back for more, eh?

304: What the hell!?

305: BAAAAAH! You got me right in the core!

307: Ow.

Jayfive
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby Jayfive » Mon Mar 07, 2011 5:08 pm

134: Rei: 'Ive been sitting here, DOING NOTHING, while youve been in a coma. Try and keep that in mind...'

221: I think it means like kinda like this. In the case of that shot, the energy from various places (i.e. all over Japan) are being channeled down to one place (i.e. Shinji's BFG 9000)

Ornette
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Ornette » Mon Mar 07, 2011 5:08 pm

#028 - This cut looks almost identical to the missing cut #022

#038 - It's possible that the "steam" is because LCL has a lower boiling point than water (otherwise Shinji would have serious burns all over his body).

#061 - This A.T. Field is of the octagon variety.

#066 - However, here the same A.T. Field from cut #061 is of the hexagon variety (huh?).

#109 - Ube, Yamaguchi Prefecture was where Anno grew up and is featured in the "Extra Curricular Lesson" episode that features Anno by NHK.
Last edited by Ornette on Tue Mar 08, 2011 12:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

Xard
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Xard » Mon Mar 07, 2011 5:27 pm

001: Ahh ep 6, how I used to love thee. Then Rebuild came and did terrible things to your coolness...

004: "M-MASAKA!" I think one could make a drinking game out of the numerous instances Ritsuko utters the phrase.

045: I always thought something about it looked wrong...

050: There's this finnish classic rock album titled "from womb to tomb"... :D

065: "Using lots of captions to create a war movie feel or a documentary feel is one of Hideaki Anno’s fortes, which hasn’t been seen since Aim for the Top!" (Platinum Booklet) - I recently watched the original Space Battleship Yamato tv series from 1974 and the captions used there are very similar. I suspect that's where Anno got this habit from. Other option would be Ultraman I guess: I also watched Ultraseven episode directed by Akio Jissin recently and it featured some similar use of captions in similar font...

076: "Machine's central control" = the core?

I really love the creative play with "camera pans" and fields of focus in this episode as well as the bold framings which are characterized by lots of empty space and often stay surprisingly far away from characters (esp. in these early scenes) with some quite non-standard closeups thrown in for variety. Given that animation quality of episode really isn't the highest it is stuff like this that make it still rather enjoyable watch.

I'm a bit confused who storyboarded this episode: Platinum booklets give credits to Masayuki but here in our own ep 6 credits list Shinji Higuchi is named instead.

100: LOL, cheap animation

110: oh look! Powerlines! Never seen these in Anno's anime before, no sire

129: Anno has used someone picking up/putting down phone sharply as scene transition device since his Ultraman parody film in 1980s. It is kinda funny how often this happens in Eva.

172: I always loved the high-contrast shadows and use of violet and blue in this scene.

209: I guess this is the most iconic shot in the whole episode, perhaps excluding certain smile later on...

218: you would expect hot blooded, low angle shot of pilot being all manly in series like Gurren Lagann of Kamina. With Shinji it's just weird...

261: Wasn't this recycled from Nadia?

318: and here comes all time classic scene. What more needs to be said...

326: looks like they decided to skip the zoom...

337: :)

338: :)

339: Guess this is worth throwing here:

"Episode 6 was too early.

At the end Rei says "I don't know what to do," and Shinji says, "I think you should smile," and Rei smiles. ... Afterwards, when I thought about it, I cursed. In short, if she and Shinji completely "communicated" there, then isn't she over with? At that moment, Rei, for me, was finished.

When she smiled, she was already finished, this character." - H. Anno

I'll comment on the whole Gendo glasses deal I started with ep 5 next time around (tomorrow?), my brain is a bit empty right now :)

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Mon Mar 07, 2011 5:37 pm

When I see episode 6, I'm only reminded how much better it built up to the final battle with Ramiel in Rebuild. I don't know if I can contribute to the commentary unless it was in comparison to the film versions, and I don't know if that would be appropriate for the commentary. Any other episode and I can commentate on to my little heart's content without going into Rebuild territory, but not this one for some reason.

EDIT: Wait! Never mind. I'm coming up with stuff. I'll either edit this post or make a new post depending on how long I take at this. :toothy:

ath
Clockiel
Clockiel

•      
  •      

Postby ath » Mon Mar 07, 2011 6:15 pm

View Original PostXard wrote:I'm a bit confused who storyboarded this episode: Platinum booklets give credits to Masayuki but here in our own ep 6 credits list Shinji Higuchi is named instead.

That's interesting. Both ADV's and Dynit's Platinum ep #06 ending credits give Shinji Higuchi as stoyboarder, but the kanji in the Renewal credits look just like those for Masayuki (or at least they look like the ones used for his name in the PSG episode he worked on, don't ask me to actually read or understand them ;))

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Mon Mar 07, 2011 6:32 pm

Here's my contribution:

-------------------------------------

43: I'm not sure what it was about the Angel that caused Shinji's current nose-bleed. Especially since his earlier indecent with Rei didn't result in any of that.

46: The dark lighting makes this shot feel very claustrophobic, despite the wide-angle lens being simulated in the animation.

47: In both shots 46 and 47, I find it ironic how there seems to be a light at the end of the tunnel, only to have Misato be cut off from her only means of beating the Angel at the end of it.

49: The wide angle lends and dark lighting now make Misato appear alone and trapped in her situation.

53: The visual focus on the sun in the beginning of this episode is a direct contrast to the heavy use of the moon in the last half of the episode.

64: This is the beginning of the whole "come up with a plan" montage. notice how the quick cutting to various people throughout this montage contrasts from the lingering shot of Misato standing alone in shot 49.

91: This is either a graphic match technique being used to transition between scenes, or Misato is finishing recounting her discussion with Gendo to Ritsuko. I'm inclined to think the former is true every time I watch it.

112: I love how the orange sunset lighting illuminates through Ramiel and even effects the Angel's color. Golden hour animation at its best in the series.

123: The on-screen map being superimposed in the foreground of the character's faces is an old sci-fi trope. In NGE, Anno uses it to visually overwhelm the characters with the current situation being monitored on the screen as they attempt to over come it.

134: This is obviously Shinji's P.O.V. I like how unwavering and transfixed it seems to be on Rei.

157: I forgot how many golden hour shots there are in this episode. These silhouettes are truly amazing. Is it just me, or can anyone else see how Eva Unit 00 appears to be "carrying the cross of Christ" as a silhouette following Eva Unit 01? It just visually seems similar to the events leading up to Jesus' crucifix in this one single shot.

168: When I make my sci-fi action movie in the way distant future, I'm gonna use silhouette lighting like this.

184: I like the contrast between Shinji's neatly folded clothes and Rei's laundry mess. I'd make a "typical female" jab here, but I was always thought Shinji's neatly folded clothing underscored how he believes that he's not coming back from the mission; almost like how a suicidal person would neatly arrange everything before attempting the deed.

200: It visually feels like all of Japan breaths a sigh before the battle.

209: Cue visual moon references. These contrast greatly from the sunny shots in the beginning of the episode, and visually suggest a connection between Rei and the Moon that will be explored in the series at a later date.

339: @thewayneiac: No doubt, they had plans for Lilith down the line. However before Lilith is introduced, this shot merely strangely relaxes the audience after the battle, as if the contrast from the sun at the beginning of the episode was a good thing. The music and the cutting to the "To Be Continued" title card in the next shot would be the only tip off to the first-time viewers that there's something more to the moon than meets the eye, especially during what otherwise feels like a nice conclusion to the battle.

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Mon Mar 07, 2011 6:39 pm

Cut 44 -- shield as in Tunnelling Shield : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tunnelling_shield

Cut 45 -- the tip isn't threaded at all; it would have to just brute force abrade. The sort-of-thread on the side could equally well be channels conveying debris.

(Cut 103 -- "to ring you this" typo?)

Cut 142c,d -- Not for a minute wondering how come the first time he met Rei, their positions were revered...

Cut 224 -- one of these : http://www.ehow.co.uk/how_6663736_make-tournament-chart.html

Cut 259 -- the one bit of the rework that Rebuild managed to not do as well as the original

Cut 329 -- Well, that's the romance sub-plot set up -- apart from the inevitable MISUNDERSTANDINGS that will occupy most of the next 20 episodes...
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

Xard
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Xard » Mon Mar 07, 2011 7:12 pm

View Original Postath wrote:That's interesting. Both ADV's and Dynit's Platinum ep #06 ending credits give Shinji Higuchi as stoyboarder, but the kanji in the Renewal credits look just like those for Masayuki (or at least they look like the ones used for his name in the PSG episode he worked on, don't ask me to actually read or understand them ;))

...even more confusingly the Commentary has storyboards of ep 5 as Shinji Higuchi too, whereas platinum booklet clearly indicates they're by Kiichi Jinme (pen name of Junichi Sato)

Furthermore episode director for Rei I is Keiichi Sugiyama and Hiroyuki Ishido for Rei II in platinum booklets whereas Commentary gives episode director credits in both episodes for Seiji Mizushima

At least in ep 5's case it looks very unlikely there was translation mistake in storyboard credits as the booklet goes to detail like this:
The storyboards were done by Kiichi Jinme, a.k.a. Junichi Satoh, the same as for Episode Four. Rei's girlishly delighted look when Gendo appears and the comedy during the dinner scene where Misato pours curry into her ramen are distinctively Jinme's storyboard style. The eccentric way the cuts were split up when Shinji visits Rei's apartment was also memorable. Shunji Suzuki's animation work is also clear, and the quality of the visuals is also high. The trio of Satsukawa, Jinme and Suzuki later also worked on Episodes Fifteen and Twenty-One, which both focus on the drama.

I am pretty confused now... I even mentioned in ep 5 comments few scenes that had very strong "Sato"-vibe in them...

thewayneiac
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby thewayneiac » Mon Mar 07, 2011 7:17 pm

FreakyFilmFan4ever wrote:43: I'm not sure what it was about the Angel that caused Shinji's current nose-bleed. Especially since his earlier indecent with Rei didn't result in any of that.

Just to make sure, did you misspell incident as "indecent" deliberately as part of the joke, or was it a typo? (I hope that's not a dumb question.)
Rejoice, glory is ours. Our young men have not died in vain. Their graves need no flowers. The tapes have recorded their names.
I am all there is.
Negative! Primative! Limited! I let you live.
But I gave you life.
What else could you do?
To do what was right.
I'm perfect, are you?

Azathoth
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Azathoth » Mon Mar 07, 2011 7:17 pm

090: You know, I usually try not to let the off-model episodes get to me, but how hard is it to just draw Gendou's glasses properly?

100: That doesn't seem remotely legal. Also, Unit 00 has apparently gone from having too many errors for safe usage to being able to waltz all the way over to Tsukuba? Come to think of it, how did Unit 00 even get out of the Geofront?

104: The constant location titles are probably the episode's most notable feature to me. Is this some kind of reference that I'm missing, like an aping of the style of old newsreels or something?

135: Since they presumably cut him out of the original one. Something that's never actually addressed in the show is whether plugsuits are considered disposable or not - one would think you'd replace them after every usage but nobody ever brings it up.

142: Shape of things to come for Shinji, really: his lack of social awareness driving him to seek comfort from those who won't provide it.

176: Who put Ritsuko in charge of strategy?! That advice is terrible. Even Shinji isn't impressed.

221: It looks like a tournament bracket. Not sure what it's supposed to represent, possibly how the power relay system works - if Rebuild has a corresponding cut it might help here.

259: On rewatch I can't help but think of the final battle in TTGL here.

339: At a guess, Rei was still planned to be Lilith in her entirety at this point, unrelated to the white giant in Terminal Dogma.
Nothing is so valuable that it need not be started afresh, nothing is so rich that it need not be enriched constantly.

JC Denton
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby JC Denton » Mon Mar 07, 2011 7:30 pm

just a general comment on ep 6 (don't post this anywhere again):

I consider it a critical flaw that after the last minutes of this episode and especially the ending Shinji never tries to get closer to Rei afterwards (like it happens in the manga) ever again

ep 6 is a huge turning point, it's the closing of a certain state of Eva that never resurfaces and it's always a sad feeling to endure the "filler" (the Asuka-heavy second quarter of the show) after the early greatness
no sig

KnightmareX13
Seepage Murid
Seepage Murid

•      
  •      

Postby KnightmareX13 » Mon Mar 07, 2011 8:16 pm

#029 - you would subtract 273 for the conversion from kelvin to Celsius and add 273 for Celsius to kelvin.
"This is for the record. History is written by the victor. History is filled with liars. If he lives, and we die, his truth becomes written - and ours is lost..." -- Cpt. Price
"Damn the torpedoes" -- ADM Farragut
"I have not yet begun to fight!" -- Cpt. John Paul Jones
"Don't be alarmed, we're taking over the ship" -- Cpt. Jack Sparrow
Napalm Sticks to kids ♣ Λ

Kendrix
Defender of Puppy Boy
Defender of Puppy Boy

•      
  •      

Postby Kendrix » Mon Mar 07, 2011 9:44 pm

Okay, here are my Comments. Sorry for occassional walls of text. Feel free to shorten them/reduce them to what you guys consider to be the useful bits.

#003: I wonder if the black/red outlined circle here represents the core. If so, it would be quite large, perhaps explaining Ramiel's above-average firepower.

#014: So these are sparks? I always assumed them to be splatters of molten metal. I feel deprived. I LIKE IT when metal melts. It's awesome....

#024: One of the few scenes where Ritsuko shows concern over the pilots - or is she just nervuos because they lost the battle?

#030: Before anyone asks how defibrilating in a liquid is possible, his suit is made of rubber, and rubber is a fine isolator, which the outside of many cables is made of.

#038: Then again, considering that one of their two available pilots is exposed to that temperature, hurrying the f*** up might not be such a bad idea...
Then again, the Makers seem to have aknowdledged what you pointed out, as the ppl retrieving Shinji in Rebuild are given heat protection suits.

#044: I wonder if the "shield" thing means anything. Is there a Japanese word for drill?

#049: Misato looks rather helpless and small in this shot, standing all alone in the corridor. She immediately rushed down to see Shinji and followed the tray, but she was unable to do anything concrete.
This could tie into her whole conflict in ep 4 where she's uncertain about forcing such a burden on a child - she can't do the 'hard', fighthing part herself.
Maybe the helplessness she felt in this instant was what motivated her to play the little part she could play the best she could by comming up with the entire operation Yashima business.

#054 They have the money and the material to make livesized EVA balloons?! Heck, who cares. I want to buy an EVA balloon for my little sister, so her sponge bob ballon gets some company.

#067 Ramiel the "Floating Fortress" (I love that term) is definitely one of the tougher angels. It will take quite some time before our protagonists will have to face one of that caliber once again.

#082: I never realized that this was supposed to be Shinji's treatment room. This is, along with the fact that Rei has been staring at Shinji as much as he stared at her (the easy-to-miss shot in the cage from ep 5 vs the shot where she is seen watching Shinji and his friends from inside the shool building) one opf the things that have been made more obvious in Rebuild. Note that she is not, like usual, staring straight ahead, but looking down, i.e., directly at Shinji.

#083: The way she's holding the glasses, which have been shown to be a source of security to her, (end of ep 5) might suggest that she is unsure about something. I would even say that she appears to be a little worried. This is the first moment to establish Rei II as not very resentful, a quality that provides a contrast to Asuka and will be displayed again towards the afore mentioned Second Child in ep 22. - She was quite angry at Shinji earlier, as he insulted Gendo, but she quickly sets her anger aside after Shinji was involved in an almost fatal battle, to the point that she stays at his side. She can't already have been ordered to inform him about the shedule since the NERV ppl haven't thought it up yet.
In Rebuildverse, Gendo could've sent her, but here, her only reasons real reason for staying by Shinji seem to be worry and/or curiosity.
There's no telling whether she was doing it conciously, but she seems to be reciprocating his spontaneous worry over her from ep 01. This time, their roles are reversed and Rei is the 'protector' while Shinji is the fragile one. These roles will get turned around again and again, so from the very begining, the S/R relationship has been balanced. Neither has a dominant personality that would smother/intimidate a less dominant person, and neither would think him/herself higher than the other, in sharp contrast to the A/S relationship where one of the partners (Asuka) is clearly the dominant one. (Of course, Shinji and Rei are not perfect either, and a bit of dominantness and self-confidence wouldn't harm either of them, but that's another story.)

084: Another elaborate perspective cut with the glasses. This time, Shinji isn't behind, but infront of them. Note that the perspective cut leads us through the other, less-cracked glass here. Maybe this time, it's not Shinji trying to see Rei through Gendo's perspective, but Rei trying to see Shinji through Gendo's perspective. At this point, the main connection between the two is Gendo, and their different connections to this man are a huge part of what makes them intrested in each other. (Compare the escalator scene: "You are Commander Ikari's child, aren't you? Dont you have any faith in him?" etc. The question about faith implies that she thought about their connection. ) Following my interpretationthat these shots are meant to show us that Rei is also wondering/thinking/curious about her fellow pilot, even if she is even more passive than Shinji.

#088 Wow, the sucess rate is actually above 1% for once!

#097 Clearly, for Misato, the best part of working to ensure the survival of the human race seems to be that she always has a good excuse to steal or demolish things. Think of the battery packs in ep 01.

#100 "Creak rip rip..."? So she actually ripped the ceiling off? It looks more like she just removed it like some sort of hat.

#101: One of, if not THE earliest intance of Hyuuga acting as Misato's preferred right hand man. Maybe because they somehow specialize in the same areas - or because she trusts/prefers him because he's a similar, emotional kind of person, expecially if compared to the more stoic Aoba. We will see this more often. He also develops a crush on her as the story progresses.
Maya will be adressed later.

#102: so that's how they transported the riffle. These scripts are truly insightful. Still. Does anyone else notice something disturbingly Haruhi-ish about Misato's last expression?

#104: Lol They were obviously at the local McDonalds. I feel a sudden craving right now. Give me a Mc Flurry and a milshake, please!
But there's one thing I'm confused about: The script says "Kensuke's room", but the text say's "Suzuhara residence". Whose room is it, then?

#105: One of the two occassions where wee see Hikari's private clothes. (tough the original series is way more sparse with the casual outfits than Rebuild) She looks cute and much younger with that yellow, not as strict and commanding, as if she had taken off a military rather than a shool uniform.

#112: beautiful shot indeed. I like the way Ramiel's body reflects the evening sun here. If he had human shape, this would probably be some sort of epic bishonen sparkle shot, assuming that he is indeed male. I feel unconfortable calling an Angel 'it' since one of them became my fav char in ep 24.

#120: Ritsuko is being a little cynical/nonchalant as usual. She gives a cool, techno-babble-ish description of the shield, causually adding the '17 seconds' bit directly afterwards. Also, as we see here, Maya is Ritsuko's right-hand person. We will also be seing this more often and this will also be expanded upon.

#125 She's done what she can, but she ultimately depends on Shinji fulfilling his role.

#130 Usual Ritsuko nonchalance. As we can see, Misato is in 'business mode' for the entire scene, but she's inwardly worried about Shinji and his willingness to pilot, even if she tries to hide her worry. She doesn't respond to a question that she has been asking herself seconds before- As we frequently see, what Misato thinks and feels inside and how she outwardly presents herself according to what she considers right for the situation are two vastly different things.
On the one hand, this discrepance is, as we later see, the source of many of Misato's inner troubles, we see her wondering whether she is "fake". On the other hand, this also gives her the admirable ability to pull herself together in the face of danger, even if she feels devastated on the inside.
It is the beauty of many of Anno's characters that their greatest streghts are often their flaws at the same time.

#131 "Western Sun", heh? I've always been as bit confused as to wether the hospital is in the Geofront or on the surface, tough the former would make more sense, since transporting the EVAs to the cake to then transport the pilots back to the surface seems like quite some waste of time to me - The beginning of this episode (Shinji being rushed to the sickbay) also suggests that it's close to the Geofront.

Anyway, let's move on to the plot. Knowing our sensitive little Shinji, barely evading being boiled alive should have significantly demolished his morale, but as an old Cuban saying goes(freely translated by me), "A pair of tits pulls more than two carts"

133: Note that she instantly looks at him and keeps doing so throrough the conversation, much unlike their encounters in the previous episode. She is probably doing this because talking to him/informing him is the objective of their orders, but it also foreshadows that this conversation will lead to way more 'communication' than the ones before.

134: She immediately starts off with stating the facts, without any greetings, routine questions or decorations. Note that her tone of voice is not described as "cold" or "monotone", but as "businesslike". She is adressing/treating Shinji like a coworker here - if she was in his shoes, she'd probably also like to simply have her informations delivered to her.

136: As we see a bit of his upper tigh, it is safe to assume that Rei got the full frontal view. She is as unfazed by seeing naked people than she is by being seen naked herself - She even assumes that Shinji might just causually forget to wear clothes.
Rei doesn't seem to realize that her attitude towards nudity is much different from that of others.

137: Think positive, Shinji. At least you're quit now.

138: How about covering your backside?
Note the "can't act perverted/embarassing towards/close to a proper love intrest"-behaviour here. It implies a sort of respect that is later absent from the S/A relationship. I'll deal with that when we get there.

142: He is looking away because he's ashamed. Something at the back of his mind, probably his male protector's instinct, must be kicking the rest of his brain for more or less telling the pale, fragile looking girl over there to go and fight the horible monster alone.
Note that he, unlike the many who say that their relationship is "too distanced" would suggest, feels pretty comfortable spilling his inner feelings and fears to Rei. And this is before they were really close.
Rei's answers might come off as cold, but she is merely stating the facts.
And this is pretty much the point.
Thewayniac is right about the elaborate discription of the reaction shot.
Many say that Rei is too passive/submissive to spur Shinji into action, but in fact, she's very effective at doing just that - Shinji likes to put himself in the 'victim' position, to make himself believe that others force him to do things. He builds his argumentations to pilot or not to pilot EVA on the fundament of that belief. But in believing that he does only what others want, he'll never find out what he himself wants. He might seem weak-willed, but the truth is that Shinji, as Anno once tolf Tsurumaki during the making of Rebuild, has never actually done something he didn't want to do. Rei says this "just sleep" line because that's simply the way it will be, she doesn't accuse him of sending her to fight the monster alone because she was created to fight it, but this line has a much greater meaning to Shinji: It means he has a choice.
Both options have consequences, one is to be useless for everyone in Tokyo3, the other is the fear and danger of the battle, so there's no 'easy way out', Rei isn't shielding him from the hard reality in any way, but there IS a choice. Shinji didn't expect to be actually allowed to say 'no', he expected her to try and convince him with kind words.
In leaving him that Choice,with no authorities to hide behind, (a tactic that is also used by Mari, tough neither of the girls purposely used it as means of manipulation) Rei allowed him to recognize what he truly wants...

#143 ...which is certainly not to lose the semblance of a home he built for himself and, in his current mindset, the function that makes him important to others...

# 144 ...nor to watch the girl that just accepted his decision without any further comments whatsorever walk to her death. His sudden movement here also shows how much that line affected him. This is completely new to Shinji - she isn't doing anything to urge him to fight in EVA, and she isn't angry or at very least displeased.
There's also his protector's instinct kicking in here, when she says she's going to prepare for the battle and he shows that almost instinctive "following movement".

#145 He is too late to keep her from walking towards the danger. The door closes behind him, as she departs with words of farewell, not assuming to see him again.
This, of course, furtherly fuels that protector instinct of his.

#147 He has decided that he does not want this. He does not want EVA 01 to be reprogrammed, nor does he want Rei to go into the battle alone.

#149: Ah, so that's where you always get all that insider Info, Kensuke-kun.

#157: This might be a relatively simple scene, but it shows that Touji has sucessfully completed his share of character developement for the Prologue Arc. This is why I liked that they lampshaded it a bit more in Rebuild's message box scene. After having seen Shinji's inner fragility in eps 3 and 4, the boys correctly deduce that he could use some being cheered on and organize this little action here. We see that Touji has come to understand Shinji/ that the two boys are now truly his friends.
It's a bit unfair that no one cheers for Rei, tough... :(

#170 So Shinji's synch rate was already higher than Rei's at this point.

#173: Shinji is still referencing his training or lack thereof. This is the battle where Shinji will cast off the thoroughly nervous/deathly afraid/mostly clueless behavious that has dominated his previous battles, where he is the "inexperienced, misplaced boy" while he never gets entirely used to piloting EVA, but he's able to form coherent thoughts in the entryplug after this one.
Rebuild handled the transistion from "Prologue Arc Shinji" to "Action Arc Shinji" a lot better, tough. In the anime, it's spread all over eps 6 and 7, in rebuild, there is a definite Moment. (The Angel of Doom scene)
Here, in this precise Moment, we're still dealing with Prologue Arc Shinji who has no clue what he is doing in Tokyo 3, and therefore clings to his training for guidance. Okay, Shinji never really stops clinging to others for guidance, but he improves GREATLY after this battle - He demonstrates much more of a will of his own in the subsequent episodes/his interactions with Misato and Asuka.

#176 Right, right, Ritsuko. Veeeery motivating. Just keep burtsting all our bubbles.

#177 He looks serious and stoic here, or at least tries to. This is definitely not the cosmic plaything we saw in the past episodes. The afore mentioned change is beginning.
Note how Rei asks her question in this exact moment, when he is told that everything is resting on his shoulders, as if she wanted to remind Shinji that she's still there, but couldn't think of the words to do so.
Iit makes sense, I mean, she was certainly paying attention when Ritsuko assigned her the job ob the defender earlier.

#181 Even his UNDERPANTS are neatly folded. Now that's what I call neurotic.
Also note that the drawning style significabntly changed from this part of the episode onwards. It's always fluctuating, tough...

#186 He is beginning to see Rei as someone he can confide in, at least to a certain degree.

#191 Her usual expression changes to a slightly determined one as she tilts her head up. She wasn't really trying to confort him here, but, from her perspective, simply reminding him of the plan, but if you see it from Shinji's perspective and take into consideration how he must've been feeling at the time, Rei happened to pick just the rifght words.
He also reacts schocked/surprised at the first part of the statement in 190.

#205 She needs to pause and think before answering this question. She has probably never thought about it before, since piloting EVA is part of what she was made for. "Because of my bonds" could either mean her ties to all the projects, or something akin to "Because of who I am" - as this and two other instances show, Rei II holds the opinion (Yes, she has one) that people are defined by their experiences and interactions with others.

#207 I wouldn't necesserrilöy interpret "with eveyone" as something overearthly/lillith-ish. It could simply mean that, in Rei's opinion ALL her bonds define her, even the less significant ones.
Here, we also have the point where Shinji starts admiring Rei, at first, in an intellectual sense. (This is also stressed in Rebuild.)
He came to protect her, but now realized that this fragile looking girl he has seen covered in Bandages all the time is able to just go and do what she things must be done.
To Shinji, this is an impressive strong will. (Shinji schows similar admiration for Misato, and, in Rebuild, for Asuka as well, tough one could argue that while NGE Shinji didn't state is that obviously, Asuka's apparent streght might have been one of the things that made him fall in love with her)
Now, Rei doesn't see that as impressive, it's not hard for her. She's simply fulfilling her purpose.
As she does, unbeknowst to Shinji, not consider herself particulary valuable or special, she uses a pretty sad, negative way to express this: "I have nothing else."

#208 Of course, they have to leave before he can ask further questions. Shinji is shocked that she would say such a thing, and perhaps even feels reminded of his own situation. So or so, as we see later, her words had a considerable impact on him. Perhaps he doesn't think that a person he considers strong and admirable deserves to feel like he did when he before he met Touji and Kensuke.

#209: Here we see her in an epic shot all her glorified beauty, in a pose that shows her figure and assets, saying what would have become her catchphrase if not for the events at the end of the episode, with her "emblem" behind her, in a shot that summarizes everything she is/ was until now.
I guess it means that Shinji now has a basic idea of who the person that will be accompaining him into battle actually is. She is no longer a stranger.

#210: And this is Shinji's reaction to the First Child: He is still uncertain about her words and, being the thoughtful, sensitive guy he is, wonders about their meaning.

#259: This is the only part of the original battle scene that I missed in Rebuild: Ramiel's counterstrike. The thing about Ramiel is, he may appear mechanical in appearance and behaviour, but he is, in fact, not so different from a human. My best guess is that he's probably a 'cool, composed' individual acting according to a plan, ironically not much unlike Rei. Now, Rebuild's blood chilling screams and spikes are very effective at showing that he's alive, the retailation shot diverting Shinji's attack shows that he's not only alive, but hightly intelligent, as it implies that our dear Laser-y friend could tell that his AT-Field wouldn't be enough to withstand that beam, and that he could fire his weapon with sufficient precision to properly divert the positron beam. Also, the spirals were COOL.
Well, the screaming is probably more obvious, and required our favourite Oktahedron to be hit. Still. I miss the intertwining beams...

(I'm tired now. I'll finish this after I get some sleep)
Last edited by Kendrix on Mon Mar 07, 2011 10:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Mon Mar 07, 2011 9:45 pm

View Original Postthewayneiac wrote:Just to make sure, did you misspell incident as "indecent" deliberately as part of the joke, or was it a typo? (I hope that's not a dumb question.)

It's supposed to be "incident". The real question is where my grammatical and spelling brain have been for the past few days. :tongue: Thanks for catching that.

esselfortium
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby esselfortium » Mon Mar 07, 2011 10:06 pm

View Original PostKendrix wrote:138: How about covering your backside?
Note the "can't act perverted/embarassing towards/close to a proper love intrest"-behaviour here. It implies a sort of respect that is later absent from the S/A relationship. I'll deal with that when we get there.

What about the time he accidentally fell on her and squeezed her tits? That one was pretty embarrassing.

Kendrix
Defender of Puppy Boy
Defender of Puppy Boy

•      
  •      

Postby Kendrix » Mon Mar 07, 2011 10:47 pm

View Original Postesselfortium wrote:What about the time he accidentally fell on her and squeezed her tits? That one was pretty embarrassing.

He had not much control over that one XD
What is more relevant is that he, as I pointed out in the Commentary for ep 5, can't quite seem to keep himself from sneaking glances at Rei when she puts on her clothes (so much for no sexual attraction...) but whenever he catches himself doing so, he immediately looks away.

Now, whenever Asuka showes her boobs into his face, he NEVER looks away.

Feel free to evaluate this however you want, but it's a fact that Shinji shares somewhat different relationships with these girls which certainly differ in the amount of respect involved.

Return to “Wiki Editing and Discussion”