Interview with Mike McFarland at Katsucon

Important site and forum news, announcements, and feedback goes here.

Moderator: Board Staff

The Eva Monkey
IT'S OVER 9000!!!
IT'S OVER 9000!!!

Interview with Mike McFarland at Katsucon

•      
  •      

Postby The Eva Monkey » Wed Feb 16, 2011 9:36 am

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mike_McFarland

I dropped Mike McFarland an email, asking if he would do an interview with me at Katsucon. He got back to me this morning, and said he would be happy to. This is tentative, I need to link up with Katsu's press/media liaison at con to schedule a bit of time to do this.

I'm working on a set of questions of my own, but if any of you guys out there have any questions you would like answered, I'll incorporate them into my own.

Combs
Matarael
Matarael

•      
  •      

Postby Combs » Wed Feb 16, 2011 11:32 pm

What makes a show popular?

Did you intend for the 1996 iteration of family guy to air on cartoon network?

Would you ever like to do a new show on broadway?
Proud founder, and sole member of A.I.D.S
"Can you bond with someone, over a television show? ...neuuugh?" -Craig Ferguson
"her BREASTS are like THE MAJOR'S from GHOAST In the MACHINE, She is like a person with CYBORG RADIATOR BREATSTS that do not WORK unless EXPOSED or in TIGHT CLOTHING or else the EXPELLED HEAT managed to SET THINGS ON FIRE" -chee, on misogyny

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Thu Feb 17, 2011 12:41 am

View Original PostCombs wrote:Did you intend for the 1996 iteration of family guy to air on cartoon network?

I think you're confusing Family Guy creator Seth MacFarlane with Evangelion English dub director and actor Mike McFarland.

--------------------------

What were some of his favorite projects and why?

Is he in the same recording studio with his voice actors, or does he do telecommunication with actors across the world when directing dubs, as was done when recording voices for Transformers?

How does he approach characters in an anime series that was unfinished while voice recording, such as the new Evangelion films?
-or-
How closely does he communicate with the original Japanese creative team when preparing for a dub recording?

Combs
Matarael
Matarael

•      
  •      

Postby Combs » Thu Feb 17, 2011 1:01 am

:chair: uh, sorry...What does phallic mean?
Proud founder, and sole member of A.I.D.S
"Can you bond with someone, over a television show? ...neuuugh?" -Craig Ferguson
"her BREASTS are like THE MAJOR'S from GHOAST In the MACHINE, She is like a person with CYBORG RADIATOR BREATSTS that do not WORK unless EXPOSED or in TIGHT CLOTHING or else the EXPELLED HEAT managed to SET THINGS ON FIRE" -chee, on misogyny

gatotsu911
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

•      
  •      

Postby gatotsu911 » Sun Feb 20, 2011 7:36 pm

Ah, you silly. I'll be amused to see if anyone else has made that mistake re: Mike McFarland/Seth MacFarlane (and, just for the record, Todd MacFarlane too).

I was at the 2.22 premiere and asked Mr. McFarland a few questions myself during the post-screening Q&A session. Some of his answers were entertaining, others enlightening. I now wish I'd written/recorded them.

@FFFFE: He addressed, to some degree, both of those questions during the Q&A - at the same time, in fact. As I recall, he mentioned that he would very much like to know where the series he's recording are going so he can be sure to cast the right actors and get the right inflections on the lines, and in cases where he's uncertain he will generally ask the production studio directly. However, he said that the writers/producers often keep him in the dark on future developments, giving Fullmetal Alchemist and Evangelion as specific examples. Specifically in regards to Eva, he said that nearly all of his communiques to Anno were met with responses to the effect of: "There is a plan." I found this both amusing, since such a cryptic statement is more or less exactly what one would expect from Anno, and also enlightening/reassuring, as it seems to confirm that Anno and co. do in fact have a specific punchline that they are building up to with the Rebuild movies. He specifically mentioned getting this as a response to an inquiry about Asuka's unexplained last-name change, which would indicate that there was actually a thematically significant reason for doing so; that was definitely food for thought.

I asked him if there were any translation or dubbing requests from Anno & Co that seemed especially bizarre or stood out to him in any way (e.g. Anno's insistence on particular translation choices and coining of episode titles during the ADV localization); he said there weren't particularly. As far as I could tell, Gainax/Khara were readily available to answer his questions (however cryptically), but weren't an overbearing presence during the scripting/dubbing process.

By the way, @Aaron, I attended the first 20 minutes or so of your "Serious Business" panel before taking off to see Summer Wars (also hosted by Mike McFarland - the dub was fantastic, the film was lovely and I feel confident overall in coining it "Anime Date Movie #1"). My point being, sweet Metroid wallpaper.
"I am shocked, SHOCKED, that a regular on an Evangelion forum would be a self-hating mess." - Tarnsman, paraphrased

"Jesus Christ, why are we even still talking about this shit?" - The Eva Monkey, summing up Evageeks in a sentence

Avatar: The Frozen Flame ~ Where Angels Lose Their Way

Return to “EvaGeeks News and Feedback”