Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

DevRei17
Zeruel
Zeruel

Dirty Pair

•      
  •      

Postby DevRei17 » Sun Feb 06, 2011 6:47 pm

I saw the first two or three episodes a few months ago but never got around to watching the rest. I feel I should see the movie Eden Project as well. What about the sequel, Dirty Pair Flash? I know Mr. Tines has a thing for it...
Also known as Cowboy Dev.

drinian
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby drinian » Sun Feb 06, 2011 7:11 pm

Ah, the Lovely Angels. They have a certain charm and earnestness that has given them staying power.

I've only seen the OVAs that were licensed by ADV, but Right Stuf just recently started distributing the original TV series. AFAIK this is the first time it's been sold outside of Japan. Looking forward to picking it up somewhere down the line.
[Became an administrator on July 1st, 2006.]

DevRei17
Zeruel
Zeruel

•      
  •      

Postby DevRei17 » Sun Feb 06, 2011 7:51 pm

View Original Postdrinian wrote:Ah, the Lovely Angels. They have a certain charm and earnestness that has given them staying power.

I've only seen the OVAs that were licensed by ADV, but Right Stuf just recently started distributing the original TV series. AFAIK this is the first time it's been sold outside of Japan. Looking forward to picking it up somewhere down the line.

They are quite lovely aren't they? I do want those RightStuf sets...

Merridian
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Merridian » Sun Feb 06, 2011 10:04 pm

Dirty Pair is one of the greatest franchises to have disappeared, and it is my personal belief that anyone who watches anime is duty-bound to consume at the very least Project Eden voraciously and repeatedly. I own all the Western DVD releases that have been put out so far (and yes, those sets by Nozomi Ent are awesome, but I'm still waiting for my preorder of the second set to ship). The babes are hot, the characters were fantastic, the animation is great, "80s Sunrise" automatically makes it cool, action was kickass, science fiction backdrop & technological crazy shit was badass, etc etc etc ...pretty much everything about Dirty Pair made it great.

I don't have the time for a proper splooge right now, but to summarize briefly:

Affair of Nolandia - lackluster, incoherent, and with strange models, but not bad
TV Series - quintessential 80s awesome
Project Eden - quintessential 80s awesome^10 (DEM CREDITS)
OVA series - more of the TV series except with slightly better animation
Flight 005 Conspiracy - best OVA the Dirty Pair had to offer

Dirty Pair Flash is an heretical AU story whose premise is retarded. In spite of that, what I've seen of it isn't terrible. I still haven't watch all of it, though.

drinian
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby drinian » Sun Feb 06, 2011 11:16 pm

View Original PostMerridian wrote:(DEM CREDITS)

Wasn't that the one where the bad guy got his own musical montage entrance as well?

Japan made some great pop music in the '80s.
[Became an administrator on July 1st, 2006.]

Defectron
Tentacle Girl
Tentacle Girl

•      
  •      

Postby Defectron » Sun Feb 06, 2011 11:25 pm

IMO project eden is the best thing to come out of dirty pair, you should check that out.

Dirty pair flash is a lot weaker then the original stuff IMO but it's alright.
Parasite Galaxy: An experimental webcomic

http://www.parasitegalaxy.com/ Updates Monday and Thursday. Vote for me on top webcomics

If you want to support this comic buy something from me on amazon

Merridian
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Merridian » Mon Feb 07, 2011 1:10 am

drinian wrote:Wasn't that the one where the bad guy got his own musical montage entrance as well?
Yep. They also have a sudden and inexplicable dance scene, too. :D

drinian wrote:Japan made some great pop music in the '80s.
:lol: yeah, the music is cool, but I was referring more to the mindboggling feats of animation that went into the opening credits for Project Eden. Produced in an age before significant digital assistance, Eden's OP is something that has to be seen to be believed.

Both TV show and the OVA series had sweet opening tunes as well, actually.

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Dirty Pair

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Mon Feb 07, 2011 2:51 am

View Original PostDevRei17 wrote:I know Mr. Tines has a thing for it...
Adam Warren's Dirty Pair was my gateway into the whole manga/anime scene, leading immediately to Masamune Shirow's Appleseed -- and then about 15 years later, spotting a DPFlash DVD meant I just had to buy it. And then I tracked down a fan translation of the first of the original prose stories, before ever seeing the ODP anime.

So there's an added nostalgia factor associated with the whole franchise -- just that odd spin-offs came first by accident of licensing history. The last of the 3 Flash DVDs -- the one with the one-episode stories -- is way weaker than the other two, which are decent action comedies (but neither are Biohazards, let alone Run from the Future, story-wise).

Having watched a few of the original TV series in turn of the century fansubs (320 x 240 or smaller -- suck it 1080p-fags), DVD format will be a serious video quality upgrade.

> Flight 005 Conspiracy - best OVA the Dirty Pair had to offer
I'd go with that -- Project EDEN is a bit too OTT '80s for these more cynical times
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

Xard
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Xard » Mon Feb 07, 2011 4:40 am

View Original PostMerridian wrote:(DEM CREDITS)

less fugly reso

This whole sequence was animated and designed by certain Koji Morimoto, by the way, and stands as a testament to his nigh-unparalleled animation genius. Project Eden's opening is fucking ridiculous for full cel animation. Not many people could do that in za worldo.

also, song is bitchin'

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

•      
  •      

Postby NemZ » Mon Feb 07, 2011 12:19 pm

View Original PostMr. Tines wrote:Adam Warren's Dirty Pair

Good times indeed. Have you seen his newer stuff like Empowered, btw?
Rest In Peace ~ 1978 - 2017
"I'd consider myself a realist, alright? but in philosophical terms I'm what's called a pessimist. It means I'm bad at parties." - Rust Cohle
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize that half of 'em are stupider than that." - George Carlin
"The internet: It's like a training camp for never amounting to anything." - Oglaf
"I think internet message boards and the like are dangerous." - Anno

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Mon Feb 07, 2011 1:41 pm

View Original PostNemZ wrote:Have you seen his newer stuff like Empowered, btw?
I've seen the later fugly art style and gone no further -- his style fell off a cliff somewhere between Fatal, but not Serious and Run from the Future (but I had to get that because it was, you know, the Lovely Angels).
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

•      
  •      

Postby NemZ » Mon Feb 07, 2011 9:22 pm

I think he's retrogressing through manga back towards a classical western style slapstick comic sort of style. It does seem much flatter (not superflat), but the writing is still top notch... for what it's trying to do, anyway.
Rest In Peace ~ 1978 - 2017
"I'd consider myself a realist, alright? but in philosophical terms I'm what's called a pessimist. It means I'm bad at parties." - Rust Cohle
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize that half of 'em are stupider than that." - George Carlin
"The internet: It's like a training camp for never amounting to anything." - Oglaf
"I think internet message boards and the like are dangerous." - Anno

chazthesilencer
Lilin
Lilin

•      
  •      

Postby chazthesilencer » Thu Feb 10, 2011 5:02 pm

I was certain I was the only person in the world who had seen Dirty Pair Flash, at the very least the only Brit to own the "Perfect" DVD collection.
Random trivia- the seasons/missions 1 + 2 disks play just fine on region 2 DVD players, despite clearly being marked as region 1 encoded. FBI warning and everything.

View Original PostMr. Tines wrote: The last of the 3 Flash DVDs is way weaker than the other two, which are decent action comedies
Impudent I feel to disagree with you, :bow: Mr.Tines, but decent is putting it rather kindly. All three seasons/missions were pretty bad, let’s face it.
I’d say mission three was my favourite of the bunch, shame only 5 episodes were made.

The OP of mission 2 was better than the entire season itself. No wonder it lasts a full two minutes!
FYI- there are no slick starfighter battles, no giant robot battles and no cool, clothes-shredding transformations. This is possibly the most dishonest OP ever.

View Original PostThe ADV “Character Bios” DVD extra wrote:“Sugar coated death is the best way to describe Yuri”.
“Useless” would have been a far more accurate description of her Flash incarnation!
Were they really talking about the character... or a specific genre?

Merridian wrote:I still haven't watched all of it, though.
This is all you need ever see:

I hear the Project: EDEN streamline dub is good. Great some say.
I would fancy a watch (listen?), but it no longer seems to exist anywhere in the world... :[
Us Animay watching evageeks gotta stick together! - Joy Evangelion

Merridian
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Merridian » Thu Feb 10, 2011 11:34 pm

View Original Postchazthesilencer wrote:I hear the Project: EDEN streamline dub is good. Great some say.
I'm not typically a hardcore dub-hater (in fact I usually love Streamline's old dubs). However, dubbing Dirty Pair is utter blasphemy. To tape over the indescribable bliss that is Saeko Shimazu is a torturous deprivation to those unfortunate souls who would watch the dubbed version. Her voice is heaven distilled into sonic sensory perception, like some auditory smooth silk gently caressing the ear canal and wafting against the membrane of ear's drum. To rob the viewer of experiencing that ecstasy is a crime against humanity.

DevRei17
Zeruel
Zeruel

•      
  •      

Postby DevRei17 » Thu Feb 10, 2011 11:41 pm

View Original PostMerridian wrote:I'm not typically a hardcore dub-hater (in fact I usually love Streamline's old dubs). However, dubbing Dirty Pair is utter blasphemy. To tape over the indescribable bliss that is Saeko Shimazu is a torturous deprivation to those unfortunate souls who would watch the dubbed version. Her voice is heaven distilled into sonic sensory perception, like some auditory smooth silk gently caressing the ear canal and wafting against the membrane of ear's drum. To rob the viewer of experiencing that ecstasy is a crime against humanity.

THIS.
This is how I feel about anyone playing Ataru Moroboshi besidrs Toshio Furukawa.

Dark doom
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby Dark doom » Sat Feb 12, 2011 6:46 am

Have been advised to watch both the original series and thr Flash series many times.
Still haven't got round to watching after a year of procrastination.
:shinchair:

BTW, is there any connection between Dirty pair Flash and Cutey Honey Flash?
Blah, Blah, Blah, Blaaaaaaaaaaaaaah.

And then we come to the merchandising... facepalm- Mr. Tines

symbv
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby symbv » Sat Feb 12, 2011 2:43 pm

View Original PostXard wrote:less fugly reso

This whole sequence was animated and designed by certain Koji Morimoto, by the way, and stands as a testament to his nigh-unparalleled animation genius. Project Eden's opening is fucking ridiculous for full cel animation. Not many people could do that in za worldo.

Wow...that brought back memories... I only watched it once back in 1987..and I forgot how great the OP sequence was... For Koji Morimoto, he did not make much work though I know he made a short film in The Animatrix. Perhaps you want to mention his work in the concert scene in MACROSS PLUS?

View Original PostXard wrote: also, song is bitchin'

It is a very 80s torch song style (the movie was released in 1986). The song is called "Safari Eyes", sung by Matsubara Miki, who unfortunately passed away at 44 in 2004 due to cervical cancer.
I never thought I would come back to Evangelion after EoE,
But I discovered Re-Take (or it found me?) and
now here I am.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Asuka FAN FOREVER
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Xard
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Xard » Sat Feb 12, 2011 2:56 pm

View Original Postsymbv wrote:Wow...that brought back memories... I only watched it once back in 1987..and I forgot how great the OP sequence was... For Koji Morimoto, he did not make much work though I know he made a short film in The Animatrix. Perhaps you want to mention his work in the concert scene in MACROSS PLUS?

Macross Plus's concert scene is best in history of medium and yeah, one of the very best showcases of his immense animation talent. But I was thinking of his work overall. He hasn't directed much stuff (largerly due to his perfectionism that makes Miyazaki and Anno seem pretty carefree...IIRC he has been working in some way on feature film for what, 6 years and the main reason project doesn't move forward is his perfectionism) but he is best known as legendary animator.

See this

Nowadays he is the president of Studio 4C which makes him a big player, of course.

View Original Postsymbv wrote:It is a very 80s torch song style (the movie was released in 1986). The song is called "Safari Eyes", sung by Matsubara Miki, who unfortunately passed away at 44 in 2004 due to cervical cancer.

Well that's sad to hear, didn't know that :(

DevRei17
Zeruel
Zeruel

•      
  •      

Postby DevRei17 » Fri Jul 01, 2011 11:26 pm

http://www.toonzone.net/news/articles/3 ... flash-more

Yay! More Dirty Pair! (More like the rest of Dirty Pair.)

Merridian
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Merridian » Sat Jul 02, 2011 1:23 am

fucking awesome news. I already own ADV's release, but if they audio/video is cleaned up then I'll consider getting Nozomi's anyway. I hope this means good things regarding Crusher Joe releases in the future.

Oh man, Nadesico too? Hell yes

Return to “Anime and Manga”