The true indentities of Clockiel & Tunniel

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
DarkBluePhoenix
Pilot
Pilot
Location: Somewhere between the light in my heart and the darkness in my soul

Re: The true indentities of Clockiel & Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby DarkBluePhoenix » Mon Apr 09, 2018 11:03 am

View Original PostACGT-Samael wrote:Personally, I'm liking referring to get Third Angel as Lucifer. While looking doesn't match the importance of that being in Judeo-Christian lore, physically speaking it does match descriptions of Lucifer as a serpent cast down onto the Earth (doesn't get more cast down than underground). It's even contained in Cocytus, where Dante said the Devil was.

That's an interesting take on Tunniel, and I can see the similarity to Dante's Satan who also had three mouths, as does Tunniel. Also, Cocytus and Acheron (both mentioned as part of Bethany Base) are both rivers bordering the underworld in Greek mythology, and IIRC Cocytus flows into Acheon. So gthe symbolism overall does point heavily to Lucifer.
Avatar - Heero Yuy, pilot of Wing Gundam Zero. If you want to read my NGE fanfic go to my profile here - DarkBluePhoenix on FanFiction.net or DarkBluePhoenix on AO3

Voted in college to be Most likely to Take Over the World, how to do that however, will require at least Four Evangelions. Thanks for the idea Misato-san!
"Now I am become Death, the destroyer of worlds." Said at the beginning of the nuclear age by J. Robert Oppenheimer.
"That which does not kill us makes us stronger." Words of Wisdom from German Philosopher Friedrich Nietzsche.

ACGT-Samael
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby ACGT-Samael » Mon Apr 09, 2018 11:11 am

View Original PostDarkBluePhoenix wrote:That's an interesting take on Tunniel, and I can see the similarity to Dante's Satan who also had three mouths, as does Tunniel. Also, Cocytus and Acheron (both mentioned as part of Bethany Base) are both rivers bordering the underworld in Greek mythology, and IIRC Cocytus flows into Acheon. So gthe symbolism overall does point heavily to Lucifer.

Cocytus isn't just a river in Greek mythology; in the Divine Comedy it's game 9th circle of Hell, a frozen lake with Satan buried up to his waist in ice at the middle. Meanwhile, the Third Angel was extracted from permafrost, as Kaji so eloquently told us.

For bonus points, the 9th circle is meant for traitors, and Kaji is implied to have released the Third Angel as a distraction to speak the Key off site.

DarkBluePhoenix
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby DarkBluePhoenix » Mon Apr 09, 2018 11:14 am

^ Yes, and Satan chews on the traitors Judas, Brutus, and Cassius. I simply added the part about the rivers in Greek mythology as further proof about Tunniel being Lucifer, or at least having the form of a snake as he did in the Garden of Eden.

Though, when was it mentioned that the Angel was extracted from permafrost?
Avatar - Heero Yuy, pilot of Wing Gundam Zero. If you want to read my NGE fanfic go to my profile here - DarkBluePhoenix on FanFiction.net or DarkBluePhoenix on AO3

Voted in college to be Most likely to Take Over the World, how to do that however, will require at least Four Evangelions. Thanks for the idea Misato-san!
"Now I am become Death, the destroyer of worlds." Said at the beginning of the nuclear age by J. Robert Oppenheimer.
"That which does not kill us makes us stronger." Words of Wisdom from German Philosopher Friedrich Nietzsche.

ACGT-Samael
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby ACGT-Samael » Mon Apr 09, 2018 11:17 am

View Original PostDarkBluePhoenix wrote:^ Yes, and Satan crews on the traitors Judas, Brutus, and Cassius. I simply added the part about the rivers in Greek mythology as further proof about Tunniel being Lucifer, or at least having the form of a snake as he did in the Garden of Eden.

Though, when was it mentioned the Angel was extracted from permafrost?

"The analysis following the permafrost extraction of the Third Angel was so extensive, all that was left were some bones." -Kaji, in glorious Engrish.

I have a hard time believing something called a permafrost extraction didn't involve extracting something from permafrost.

DarkBluePhoenix
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby DarkBluePhoenix » Mon Apr 09, 2018 11:24 am

ACGT-Samael wrote:I have a hard time believing something called a permafrost extraction didn't involve extracting something from permafrost.

I believe it, I just didn't remember the line that mentioned it.

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”