Adult swim. Ugh.

This is the place to start: Feel free to introduce yourself, have general conversations and casual discussions about all things Evangelion, including chit-chatty topics like "Sachiel is adorable" or "Which Eva kicks the most ass?"

Moderator: Board Staff

Josko
Embryo

Adult swim. Ugh.

•      
  •      

Postby Josko » Fri Oct 21, 2005 1:36 am

I got this email tonight from ADV, so I watched it. HORRIBLY done. Every scene change, the frame jumps about an inch. It seemed a bit short too.

I think they might have redone the "next episode' thing?

The email was stickied on 4chan, followed by about 300 "lol mtv" posts.

I made this for your pleasure:

[url]http://lolmtv.ytmnd.com/[/url]

Ryo
Matarael
Matarael

•      
  •      

Postby Ryo » Fri Oct 21, 2005 2:45 am

lol mtv!!11one

Too bad that I couldn't see it myself...

Or is it?
Asuka > Rei

sachiel
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby sachiel » Fri Oct 21, 2005 5:32 am

I was asleep until I heard Spike Spencer go, "I musn't run away!" in that horrible voice of his.

XD The rest of the episode made me giggle, and yet got me all depressed at the same time. What kind of attention is this going to attract for the series? And how much are they really going to cut out?

They showed EoE on an HBO channel. My friend was watching it, and they CUT OUT GNR. D: That's like. Half the movie right there. And the scientists being tangified, and most of the Instrumentality sequence.

Oh, and I saw the 4chan thing, too. :lol:
i AM the internets.

techiet
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby techiet » Fri Oct 21, 2005 8:05 am

Had a coughing fit just as they were starting it. I think watching the Platinum edition subbed is much more healthier.

Sventevith
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby Sventevith » Fri Oct 21, 2005 8:56 am

I wouldn't watch it even if I lived in the US, pah. :) I just think it's sad that they try and westernalize it...
"Meglio soli che mal accompagnati."

Digitalex
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby Digitalex » Fri Oct 21, 2005 10:36 am

A few things...

1) I got drawn in to Eva from watching the regular dub versions. I did more research and then bought the regular box set and eventually the Platinum box.

2) I watched the entire series in dub form first and enjoyed it. I then watched it in sub form with even better appreciation.

3) I learned about the director's cuts and EoE during my Eva-awakening. I eventually got those as well.

For seasoned Eva fans, they will be critical of the show being aired. Big deal. This version will still do well for the casual fan and bring it even more popularity in it's 10th year.

The fans wanting more might follow a similar path I listed above and eventually reach the same level of understanding about the series as most of the members here.

I don't see it as a bad thing. I for one am glad that they are treating it as a more mature anime show by airing on AS vs. dumbing it down even more and showing it on Toonami. It will bring more publicity and fandom which is a good thing.
Alex D.

sachiel
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby sachiel » Fri Oct 21, 2005 2:48 pm

@Digitalex: Yeah, I'll admit I saw it first in English, but I missed one or two episodes (it was on Anime Network, when I still had it), and didn't understand it at ALL, but thought I did. I was about 11. When I downloaded the fansub a year or so later, I not only got to see every episode, but I liked it much more.

I had a point I was going to make, but I'm too lazy, so I'll say this:

They play it around the same time (I think in between) Inuyasha and Full Metal Alchemist.

'Nuff said.
i AM the internets.

Shnooks
Israfel
Israfel

•      
  •      

Postby Shnooks » Fri Oct 21, 2005 2:49 pm

Yeah, I stayed up till 11:00 watching iron chef, and then I set my alarm to 12:30 so I wouldnt have to watch Futurama and Squidbillies D:.

I got up, watched 10 minutes of eva, and went back to sleep.

Yeah, i'm disappointed.

Digitalex
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby Digitalex » Fri Oct 21, 2005 3:29 pm

sachiel wrote:
They play it around the same time (I think in between) Inuyasha and Full Metal Alchemist.

'Nuff said.

LOL! I like FMA. As for Inuyasha, I don't like it or hate it. I just don't watch it.
Alex D.

sachiel
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby sachiel » Fri Oct 21, 2005 3:31 pm

Digitalex wrote:
sachiel wrote:

'Nuff said.

LOL! I like FMA. As for Inuyasha, I don't like it or hate it. I just don't watch it.

FMA is a cute show. I watch it sometimes, and I'm not bashing it or anything, but it's fanbase is crap.

Same with Inuyasha. Well, not entirely. Inuyasha was a good show, and then they went past the 200-episode mark. :? No anime series needs to be that long. Ever.
i AM the internets.

Digitalex
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby Digitalex » Fri Oct 21, 2005 3:44 pm

sachiel wrote:FMA is a cute show. I watch it sometimes, and I'm not bashing it or anything, but it's fanbase is crap.

I can't disagree with that.

Same with Inuyasha. Well, not entirely. Inuyasha was a good show, and then they went past the 200-episode mark. :? No anime series needs to be that long. Ever.

LOL! I feel the same way in general but there are some series that I am currently enjoying and like the fact that it keeps going. I treat it like new seasons of regular sit-coms on TV. I enjoyed DBZ as a long running show and I am enjoying Naruto even more. *puts on flame suit* :D
Alex D.

S.O.M
Embryo

Re: Adult swim. Ugh.

•      
  •      

Postby S.O.M » Fri Oct 21, 2005 3:57 pm

Josko wrote:I got this email tonight from ADV, so I watched it. HORRIBLY done. Every scene change, the frame jumps about an inch. It seemed a bit short too.

I think they might have redone the "next episode' thing?

The email was stickied on 4chan, followed by about 300 "lol mtv" posts.

I made this for your pleasure:

[url]http://lolmtv.ytmnd.com/[/url]

LoL, that's a 5 in my books!
Snake....SNAKE.....SSSSNNNAKKKKEEEE!!

Josko
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Josko » Fri Oct 21, 2005 5:53 pm

Don't misunderstand my post above.

Eva IS the best anime series ever. MTV saying it doesn't really help our cause.

As far as the subs/dubs.... I can stand the dubs... but not until like episode 13 or so. It takes a while for the voice actors to get a feel for the characters and stuff.

The voice actors take too much flak. I think people judge the whole dub based on the first few episodes, switch to the sub, and never go back.

Okay, if you're going to argue that, as a purist, you should listen to the Japanese and read the subs, I'll agree.

superdoughboy4
Sandalphon
Sandalphon

•      
  •      

Postby superdoughboy4 » Fri Oct 21, 2005 6:31 pm

Oh gawd.
Evangelion, dubbed on Cartoon Network...?
Especially, if it's on Cartoon Network/Adult Swim...
That just plain sucks. And if they really did change the frame setup and such, let's go hurt the people over at Adult Swim, shall we?

sachiel
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby sachiel » Fri Oct 21, 2005 6:36 pm

Digitalex wrote:LOL! I feel the same way in general but there are some series that I am currently enjoying and like the fact that it keeps going. I treat it like new seasons of regular sit-coms on TV. I enjoyed DBZ as a long running show and I am enjoying Naruto even more. *puts on flame suit* :D

I haven't really watched Naruto. I downloaded an episode or two, but still haven't gotten around to watching it. Though I really hate the mispronunciation of it on AS. It's not Na-RU-to, or NaRUTU, it's just...Naruto. x__x;

DBZ is...er, not really my thing, I think, so I won't go there. XD
i AM the internets.

Hexon.Arq
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby Hexon.Arq » Fri Oct 21, 2005 7:13 pm

So is this about Eva, Adult Swim, or MTV? Because I haven't read anything that hasn't been stated in other threads except for anything about MTV.

_you can't do anything, so don't even try
_get some help
_don't do what sonic does

Eternal Yamcha
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby Eternal Yamcha » Fri Oct 21, 2005 7:13 pm

Same with Inuyasha. Well, not entirely. Inuyasha was a good show, and then they went past the 200-episode mark. Confused No anime series needs to be that long. Ever.

Yeah, DBZ was awesome as a hella long show.

Unfortunately, I have a rommate. Who has control of the TV, since it is his. So when it came on, I immediately quit playing the game I was playing, pulled my headphones down just to hear...

"Yeah, we're not watching this. If I want to watch it, I'd just put in the DVDs."

That was blasphemy for me! Even if it was (not saying it was) crap, I'd still want to watch it. It's Evangelion for god's sake. So yeah, now I'm stuck watching it on my computer with my really awkward footage (I have the DVD boxset so it's not illegal), guess that's just it for me.

What really pissed me off, is we ended up watching Jerry Maguire (or however it is spelled, don't really care.) I mean, I liked Tom Cruise back when he was Batman and in Jerry Maguire... But now that he has gone insane... I just find him annoying.

wrack
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby wrack » Sat Oct 22, 2005 7:00 am

sachiel wrote:They showed EoE on an HBO channel. My friend was watching it, and they CUT OUT GNR. D: That's like. Half the movie right there. And the scientists being tangified, and most of the Instrumentality sequence.
That was hardly unexpected, but still kind of... :?

Yep. Naked women are sick and horrible. Shooting people is cool.

Sventevith
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby Sventevith » Sat Oct 22, 2005 8:13 am

I just hope all the idiots will start bashing this show for shit and introduce more of you americans (too many of you americans on national forums in my opinion though, or brits, c'mon other Europeans/Africans/Asians/South Americans! Don't be afraid.) that are sensible to the scene. ;)
"Meglio soli che mal accompagnati."

TsubasaNoKoikokoro
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby TsubasaNoKoikokoro » Sat Oct 22, 2005 9:45 am

I first saw the last five episodes of the dub on Anime Network.

Then Anime Network showed the subs from the begining and I became an Eva-obsessive person.

I downloaded EoE.

As for the Adult Swim well...

I am actually kinda annoyed about it, it is going to become one of those things that seven year olds see and act like they are cool because of it.

And that will ruin Eva.

As Golem said, "Eva is for smart syfisticated people and teenage boys with sexual problems!" The latter being me. <.< >.>
=p

Return to “Evangelion General and Chit-Chat”