How would the characters fare in Silent Hill?

This is the place to start: Feel free to introduce yourself, have general conversations and casual discussions about all things Evangelion, including chit-chatty topics like "Sachiel is adorable" or "Which Eva kicks the most ass?"

Moderator: Board Staff

CyberXIII
Bardiel
Bardiel

How would the characters fare in Silent Hill?

•      
  •      

Postby CyberXIII » Mon Jan 17, 2011 9:06 am

Evangelion is infamous for how badly screwed up the entire cast is. Silent Hill feeds on the guilt, insanity, and pain of its victims and creates monsters based on those emotions.

What would happen if Tokyo-3 turned into that fog-infested hellhole overnight?
"Crapsack worlds and anti heroes have their place. Sometimes, they are very necessary. But an endless diet of dreary cyberpunk and dark fantasy won't do us any more favors than an endless feast of glurge. I'd argue that the cynical nature of these really hurt our ability to hope and work for better. It gets us to accept the hopelessness and jaded outlook of things as 'That's the way it is. I can't change it,' and stops us from fighting when we NEED to fight."

I am ask-shinji-ikari on tumblr.com. Feel free to ask me questions!

Kendrix
Defender of Puppy Boy
Defender of Puppy Boy

•      
  •      

Postby Kendrix » Mon Jan 17, 2011 11:43 am

I never saw/played that game/movie/whatever, but judging from your description, none of them would survive three days.
I wanted to try harvesting the rice

I wanted to hold Tsubame more

I wanted to stay together forever with the boy I like

Eva Yojimbo
Redbeard
Redbeard

•      
  •      

Postby Eva Yojimbo » Mon Jan 17, 2011 12:20 pm

From what I remember of that gigantic Silent Hill guide, the theory is that the people that walk into SH find themselves facing physical manifestations of their psychological demons, so I'm almost inclined to say that NGE IS SH, to a certain extent. It's just been transplanted from horror to sci-fi. If they were actually in SH, I'm guessing Shinji would constantly be chased by a demon train, and Asuka would have to fight that doll that used a rope as a weapon.
Cinelogue & Forced Perspective Cinema
^ Writing as Jonathan Henderson ^
We're all adrift on the stormy seas of Evangelion, desperately trying to gather what flotsam can be snatched from the gale into a somewhat seaworthy interpretation so that we can at last reach the shores of reason and respite. - ObsessiveMathsFreak
Jimbo has posted enough to be considered greater than or equal to everyone, and or synonymous with the concept of 'everyone'. - Muggy
I've seen so many changeful years, / to Earth I am a stranger grown: / I wander in the ways of men, / alike unknowing and unknown: / Unheard, unpitied, unrelieved, / I bear alone my load of care; / For silent, low, on beds of dust, / Lie all that would my sorrows share. - Robert Burns' Lament for James

CommieGuy
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby CommieGuy » Mon Jan 17, 2011 12:47 pm

That would be just... epic.

It would be also funny to imagine the NGE characters in those nonsense endings. xD
"If the opposition disarms, well and good. If it refuses to disarm, we shall disarm it ourselves." - Josef Stalin

Fireball
First Ancestor
First Ancestor

•      
  •      

Postby Fireball » Mon Jan 17, 2011 12:55 pm

giant naked pyramid heads everywhere.

"I was born into the wrong time" - laughed the girl

「<ゝω・)\綺羅星☆!!/
[/size]

Galaxy News Reidio
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Galaxy News Reidio » Mon Jan 17, 2011 12:59 pm

Shinji's Silent Hill would probably look a lot like James Sunderland's - equal parts sex and shame.

Asuka's would probably be full of parodies of beautiful and talented people - monster models, monster scientists, monster teachers, etc.

I'm not sure about the others.
Even in death, I still nerd.

TehDonutKing
Camel Dilettante
Camel Dilettante

•      
  •      

Postby TehDonutKing » Mon Jan 17, 2011 1:31 pm

Rei and Gendo would have the most complex Silent Hill.

Rei's would be filled with demonic anthropomorphic personifications of complex emotions; such as love, guilt, hatred, fear, grief, etc..

Gendo would be hounded by twisted images of his son, wife, Rei, Adam, and Lilith, all in different grotesque forms.

Gendo would probably go insane, but Rei is so badass she'd get the good ending her first playthrough.
/hj

I said and did some dumb and hurtful things in my time here when i was younger. If i ever hurt you, i'm sorry. If you see any of this while reading old threads, i'm learning and trying to improve. Donut redemption arc in progress.

liquidus118
Zeruel
Zeruel

•      
  •      

Postby liquidus118 » Mon Jan 17, 2011 1:33 pm

Wait wait wait. You just asked me to imagine what Shinji Ikari would see if he were to go into a Town that manifests his deepest, darkest thoughts, feelings and desires and gives them shape in the form of disturbed symbolic creatures?
...I may never sleep again.

But in all seriousness I have no idea what they'd see. If Asuka's feelings towards herself are anything like James Sunderland's then she would probably just be completely ignored. Other than that I can't really think of anything.

That would probably be the greatest cross-over in the history of ever, though.

SilentRobert23
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby SilentRobert23 » Mon Jan 17, 2011 2:10 pm

For Shinji, a strange penguin would show up every time he entered a room, and every time he would exclaim that it's his fault and he JUST. CAN'T. DO IT.

But seriously, Galaxy News Reidio and TehDonutKing said all I can say.
You knew what I was doing in that graveyard.

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

•      
  •      

Postby NemZ » Mon Jan 17, 2011 3:15 pm

Oh my... this sounds delightful. Some beasties I'd like to see:

Towering shadowy figures that have no fronts, only 2 backs
Gendo walking away at the train station

Naked children's torsos with crushed-in skulls and a tail of ruptured organs
Casualties of Shinji's first sortie and ep19 shelter victims

Sentient pools of bubbling liquid (orange, white or red) that float in midair and attempt to engulf/suffocate targets.
LCL, blood, semen... lots of examples in the show/movie

Fleshy tumbleweeds made of thousands of rotting corpse breasts that constantly emit unbearable screeching noises.
Shinji's boob fetish and personification of Asuka's unpleasant demanding side

Pale, headless naked girls that try to glomp a target before exploding in a shower of gore like a suicide bomber, often attacking in hordes and making giggling noises.
the Reiquarium, obviously

Long, flexible black arms that suddenly shoot out of dark corners, open windows, etc, sometimes ending in hands that strangle and other times tapering down to a bladed edge.
Bardiel and Zeruel

Giant disembodied female reproductive systems that crawl along the ground like snails on their writhing labia, ovaries for eyestalks and so on, leaving corrosive bloody trails in their wake.
Asuka and Rei's issues with fertility or the lack thereof

Floating 'squids' with distorted screaming faces and hands trying to claw their way out of the head, and tentacles made like marrionettes from stitched together arms and legs, but with far too many segments and with joints arranged to bend in random directions, not coordinated.
highly stylized version of Asuka's hanging mom/doll

Tiny insect-like beings that dart in to attack then run away before preparing to dart in again. After hitting they mutter "I mustn't... I mustn't..." that trails off as they escape.
Shinji the coward + those damned cicadas

Gigantic armored fists that reach in from outside the play area, destroying the surrounding landscape and attacking NPC helpers but never harming the player.
How Shinji sees the Eva, according to EoE

Misshapen doppelgangers of the player that try to circle just out of reach, sneaking in attacks when they can that do barely any damage but annoy the hell out of you, and chirp over and over "who are you?"
Rei's identity crisis, Shinji in ep26
Last edited by NemZ on Mon Jan 17, 2011 4:24 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Rest In Peace ~ 1978 - 2017
"I'd consider myself a realist, alright? but in philosophical terms I'm what's called a pessimist. It means I'm bad at parties." - Rust Cohle
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize that half of 'em are stupider than that." - George Carlin
"The internet: It's like a training camp for never amounting to anything." - Oglaf
"I think internet message boards and the like are dangerous." - Anno

liquidus118
Zeruel
Zeruel

•      
  •      

Postby liquidus118 » Mon Jan 17, 2011 3:24 pm

Wow.
Dude. Go get hired by Vatra. Right fucking now. If I find out that your week's plans do not involve getting hired to contribute to Silent Hill Downpour I am going to cry.

I really like the double-backed one, and the one that just keeps asking "Who are you?". The gigantic fists one is brilliant, too.

Some of them I don't get, though...What's the thinking behind the tumbleweed? And was the female reproductive one just for Shinji's sexually-frustrated lulz?

CyberXIII
Bardiel
Bardiel

•      
  •      

Postby CyberXIII » Mon Jan 17, 2011 4:00 pm

@NemZ
Yeah, half of that was grotesque, but didn't seem to have any deeper meaning beyond being creepy beyond all reason.

The reason I brought this up is because, again, NGE has one of the most screwed up casts in anime, and as such they'd fit in with Silent Hill's horrors.

I wonder if the EVA's would make good monsters...
"Crapsack worlds and anti heroes have their place. Sometimes, they are very necessary. But an endless diet of dreary cyberpunk and dark fantasy won't do us any more favors than an endless feast of glurge. I'd argue that the cynical nature of these really hurt our ability to hope and work for better. It gets us to accept the hopelessness and jaded outlook of things as 'That's the way it is. I can't change it,' and stops us from fighting when we NEED to fight."

I am ask-shinji-ikari on tumblr.com. Feel free to ask me questions!

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

•      
  •      

Postby NemZ » Mon Jan 17, 2011 4:18 pm

Added notes to explain them for anybody that doesn't get it.

Also, just wait until mugwump sees this thread, or O-chan, for that matter. I expect to be completely outclassed.
Rest In Peace ~ 1978 - 2017
"I'd consider myself a realist, alright? but in philosophical terms I'm what's called a pessimist. It means I'm bad at parties." - Rust Cohle
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize that half of 'em are stupider than that." - George Carlin
"The internet: It's like a training camp for never amounting to anything." - Oglaf
"I think internet message boards and the like are dangerous." - Anno

MugwumpHasNoLiver
Erotic Humiliation
Erotic Humiliation

•      
  •      

Postby MugwumpHasNoLiver » Mon Jan 17, 2011 4:54 pm

View Original PostNemZ wrote:Also, just wait until mugwump sees this thread, or O-chan, for that matter. I expect to be completely outclassed.

I admit, that's a tough act to follow. You have a wonderful flair for the grotesque, NemZ. I'm impressed. I might come back later, though. I was in the middle of something that sadly doesn't involve cannibalistic ovarian tracts. :sigh:
"Now, from Nature we obtain abundant information about ourselves, and precious little about others. About the woman you clasp in your arms, can you say with certainty that she does not feign pleasure? About the woman you mistreat, are you quite sure that from abuse she does not derive some obscure and lascivious satisfaction? Let us confine ourselves to simple evidence: through thoughtfulness, gentleness, concern for the feelings of others we saddle our own pleasure with restrictions, and make this sacrifice to obtain a doubtful result." -The Divine Marquis

"I agree Hans, but we have talked about those anal fisting analogies." -Werner Herzog

Trajan
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby Trajan » Mon Jan 17, 2011 5:48 pm

They’d all die and or lose their minds. Asuka would probably crack first.

The End
Movin' Right Along
"Everything has its beauty but not everyone sees it." - Confucius
"All styles are good except the tiresome kind." - Voltaire

liquidus118
Zeruel
Zeruel

•      
  •      

Postby liquidus118 » Mon Jan 17, 2011 6:00 pm

View Original PostTrajan wrote:They’d all die and or lose their minds. Asuka would probably crack first.

The End

Aaaah, but that's just the Bad Ending. After that they restart through the ancient power of The Great Memory Card and get the Good + ending which is pretty much EoTV's last minute and a half.

Allemann
Potential Pilot
Potential Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby Allemann » Mon Jan 17, 2011 6:01 pm

View Original Postliquidus118 wrote:Aaaah, but that's just the Bad Ending. After that they restart through the ancient power of The Great Memory Card and get the Good + ending which is pretty much EoTV's last minute and a half.

And the special ending is aliens abducting Gendo, who only looks for his little boy.

liquidus118
Zeruel
Zeruel

•      
  •      

Postby liquidus118 » Mon Jan 17, 2011 6:05 pm

View Original PostAllemann wrote:And the special ending is aliens abducting Gendo, who only looks for his little boy.

Actually we find out that the FAR are just a trolling effort on Anno's part and are actually the start of the UFO Ending, and the sole purpose of Rebuild is to elaborate on it.
Y'all heard it here first!

Trajan
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby Trajan » Mon Jan 17, 2011 6:58 pm

We already have the special ending. It’s called End of Evangelion.
Movin' Right Along
"Everything has its beauty but not everyone sees it." - Confucius
"All styles are good except the tiresome kind." - Voltaire

ShadowGT
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby ShadowGT » Mon Jan 17, 2011 9:04 pm

Evangelion should of ended like SH's bonus ending. Shinji walks into a room to find a Shibu inu dog controlling everything thats happened so far on one of those video editing consoles.
PSN: ShadowGT-R
Steam: Fatpizza20

Return to “Evangelion General and Chit-Chat”