[LAEM] A horrible thought…

The place for all of the old Live Action Evangelion Movie threads.

Moderator: Board Staff

ThroneofDravaris
Sachiel
Sachiel

A horrible thought…

Postby ThroneofDravaris » Mon Oct 17, 2005 9:52 am

Do you ever get the feeling that if this movie is released and becomes a success, someone is going to come up to you one day and say something to the effect of, “Did you know they made an animated series based on Evangelion?”

Do you ever get the feeling that said person will then get their face smashed in by you?
BEWAREOBLIVIONISATHAND

The Eva Monkey
IT'S OVER 9000!!!
IT'S OVER 9000!!!

Postby The Eva Monkey » Mon Oct 17, 2005 10:12 am

I suspect there would be a few people ignorant enough to make that statement.

Most likely it would be the same as with stuff like "The Ring", "The Grudge", "Dark Water", "Shall We Dance?", and "Hello Kitty". Most people won't even know it's based on a Japanese version until someone tells them. I don't know many people who think any of those things "were made into" a Japanese iteration, so I doubt Eva would be the same, especially since Eva has had a significant amount of fandom over here, and is now airing on Cartoon Network.

ice reaper
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

Re: A horrible thought…

Postby ice reaper » Mon Oct 17, 2005 1:04 pm

ThroneofDravaris wrote:Do you ever get the feeling that if this movie is released and becomes a success, someone is going to come up to you one day and say something to the effect of, “Did you know they made an animated series based on Evangelion?”

Do you ever get the feeling that said person will then get their face smashed in by you?

i think the said perrson having a smashed face would be getting off lightly; i would go around to their house at night, set it on fire, chop said person's legs off and watch said person try to drag his bloody stumbs away from the flames. said person will fail.

Most likely it would be the same as with stuff like "The Ring", "The Grudge", "Dark Water", "Shall We Dance?", and "Hello Kitty". Most people won't even know it's based on a Japanese version until someone tells them. I don't know many people who think any of those things "were made into" a Japanese iteration, so I doubt Eva would be the same, especially since Eva has had a significant amount of fandom over here, and is now airing on Cartoon Network.

not on england cartoon network ; _ ; no anime other than pokemon and that sort of crap.

there is going to be an increase in arson/ murder cases in the near future........shuuuush

"The divine fall silent as the freil plea aloud"

PieRat
Embryo

Postby PieRat » Mon Oct 17, 2005 1:58 pm

ThroneofDravaris wrote:Do you ever get the feeling that if this movie is released and becomes a success, someone is going to come up to you one day and say something to the effect of, “Did you know they made an animated series based on Evangelion?”

Reminds me of what happened when the LotR movies came, guess how many people came up to me and said : "Btw, did you know that someone wrote a book about LotR? Imo the movie is 100x better though..."
[URL=http://imageshack.us]Image[/URL]

Hexon.Arq
Pilot
Pilot

Postby Hexon.Arq » Mon Oct 17, 2005 4:26 pm

PieRat wrote:Reminds me of what happened when the LotR movies came, guess how many people came up to me and said : "Btw, did you know that someone wrote a book about LotR? Imo the movie is 100x better though..."

I give up. How many people? All of them should have been shot in the face--this coming from one who's really not into the whole LOTR thing at all.

_you can't do anything, so don't even try
_get some help
_don't do what sonic does

Shnooks
Israfel
Israfel

Postby Shnooks » Mon Oct 17, 2005 5:23 pm

PieRat wrote:
Reminds me of what happened when the LotR movies came, guess how many people came up to me and said : "Btw, did you know that someone wrote a book about LotR? Imo the movie is 100x better though..."

WHAT IS WRONG WITH THOSE PEOPLE?

I didn't like LotR, BUT UGH. THATS DISGUSTING.

To not know that...oh my god. I luckily didn't meet anyone who said that, 'cause if I did I'd beat them.

Shwiggie
Lilith

Postby Shwiggie » Tue Oct 18, 2005 3:36 pm

I think it'll be a great thing for no more reason than the fact that more people will be introduced to it. I don't personally believe any live-action adaptation will be capable of doing the franchise justice--there are just too many things will have to be altered or done away with in order to market and make it work in a two hour span.

And you know that ADV will take advantage of the film's release to pawn more Eva DVDs off on the populace. They'll probably have the series available in a Blu-Ray DVD box set with re-remastered high-definition video and 8-channel sound. So it'll be around for the LA newbies to find, get into, find the same BS online to get confused over, and give us something to gripe about in another few years :)

While I fear Eva won't get that level of dedication and dogged determination to be adapted in full faith, it may well propel interest as I mentioned above, just as the LotR movies did for the original set and related Tolkien books. As much as I loved the LotR movies, they drove me to read the book after I was so aggravated with the end of Two Towers (just seemed like a lot of random stuff thrown in with no real climax...to be expected, though), and I found something into which I could lose myself and thoroughly enjoy. Hopefully an Eva adaptation will have a similar effect, no matter how faithful it is to the original work.

Heidroch
Lilith

Postby Heidroch » Sat Nov 05, 2005 11:17 pm

The biggest fear for me is if Hot Topic or some related trash store starts selling Evangelion shirts just to cater to all the ignorant grade school emo kids who would think Evangelion is about their life "struggles".

Hexon.Arq
Pilot
Pilot

Postby Hexon.Arq » Sun Nov 06, 2005 12:04 am

In a way it is.

But hey, if it makes parents uneasy, I'm cool with that. Evangelion as a flagship for the fucked-up kids of the world. Groovy.

_get some help

Six Winged Angel
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

Postby Six Winged Angel » Sun Nov 06, 2005 12:54 am

man this is my worst nightmare, but here, it will happen to me more than once, I'm sure of it :evil:
~But someday you will come to understand that on your back, there are wings with which you can fly on the distant future.

Hexon.Arq
Pilot
Pilot

Postby Hexon.Arq » Sun Nov 06, 2005 1:12 am

Why would you be so distressed over how people ignorantly view a cartoon? How does it affect you?

God, how do Trekkies respond when a Star Trek movie becomes a success?

_get some help

Six Winged Angel
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

Postby Six Winged Angel » Sun Nov 06, 2005 1:23 am

I just hate that

:P :P

oh, and animes are not cartoons :P
Last edited by Six Winged Angel on Wed Nov 16, 2005 3:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
~But someday you will come to understand that on your back, there are wings with which you can fly on the distant future.

poetic_assassin
Shamshel
Shamshel

Postby poetic_assassin » Wed Nov 16, 2005 3:16 pm

I doubt anyone will ask that. It'll probably say something like "From the hit anime series" or something like that.
Last edited by poetic_assassin on Thu Jan 05, 2006 4:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Phaze
Sandalphon
Sandalphon

Postby Phaze » Mon Dec 26, 2005 1:38 pm

Six Winged Angel wrote:I just hate that

Also, the plural form of "anime" is "anime."
The purpose of writing is to inflate weak ideas, obscure poor reasoning, and inhibit clarity. With a little practice, writing can be an intimidating and impenetrable fog!

Hexon.Arq
Pilot
Pilot

Postby Hexon.Arq » Mon Dec 26, 2005 2:38 pm

And they are cartoons. Haha, you watch cartoons! Baby. :P

_get some help

jcmoorehead
Leliel
Leliel

Postby jcmoorehead » Fri Dec 30, 2005 11:44 am

Hexon.Arq wrote:God, how do Trekkies respond when a Star Trek movie becomes a success?

We respond fairly well, although it's not as bad as we could respond when the directors of it really screw it up. :P

Relating to the topic, I myself am a fairly new fan of Evangelion but I'd have to say if the film was a success and someone mentioned what has been stated in the first post it'd probably just laugh at them for showing such ignorance, ignorance being that you can garuantee that for the previews for the film it'll be hyped up as being based on one of the most popular anime ever created.

Six Winged Angel
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

Postby Six Winged Angel » Mon Jan 02, 2006 11:37 am

Hexon.Arq wrote:

And they are cartoons. Haha, you watch cartoons! Baby. :P

........ :P

under no circumstances they are like cartoons anyway :P

(oh so it is anime not animes :P today I learnt something)

Hexon.Arq
Pilot
Pilot

Postby Hexon.Arq » Mon Jan 02, 2006 8:29 pm

Six Winged Angel wrote:under no circumstances they are like cartoons anyway :P

http://www.animenation.net/forums/showthread.php?t=148694

http://www.animenation.net/forums/showthread.php?t=161896

_get some help

Archon Divinus
Embryo

Postby Archon Divinus » Fri Feb 10, 2006 3:59 pm

Six Winged Angel wrote:under no circumstances they are like cartoons anyway

How are they not like cartoons. Cartoon simply means an animated show. Anime is animated, thus cartoon.

TheBlueTree
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

Postby TheBlueTree » Fri Feb 10, 2006 7:01 pm

in a dictionary scence yeah... but he means cartoons as in kiddy crap
Mr. Bud
"Suits? You've got to be kidding me.
Mighty Morphin' Ev-an-gel-i-ooooonnnn!"

Seele 08
"Is it a sign that you might be an otaku when your betta fish are all named after anime characters? One betta is named....Gendo. No wonder my mom and freinds think I'm a nut case."

Return to “Live Action Evangelion Movie”