EvaGeeks' Most Watched Movies of 2011

A subforum for discussions about Film, TV, and Videos.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

EvaGeeks' Most Watched Movies of 2011

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Sun Apr 10, 2011 10:22 pm

Continued from this thread: http://forum.evageeks.org/viewtopic.php?t=11359

In defense of Alien Resurrection, I think Jean-Pierre Jeunet & the crew did the best they could with Joss Whedon's absolutely awful screenplay. At one point, Whedon actually had Ripley defeat an Alien using kung-fu because it was 'cool'. At another point he had the heroes fight the Aliens in a greenhouse on the spaceship & they came across (during an action scene) huge bushels of weed that they picked & then commentating on the benefits of weed in the military. Mind you, this was while an Alien was attacking them & they were being defended by the cliche Asian hero St. Just (he envisioned Yun-Fat Chow in the role...not because he had to act or anything... St. Just only spoke in bad Asian based puns & held two guns that he shot while jumping through the air).

Whedon was pissed Fox asked him to cut out the more questionable material- i.e. Kung Fu Fighting Aliens and the fact to make his script into a film circa the mid 90s the final product would've cost somewhere around $250 million. Since Whedon was under contract to deliver a finalized script he ultimately did but as always bitched about the film- mostly because he had no control over the final product. He's a controlling "artist" & likes to either direct or heavily produce anything with his name on it (which naturally makes sense) but he did not have the clout to do that on Alien 4 & has always carried a grudge about it. Doesn't change the fact his script was AWFUL!

Jean-Pierre knew the script & project was what it was (the 4th entry in a franchise that was being refashioned to play to a younger audience after the 'less fanciful' 3rd entry) & decided to take it on as an experiment in Hollywood filmmaking. Ultimately, I feel Jean-Pierre made one of the best black comedies while working in the Hollywood system.

I've never understood all the love Whedon gets as a writer. He's pretty one note writer. Adding a "y" to words does not make them suitable advantages & one liners shouldn't be in EVERY scene. I expect his directing work on "The Avengers" will get a lot of nerd love simply because Robert Downey Jr will be quoting Whedon's lame(y) dialogue.
Last edited by Gendo'sPapa on Sun Apr 10, 2011 10:24 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Azathoth
Angel
Angel

Postby Azathoth » Sun Apr 10, 2011 10:23 pm

Inception's action was quite hit-and-miss for me. Not nearly enough zero-gravity brawling and pulling grenade launchers out of hammerspace, too much standard issue punchan shootan. Actually the entire movie is kind of hit and miss, but I do feel they were headed the right direction with the action, they just didn't take it far enough.
Nothing is so valuable that it need not be started afresh, nothing is so rich that it need not be enriched constantly.

Eva Yojimbo
Redbeard
Redbeard

Postby Eva Yojimbo » Mon Apr 11, 2011 12:01 am

Summer Wars review should be up tomorrow, guys.

View Original PostTwin Drive Sigma Aquarion wrote:I do like cerebral movies, GuyverSpawn.
:hitthetable: Ok, one of two things is happening here, one is that you meant to type "cereal" movies instead of "cerebral", as in "I like movies I can watch while gurgling cereal", or you have a very f'd up view of what a cerebral movie is.

View Original PostGendo'sPapa wrote:I've never understood all the love Whedon gets as a writer. He's pretty one note writer.
He has a knack for creating memorable characters and for developing them three-dimensionally when given enough time. Buffy, for all its cheesiness, had some truly great moments, especially stuff like Hush, which showed that Whedon could be a fantastic writer of visual drama even when stripped of his trademark dialogue. Firefly was consistently great and one of the real tragedies of television. It had perhaps the best all-around cast I'd ever seen of any sci-fi show. So much potential wasted...

It does strike me, though, that his style wouldn't work nearly as well in feature film. The Firefly movie was crap compared to the TV series. His style simply needs the extra space and time that TV provides.
Cinelogue & Forced Perspective Cinema
^ Writing as Jonathan Henderson ^
We're all adrift on the stormy seas of Evangelion, desperately trying to gather what flotsam can be snatched from the gale into a somewhat seaworthy interpretation so that we can at last reach the shores of reason and respite. - ObsessiveMathsFreak
Jimbo has posted enough to be considered greater than or equal to everyone, and or synonymous with the concept of 'everyone'. - Muggy
I've seen so many changeful years, / to Earth I am a stranger grown: / I wander in the ways of men, / alike unknowing and unknown: / Unheard, unpitied, unrelieved, / I bear alone my load of care; / For silent, low, on beds of dust, / Lie all that would my sorrows share. - Robert Burns' Lament for James

toe mash
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

Postby toe mash » Mon Apr 11, 2011 6:49 am

Men In black

Great, funny, witty. I see why it's so loved.

Aliens

FUCK YEAH even better effects and more frightening than 1st one although it approaches it in a very different way.

I FEAST ON HIGH BUDGET SCI-FI MOVIES, FEED ME MORE OM NOM NOM

Also I think I'll discontinue with the Alien Franchise. For one the next 2 movies sound dumb as shit and two.. Is it even possible to improve after both Ridley Scott and James Cameron for thrilling high budget SF flicks?
That's what I thought.

Oz
Finland Miracle
Finland Miracle

Postby Oz » Mon Apr 11, 2011 2:40 pm

Ingmar Bergman's The Silence: Without a few over the top moments this could be a genuine masterpiece even by Bergman's high standards. A complex take on the "silence" between all the characters who are wandering around looking for love and intimacy. Strong characterization and impeccable form guarantee an interesting ride.
"I'd really like to have as much money as you have, Oz" - robersora
"No you wouldn't. Oz's secret is he goes without food to buy that stuff. He hasn't eaten in years." - Brikhaus

"Often I get the feeling that deep down, your little girl is struggling with your embrace of filmfaggotry and your loldeep fixations, and the conflict that arises from such a contradiction is embodied pretty well in Kureha's character. But obviously it's not any sort of internal conflict that makes the analogy work. It's the pigtails." - Merridian
"Oh, Oz, I fear I'm losing my filmfag to the depths of Japanese pop. If only there were more films with Japanese girls in glow-in-the-dark costumes you'd be the David Bordwell of that genre." - Jimbo
"Oz, I think we need to stage an intervention and force you to watch some movies that aren't made in Japan." - Trajan

backseatjesus
Pilot
Pilot

Postby backseatjesus » Mon Apr 11, 2011 6:26 pm

Dr. Strangelove

First time I watch it, I loved it. This time though..... it didn't click with me at all.

EvangelionFan
Test Subject
Test Subject

Postby EvangelionFan » Mon Apr 11, 2011 6:45 pm

View Original Postbackseatjesus wrote:First time I watch it, I loved it. This time though..... it didn't click with me at all.

:lurk:

Clearly, you are without ten females.
Voluntary Illusion.

THE Hal E. Burton 9000
Elder God
Elder God

Postby THE Hal E. Burton 9000 » Mon Apr 11, 2011 7:25 pm

View Original PostGuyver Spawn wrote:I'm surprise that you like Inception since it seems like a film that you would have hate for being too confusing.
Inception was surprisingly linear and straightforward, it could have been an indecipherable mess if the writing and plot were not as centered on the character of Cobb and his primary motivation

and Alien 3 and Alien: Resurrection were pretty awful, especially when compared to the first two films

Alien 3 might have been OK or even good had some of the elements of some earlier screenplays been included (Hicks and the others not getting conveniently written out by death, the setting on Earth in small-town USA, the corporate rivals and socio-political adversaries of Weyland-Yutani and their struggles, more action sequences with the aliens/xenomorphs, etc.) though there other things that were fortunately left out (that virus thing or "change", Ripley being a secondary character, the silly and ridiculous new facehuggers among other new aliens and ideas that bordered on a deus ex machina level retcon, etc.)

Alien: Resurrection was unsalvageable, bringing back Ripley in any form that is not a prequel, remake or re-imagining is so awkward and forced unless Alien 3 was made out to be "just a dream" (though even that would be quite cheap), and they failed in trying to open the idea of remaking the franchise with Winona Ryder being a cross between a younger Ripley and a female Bishop
- TEH Fabulous Hal E. Burton 9000

P.S. For those wanting to discuss a matter with yours truly not pertaining to the general topic at hand, PM me. Please and thank you.

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Mon Apr 11, 2011 8:07 pm

I saw Evangelion 2.22: You Can (Not) Advance twice this week in various film parties I threw in celebration of finally finding work in the film industry. Some other films that I only saw once this weekend were Evangelion 1.11: You Are (Not) Alone (had to get someone caught up before screening 2.22), Ink, Franklyn, Love & Pop, and I'll include my short film Sweet Sixteen for the discretion of others as to whether or not one should include short films one has made himself in this thread.

Also, I "was" Mission Impossible 2 Saturday night. I should probably stop getting accomplished by short men who can't act to save their lives, as it makes me feel desperate. :wink: Though seriously, for as stupid and over-the-top as that film was, I couldn't help but have fun watching parts of it.

Trajan
Test Subject
Test Subject

Postby Trajan » Mon Apr 11, 2011 8:52 pm

Stanley Kubrick's The Killing.

It's amazing how varied a filmmaker Kubrick was, and it's almost impossible to wrap my head around the fact that this was the guy who made 2001 and A Clockwork Orange in the next fifteen years.
Movin' Right Along
"Everything has its beauty but not everyone sees it." - Confucius
"All styles are good except the tiresome kind." - Voltaire

Guyver Spawn
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

Postby Guyver Spawn » Mon Apr 11, 2011 10:39 pm

The Invasion (2007) - A poor remake of "Invasion of the Body Snatchers" and just a really dull film. The movie is even more slower then the 70's remake, the characters where forgettable, and and the movie was so boring to watch. I like some things about the movie, but I don't think we need three remakes of the same movie. 4/10
Xbox live gamertag: Guyver Spawn 27
PSN: Hellspawn28

Oz
Finland Miracle
Finland Miracle

Postby Oz » Mon Apr 11, 2011 11:47 pm

View Original PostEvangelionFan wrote:Clearly, you are without ten females.

Yes. :hitthetable:

EvangelionFan's role should be revised in Muggy's novel. He is that lurker who stays out of sight for long periods of time only to suddenly pop up and say something very silly. Usually he disappears right after that again.
"No you wouldn't. Oz's secret is he goes without food to buy that stuff. He hasn't eaten in years." - Brikhaus

"Often I get the feeling that deep down, your little girl is struggling with your embrace of filmfaggotry and your loldeep fixations, and the conflict that arises from such a contradiction is embodied pretty well in Kureha's character. But obviously it's not any sort of internal conflict that makes the analogy work. It's the pigtails." - Merridian
"Oh, Oz, I fear I'm losing my filmfag to the depths of Japanese pop. If only there were more films with Japanese girls in glow-in-the-dark costumes you'd be the David Bordwell of that genre." - Jimbo
"Oz, I think we need to stage an intervention and force you to watch some movies that aren't made in Japan." - Trajan

Azathoth
Angel
Angel

Postby Azathoth » Tue Apr 12, 2011 12:56 am

View Original PostTHE Hal E. Burton 9000 wrote:Inception was surprisingly linear and straightforward, it could have been an indecipherable mess if the writing and plot were not as centered on the character of Cobb and his primary motivation

Yeah that kind of disappointed me. For a movie about dreams it sure is coherent. My annoyance was aggravated a little by the opening scenes - the transition from Old Saito in Limbo to Young Saito in the (visually identical) dinner-party dream is surreal enough that you kind of have hopes for the rest of the movie to be as colossal and glorious a mess as dreams really are. Nope.

As for me, I just rewatched Pink Floyd The Wall. Pink's (slash Waters') pitiful childhood is still way more effective to me than the whoop-de-do I'm a rockstar and I'm batshit crazy stuff later. I don't know if it's Waters trying to portray Syd Barrett in full-on acid meltdown, or satirize that, or what. Pink's eyebrow-shaving psychotic break leaves him looking a proper Neo-Nazi demagogue, sure, but I can't say that this suave creep look squares too well with what Barrett actually looked like at the time:

SPOILER: Show

I don't know. Far be it from me to understand how a band kills itself, I guess.
Nothing is so valuable that it need not be started afresh, nothing is so rich that it need not be enriched constantly.

MugwumpHasNoLiver
Erotic Humiliation
Erotic Humiliation

Postby MugwumpHasNoLiver » Tue Apr 12, 2011 2:50 am

As a witness to the live streaming Cronenburg Double Feature hosted on Honsou and Gasmask's channels, I have seen both Naked Lunch and Crash. Seeing, as Merri and I are the only Burroughs nuts on EGF, and Merri was no way involved with the stream, I provided a sort of running commentary of Naked Lunch, as it can be pretty obtuse without a decent working knowledge of the life and work of William S. Burroughs.

It was my first time seeing Crash, but it will not be last my last, I can assure you.

Edit: Oh, this was my 2000th post. I'm adding this addendum for prosperity.
Last edited by MugwumpHasNoLiver on Tue Apr 12, 2011 3:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Now, from Nature we obtain abundant information about ourselves, and precious little about others. About the woman you clasp in your arms, can you say with certainty that she does not feign pleasure? About the woman you mistreat, are you quite sure that from abuse she does not derive some obscure and lascivious satisfaction? Let us confine ourselves to simple evidence: through thoughtfulness, gentleness, concern for the feelings of others we saddle our own pleasure with restrictions, and make this sacrifice to obtain a doubtful result." -The Divine Marquis

"I agree Hans, but we have talked about those anal fisting analogies." -Werner Herzog

child of Lilith
Celestial Serendipity
Celestial Serendipity

Postby child of Lilith » Tue Apr 12, 2011 2:59 am

Congratulations on reaching 2000 posts, Mugwump. I knew you could make it. :thumbsup:
"Let the right one in. Let the old dreams die. Let the wrong ones go. They cannot do, what you want them to do."- Morrissey, Let the Right One Slip In

"Happy people can be so cruel"- Claudia, Silent Hill 3

"everlasting, true love, I am yours"- Rule of Rose

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Tue Apr 12, 2011 3:11 am

Just watched Black Swan on bluray. That truly is a great movie! Just such passion & a wonderful celebration of cinema! It only gets better with each viewing in my opinion.

Also, Steven Soderbergh put out his entertainment list from last year- pretty awesome list overall, he watched Raiders of the Lost Ark three times last year...in B&W! He also watched The Room between two viewings of The Social Network. LOL

http://media40.wnyc.net/media/resources/2011/Apr/06/Soderberghs_list.pdf

Eva Yojimbo
Redbeard
Redbeard

Postby Eva Yojimbo » Tue Apr 12, 2011 3:34 am

I saw Evangelion 2.22: You Can (Not) Advance last night...

Holy Mother-of-Godfuck that was amazing... just when I thought I was safe from all the weeaboo/anime hype that's so obnoxious around here... just when I start thinking I'm growing into the classically cynical, hard-assed critic unfazed by new crap, that's always the same as the old crap, but just not as good... just when I start thinking that maybe Anno ISN'T a genius and I've just overhyped him because of my initial experience with NGE...

Well, fuck it... if I wasn't completely blown to hell. It's certainly not perfect, and I still think it suffers from some of the rushed pacing problem of the first, but... Geez... if those aren't some of the most spellbinding battles ever conceived in anime, and if that isn't one of the most mindblowing endings ever conceived in fiction. How the hell does Anno take ep. 18 and 19, two of the greatest episodes in TV history, two of the most dramatic works of fiction EVER, change them THAT MUCH, and create something that's just as riveting as the original? It was like seeing it for the first time all over again...

Right now, it's a 9.5. It definitely needs a rewatch.

View Original PostOz wrote:Ingmar Bergman's The Silence: Without a few over the top moments this could be a genuine masterpiece even by Bergman's high standards. A complex take on the "silence" between all the characters who are wandering around looking for love and intimacy. Strong characterization and impeccable form guarantee an interesting ride.
I gave it a 9.0 myself. Definitely a precursor to Persona. You can definitely see the Marienbad influence there.

View Original Postbackseatjesus wrote:Dr. Strangelove

First time I watch it, I loved it. This time though..... it didn't click with me at all.
I've seen it probably 8 times and it's clicked with me every time...
We're all adrift on the stormy seas of Evangelion, desperately trying to gather what flotsam can be snatched from the gale into a somewhat seaworthy interpretation so that we can at last reach the shores of reason and respite. - ObsessiveMathsFreak
Jimbo has posted enough to be considered greater than or equal to everyone, and or synonymous with the concept of 'everyone'. - Muggy
I've seen so many changeful years, / to Earth I am a stranger grown: / I wander in the ways of men, / alike unknowing and unknown: / Unheard, unpitied, unrelieved, / I bear alone my load of care; / For silent, low, on beds of dust, / Lie all that would my sorrows share. - Robert Burns' Lament for James

Oz
Finland Miracle
Finland Miracle

Postby Oz » Tue Apr 12, 2011 4:00 am

View Original PostEva Yojimbo wrote:Well, fuck it... if I wasn't completely blown to hell. It's certainly not perfect, and I still think it suffers from some of the rushed pacing problem of the first, but... Geez... if those aren't some of the most spellbinding battles ever conceived in anime, and if that isn't one of the most mindblowing endings ever conceived in fiction.

:w00t:

I find the film so mindblowing in overall that it overcomes whatever flaws it might have. It has been a solid 10 for me ever since I saw it for the first time and I've rewatched it 3 times already.

---

Frankenheimer's Seconds: Shot in a wonderfully nauseating way although I'd like to complain that Frankenheimer doesn't let the viewer rest enough. Even the content is solid and almost thought-provoking under the flashy execution.

Eva Yojimbo
Redbeard
Redbeard

Postby Eva Yojimbo » Tue Apr 12, 2011 4:30 am

View Original PostOz wrote:I find the film so mindblowing in overall that it overcomes whatever flaws it might have. It has been a solid 10 for me ever since I saw it for the first time and I've rewatched it 3 times already.
Yeah, I can understand that. It certainly made an impact, but I still can't help but lament certain constraints posed on it by being in feature-length form instead of TV form. The biggest complaint is that the whole Mari/Asuka introduction and development is a mess. Hopefully they can fix that in 3 and 4.

C.A.P.
Wabbit Duelist
Wabbit Duelist

Postby C.A.P. » Tue Apr 12, 2011 5:46 am

View Original PostEvangelionFan wrote::lurk:

Clearly, you are without ten females.

...I don't get it.
"Free-associative internet ravings know no proprietors."-Azathoth
"Cinema's value is that it is inhuman."-chee
"I only meant to stay a while."-ELO

Return to “Film and Video”