From Your Lips to the Author's Ears: Story Ideas

Everything Evangelion Fanfiction related.

Moderators: Derantor, Board Staff

El Squibbonator
Nerv Employee
Nerv Employee

Re: From Your Lips to the Author's Ears: Story Ideas

Postby El Squibbonator » Mon Mar 05, 2018 7:26 pm

What was it called?
Life can seem a challenge. Life can seem impossible. It's never easy when so much is on the line.

Do you like Eva? Do you like Pokemon? Then check out Neon Genesis Evangelemon-- You Can (Not) Catch 'Em All thread/16052/Neon-Genesis-Evangelemon/

VUX
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

Postby VUX » Mon Mar 05, 2018 10:07 pm

View Original Postamitakartok wrote:That "Shinji gets a wish fulfillment family composed of a dozen characters from different series, both western and anime" one.

Haven't actually read it, mind you; I didn't have the stomach to even finish the first chapter.

What's was so bad about it, could you give me some details?
"When life gives you problems..., get into the robot!"

"We VUX wanted peace with humans, until they day that insult was thrown"
"Where's you're ogrelord now laddeh?" Drek

Asuka'sBigBrother
Banned

Postby Asuka'sBigBrother » Tue Mar 06, 2018 3:09 am

It's an interesting premise for a comedic one shot. Making a serious story around it would be tricky though.
Just a big bro looking out for sistah

Mess with this crew, and I'll give you a blister

VUX
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

Postby VUX » Mon Mar 12, 2018 5:00 pm

Would a crossover with Gyo Tokyo Fish Attack be far fetched or interesting?
"When life gives you problems..., get into the robot!"

"We VUX wanted peace with humans, until they day that insult was thrown"
"Where's you're ogrelord now laddeh?" Drek

El Squibbonator
Nerv Employee
Nerv Employee

Postby El Squibbonator » Tue Mar 13, 2018 7:39 am

I thought you were done doing this stuff, VUX! Seriously, stop.
Life can seem a challenge. Life can seem impossible. It's never easy when so much is on the line.

Do you like Eva? Do you like Pokemon? Then check out Neon Genesis Evangelemon-- You Can (Not) Catch 'Em All thread/16052/Neon-Genesis-Evangelemon/

Gob Hobblin
First Ancestor
First Ancestor

Postby Gob Hobblin » Tue Mar 13, 2018 12:18 pm

View Original PostVUX wrote:Would a crossover with Gyo Tokyo Fish Attack be far fetched or interesting?

You tell me, VUX.
Though, Gob still might look good in a cocktail dress.
-Sorrow

Rei wanted to know what waffles tasted like.
-Literary Eagle

We have to remember what's important in life: friends, waffles, and work. Or waffles, friends, and work. But work has to come in third.
-Leslie Knope

Come read EVA Sessions! This place has it, too! There'll be pizza! Not really! There are other things, too! Not EVA Sessions! Did I mention the pizza!?

AngelNo13Bardiel
Still Ill
Still Ill

Postby AngelNo13Bardiel » Fri Mar 16, 2018 3:43 pm

Here's a couple I haven't fully planned out yet (they're mostly just the framework only at this point), but could be something I get uploaded in due time:

some of Bardi's dumb ideas  SPOILER: Show
-Bleed Like Me-
Basic, rough outline: one of the Children living at Misato's place wakes in the night and manages to see the other (not sure who is in what role yet, that'll be determined later) engaging in a little self-harm when they think no one else is up. They witness the relief it causes (or at least seems to) the other, puts the idea in their head to try it themselves, things kind of spiral from there...
Long story short, I kind of want to do a little bonding-through-cutting between those two. I don't even know if this one will make it to the writing stage: the subjects that this one will cover are more than a might touchy, and even if you do get it right it might still end up triggering some readers. Still, the idea's there, just a matter of whether or not it'll make it to being published.

-Fear and Loathing in Tokyo-3-
This one's just what it says on the tin: either the Children or Misato and PenPen (either group is ripe for hilarity) go on the most epic bender the planet has ever seen following returning from the LCL Sea, all while looking for enlightenment and the meaning of life after the apocalypse. Don't have much more than that, but I've had this one in mind for at least a couple of years. Again, might never see the light of day...but I have been known to stray from the norm from time to time. Who knows, eh?
Evangelion fan since 15 October 2002, Evangelion fanfiction writer since 1 April 2004. (FFN) (AO3)
Current avatar: Don't mind Mr. Joel--after all, he didn't start the dumpster fire that is 2020.
Don't bend; don't water it down; don't try to make it logical; don't edit your own soul according to the fashion. Rather, follow your most intense obsessions mercilessly. - Franz Kafka
Clones to the left of me, tsunderes to the right...and here I am, stuck in the middle with Shinji. - how I view my experience with Evangelion
-When it comes to Asuka/Shinji, pre-EoE is like moving Mount Everest and post-EoE is like moving the Olympus Mons. Either way, it's moving a mountain. It's just the size of said mountain.-

amitakartok
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

Postby amitakartok » Sun Mar 18, 2018 9:33 am

Recent discussion of "what if the pilots were young adults instead of teens" made me think.

How much would it change cast dynamics if Rei's biological age matched her chronological one, ie. prepubescent? No change in personality, just age, still goes to the same class as the others (hey, if Asuka could do college by 14, why couldn't Rei do middle school by 10?).
Strategic Cyborg Evangelion : an average author's aspiring attempt at awesomeness. Currently at chapter 42.

Mana, Mayumi and Sakura: the TRUE goddesses of Eva

Asuka'sBigBrother
Banned

Postby Asuka'sBigBrother » Wed Mar 21, 2018 3:48 am

View Original PostErgoProxy wrote:It's made already. 10 minutes of pure awesomeness; mecha starts circa about in 6th minute. :tongue:

(I hope it's available in your country without Polish proxy or something.)

Watched a couple of episodes, NGL, I kinda love this show.
Just a big bro looking out for sistah

Mess with this crew, and I'll give you a blister

amitakartok
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

Postby amitakartok » Wed Mar 28, 2018 9:36 am

Last year, I brainstormed a bit on the Angels coming sooner due to inspiration by Pacific Rim. Specifically, early proto-Angels first started showing up in the late 1940s and were weak enough to be defeated with conventional military forces, but casualties were always so high that neither side of the Cold War had the resources to butt heads with each other, resulting in a slightly calmer Cold War. By the 1970s, development of high-yield non-nuclear munitions like the ol' Daisy Cutter had made Angel attacks more manageable, but the proto-Angels were slowly getting stronger as Adam's awakening drew near. Then in the late seventies, a proto-Angel attacked Okinawa, the US garrison DC'd it into submission and the remains were turned over to the Japanese for study. Based on this proto-Angel, the first generation of Eva prototypes was created in the mid-1980s (it took so long because of the need to keep the project a secret from the USSR so that they don't start nuclear armageddon out of fear of the Evas being used against them) and used to fight off proto-Angel attacks quite effectively until the Lost Decade hit and the program was mothballed for cost reasons.

It was resurrected in the late nineties due to increased frequency of proto-Angel attacks. Humanity managed to track the source of the Angels to Antarctica - but when Adam awakened, it mopped the floor with the second-generation Evas accompanying the Katsuragi Expedition to safeguard them from proto-Angel attacks, Second Impact ensued (although it wasn't as destructive as in canon; it would've been if Adam would've been left to awaken on its own, but the expedition woke it prematurely specifically to prevent that; even so, about 70-80% of the Antarctic landmass was vaporized, increasing atmospheric humidity to the point where it altered global weather until it rained back down and raised the sea level instead) and the real Angels started attacking. The second-gen Evas are just barely holding the line and it's clear that they're fighting a losing war. Cue the scramble to create a third-gen Eva design based on Adam to fight back, which is where Shinji's generation comes in (first-gen was Yui & Gendo, second-gen was Misato and possibly Ritsuko).

I think this could be fun. How about it?
Strategic Cyborg Evangelion : an average author's aspiring attempt at awesomeness. Currently at chapter 42.

BlueBasilisk
Bridge Bunny
Bridge Bunny

Postby BlueBasilisk » Fri Apr 06, 2018 12:09 am

I've had an idea picking at my brain for a while now. What if during the course of Episode 16, the Wunder, its Evas and its entire support fleet came bursting out of Leliel instead of the proper Unit 01? I really love the idea of characters from differing Eva continuities crossing over and playing off of each other. If they come from the same continuity, or a similar one (like Anima to NGE) then the story is pretty much destined to turn into your run of the mill Peggy Sue story where characters from the future go back and change the timeline, and that idea has gotten rather stale, I think. "Something strange popping out of Leliel" is also a well-worn trope but it's about the best opportunity for something unexpected to happen within the original continuity.

I was thinking that the Wunder somehow flew into the Gates of Guf during a hypothetical 3.0+1.0 scenario, and the black void beyond somehow connects to the same space as the Dirac Sea and the Wunder's unique abilities allow it to safely traverse the two dimensions. As for what happens with Shinji, two options immediately came to mind: he and Unit 01 are picked up by Wunder on the way through and returned to his own world, or, if there's interest in exploring the flip side of the scenario, the two of them could be dropped out in the post Fourth Impact world of Rebuild.

First Contact here would be a fascinating legal and diplomatic dilemma. You have the introduction of an entire military force, no less than two highly advanced Evas, and a warship that could quite possibly conquer to the world dropped into an already dicey and complicated game of shadows in a world strapped for resources. Plus, the government/body WILLE answers to is in their own world. Who, if anyone, would they answer to here? And to further complicate matters, initial contact would happen with NERV, albeit a somewhat different NERV than the one they left behind and one that hasn't hit the really villainous part of the story just yet. Right off the bat, several characters would be running into their counterparts.

And here's why I like the idea of a cross-continuity encounter; WILLE can't just magically make everything better. Yeah, they do have intel that NERV and Seele are up to no good that is correct in the general sense, but the details are very, very different in the two worlds, especially in regards to Seele and what they're up to. And since the characters also have differing histories, they don't have all the correct answers to each others' personal problems. For example, I don't think the two Asukas would get along very well at all. Soryu's going to start feeling more insecure about her position as the story moves into the descent arc and having a more experienced Asuka with a more advanced Eva around will probably trigger her fear of being replaced something fierce. And Shikinami probably would not have any patience for Soryu's..ah...antics with Kaji or other moments where she tries to assert her maturity.

I'd love to write a story using this idea as a prompt, but the knowledge of diplomatic/military/political procedure that would be required (especially at the start) is really daunting and I know little of that stuff. :lol: And the biggest hurdle for any kind of NGE story like this is making the plot veer off in an interesting direction so you aren't just running through the checkpoints of canon with a few extra characters stapled in here and there and only enacting significant change at the End of Evangelion.

Or here's a somewhat less complicated variant: what if Kaworu and Eva Mark.06 emerged instead? Would he have any sort of loyalty toward Seele since their plans are so different from what he was trying to do, would he be sincere in his desire to help Shinji find happiness (even if it is a different Shinji), or would he actually pursue his own agenda since he shows more determination and free will than his counterpart?
Someday I hope that we'll be reunited if that is what's destined to be. Perhaps we'll discover that elusive bible. And then we will finally be free!

amitakartok
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

Postby amitakartok » Sun Apr 29, 2018 7:34 pm

Stuff I posted elsewhere. Someone might care, but more likely not.

I once proposed an idea of giving Evangelion the magical girl treatment, although with a Body Horror Bio Punk flavor. What I thought of now is something different: a more conventional magical girl story where the girls' power originate from a Cosmic Keystone that arrived to Earth while the girls were still in the womb. The Angels got their power in the same way and are now swarming to Earth to acquire the source for themselves.

Thing is, the Cosmic Keystone is not just hidden somewhere, but is actually embedded into Shinji. As a consequence, Shinji's raw power is through the fucking roof to begin with and keeps growing until the end, by which point she's literally omnipotent. And I don't mean that metaphorically: she can literally remake reality with a thought.

But that doesn't mean much: the Angels are immortal and keep coming back again and again, dragging themselves through the dirt with sweat and blood to keep fighting for the artifact because all the suffering they went through to get it would be meaningless if they failed.

In the end, Shinji concludes that with all the crap everyone went through to control the artifact, everyone would be better off if it never existed and erases it from existence along with herself, since she was so closely tied to it as its host that removing and destroying it without killing her was impossible. And it would not be treated as a noble and heroic Face Death with Dignity: Shinji very much does not want to die and would behave just like any other young girl about to die due to circumstances outside their control.

One mental image I had was of Shinji's final form.

Old Evangelion stories often had the Evas have translucent orange energy wings as a Super Mode, yes? What Shinji would have instead is a million wings painted in a constantly-shifting kaleidoscope of colors that hurts the eye just to look at and is impossible to tell where one wing ends and another begins because the very fabric of reality is twisting around them. The whole thing would have a very surreal and confusing style to it; instead of something saintly or divine, she'd look more like a Humanoid Abomination with the wings, signifying her gradually losing her grip on her physical humanity as her power transcends the boundaries of reality...

...and it scares the shit out of her because she knows she can't stop it.

Slept one on this idea.

Now I'm thinking this: the artifact that empowered everyone has already done this to several planets before, resulting in a repeating pattern.
  • Artifact passes near planet A and empowers a bunch of people against their will.
  • Team A discover that although they're now immortal, prolonged isolation from the artifact will cause lethal withdrawal.
  • Team A discover that the artifact recently passed by planet B.
  • They attack planet B in order to acquire the artifact and survive but are fought off by local empowereds. Both sides are immortal but since team B's exposure was more recent, they last longer than team A who eventually die from withdrawal.
  • Team B realize that they're going to die too and attack planet C, who similarly go on to attack planet D, who attack planet E, who attack planet F, etc. ad infinitum.

Earth is just the most recent planet this cycle has happened to and the Angels were the previous one. Wherever the artifact goes, death and destruction will follow due to how the people empowered by it are dependent on it. What differentiates this time from the rest is that Shinji is in a unique position to destroy the artifact and end the cycle for good - but doing so will kill both the Angels and her friends. If she doesn't destroy it, however, she will make Earth a target for everyone aware of the artifact's power.

eldomtom2
Lilith

Postby eldomtom2 » Sun Aug 19, 2018 5:07 pm

One change to Misato that I think could make for some very interesting stories: Misato knows about Instrumentality from the start, but not just that: she's for it and in on the conspiracy. This has the potential to change her relationships with Shinji and Asuka (and the rest of the cast, especially Kaji) in all sorts of interesting ways. Probably best suited to being told from her perspective.

amitakartok
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

Postby amitakartok » Fri Nov 16, 2018 5:53 pm

While I know this post will likely be ignored, as my usual brainstorming in this direction tends to be... if Shinji were a girl, would that make Asuka's life easier due to no longer having to put up with confusing and infuriating emotions associated with teenage crushes?

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

Postby pwhodges » Fri Nov 16, 2018 6:08 pm

My understanding is that crushes would still be possible in that situation. Also, or alternatively, a greater degree of competitiveness and/or jealousy.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: The end of the journey (details); Past avatars.
Before 3.0+1.0 there was Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

amitakartok
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

Postby amitakartok » Fri Nov 16, 2018 6:26 pm

Actually, I was thinking that both remain straight. And Shinji would also benefit from lack of distracting emotions when interacting with Asuka, without a hormone-clouded brain getting in the way.

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Mr. Tines » Sat Nov 17, 2018 3:20 am

Schoolgirl crushes on older/popular/talented girls are a thing -- you'll find them in English school stories for girls, not just in Japanese Class S material. But in this case it would be likely to be Shinjiko crushing on the immensely popular red-head (along with all the others in Episode 9).
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

Kendrix
Defender of Puppy Boy
Defender of Puppy Boy

Postby Kendrix » Wed Nov 28, 2018 4:02 pm

Asuka was perfectly capable of seeing Rei as a rival tho (if anything, being the same gender would intensify rivalry)

Of course some would debate wether Shinji is 100% hetero at all. Since m!Shinji never found out

Do you flip all characters & play with how this might impact known dynamics or perception, or just Shinji?

You probably wouldn't have as many people lusting after an equally taciturn and powerful fem!Gendo in keeping with this general ignoring & pidgeonholing of middle-aged women, and her lack of parenting skill may have been seen somewhat differently, also, there'd probably be accusations that she slept with man!Yui to get her position.

Something I've always mantained is that since one's relation to Gender roles has to do with once's suceptibility to social convention and desire to impress others, rather than making androgynous boys into girly girls, androgynous characters should stay so while manly men should be girly girls and visce versa.

Dude!Misato should be a manly playboy for the same reason that girl!Misato acts flirty and fanservicey (perojecting confindence, positivity & being accepted)

Then there's the possibility of (still male Kensuke) making a move on girl!Shinji after the same circumstances that led their same gender counterparts to become best friends
I wanted to try harvesting the rice

I wanted to hold Tsubame more

I wanted to stay together forever with the boy I like

amitakartok
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

Postby amitakartok » Wed Nov 28, 2018 8:51 pm

View Original PostKendrix wrote:Do you flip all characters & play with how this might impact known dynamics or perception, or just Shinji?

Just Shinji for now, though the temptation is there to flip Kaworu as well because it would be amusing to watch the interaction between Asuka and Kaori.

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

Postby Reichu » Thu Feb 27, 2020 10:59 am

さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

Return to “Fanfiction”