From Your Lips to the Author's Ears: Story Ideas

Everything Evangelion Fanfiction related.

Moderators: Derantor, Board Staff

Cody MacArthur Fett
Bardiel
Bardiel

From Your Lips to the Author's Ears: Story Ideas

Postby Cody MacArthur Fett » Mon Dec 20, 2010 4:18 pm

Wow, been a while since I used that title for a thread. First time was all the way back on November 28th, 2007, I was still signing things with "Ita Dicimus Omnes" back then. How time flies, eh?

Anywho, I'm setting this thread up as a repository for story and fic ideas that the Geeks here think up, with the hope that all such ideas will be regulated to here instead of getting their own thread. And just to cover all the bases, here's a link to the Spacebattles thread where a large number Evangelion ideas and brainstorming sessions are shared, feel free to look through it and salvage ideas at your leisure.

Now, I'll start with a rather simple idea as an example, and then y'all can descend upon each others' minds like a pack of hungry wombats.

#1: Shinji and Asuka come home from school to find Misato and Pen-Pen doing upside-down pull-ups on a metal bar in the doorway to her bedroom. When they ask what she's doing she says that she felt she was getting too out of shape, and then announces that they too shall be involved in her new exercising regime. So begins a new physical regiment of pain and toil for Shinji and Asuka as running to school with backpacks full of rocks in the morning soon becomes the least of their worries.
Sic Semper Tyrannus
Carry on.

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Mr. Tines » Mon Dec 20, 2010 4:26 pm

Not sure I'll ever get around to this one...

View Original PostMr. Tines wrote:So EVA-03 and EVA-04 make it safely to Tokyo-3; pilots Suzuhara and Horaki are inducted. Something in the initial tests makes Touji come over all protective in a "a guy's gotta do what a guy's gotta do" sort of way. Hikari thinks she's finally gotten through to him but he's still oblivious; and we have another disconnected couple.

Meanwhile Bardiel manifests, and I'm afraid it's Asuka who looks most disposable at this point. EVA-02 goes amok. Hikari and Shinji won't fight; Rei is ineffective, Touji tries but hesitates at a critical moment, and then - well things get a bit like in NME. Asuka spends the rest of the series in Room 303.

Hikari tries to comfort Shinji, but he can't face human contact, and quits.

Zeruel arrives and it's up to Touji and then Rei to try and hold it back. When EVA-03 falls, it's Hikari who then oversynchs in EVA-04 while Shinji is talking gardening and philosophy with Kaji.

Rei takes the lead against Arael as planned; retreats promptly, and then employs the Lance

Armisael vs Shinji, Rei and Touji (Hikari is held back for the same reason that canonically Shinji was) - this one could go in any of a number of different ways; but rather than saying that 3 Evas are enough to defeat it, say that Touji has to sacrifice himself. Ritsuko and Shinji still play out their parts for the rest of that episode.

Cue Tabris, and a brief Hikari/Kaworu pairing (Has anyone ever done that pairing before???)

End-game: Gendo's scenario is having to be revised on the fly as Yui-sama doesn't have an S2; SEELE are probably happy enough to employ EVA-04 as the medium for their plan. Shinji is probably useless, but would be stuffed into the entry-plug and EVA-01 dropped to the bottom of the lake while Hikari, operating without Asuka's limits, is able to eventually take down the harpies.

Instrumentality proceeds as GNR erupts - but who guides the process? Ikari-kun who is calling from the bottom of the lake, or Hikari in the spiritually active EVA-04?
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

BiQ
Sahaquiel
Sahaquiel

Postby BiQ » Mon Dec 20, 2010 4:39 pm

#3: Series of speculative one-shots where each installment tries to explore the possible world what would have born from the victory of each angel, and destruction of Lilin.

Well, that would be interesting but to make it actually work one should probably dive deep into the religious symbolism fanwankery pit.
Last edited by BiQ on Thu Jan 06, 2011 5:38 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Nightweaver20xx
Tunniel
Tunniel

Postby Nightweaver20xx » Mon Dec 20, 2010 6:29 pm

#408635 Gendo kidnaps Asuka and rapes her. Hilarity ensues when word leaks out.
"The tranquil angel's thesis has ended, so now it is beginning/ Clinging tightly to the life you protect/ You will receive an answer from that dream~
--Epilogue of Evangelion

The story is never over as long as humans can still love one another.

[url]http://www.furaffinity.net/user/Nightweaver20xx[/url]

Cody MacArthur Fett
Bardiel
Bardiel

Postby Cody MacArthur Fett » Mon Dec 20, 2010 6:32 pm

A note for posters: please number all your story ideas. It may not seem like much, but trust me, when this thread gets to be 700 posts long -- and it will get to be 700 posts long -- you're going to be wishing for these things to be numbered.
Sic Semper Tyrannus
Carry on.

Kendrix
Defender of Puppy Boy
Defender of Puppy Boy

Postby Kendrix » Tue Dec 21, 2010 2:45 pm

I might use them myself if I have the time but how about those:

#1 "The Juniorpimp"
A FF that features Shinji 'getting at it' with his entire Harem one after another. Asuka, Mana, Mayumi, Misato, Mari, Kaworu, Rei II and perhaps Rei III. (Feel free to add other resident hotties for fun or stick to those seven/eight to give it at least a 'seblance' of Canon)

#2 "Keepsake"
Yui's and Gendo's love story told in a several little scenes separated by '---'s with bits of Shinji/Rei intermixed as some sort of Parallel/comparision (which doesn't mean that Gendo gets compared to Shinji and Yui to Rei - both the kids have similarities with both the adults; As Shinji is the kid of both and Rei comes from Yui, but was raised by Gendo), and Shinji's SDAT Player (and it's 'backstory' from Rebuild, tough the story itself doesn't necessarily have to be Rebuildverse) as a connecting Element; tieing in with Gendo's statement about Yui teaching him about things that are worth remembering (Might or might not be in anarchronical order, MUST contain a scene where Gendo can't bring himself to throw the player away and lil Shinji ends up picking it up)

#3 Something about the process of Rebuild!Asuka's
SPOILER: Show
maturation/ decision to give up on Shinji/ The Moment where she realizes that Rei luvz Shinji much more

#4 A Conversation between Rei and Kaworu about "Faint Memories of eternity"/ their SoL-related origins, ending with Kaworu (who doesn't seem all that burdened with that) giving Rei (whoat least in her 2nd Incarnation feared loosing her individuality to the "dark, intangible presence inside her darkest dreams") advice on how to deal with it better/ combat the fear that her existance as "Rei Ayanami" could lose its meaning. May or may not contain Shinji or conversations about him.
You could use any of the Reis tough no III didn't seem to like Kaworu very much/no II was way more bothered by the Lillith thing
I wanted to try harvesting the rice

I wanted to hold Tsubame more

I wanted to stay together forever with the boy I like

Cody MacArthur Fett
Bardiel
Bardiel

Postby Cody MacArthur Fett » Tue Dec 21, 2010 3:15 pm

What I meant was for ideas to be numbered overall. Like this.

#8: A dark cloud descends over Tokyo-3 when Asuka proclaims that knife fighting is more physically demanding then sniping. Now it's a competition between the two to declare the superiority of their fighting style and secure the position of Alpha Female, and Shinji's caught in the middle. Will he be able convince the girls to call of their impromptu biathlon, or will be crushed between his fellow pilots and their training regiments?

#9: Branching off from the standard "Shinji raised by someone else" fic, it's the other pilots' turn to get in on the action. More specifically, Rei as raised by the crew of the Bebop.

#10: After Yui's death Kyoko overhears Gendo's saying that he won't be able to take care of Shinji anymore and offers to take care of Shinji herself. Unfortunately, Kyoko still goes insane and kills herself, so now it's up to little Shinji and Asuka to take care of each other and survive in the world. Skip forward ten years and Asuka finally meets up with her "little big brother" after four months of separation.
Sic Semper Tyrannus
Carry on.

Cody MacArthur Fett
Bardiel
Bardiel

Postby Cody MacArthur Fett » Thu Jan 06, 2011 5:34 pm

#11: OK, here's an idea I recently came up with regarding the contact experiments: what if the results of the contact experiments were reversed? What if it was Kyoko who was absorbed into Unit-02, and it was Yui who went insane and eventually killed herself? How would the series turn out then?
Sic Semper Tyrannus
Carry on.

Sun Stealer
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

Postby Sun Stealer » Sun Mar 06, 2011 11:07 am

An eva/metal gear solid crossover. That is all.

TehDonutKing
Camel Dilettante
Camel Dilettante

Postby TehDonutKing » Sun Mar 06, 2011 4:21 pm

13#. What if Yui was sterile?
#14. Shinji, Alucard, Scarlet Flandre, and Hinata Hyuuga team up to fight the Legions of Hell, eventually destroying Satan.
Also, the vampires get a sex scene, and so doth the human couple.
/hj

I said and did some dumb and hurtful things in my time here when i was younger. If i ever hurt you, i'm sorry. If you see any of this while reading old threads, i'm learning and trying to improve. Donut redemption arc in progress.

BiQ
Sahaquiel
Sahaquiel

Postby BiQ » Tue Mar 08, 2011 5:54 am

#15: AU fic, where Shinji starts getting training at an early age (basically after being abandoned by Gendo) in life and martial arts, Thousand Shinji -esque, with his sensei being... Segata Sanshiro.

(yes, I got this idea from reading that ND thread at spacebattles)

arkiel
Nerv Employee
Nerv Employee

Postby arkiel » Tue Mar 08, 2011 10:30 am

I'd do this if I wasn't doing three other things already:

Rewrite the middle portion of the original series to focus on Asuka matriculating in Japan.

The middle episodes were the most boring, and Asuka's character is the least explored. Seriously, a mostly-gaijin visiting Japan for the first time and not ending up hiding in her closet under a futon and trying to not pull her own hair out isn't especially...argh... 'realistic.'

Start during the activation sequence during the Pacific Fleet incident when she's frustrated by Shinji's lack of German -- that's probably the most naivete she shows in the series that somehow doesn't involve Kaji, a Japanese kid knowing German? Are you retarded? -- and end with her in the bathtub, broken down, right before Section 2 finds her, talking to herself in Japanese. I always loved that scene because that line, spoken in a moment of private indifference, was not in German.
The Weaver - Shinji and a Mad Spider God.
The Foregone Conclusion - Two years into a seemingly endless Angel War.
Wake Up, Ikari! - Wake. The Fuck. UP.
Branching Paths - Specifically 1B, 3B, 6A. Shinji goes crazy and kills a bunch of chinstrap geese.
Beneath, Shinji deals with a ten-year timeskip.

BornIn1142
Sandalphon
Sandalphon

Postby BornIn1142 » Tue Mar 08, 2011 12:40 pm

Do you really feel that Asuka's character is the "least explored," arkiel?

View Original PostKendrix wrote:#1 "The Juniorpimp"
A FF that features Shinji 'getting at it' with his entire Harem one after another. Asuka, Mana, Mayumi, Misato, Mari, Kaworu, Rei II and perhaps Rei III. (Feel free to add other resident hotties for fun or stick to those seven/eight to give it at least a 'seblance' of Canon)

I've never actually read it, mind you, and I'm queasily realizing that I'm not entirely sure where I got this impression from, but isn't that exactly what Home/Bodies is?

View Original PostSun Stealer wrote:An eva/metal gear solid crossover. That is all.

Okay, those definitely exist.
"I'm afraid you can't create tragedy out of abnormal psychology." - Andrew Sarris.

arkiel
Nerv Employee
Nerv Employee

Postby arkiel » Tue Mar 08, 2011 1:19 pm

Her identity as a gaijin is almost totally unexplored, which in turn taints her character with an air of expedient ignorance on the part of the people writing her. Hideaki Anno said in an interview he wanted to devote more time to Asuka's period, but he couldn't be bothered to flesh out her gaijin background beyond a justification for her hair color, some naive assumptions on her part during the Pacific Fleet event, and some late-game observations by Shinji when Asuka is talking to her step-mother on the phone?

'Gaijin' as a theme could have been used to bolster the middle part of the series, I think.
Branching Paths - Specifically 1B, 3B, 6A. Shinji goes crazy and kills a bunch of chinstrap geese.

SaltyJoe
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

Postby SaltyJoe » Tue Mar 08, 2011 2:25 pm

View Original Postarkiel wrote:Her identity as a gaijin is almost totally unexplored, which in turn taints her character with an air of expedient ignorance on the part of the people writing her.

So damn true. Then again, Anno ditched the idea of focusing more on Asuka having her period because as a man, he felt he couldn't really get into that perspective. So maybe he felt the same with trying to get into the mind of a foreigner.

It's entirely possible that Anno, at some point was actually interested in doing something like that: after all, he adapted the screenplay of Ritual from a novel written by an actual Japanese/American (the daughter of Steven Seagal, no less), Ayako Fujitani. The film itself is more abstract than to directly address the question of being a "gaijin" to Japanese and a "Jap" to Americans at the same time, but it's not to difficult to connect the dots between mixed heritage and parental issues/identity crisis.

Rebuild actually tried to up the level of gaijness in Asuka, but it got stuck at the level of "loud, brash and straigthforward" vs. "quiet, subdued and indirect". Oh well, getting reminded that Shinji has daddy issues about three times every second was so much more engaging than stupid stuff like culture shock and being displaced in the world and whatnot. Anyways, igonre this last bit, as getting to much into topics involving "Asuka" and "Rebuild" at the same time will only end in tears.
"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it is too dark to read."

Sun Stealer
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

Postby Sun Stealer » Sat Mar 12, 2011 2:07 am

How about a self-insert story from the viewpoint of the characters. Imagine someone seems to know your deepest thoughts, and even seems to have knowledge of future events, and is pursuing a strange agenda. A self-insert(s) would come across as some strange cross of the G-man and the fey folk to the characters. The self-insert(s) wouldn't have to be actual self-inserts, but could simply a person or group from another dimension who saw the show, and somehow has been stuck in the middle of it. How bizarre would they be to the show's cast.

Kendrix
Defender of Puppy Boy
Defender of Puppy Boy

Postby Kendrix » Sat Mar 12, 2011 9:49 am

View Original PostBornIn1142 wrote:
I've never actually read it, mind you, and I'm queasily realizing that I'm not entirely sure where I got this impression from, but isn't that exactly what Home/Bodies is?

What is this? A fanfic? I'm hearing it for the first time. ...Link?

and about the whole Asuka thing: She gets 3 episodes devoted to her entirely, or well, 4 if you add ep 22, she is certainly not ignored in any way.
She does occassionally complain about all the japaneseness everywhere, butnah, the story's set in the far future, they expected stuff to improve.
(Or well, what was the far future back when it was made, it's like, in four years now)
Now I have never lived in Japan, but I'm decended from Immigrants myself and my overall experience has shown that nationality is generally overrated.
I wanted to try harvesting the rice

I wanted to hold Tsubame more

I wanted to stay together forever with the boy I like

BornIn1142
Sandalphon
Sandalphon

Postby BornIn1142 » Sat Mar 12, 2011 10:04 am

View Original PostKendrix wrote:What is this? A fanfic? I'm hearing it for the first time. ...Link?

[url]http://www.darkscribes.org/story/149[/url]
"I'm afraid you can't create tragedy out of abnormal psychology." - Andrew Sarris.

arkiel
Nerv Employee
Nerv Employee

Postby arkiel » Sat Mar 12, 2011 8:55 pm

View Original PostKendrix wrote:Now I have never lived in Japan, but I'm decended from Immigrants myself and my overall experience has shown that nationality is generally overrated.

Try visiting for a week. Its an experience you are unprepared for. Especially going into an environment when all forms of communication, directed and casual, are in a form you are not used to processing anywhere near as fast as English (or whatever).

Had an easy time in Europe, Chile, and Brazil. They use the alphabet. One week in Japan was almost too much for me -- and that was after three years of Japanese language classes.

As I clearly stated: her identity as a gaijin is almost completely ignored. They could have told us the point of a German girl having a Japanese guardian was to matriculate her in advance of Unit-2 being deployed, or you could consider Asuka's indifference to a radical shift in culture and language the only tangible evidence of her self-professed genius -- it was still an aspect of the story where the writers dropped the ball.

Defectron
Tentacle Girl
Tentacle Girl

Postby Defectron » Sat Mar 12, 2011 9:02 pm

#16: I think there should be a fic about a new child sent to pilot evas, but he's actually a rapping zoanoid named M.C Stryker who learned how to rap from crazy hobo Vanilla Ice. At first he's cruisin, but then another new kid shows up who might be an angel who becomes his rival D.J Justin Bieber. There is only room for one irritating muscian piloting an eva, this will be the story of who gets served... for dinner to really tall aliens..
Parasite Galaxy: An experimental webcomic

http://www.parasitegalaxy.com/ Updates Monday and Thursday. Vote for me on top webcomics

If you want to support this comic buy something from me on amazon

Return to “Fanfiction”