Favorite/Least Favorite Angel and Why

This is a forum for casual discussion of Evangelion. Topics like "Asuka is hot!" or "Which Eva kicks the most ass?" belong here.

Moderator: Board Staff

Reichu
Space-Time Teratoma
Space-Time Teratoma

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Fri May 15, 2009 11:28 pm

Oedipusfoot wrote:I didn't really like any of the Angels (with the exclusion of the obvious)...

Eh, Kaworu isn't part of the natural grouping. Doesn't count anyway.

they never struck me as something to like or dislike. I couldn't get a feel for their humanity.

NGE doesn't really give us much of a chance. I think they do a good job keeping the Angels mysterious in a pretty neutral kind of way, but a little more "insight" would have been nice. Show was never much about them, of course, but I always liked the flavor that the Angels added, and I feel like there's a lot of untapped potential.

For a couple of examples, they could:
- work in the parallel of one group of motherless children fighting another (for the futures of their respective races).
- play around a bit with the IMO rather sick irony of children being butchered by facsimiles of their mother.

Sorry if I'm rambling, I haven't slept in eons.

Alaska Slim
Frigus Ignoramus
Frigus Ignoramus

•      
  •      

Postby Alaska Slim » Sat May 16, 2009 12:25 am

Reichu wrote:NGE doesn't really give us much of a chance. I think they do a good job keeping the Angels mysterious in a pretty neutral kind of way, but a little more "insight" would have been nice.

I like the the neutral 'n "mysterious" approach, the less you know, the more terrifying/shocking things can be at the right moment. :bigeyes:

Reichu wrote:- work in the parallel of one group of motherless children fighting another (for the futures of their respective races).

I sort of liked Bokurano, but still, I'd rather Eva kept its own approach, with its horror portrayed in a "dark romantic" sense, not one that calls for further suspense of belief.
"It's all fun and games till one of you gets my foot up your ass." - FofR, TrivialBeing.net Webmaster

"I blame teenage girls for everything." - Dr. Dave

"God is in his Heaven, and free men walk upon the Earth" - Rev. Robert Sirico, President of the Acton Institute

Reichu
Space-Time Teratoma
Space-Time Teratoma

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Sat May 16, 2009 7:20 am

Alaska Slim wrote:I sort of liked Bokurano, but still, I'd rather Eva kept its own approach, with its horror portrayed in a "dark romantic" sense, not one that calls for further suspense of belief.

I wasn't making any kind of reference to Bokurano...... (Don't know a thing about it.)

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Sat May 16, 2009 7:35 am

Reichu wrote:(Don't know a thing about it.)

Your synopsis of the NGE scenario came pretty close to fitting Bokurano

Quick Bokurano facts:
* It's the super-robot title that makes NGE seem relentlessly upbeat
* Don't watch the anime after reading the manga
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics|G+|MAL
Avatar: Etoh Mei (b. 9-May-2018)

Reichu
Space-Time Teratoma
Space-Time Teratoma

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Sat May 16, 2009 5:28 pm

Mr. Tines wrote:Your synopsis of the NGE scenario came pretty close to fitting Bokurano

Totally coincidence, then. The element already is sort of there, though. It's just really, really understated.

Alaska Slim
Frigus Ignoramus
Frigus Ignoramus

•      
  •      

Postby Alaska Slim » Sat May 16, 2009 10:15 pm

Mr. Tines wrote:Your synopsis of the NGE scenario came pretty close to fitting Bokurano

Yes, she seemed to be only missing... SPOILER: ...the pilots dying after each use.

Mr. Tines wrote:Quick Bokurano facts:
* It's the super-robot title that makes NGE seem relentlessly upbeat

Eh, you sure Professor? :ehh: SPOILER: Most of the characters came to some "resolution" about their fate, and the Earth hasn't gone through even a first apocalypse yet by the ending, merely Tokyo has been leveled to a degree. Though admittedly, the pilots did have far more blood on their hands than the Eva ones.

Reichu wrote:Totally coincidence, then. The element already is sort of there, though. It's just really, really understated.

Well, I'd say the struggle there is more akin to "Neanderthal vs Sapien", than "Humanity vs Humanity" in its own right (or were you referring to EoE?).
"It's all fun and games till one of you gets my foot up your ass." - FofR, TrivialBeing.net Webmaster

"God is in his Heaven, and free men walk upon the Earth" - Rev. Robert Sirico, President of the Acton Institute

Reichu
Space-Time Teratoma
Space-Time Teratoma

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Sun May 17, 2009 12:12 am

Alaska Slim wrote:Well, I'd say the struggle there is more akin to "Neanderthal vs Sapien", than "Humanity vs Humanity" in its own right.

:facepalm:

Alaska Slim
Frigus Ignoramus
Frigus Ignoramus

•      
  •      

Postby Alaska Slim » Sun May 17, 2009 12:38 am

What, were the "motherless children" you were thinking of non-human? :huh:

Reichu
Space-Time Teratoma
Space-Time Teratoma

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Sun May 17, 2009 1:20 am

Perhaps I misunderstood whatever you meant. "Neanderthal" tends to enjoy popular usage mockingly directed at those "less evolved", and juxtaposed against our own species' rather unduly flattering name ("wise"), well...

I figured I was getting another dose of the "angels r teh st00pid" stuff again, though I guess you actually meant "two coexisting species of human compete, and only one comes out alive"?

Alaska Slim
Frigus Ignoramus
Frigus Ignoramus

•      
  •      

Postby Alaska Slim » Sun May 17, 2009 2:07 am

"Neanderthal" tends to enjoy popular usage mockingly directed at those "less evolved",

I apologize, I was counting on the common knowledge of the term, not the cultural stigma, and admittedly of all the subjects my mind likes to be encyclopedic about, the terms for the "other" species of genus Homo is not one of them (rather I know a few of their nicknames, "the giant ape", "the Hobbits", and for some reason I think of the "Cro-Magnon" as "Crow Magnes")

All right, Sapiens vs the Mulians then? If you're thinking on Ritsuko is to be believed, the latter might be better applied to the Sapiens in Eva's case. ;)

Gendo'sPapa
God
God

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Sun May 17, 2009 5:43 pm

I would just like to say that what I love about the Angels is they didn't take the easy way out by making each one "More Powerful and Dangerous Looking than the Next"! Coulda been so easy to make each one have more spikes, fangs, mouths, tentacles, etc.

NGE Shamshel still stays the least interesting for me.

Reichu
Space-Time Teratoma
Space-Time Teratoma

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Sun May 17, 2009 9:39 pm

Alaska Slim wrote:I apologize, I was counting on the common knowledge of the term, not the cultural stigma, and admittedly of all the subjects my mind likes to be encyclopedic about, the terms for the "other" species of genus Homo is not one of them

I probably would have "gotten it" right away if you'd said "H. neanderthalensis vs. H. sapiens". :tongue:

Fast Tony DeNiro
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby Fast Tony DeNiro » Sun May 17, 2009 10:13 pm

Sahaquiel is pretty boring to me. It floats in space, then drops to the earth and is stabbed to death by Rei. End of Sahaquiel.

I didn't care much for Israfel either. The episode it was in wasn't too bad but the angel itself was nothing special.

shpared
Embryo

Favorite Angel?

•      
  •      

Postby shpared » Sat Jun 20, 2009 1:27 am

Mine is Israfel

Eva Yojimbo
Redbeard
Redbeard

•      
  •      

Postby Eva Yojimbo » Sat Jun 20, 2009 1:59 am

Zeruel; any Angel that can kick that much ass in that short a period of time deserves a: :worship:
Cinelogue & Forced Perspective Cinema
^ Writing as Jonathan Henderson ^
We're all adrift on the stormy seas of Evangelion, desperately trying to gather what flotsam can be snatched from the gale into a somewhat seaworthy interpretation so that we can at last reach the shores of reason and respite. - ObsessiveMathsFreak
Jimbo has posted enough to be considered greater than or equal to everyone, and or synonymous with the concept of 'everyone'. - Muggy
I've seen so many changeful years, / to Earth I am a stranger grown: / I wander in the ways of men, / alike unknowing and unknown: / Unheard, unpitied, unrelieved, / I bear alone my load of care; / For silent, low, on beds of dust, / Lie all that would my sorrows share. - Robert Burns' Lament for James

Cypher
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Cypher » Sat Jun 20, 2009 4:20 am

I would have to say Ramiel, especially the rebuild version.

SaltyJoe
Lilin
Lilin

•      
  •      

Postby SaltyJoe » Sat Jun 20, 2009 4:50 am

Shouldn't this be a Chit-Chat thread?

Anyways, Sachiel. The way he blinks is just too adorable.

TheRatherDVD
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby TheRatherDVD » Sat Jun 20, 2009 5:59 am

Definitely Arael. The idea of it causing you to relive all the horrors of your life is utterly terrifying and disturbing. Arael, to me had this strange aura that feels majestic and powerful.
Poor old Johnny Ray
Sounded sad upon the radio, he moved a million hearts in mono.
Our mothers cried and sang along and who'd blame them.
Now you're grown, so grown, now I must say more than ever.
Go Toora Loora Toora Loo-Rye-Aye
and we can sing just like our fathers.

ultramarineblue
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby ultramarineblue » Sun Jun 21, 2009 7:18 pm

Based on aesthetic appeal alone, Sachiel is my favorite. I found his overall look very odd and grotesques, which enhanced the mood of the whole first fight for me.

CyberXIII
Bardiel
Bardiel

•      
  •      

Postby CyberXIII » Mon Jun 22, 2009 9:53 pm

Zeruel, full stop. Bardiel and Ramiel were awesome too.
"Crapsack worlds and anti heroes have their place. Sometimes, they are very necessary. But an endless diet of dreary cyberpunk and dark fantasy won't do us any more favors than an endless feast of glurge. I'd argue that the cynical nature of these really hurt our ability to hope and work for better. It gets us to accept the hopelessness and jaded outlook of things as 'That's the way it is. I can't change it,' and stops us from fighting when we NEED to fight."

I am ask-shinji-ikari on tumblr.com. Feel free to ask me questions!

Return to “Evangelion Chit-Chat”