summary of english video/DVD/blu-ray releases.

For discussion of and submissions for the EvaGeeks Wiki and Commentary. Open to all posters.

Moderators: UrsusArctos, Board Staff

nomis1242
Lilith

summary of english video/DVD/blu-ray releases.

•      
  •      

Postby nomis1242 » Mon Nov 29, 2010 5:54 am

I have an idea for a new page on the wiki: even trying to work out which Eva discs to buy is confusing! (perhaps that was planned, to serve as a warning of the impending confusion at every turn...)

Anyway, to try and make sense of it, I've put together a timeline of English releases only which is ordered by Japanese release date (if it is ordered by actual english release date it gets messed up because some translations were delayed). Apologies for the footnotes which are shown in brackets, they will be fixed up with proper superscript ones if it goes on the wiki.

***EDIT***
Finished versions are here:
html: http://www.mediafire.com/?7puzfikbia84afx
xls (better): http://www.mediafire.com/?za9motg1ro1kf5g

***/EDIT***

Could you please help me improve it: [URL]http://www.mediafire.com/?cc6f53mco5dy88x[/URL]

What have I got wrong?

Much of the information is just collated from the wiki, but there are a few holes. So if you could help out with these questions, it would be a great help thanks
1) Was "Death(true)" ever released in English?
2) Was "Death(true)2" ever released in English?
3) Was Eva 1.0 (not including 1.01 or 1.11) only seen in theatres, or is there also a DVD version?
4) Does the ADV box set "Neon Genesis Evangelion - Genesis Reborn" contain just the DC versions, or also the OA?
5) Same for "Neon Genesis Evangelion - Resurrection": just the DC, or DC+OA?
6) What is the difference between this D&R with EoE box set and this one?

Thanks!
Last edited by nomis1242 on Mon Apr 11, 2011 5:18 am, edited 4 times in total.

Ornette
Administrator
Administrator

Re: summary of english video/DVD/blu-ray releases

•      
  •      

Postby Ornette » Mon Nov 29, 2010 6:13 am

View Original Postnomis1242 wrote:3) Was Eva 1.0 (not including 1.01 or 1.11) only seen in theatres, or is there also a DVD version?

There was an Australian release of 1.01 from Red Ant (I think) where the DVD box was labeled "1.0" eventhough I think Fazmotron confirmed that it was 1.01

4) Does the ADV box set "Neon Genesis Evangelion - Genesis Reborn" contain just the DC versions, or also the OA?

The DVD contains episode 24 (On-Air), episode 24 (Director's Cut), episode 25 (On-Air), episode 25 (Video/LD), episode 26 (On-Air), episode 26 (Video/LD). The DVD itself mislabels the episode 25 and 26 under "Director's Cut":

On-Air episodes, these were the versions that were aired on TV.

Director's Cut episodes, ep24 is the Director's cut, but 25 and 26 were actually the version that was released on Video/LaserDisc in Japan.

5) Same for "Neon Genesis Evangelion - Resurrection": just the DC, or DC+OA?

These were DC and OA for episodes 21-23. They're labeled correctly.

The Eva Monkey
IT'S OVER 9000!!!
IT'S OVER 9000!!!

•      
  •      

Postby The Eva Monkey » Mon Nov 29, 2010 7:55 am

View Original Postnomis1242 wrote:I have an idea for a new page on the wiki

Dude, way ahead of you.

http://wiki.evageeks.org/North_American_Video_Releases

I need to sit down and write some copy though.

skikes
Israfel
Israfel

•      
  •      

Postby skikes » Mon Nov 29, 2010 11:13 am

Shouldn't it be labelled home media rather then home video?
What if I don't want to live in the real world?

Fazmotron
Admin Emeritus :-{|
Admin Emeritus :-{|

•      
  •      

Postby Fazmotron » Mon Nov 29, 2010 11:25 am

View Original PostOrnette wrote:There was an Australian release of 1.01 from Red Ant (I think) where the DVD box was labeled "1.0" eventhough I think Fazmotron confirmed that it was 1.01

Yep, RedAnt and labelled 1.0, even though it was 1.01. That copy is now well out of print (plus RedAnt went bankrupt), and Madman have since released 1.01 on DVD and 1.11 on DVD and Blu-ray.
[Became a moderator on August 14th, 2011. Became an administrator on September 7th, 2013.]
--Fazmotron--
A.K.A. - Ryan Farrell
How Chaz sees me.
BobBQ - I find your lack of :-{| disturbing.

FAZMOTRON.com

The Eva Monkey
IT'S OVER 9000!!!
IT'S OVER 9000!!!

•      
  •      

Postby The Eva Monkey » Mon Nov 29, 2010 12:52 pm

View Original Postskikes wrote:Shouldn't it be labelled home media rather then home video?

No.

VHS, LD, DVD, and BD are all video formats.

Media includes audio and print publishing as well. That doesn't need to be in there. Otherwise you get bloat and eventually you're just putting every domestic item into one article.

This article I created is about video shit only.

nomis1242
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby nomis1242 » Mon Nov 29, 2010 5:00 pm

View Original Postnomis1242 wrote:[URL]http://www.mediafire.com/?ddej02qeiu2ruvn[/URL]

I just tried opening the file in excel and it's "corrupted". Gah! Clearly Excel doesn't like the linux version, sorry I'll re-upload it tonight.

View Original PostOrnette wrote:There was an Australian release of 1.01 from Red Ant (I think) where the DVD box was labeled "1.0" eventhough I think Fazmotron confirmed that it was 1.01

The DVD contains episode 24 (On-Air), episode 24 (Director's Cut), episode 25 (On-Air), episode 25 (Video/LD), episode 26 (On-Air), episode 26 (Video/LD). The DVD itself mislabels the episode 25 and 26 under "Director's Cut":

These were DC and OA for episodes 21-23. They're labeled correctly.

Thanks for all the info. What is the difference between 25-26 DC and the VHS?

View Original PostThe Eva Monkey wrote:Dude, way ahead of you.

http://wiki.evageeks.org/North_American_Video_Releases

I need to sit down and write some copy though.

Yeah, cool (but yeah needs more content). I think a summary thing showing how it all fits together would be useful. Like the timeline I've put together (once I upload a file that isn't corrupt :whistle: )

View Original PostThe Eva Monkey wrote:No.

VHS, LD, DVD, and BD are all video formats.

Media includes audio and print publishing as well. That doesn't need to be in there. Otherwise you get bloat and eventually you're just putting every domestic item into one article.

This article I created is about video shit only.

I agree, but in this silly english language that we speak "video" is often associated with VHS these days (I also assumed it was a page about VHS at first). Perhaps it could be titled "... Video (inc DVD etc) releases" to avoid confusion?

Ornette
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Ornette » Mon Nov 29, 2010 5:12 pm

View Original Postnomis1242 wrote:Thanks for all the info. What is the difference between 25-26 DC and the VHS?

The ADV VHS release was the On-Air version. The 25 and 26 on Genesis Reborn that were incorrectly labeled "Director's Cuts" (There are NO Director's Cuts of 25 and 26) are the Japanese Video/LD version.

The actual difference, if you were to view them side to side next to each other, are barely noticeable. Some of the audio timing is different, some of the scene cuts that transition to and from a black screen are timed different. The eyecatches are shown in slightly different lengths of time. etc. None of it is really noticeable, but if you were to play both side by side, after a couple of minutes they'll be a little out of sync.

The Eva Monkey
IT'S OVER 9000!!!
IT'S OVER 9000!!!

•      
  •      

Postby The Eva Monkey » Mon Nov 29, 2010 5:19 pm

View Original Postnomis1242 wrote:Perhaps it could be titled "... Video (inc DVD etc) releases" to avoid confusion?

No. Because there are two means of recording a motion picture. One is film. The other is video. A video can be a tape, a disc, or a file. This is simple.

I don't know what it's like in Australia, but in North America (which the article in progress concerns) people understand that VHS, LD, DVD, BD are all video formats.

If we want to be super specific, then they are all video media formats, as just saying video formats can be interchangeable with broadcast standards or digital video file containers/codecs.

nomis1242
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby nomis1242 » Mon Nov 29, 2010 6:26 pm

View Original PostOrnette wrote:The ADV VHS release was the On-Air version. The 25 and 26 on Genesis Reborn that were incorrectly labeled "Director's Cuts" (There are NO Director's Cuts of 25 and 26) are the Japanese Video/LD version.

Woops, yeah I forgot that most of the VHS/LD and DC differences are due to Death, which doesn't cover 25-26 OA.

View Original PostThe Eva Monkey wrote:I don't know what it's like in Australia, but in North America (which the article in progress concerns) people understand that VHS, LD, DVD, BD are all video formats.

Must be an Aussie thing, to say "...Video Releases" implies VHS to the common person over here. Except relating to computer media stuff, of course (we may be "down under" but we don't go sticking VHS takes into PCs!)

View Original PostThe Eva Monkey wrote:No. Because there are two means of recording a motion picture. One is film. The other is video.
This is simple.

It's off topic, but I'm curious, could you explain please? Wikipedia kinda implies that film is a subset of video that happens to tell a story.

I thought all "motion pictures" were recorded the same way these days (digital era), regardless of whether you watch them on your couch or in a theatre?

The Eva Monkey
IT'S OVER 9000!!!
IT'S OVER 9000!!!

•      
  •      

Postby The Eva Monkey » Mon Nov 29, 2010 6:42 pm

View Original PostOrnette wrote:The ADV VHS release was the On-Air version. The 25 and 26 on Genesis Reborn that were incorrectly labeled "Director's Cuts" (There are NO Director's Cuts of 25 and 26) are the Japanese Video/LD version.

This isn't entirely accurate. ADV Films initially worked from the Japanese DVD (or was it LD?) masters for their VHS release. Eventually they caught up and fell back on broadcast masters.

This is why it goes from BOA beer to Yebisu beer, or is it the other way around?

View Original Postnomis1242 wrote:It's off topic, but I'm curious, could you explain please? Wikipedia kinda implies that film is a subset of video that happens to tell a story.

I thought all "motion pictures" were recorded the same way these days (digital era), regardless of whether you watch them on your couch or in a theatre?

Both Film and Video are mediums with which to capture a motion picture image. The move these days is towards high resolution 4K and even 5K video camera systems because the workflow and approximation to film is getting better all the time. However, there are still a lot of people who prefer to shoot on film because it will look a bit better, and because video has a certain look that filmmakers can find undesirable. For those that choose to capture using actual film stock, that film almost always gets put through a high resolution (1K to 4K) scan to create a digital intermediate for the purposes of editing. Once a final edit or digital master is created, that is then printed back to film for projection, or distributed digitally, either through an optical disc, hard drive, or direct uplink system. True 100% photochemical reel to reel film making and editing is almost completely extinct at this point. You'll probably only see it in film programs and maybe in artsy/indy film venues. I had to do some reel to reel film editing in school, I about flipped my shit. Never again.

nomis1242
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby nomis1242 » Tue Nov 30, 2010 3:51 am

Here's the diagram I've been working on, hope it works this time! [url]http://www.mediafire.com/?b46i3z95bs343dq[/url]

So, what have I got wrong/missed? Is there an English release of VHS 1-20 (I'm guessing this is related to EvaMonkey's comment about Boa/Yebisu)?

View Original PostThe Eva Monkey wrote:Both Film and Video are mediums with which to capture a motion picture image
Never again.

Cool, thanks for all the info.

The Eva Monkey
IT'S OVER 9000!!!
IT'S OVER 9000!!!

•      
  •      

Postby The Eva Monkey » Tue Nov 30, 2010 9:33 am

I think how you're laying this out is fundamentally flawed. What you're doing is creating a hybrid of two different chronologies. The release chronology of the actual programs, and the release chronology of those programs on home video media.

Also, can you set the PDF to be landscape and then rotate the contents? It will print the same, and will be readable on monitors.

Some notes:

The "Perfect Collection" refers specifically to the collected DVD release that was released some time after the final volume was released on DVD. The DVDs were derived from the same masters as the VHS. These masters were initially derived from Japanese LD (I think) and later broadcast masters as the American VHS release surpassed the Japanese release of the LD.

Death: Theatrical (Death & Rebirth)
Death(true): Satelite Broadcast (WoWoW)
Death(true)²: Theatrical (Revival of Evangelion)

Revival is the name of the theatrical re-release. If you've seen Death(true)² and The End of Evangelion, then you aren't missing anything. I'm pretty sure the version of Death that was distributed in English is the same.

The DC are not simply "with some scenes from Death added". There are numerous changes and additions, rather than just additions.

nomis1242
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby nomis1242 » Sat Dec 04, 2010 7:00 pm

Eva Monkey, thanks for your help.

View Original PostThe Eva Monkey wrote:I think how you're laying this out is fundamentally flawed. What you're doing is creating a hybrid of two different chronologies. The release chronology of the actual programs, and the release chronology of those programs on home video media.

Yeah I spose it is a bit of a mix. My plan was to use the OA series as the reference point and then order it by release date down the page. As you mention "later" is a bit ambiguous, I guess it was by order of the content's original Jap release (in cinemas for the movies, by home video release date otherwise). I'm open to suggestions for a less confusing layout...

Just for backgound info, my aim with this diagram is to help newbies understand how it all fits together and work out which releases to buy; if people want more detailed info (including extra features and included merch) they can research specific releases on the wiki/forum/web/etc.

View Original PostThe Eva Monkey wrote:Also, can you set the PDF to be landscape and then rotate the contents? It will print the same, and will be readable on monitors.

Hopefully the html version I'm trying now works better.

View Original PostThe Eva Monkey wrote:The "Perfect Collection" refers specifically to the collected DVD release that was released some time after the final volume was released on DVD. The DVDs were derived from the same masters as the VHS. These masters were initially derived from Japanese LD (I think) and later broadcast masters as the American VHS release surpassed the Japanese release of the LD.

Cool, thanks. What is the difference between the OA and LD versions of 1-20?
Does anyone know which episode ADV swapped over to the OA versions?
Is the original release of the VHS masters called "Genesis 0:1" to "Genesis 0:13"? What sets (other than Perfect) were these masters also released in?
Is "Collection 0:1" etc just the DVD re-release? Any difference to the original video release?

View Original PostThe Eva Monkey wrote:Death: Theatrical (Death & Rebirth)
Death(true): Satelite Broadcast (WoWoW)
Death(true)²: Theatrical (Revival of Evangelion)

Revival is the name of the theatrical re-release. If you've seen Death(true)² and The End of Evangelion, then you aren't missing anything. I'm pretty sure the version of Death that was distributed in English is the same.

Woops. <does> So there is no english home video release of Revival from what I can tell?
Was the first english video release of D&R / EoE in 2002? Does this mean that all the english versions of Death are Death(true)2?

View Original PostThe Eva Monkey wrote:The DC are not simply "with some scenes from Death added". There are numerous changes and additions, rather than just additions.

Thanks. Fixed.

From what I can tell, the only difference with this box set is that it came with a mousepad, is that right?

Here is the (hopefully improved) diagram: http://www.mediafire.com/?mxhu26qjc4huqoi

Also, I've changed Platinum to include the individual releases, box set release and Platinum:Perfect. Can someone please check this?
Platinum"Perfect" doesn't have D+R|EoE, does it? (strangely, the Australian "Platinum" collection I own does have the extras which are allegedly only on Platinum:Perfect)

svenge
Sandalphon
Sandalphon

•      
  •      

Postby svenge » Fri Mar 04, 2011 10:30 am

Pardon the massive data dump, but since the N.A. Video Releases page is both massively incomplete AND locked from editing, I thought it would be best to place this information here. This should cover the Volume #s, UPC codes, release dates, and episodes in a given volume for all VHS, LD, DVD, and BD releases in North America to date...

=======================================

VHS RELEASES

TV SERIES (SUBBED)
Vol 1 702727017834 Aug 20 1996 1-2
Vol 2 702727018039 Nov 12 1996 3-4
Vol 3 702727018237 Jan 21 1997 5-6
Vol 4 702727018435 Mar 18 1997 7-8
Vol 5 702727018633 May 27 1997 9-10
Vol 6 702727022234 Jul 15 1997 11-12
Vol 7 702727022432 Sep 30 1997 13-14
Vol 8 702727022630 Oct 28 1997 15-16
Vol 9 702727022838 Nov 25 1997 17-18
Vol 10 702727023033 Jan 20 1998 19-20
Vol 11 702727023231 Apr 21 1998 21-22
Vol 12 702727023439 Jun 23 1998 23-24
Vol 13 702727023637 Jul 07 1998 25-26

TV SERIES (DUBBED)
Vol 1 702727017735 Aug 20 1996 1-2
Vol 2 702727017933 Nov 12 1996 3-4
Vol 3 702727018138 Jan 21 1997 5-6
Vol 4 702727018336 Mar 18 1997 7-8
Vol 5 702727018534 May 27 1997 9-10
Vol 6 702727022135 Jul 15 1997 11-12
Vol 7 702727022333 Sep 30 1997 13-14
Vol 8 702727022531 Oct 28 1997 15-16
Vol 9 702727022739 Nov 25 1997 17-18
Vol 10 702727022937 Jan 20 1998 19-20
Vol 11 702727023132 Apr 21 1998 21-22
Vol 12 702727023330 Jun 23 1998 23-24
Vol 13 702727023538 Jul 07 1998 25-26

THEATRICAL EDITION (SUBBED)
Death + Rebirth 660200410834 Jul 30 2002
End of Evangelion 660200411039 Sep 24 2002

THEATRICAL EDITION (DUBBED)
Death + Rebirth 660200410735 Jul 30 2002
End of Evangelion 660200410933 Sep 24 2002

LASERDISC

TV SERIES
Vol 1 702727001666 May 27 1997 1-4
Vol 2 702727001765 May 19 1998 5-8

DVD

ORIGINAL RELEASES
Vol 1 702727001123 May 23 2000 1-4
Vol 2 702727001222 Nov 21 2000 5-8
Vol 3 702727001321 Jan 23 2001 9-11
Vol 4 702727001420 Feb 13 2001 12-14
Vol 5 702727001529 Mar 27 2001 15-17
Vol 6 702727001628 Apr 17 2001 18-20
Vol 7 702727001727 May 29 2001 21-23
Vol 8 702727002625 Jun 26 2001 24-26
"Perfect Collection" Box 702727030826 Apr 9 2002

"DIRECTOR'S CUT" RELEASES
Resurrection 702727081323 Jan 13 2004 21-23
Genesis Reborn 702727081422 Mar 09 2004 24-26

PLATINUM RELEASES
Platinum: 01 (w/ empty box) 702727103025 Jul 27 2004 1-5
Platinum: 01 702727078620 Jul 27 2004 1-5
Platinum: 02 702727078729 Sep 21 2004 6-10
Platinum: 03 702727078828 Nov 16 2004 11-14
Platinum: 04 702727078927 Dec 28 2004 15-17
Platinum: 05 702727079023 Feb 8 2005 18-20
Platinum: 06 702727079122 Mar 15 2005 21-23 (21-23 OA + NPC)
Platinum: 07 702727089923 Apr 19 2005 24-26 (24: OA + NPC)
"Platinum Complete" 702727132322 Nov 22 2005 (6-DVD thinpak box w/o bonus features)
"Platinum Perfect Collection" 702727181726 Nov 27 2007 (7-DVD tin)
"Complete Platinum Collection LE Holiday Special" 702727160325 Nov 18 2008 (7-DVD brick)

THEATRICAL EDITION
Death + Rebirth 660200410728 Jul 30 2002
End of Evangelion 660200410926 Sep 24 2002
Box Set 013138200594 Jul 26 2005

NEW THEATRICAL EDITION
Evangelion 1.01 704400098819 Nov 17 2009
Evangelion 1.11 704400098826 Mar 09 2010
Evangelion 2.22 704400098833 Mar 29 2011

BLU-RAY

NEW THEATRICAL EDITION
Evangelion 1.11 704400098802 Mar 09 2010
Evangelion 2.22 704400098840 Mar 29 2011

Ornette
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Ornette » Fri Mar 04, 2011 4:07 pm

Wonder why that page is protected. Did Eva Monkey import that page from somewhere?

nomis1242
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby nomis1242 » Fri Mar 04, 2011 7:46 pm

Svenge, thanks heaps for all the info. I'll check that my diagram thingo has all these releases.

Just wondering, though, was the Laser Disc release really only ep1-8? This seems very strange.

svenge
Sandalphon
Sandalphon

•      
  •      

Postby svenge » Fri Mar 04, 2011 11:03 pm

View Original Postnomis1242 wrote:Svenge, thanks heaps for all the info. I'll check that my diagram thingo has all these releases.

Just wondering, though, was the Laser Disc release really only ep1-8? This seems very strange.

It truly did only go from episodes 1-8.

There may have been several factors behind the LDs not being done for episodes 9+. You must remember that Laserdisc was in its last days after the DVD format was introduced in the USA in 1997. ADV (known as A.D. Vision at the time) had done very few laserdisc titles and were having production problems as I recall. Another guess would be that since the LD volumes were over a year behind the VHS releases, sales were probably not high enough to be profitable even with its $60/volume price point.

So between the dying format (which never did have much penetration in the USA) and the delays, the high costs, and the upcoming DVD format, it may have been inevitable that the series would never be fully released on LD.

tomrule123
Tokyo-3 Resident
Tokyo-3 Resident

•      
  •      

Postby tomrule123 » Sat Mar 05, 2011 12:27 pm

View Original Postsvenge wrote:It truly did only go from episodes 1-8.

There may have been several factors behind the LDs not being done for episodes 9+. You must remember that Laserdisc was in its last days after the DVD format was introduced in the USA in 1997. ADV (known as A.D. Vision at the time) had done very few laserdisc titles and were having production problems as I recall. Another guess would be that since the LD volumes were over a year behind the VHS releases, sales were probably not high enough to be profitable even with its $60/volume price point.

So between the dying format (which never did have much penetration in the USA) and the delays, the high costs, and the upcoming DVD format, it may have been inevitable that the series would never be fully released on LD.

With sales of VHS and DVD higher than Laserdiscs, it makes sense to not continue the series on LD due to budget. ...60 dollars per volume?! That's a lot of money wasted compared to what you get for DVD.

nomis1242
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby nomis1242 » Sat Mar 05, 2011 6:29 pm

@avenge and tomrule: Thanks, makes sense. Poor laserdisc owners! I bet these people also have a Betamax player kicking around somewhere.

Return to “Wiki Editing and Discussion”